“Keeps getting Better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Grand Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Be Live Grand Punta Cana to your Saves list
Be Live Grand Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana Higuey, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #64 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Burlington, Canada
“Keeps getting Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My Wife and I were back at this resort for our 4th Time and it just keeps getting better. They have upgraded many Restaurants on the Resort. The Italian Restaurant is new as is Mexican. The have redone the Gourmet Restaurant as well as the food at this location. The lobby has been redone and is beautiful with a new Bar run by Danni. Depending on what colour your band is there is a cost for Premium Drinks.
In less than a Year they have added 60 Ocean View rooms as wellas redone a lot of the rooms. Some of the older rooms still need to be updated.
We found the Staff to be great, from Luisa in out Building, Nicolas to Fernando to Jose. I would advise you get in touch with Victor or Koogens and his staff in Guest Services, They are extemely helpful. Windows is the main Buffet and will cater to all tastes whether you are a vegetarian or a carnivore.
Aside from what I have described, there is also the beach and the warm water of the sea.
My wife and do pay for and upgrade into Building 7, It is and extra $50.00 a day per person and it has a private bar, beach and a great room.
We will be going back again next year, we have had our first vacation together there and we our Honeymoon.
I wish they had abetter store to do some shopping in, the one there is a bit dishearting when you consider the upgrades they have done.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

3,056 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was my first trip down South and it was amazing. The resort was really nice and relaxing and everyone that works there worked so hard and were really nice. I met a worker at the pool one day named Joselopeguero and he was really nice and funny to talk to. I wish guys like him all the best and hope to return next year to see this nice young man again. This resort is a lot of fun and I would deffinantly reccommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The website for this resorts says it is a 5 star. Having never been to DR I thought maybe this is what 5-star looks like here so was willing to accept it. We had a junior suite in bldg.#15. I liked this location because it was quiet and we had a nice bartender (Nicholas). We had requested a King sized bed but received 2 doubles which was disappointing. The room was kept clean although we had to call for towels twice. The clock radio did not work nor did the tv remote (not really a big deal). Compared to other places i've been to, I would rate this hotel a 3-4 star. The LifeStyle Club pushers were mucho annoying hovering around the restaurant every day pretending to be interesteded in where you are from. We were literally pulled by the arm to meet with the sales people. Walking by areas where they were watering the grass, the stench was horrible. My husband and I were both hit with travellers diarrhea after eating in the Mexican a la carte restaurant. Then on the last day I became violently ill (from both directions) but I can't pin point which buffet item was the culprit. Sun and surf is great but what's the point if you have to spend most of your time in the bathroom. On that note, the plumbing was good!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bathurst
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was my first trip Down sought and i was nuthing of whut i expected ! The roof over the toilet was leeking on the toilet , the toilet itself was leaking the Sliding patio door couldent b locked , the safe lock on the door couldent alinged whit the pin . I reported it to the maintenance and took them 3 days to fix the problem whitout even ofering us another room ! So i add people working in my room for 3 days whitout anny privacy . The pillows smelled like they wher 100 year old .The Food was not that gr8 , the Service was not that gr8 even that we waited about 25 min in the Dinning room to get a drink from a w8ther . All our famely got Sick somehow and not due to drinking . U get bug every 5 - 10 min on the beach to buy stuff Even the staff from the hotels bugs u to buy some VIP thing ! Walk around the place and all the sprinklers smell literaly like poo ! I am defenatly not going there again and not recomending it to annyone i know .

Room Tip: Not recomended !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed in the VIP suite for a week (April-May 2012), and I definitely got what I paid for. The private bar was nice as was the pool that was directly outside of my room. The beach was well maintained and the food was standard; I was with a group of 6 so we ate at the Window's Buffet most of the time. On our last night there we ate at the Italian a la carte, which was probably the best meal I had the whole time I was there. I had a beef-mushroom appetiser and the Alfredo.

However, on our third night there, I had the night to myself as my friends went to a bar. I was too hung over from the day to go, so I decided to take a bath in my in-room Jacuzzi, which ended very, very badly. There was an issue with the hot water knob and it blew off from the water pressure, effectively spraying my whole room with water and it began to flood. The phone in our room did not work so I was unable to get a hold of the front desk right away. It was just by sheer luck there was a security guard in my hallway at the time.

He didn't speak any English, but it was obvious to him I was upset about something and he came and helped me. He called the front desk who in turn called maintenance, and someone had come to shut the water main off to our room within 20 minutes. In the meantime, the security guard was able to get the water to flow mostly into the tub so it wouldn't go all over room. For that, I'm so grateful. The plumber had it fixed in no time, and housekeeping followed soon after to clean up the water in our room. Nothing was damaged. They even came back later on in the evening to make sure I was okay and as was everything in the room.

I was very impressed with how this situation was handled. They brought someone who spoke English from the front desk to translate what was happening because my Spanish was very limited.

The security there made me feel very safe, especially during that time.

Excursions:

Imagine Cave Bar: It was very nice, but smoking is allowed INSIDE the cave bar. The line for those who had all inclusive drinks was very long and it took a long time to get drinks. Little to no space to move. I didn't really enjoy myself here.

Tour around the Island: My favorite part of the whole trip. We left at 8am for a day of caravaning around the Island with the best tour guide ever, Alex. We went horseback riding, to a plantation that grew sugarcane and tobacco that made cigars. They showed us how they were made and then gave us free samples. Also gave us free sample of Mama Juana there too. They also had a lot of hand made crafts for you to buy that were reasonably priced, and cheaper if you bartered. From there we went to a Dominican house that had been in the same family for a number of years. We learned about the fruits and everything that was grown there and I found all of it very interesting. You were able to buy fresh cocoa and coffee to bring home, in addition to what they let you try for free. We then had lunch on a mountain top which was very delicious and very beautiful. After that, we went to a beach on the other side of the Island that was very clean, warm, and beautiful as well. They gave us free drinks (Both non and alcoholic) the whole way to keep us all hydrated.

There was a lizard in my bathroom one night, but my friend who I was sharing the room with got it out no problem. We tipped our maid every day and she left us chocolates and always had a lot of beer and water in our fridge. Our sheets were changed every day and our floors were cleaned every day. She was very friendly and gave us a hug when we left.

Over all, the staff was very, very friendly. The boys in the towel rental would compare skin tones with me and joke about the poor quality of my tan, which I found hilarious.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the VIP suites. It's definitely worth the price and the service is excellent.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went to Be Live on a family reunion (someone else picked the location). Once Be Live was selected for the reunion I promptly came to TripAdvisor to read all the reviews, and to say the least I was really worried about going there. The reviews are all over the place, many terrible reviews. Before even going, I was dictating my own terrible review in my head, this is how bad I thought it would be.

So I was pleasantly surprised once we arrived. Be Live is not amazing, but it is also not terrible.

To start, we had payed for a standard room but got an unexplicable upgrade to a deluxe room in block 11. We were on the main floor with a pool right out our patio door. It was lovely. Clean, comfortable, a/c worked well, had a working clock and phone. We were very pleased. Would we have been as happy with our stay if we were in the standard room? It's hard to say.

TIP: to deadbolt your door, turn the door handle UP (so it's 90 degrees to the floor). This was not common knowledge and we found this out by chance on day 2. This way no maids or workers can walk in while you're there.

The main pool was nice but loud (near the activity centre). The kids loved it as it's not very deep, about 3 feet on one half and 4 feet in the other half. The pool outside our room was deeper and cooler, about 4.5 feet. Our 5 year old preferred this pool in the afternoon as he would get irritated by all the noise by the main pool after a morning there. If you want a good spot by the main pool, I suggest you wake up at 6:30 and go put your towels on the chairs you want right away. It was ridiculous how many spots were "reserved" by after breakfast.

The food was pretty terrible. We didn't bother going to the à la carte restaurants since it's easier to find food for a finicky 5 yr old at a buffet. But the buffet was irritating on multiple levels. The food sucked, the lines were long for the grills, and 5 people out of our group of 12 got traveller's diarrhea. 2 got it very badly. So I started dreading eating for fear of picking something up. I've been to Cuba twice, and the food was better in both Cuban resorts. For those of you who have been to Cuba, you know this is saying a lot about how bad the food is.

But the drink service at the buffet was good, and in fact we found service all around to be quite friendly, despite there being very few employees able to speak english.

The pina coladas are delicious. I loved 'em. So sweet and tasty :)

The vendors are irritating, but they got the hint since we would say "no thank you" and not even stop walking. But it was a pain to have to say "no thank you" about 10+ times a day.

The beach was disappointing, the boats being parked right off the beach makes for dirty water, you only get that beautiful aqua clear water if you walk down the left of the beach past all the resorts. The sand was lovely though, and we found chairs fairly easily, and our son loved playing in the soft sand.

In conclusion, we made the best of it and had a nice vacation, but I would never recommend this resort or go back. Definitely not a 4 star

Room Tip: Block 11 was nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ANCASTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I traveled here in December, my first time alone . I was nervous at first, but not for long. Staff are so nice and so very eager to please. I upgraded to a first floor suite on the beach. Gorgeous!
I really liked the food and the selection. I honestly would return and stay in the same room - it was so nice having my own private yard and patio. I think of my peaceful, relaxing time at Be Live and wish I could return tomorrow.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Be Live Grand Punta Cana? Share your experiences!