“Seriously Barcelo you call this a resort! Pathetic” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Dominican Beach

You added Barcelo Dominican Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Dominican Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Alemania, A-B 108 | El Cortecito, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #60 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Los Angeles, California
“Seriously Barcelo you call this a resort! Pathetic”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Now I am more than sure they are going to come up with some response saying how sorry they are. And How they are going to take my advice into consideration. But its all bull, they don't care. The staff and the this resort don't know how to do anything right.

Front Desk - Staff there overall was useless. They would cut you off before you could finish speaking. They do not make eye contact, they don't assist with hardly anything. If you need anything go to guest services. The only person worth anything at this front desk was Walvin, he followed through and helped with each request whenever we dealt with him.

Room!!!!! - The worst room I have ever seen. I found a huge patch of black mold, on the wall over the closet. This is probably because ever morning we could hear water running in the walls and then it would come out of our bathroom ceiling. The AC stopped working completely 2 entire days we were there. The sliding glass door was broken and could not be secured. The safe did not work and gave us an error code. The front door handle was almost completely coming off on the inside of the room. The "mini" bar had no liquor in it LOL. Bathroom door didn't latch. Couple of the lights didn't work. The TV remote did not work! There techs cant fix anything and they just act like they cant see the problem. This is not a safe place to stay, do not subject your family to this garbage.

Grounds - Now the grounds are very nice. The beach is also very nice and well kept. There is only one towel shack on this entire huge resort which is a pain in the rear. They had Christmas lights around all the Palms at night which was very nice. The buffet and the A la Carte restaurants were nice looking. The Disco was small and smelled pretty bad at times. There is a really cool Coffee shop that my GF and I loved. They have a sports bar or its supposed to be a sports bar but its NOT lol. There are a couple of markets which come in handy, they even had anti biotics which came in handy as i arrived with a lovely winter soar throat.

Bars - Did they have bars? Not too sure? Unless you are counting swim up bars then not really. The only bar they had was the lobby bar. Which means everyone and their momma is in the lobby? There were no loungy type bars, they are all at the beach or pools. The bar in the disco is only open 11-2. Also the lobby is mosquito central so cover up. Ohhh one thing in their favor is top shelf liquor prices are really low compared to other resorts I have stayed at. Jack is like 3 bucks and Stoli is 2.

Food - Food was not bad, it was actually better than the IFA we stayed at last year by far. But that is the only thing they did better than the IFA. Overall we were happy with the food here and the facilities.

Staff - Rude, useless, Rude, useless. Our house keeper was awesome, Santos is awesome as well, Yoirol (Flash) in the dining room was great as well. It was really like 25% great and 75% horrible staff members.

Summary - I have stayed at Barcelos before and I expected something at least decent. I will never stay at a Barcelo again, and I am insulted they thing its ok to put people in these conditions.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have been coming to this resort for many,many years now.Every time there are even more improvements.We know how hard the directors,supervisors and staff of all the departments work to make everyone's vacation a special and positive experience.The grounds are beautiful.The rooms are cleaned and made spotless every day.The buffets are fresh and have more variety than ever,and in the other restaurants the food is prepared with great care.There are times when things can go wrong or break,but they make every effort to correct them as soon as possible.While we spend our money to come here and have our expectations,our vacation will always be rewarding if we remember that this is their home.let us treat them with the respect, courtesy, and gratitude that they deserve,and even more will be given back to us.Thank you for everything!
Respectfully submitted,
Bill & Leesa

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We would like to also mention the staff at Coco Bar and the Bar by the beach Enso, Luis, Carlos, Lacy, Edison and the rest of the staff were amazing people they were very friendly and made sure they kept their customers VERY HAPPY!! We would love the see you all again soon!! We will miss you dearly!! Keep up the GREAT work you all do!! Keep Smiling and be who you are!!!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Radhames M, Gerente at Barcelo Dominican Beach, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we are glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and that especially the attentions provided for our staff, hopefully we get to serve you in the future again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Rooms: We stayed at a Jr Suite, it had a beautiful view,it was very clean and a perfect size.

Food: The restaurants we had to make reservations for were ok. We really enjoyed the Brazilian one. However we thought the buffet closest to the lobby was the best one. The morning staff was great, the dinner staff at that buffet was pretty cranky. Not all of em but a few. Not the girls at the front, they were great, but once seated and when we asked someone to get us a drink they weren't too happy.

Location: Beach front hotel great views, very clean outside and loooots of chairs to sunbathe in.

Demographics: We were a group of 4 from Los Angeles, Latinos from El Salvador and we only found one other group that was Salvadoran. The majority seemed to be from Russia, South America (Chile,Venezuela,Bolivia) and a few locals. The locals were young 18-24 but they made it extremely fun though. We got to experience what a great party environment they have how nice they dance to Bachata, merengue, Salsa, etc. We were pretty bummed when they left.

Overall: We had amazing experience at this place. We got to know soooo many staff members and they made us feel at home. In particular a bartender, Roberto Nuñez, who took a genuine interest in our group of 4 and was always willing to make sure we were being taken care of. If you go to the main lobby bar or Sports bar you'll find Roberto there ready to serve you with a smile and genuine Dominican hospitality. Yesenia at the front desk, Gabriel at the breakfast buffet, Walvin at the front desk, just to name a few. This goes to show that this place was waaaaay more than we expected. We'll definitely be back and would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Client,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and are happy to hear our beach front property, rooms and great customer service met your needs; we look forward to seeing you again at our Barceló Dominican Beach.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I am sad to be leaving. From the moment we arrived we were attended to and greeted with a drink. We met the best bartender ever, Roberto was always very kind and made excellent drinks. We always looked for him. Walvin in reception was also nice and attended to our accommodations upon arrival. Yessenia was very informative and kind. We stayed in a Jr suite that was situated close to the beach in building 6 I felt very comfortable in the room at all times. It was very clean and roomy. I was scared that it wouldn't be due to those bad reviews. But i guess those people should plan to pay more to fulfill their very HIGH expectations...

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Client,

Thank you for choosing Barceló Dominican Beach while visiting the Dominican Republic, we always enjoy hearing from our return guests that we are continuing to meet your standards; we look forward to serving you again in the future.

New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Service does not exist here and the employees who are expected to care (Front Desk and Mexican restaurant servers) are miserable. I've never been so disrespected before but the larger problem is that when you request them to fix their mistakes or broken services they literally ignore you and will walk away after laughing in your face. As when the guys scrubbing floors and emptying garbage were all so sweet and kind. Always with a smile and courteous of you around them. I'd love to know how the maintenance crew is joyful but the staff there specially for customer service were cold and rude.

The Front Desk staff just down right mean, slow and clearly miserable with their stone cold stare. Upon arrival it took over 15 minutes to check-in which is not a difficult process and there was no line. Was brought to the wrong room which I then had to fight to have corrected as my confirmation clearly stated I booked a double room not a king. The front desk called my room first thing in the morning to tell me I needed to come and see them and wouldn't tell me why. I refused to let him off the phone until someone could explain to me why I was being beaconed to the reception desk on the opposite side of the resort. After much back and forth I gave in as now I spoke to two people who could not explain why I was being dragged out of my hotel room to reception. At reception I announced myself and my room number and explained I was told to come here as the individual just looked at me and told me he didn't know why and couldn't help me. Finally someone came along who knew why I was dragged to the front desk.. It was to sign the registration form which my friend and I had filled out the day before at check in. I looked at the man and explained we already filled that out upon check in and his response was "some idiot lost it then and you need to do it again".

I purchased wifi for $30.00 USD for 7 days.. I was lucky for it to stay connected in the lobby for 4 minutes as you could only then maybe use iMessage but don't dare and try to open a webpage. Cuts out and then wouldn't work the rest of my trip. I requested a refund as the service does not work and was denied and told me I couldn't be refunded because I had already purchased it (great policy huh?)

The buffet food was decent the first day or two but after that you just eat to survive. We were able to go to three restaurants:

Italian- Amazing! Great food and super fun service.
Japanese/ Hibachi- Entertaining but the food was terrible.We arrived for our 8:00PM reservation at 8:03PM and was told they weren't ready and to wait outside. Awesome huh?
Mexican- You've been warned! The host was also our server was rude the entire time and was driving me crazy as she just paced back and forth dragging her feet, literally dragging her feat as someone was keeping her there hostage. First course came (both got the "chili") it was one round nacho chip with a dollop of chili and some shredded lettuce. We had asked for another round of drinks which never came. Our dinners came out and the food runner ask who ordered the fish as we both explain we didn't get fish. He puts it down in front of my friend and goes fish. She had to literally hand him the plate back. He takes the plate and puts it in front of me. I hand him the plate back. We asked for the menu to make sure we didn't make a mistake ordering. We opened the menu and pointed to the "steak roll" and he goes yeah and puts the fish back in front of her. Our server standing at the host stand noticed an issue and comes over and realized the order was wrong but now the food runner begins to argue her. We stood up and walked out and settled for the buffet. Funniest thing is we grabbed food from the buffet and sat down next to a couple who begin to laugh and I then realize it was the same couple next to us in the Mexican restaurant that had an issue and upon leaving our host/ server was getting yelled at in front of our table by the manager and kept pointing to the table that the couple left from.

Alcoholic beverages are all very disappointing. Nothing tasted decent and every time you ordered something I would watch them not make what I wanted and then argue you that's what you ordered. I'm a bartender and I don't care what country you're in but grenadine is not an ingredient that goes into a long island.. sorry guys but good try.

The hotel room- absolutely disgusting as the bathroom was infested with tiny ants that I had to keep washing down the drain by the dozen. Everything was very old and broken such as the patio door which would not shut or lock so bugs and lizards could just stroll in and maybe even a person because we were on the ground floor. Literally didn't need a room key.. Just hop the waist high railing and you're in. They refuse to provide water and I had to literally chase down housekeepers for water bottles. We left a sign on the fridge to please leave water in both english and spanish and she took the note off of the fridge and placed it on the desk.. no water.. Let's just say maybe she meant to and forgot.

The coco pool bar was neat and the guy bartenders were great. Stay far away from the girl bartenders there! I watched them argue, ignore and disrespect all guest. One girl bartender actually told a couple that she needed 200 pesos (which is about 5 bucks) to go buy something. I literally watched in disbelief as this employee told a guest they needed to give her money to go buy something because she's been making them and their friends drinks all afternoon. WOW! The same girl working the downstairs swim up bar kept coming upstairs to use one of the frozen drink machines and noticed that we tipped the guy bartender because he was amazing! Never had to ask for a drink, remembered our names from the day before and was just a fun genuine man. The girl who saw us tip him saw we had a few singles under my friends purse to prevent it from blowing away and poured a beer although my friend had half a beer and put it next to her half full beer and just stood there starring at her expecting us to tip her. I had to tell her to go away as she wasn't understanding that I wasn't going to tip her for serving us something we didn't request.

To be fair the grounds are nice and very well kept. We were able to salvage our time because we spent all of it outside in the pool and on the beach which was all beautiful. This place is inexpensive and I received just what I expected for the price paid minus the rude service. I have no problem staying somewhere that's not fancy or newly remodeled but I beg just please don't be rude to me.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and stay elsewhere. You will not be happy here.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Barceló Dominican Beach. I take your feedback very seriously and I am truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; I can assure you that our maintenance and housekeeping team always works diligently to resolve any situation that our clients report in a timely manner.

We should inform you that the room you were assigned was a standard double room, there was no mistake in the room assignment as the term double refers to the number of clients staying in the room and not to the numbers of beds in it. We regret this misunderstanding.

We would value the opportunity to receive again in our property, please contact us directly to provide you a better service on your next stay.

Jericho, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Cons

The food was terrible.
There wasn't much to do.
Russian people are unbearable.

Pros
Ruben from the sport bar was an absolute pleasure! He kept my friends and I in good spirits throughout the trip, and always made us feel welcome! He really knows how to provide excellent service! This man deserves a raise/promotion!

The general manager guy, I apologize for not remembering his name, seemed like a nice guy and cared whenever I spoke to him. I noticed that there is nowhere to get a drink of water at night except for the Brazilian restaurant which was very far away from my room. I told the manager and he seemed to care about my suggestion to put some more water spots. Did he actually do it? I don't know, but he seemed nice.

Here's the thing about this place. You get what you pay for. The alcohol is watered down and the beer is cheap. The food is horrible, seriously, it's inedible. Both of my friends got sick ATLEAST once. The beach was great and the pool was very clean. If it wasn't for Ruben, I think I would have given this place 1 or 0 stars. Ruben really went the extra mile, please, tell him Dino said hello!

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Client,

Thank you for giving us your feedback, we are sorry to hear you had some issues during your stay but are happy to know that our price fit your traveling budget and you enjoyed the attentions provided for our dear Ruben, we will let him know you say Hi; we look forward to your next visit.

Barceló Dominican Beach

Been to Barcelo Dominican Beach? Share your experiences!