“Loved the DR. Not the Barcelo.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Dominican Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Dominican Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Dominican Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Alemania El Cortecito, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #70 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Edmonton
“Loved the DR. Not the Barcelo.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I've been to the Dominican once before. & was so so excited to be coming back!!

The ocean is unreal. Such a beautiful color. But as far as the resort goes, we got a deal, thank god. Would not have paid full price!

Food was fine. Its resort food so don't go expecting lots.

It was so so busy and packed with people, wake up early to get a chair.
Also ALOT of the people there visiting speak no English. (French or russian) And are so so RUDE. Most servers and bar tenders speak no English as well. Which is fine it's a Spanish country, but never even a smile from one of them.

My best friend n I took this trip just to get away but in hopes of making new friends and falling in love with the DR all over again. This resort is full of couples & families.

Trips are Absolutley what you make of it. And we had a great time with eachother relaxing by the pool. But with all the tiny little things building up it was def time to go home.

The hot water, took forever to get hot. Run it for 20 mins at least before hand.

The guy at the shop in the resort tried to screw a lady out of her change thinking she wouldn't notice.

A man behind the reception refused to give me change for the wifi even though they do money exchange there. So I had to call him out on it and then he gave it to me.

At the a la carte we sat and Waited for our first glass of wine until after our appies were eaten.

The sinage in the resort could have been a lot better. ESP cause it is a HUGE resort. Zero direction anywhere.

The disco wasn't very good. Bring extra cash for cabs. Make sure to set a price before moving. They'll screw you too.

The ocean gorgeous. The sun amazing. And that's what I needed. I'll just never come back to this resort. Ever.

• Stayed April 2014

2,699 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here for a week in April. We didn't hate it, but we would not go back. I got really sick from something I ate or drank.

Rooms: We were in block 7 near the beach, 3rd floor.
Good points: We loved the location. Room spacious, very clean, airy, nice balcony with drying rack and quiet. Partial ocean view to the side. It's true the furniture is dated, decor is plain, tv is from the 80's, but it works so who cares. King bed was comfy.

Not so good: We had a lot of problems when we first got the room. We had arrived at 12:00 and didn't get into the room until around 15:30, so it was really annoying to waste a further hour for repairs to be done. The safe, which we had been warned to use, wasn't secured to the wall. You could just carry it out! The phone in the room wasn't working, so I had to flag someone down. They fixed it, but we wasted most of our first day waiting around. Later we had to have the fridge changed, as it wouldn't cool. Toilet flush was very weak and we had to have it repaired. Shower head was modern, but installed improperly so that you had to stand within 2 inches of the wall to catch the water. Hot water was pretty reliable, but not the pressure. The AC worked to cool the room, but was really loud. Lots of hangers in closet, but they are the kind that fit into a slot, which is worn out so many just fall down when you put the clothes on. There is only so much you can complain, so we just got on with it.

Grounds: Awesome gardens, manicured lawns. Great layout, pathways, nicely lit. Above average lush garden feel and variety of tropical plants.

Staff: Very nice, friendly and helpful. No complaints.

Restaurants: Below average buffets. Not great variety. Even so, if the preparation at least had been good, it wouldn't have mattered. Watery trays of scrambled eggs, very often with egg shells within. Bacon left rubbery, on the odd day it was present. Whole loaves of bread left on the cutting board with a knife, except many times there was no napkin placed on the end, so who knows how many hands touched it. Gross. I complained to a food & beverage manager. Nothing changed. At lunch the steamed vegetables were either almost puree they were so overcooked, and other times practically raw. Not impressive at all. The soups were the exception and were always delicious.

SICKNESS : I got a bad case of gastroenteritis within 3 days of arriving, which I have NEVER gotten despite 3 years of living in Mexico and having travelled to many countries. I never left the hotel, so I got sick from the food or drink in the hotel for sure. I had to go to the hospital, and it's lucky I had insurance because the charges were more than the cost of the entire trip. My husband got sick also, but not as severely as me. Luckily the hotel had an excellent Doctor Nestor in house. We were really grateful for his expert assistance. He is certainly a credit and an asset to the hotel.

A la Carte Restaurants: We had to book early in the morning, like before 8:30 a.m to get a choice of restaurants and times. We could only book for the next day. Overall the food was quite good in the a la cartes. The Brasilian was really hot inside and super loud. The service was really slow and most of the meats weren't very good with a few exceptions. Spanish resto was excellent. Great service, good food. We went twice. Italian resto was excellent, food & service. Japanese was the show in the center. Food mediocre. Show and enthusiasm excellent. Mexican resto, food mediocre nothing special. Great decor.
Nice coffee shop near the theater area which we enjoyed a lot. Great coffees, nice ladies working there.

Beach: Great white sand beach. Nice swimming area. We found it to be a huge problem to get a beach chair. The hotel was full the week we were there. The first day we showed up at 9 a.m and they were all gone. The next day we got there at 8 am and managed to grab 2 chairs. We made a lot of observations that day. Tons of people were reserving their chairs early and showing up hours later. Others were there, but then disappeared for hours, leaving their stuff on their chair. We saw that some people in groups had a little set up at the beach AND the pool simultaneously, so they were hogging extra chairs. One family of three was hogging 5 chairs on the beach, 3 in the sun, and keeping 2 in the shade to go back and forth. Meanwhile some elderly ladies were on the sand and obviously uncomfortable. We confronted the family and got them 2 chairs. It was a big pain to have to rush early to secure a spot. When we left for lunch, we took all our stuff with us to give others a chance.

The towel system is the kind you hand in a card to get a towel. Standard for 3 stars. The day I had to go to the hospital by ambulance I obviously couldn't hand in my towel before the designated 6 pm curfew. Forget trying to get a clean towel the next morning, you have to wait until after 1 pm. I told the guy I was in the hospital all afternoon and night. He said "that's not my fault". Charming.

General: Bank machine in the lobby was never working. We tried it a few times. It was right next to the restaurant reservation area, so we kept seeing others try it also. It never works.
Vendors came to the hotel one night. They should really have them set up in one general area, so that you could decide to either go shop, or give it a swerve. They have them ALL OVER the resort randomly. They were really insisting you look, accosting you at every table you passed. We had to deploy evasive manoeuvers to escape!

You get what you pay for. If you got a cheap deal, then you could decide to roll the dice and take your chances with the food. Not everyone got sick, but I know a couple people other than myself who did. Regrettably, we will not be returning.

Room Tip: We enjoyed building 7 near beach and pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Radhames M, Gerente at Barcelo Dominican Beach, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Client:

Thank you very much for the review. We are glad to read that you found our staff to be very friendly and hospitable.

We consider important to inform you that we have a consultant with an international and well-known company named Cristal Americas, which on a frequent basis audits our hotel in all Hygiene and Sanitary procedures. In addition to this, we have a Quality Assurance Department in our property to ensure the proper follow up on Food & Beverage procedures; also, we have no reports of illness cases in our hotel, we can assure that we take our clients health very seriously, therefore we make sure that our food and beverage processes are carried out accordingly to the sanitary regulations.

We offer you our apologies if in any particular manner you felt uncomfortable due to the souvenir offer that some salesmen do when passing on the beach. We can assure you that it is not their intention to cause our dear guests any discomfort with this, but to provide them, always they are interested, with the very valued service of offering a souvenir of our country to take home.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we are looking forward to host you in our property again.

Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Is everyone high, this hotel gets 0 stars. We showed up for our honeymoon and my wife hated it before we got out the TAXI(they don't offer a shuttle)... they didn't have our suite, were extremely rude even knowing it was our honeymoon (to the point my wife wanted to go home BEFORE even getting pat check in), water in shower was yellow at first, water was at best warm, soda machine broken, napkins at the restaurant smelt like mildew and weren't dried.... EVERYTHING AT THIS RESORT IS A NIGHTMARE! We transferred to another beautiful resort the next morning and actually enjoyed our honeymoon, this place was the worst experience I ever had traveling and that was my honeymoon and they knew it was.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Client:

Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to read that you were displeased with your experience. We value your feedback as it helps us to understand our guest’s need and ways we can improve future visits.

We seriously regret that your inclination toward our Resort was unfavorable even before you got out of your taxi or prior checking in; as a hospitality establishment we believe that our clients are able to enjoy our hotel even more when they have a positive disposition about their stay instead of a negative one.

Overall we apologize for any situation you may had during your stay and we hope that we could have another chance to better serve you in the future.

Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

After a wonderful vacation in April 2013, we returned to the Barceló Dominican Beach Resort for the first week of April 2014. We were not disappointed. Our room was super, with a great ocean view and our check-in flawless. Thanks to Yoel at the front desk and our great maid Dominga in Block Five for their awesome service and attention. This year it was a breeze booking the A La Carte Restaurants and at all of our choices, the food and service was amazing. We love this resort's mature vegetation, cleanliness, very helpful staff and great location. The beaches are gorgeous and we never felt unsafe on our morning and afternoon walks. We will miss our evening visits to the Café for our "Caribbean Coffees". Looking forward to returning in 2015!

Room Tip: No tips on choosing a good room but remember to bring along a small flashlight for any occasional po...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Client:

Your feedback is well appreciated and we thank you for it. As you have mentioned our hotel is oriented toward providing our clients with a wonderful vacation experience. We thank you for complementing our staff; we try to provide the best customer service to keep our guests happy at all times. We will make sure our team is aware of your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Alberta Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First let me start by saying that my husband and I only spent one day at this resort; it was on the tail end of our trip and we were coming from the most beautiful resort I have ever been to. My opinion might be slightly biased because of this...

Upon arrival: 10:00am - can't check in until 3pm, so they give you a bracelet and send you on your way. Luggage sat in the front area from 10am till 4pm, when we returned. This made me very nervous but everything was intact when we finally checked in.

Bell boy took our luggage to our room. Very nice fellow... only we couldn't tip him because the bank machine was not working. Next day, same thing. After being sent on several wild goose chases to locate a working bank machine, we gave up. Basically when the staff at this resort do not want to deal with you, they point you in a random direction and tell you to turn right....

Rooms: Gross. That about sums it up. Dirty, old and as plain as can be. Television from 1980. Bathroom door wouldn't close. Fridge didn't work and had the most awful smell in it. 2 twin beds for my husband and I. We sent each other a text good night from our separate beds... seriously!

Food: I'd like to tell you that the food was great, but we only had one meal... just as the power in the entire resort went out... so it was cold and tasteless. Variety was terrible. We wanted to book for one of the restaurants when we first arrived that morning, but was told that you had to make your reservations the day before. We explained that we were only there for one night and no one told us to make a dinner res. when we booked for just one night. Their answer... again, turn right and %#! Off.

The grounds and beach: Nicely manicured and the beach was a good size, with what seemed like lots of chairs. We did not hang at the beach or pool because it seemed to either be Spring Break or this is where all the "Kids" book. I don't consider myself to be OLD but you can only hear the word "like" and "totally" and watch "the show" for so long... then it's time to leave the resort.

On the topic of leaving the resort: you will hear plenty of people tell you that it is dangerous. That is a load of phooey. They just want you to keep your money in the resort. We found a great place called Danny's Sports Bar (out the gate, turn LEFT and walk about 5 minutes). Obviously you wouldn't go walking alone at night but during the day it's great way to meet the real locals (or new locals).

Power: As I mentioned, the power went out at 5:00 p.m. and didn't come back on until after 11:00 p.m. There were a lot of very angry people in the lobby, losing their minds but in the end, there wasn't anything the resort could do for you. We managed to borrow some candles from the restaurant so we could get in our room. The staff were frustrated and took a lot of abuse, but all in all I was impressed at their composure. In the morning, when we left, they didn't even bother to ask us how our stay was. I'm sure they didn't want to hear our opinion.

Overall: Compared to other Barceló properties we have stayed at, this was not a pleasant stay. I wouldn't go back. There are plenty of other resorts to choose from. The phrase "you get what you pay for" is very true in this case.

Room Tip: Ask for something relatively close to the beach. We were in Complex 95 - looking at a parking lot!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Client:

We appreciate and value your feedback. We would like to sincerely apologize for any situation that may have distracted you from the enjoyment of your day of vacation while staying at our resort. We can assure you that this is not what we want our guests to perceive from our services especially while away on vacation.

We would like to inform you as well that normally our registration time starts at 3 PM, although in some occasions and due to the level of occupancy, the rooms may not be ready at that time.

All of your comments are noted and will be shared with our entire team, as it will certainly serve as a positive training tool moving forward. We hope that despite this experience you could reconsider staying with us in the future to provide you with a better experience.

New Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is awesome. Not 5 star décor, but the fun makes it a great vacation. Great price for a fun vacation (you must take advantage of the activities). The workers there make the vacation fun (I remember Ramon and Adriano, but they were all great). Entertainment throughout the day for those who don't want to just lay around. Zumba, water aerobics, and dance lessons, all on the beach. Food is great. Don't bother w/ making reservations at their "restaurants". The main dining area's food is always better and better variety.

One thing I did not like: when we got there , there were annoying vendors. The vendors should be contained to one area where they are not bothering you everywhere you walk. Very annoying because you have to keep saying "no" to these extremely insistent vendors.

All in all, the trip was great. Go with people looking to have fun and not just sit around.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Client:

We are delighted to know that your stay with us was wonderful. Complementing our staff really means a lot and we will make sure we pass along all of your great comments. We try to make our guests have a unique and unforgettable experience and it seems we achieved our goal with you.

We offer you our apologies if in any particular manner you felt uncomfortable due to the souvenir offer that some salesmen do. We can assure you that it is not their intention to cause our dear guests any discomfort with this, but to provide them, always they are interested, with the very valued service of offering a souvenir of our country to take home.

We hope this will not be the last time you visit us and we look forward to your return.

Lunenburg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived at 2am to friendly and welcoming staff. After reading some reviews I was aware to avoid certain rooms. We were able to get a different room closer to the beach. I am so glad we did! Some villas/rooms are horrific. I seen some guests pictures. This itself has the potential to ruin this resorts reputation. The resort grounds are very clean and well groomed. I really liked the layout of this resort as everything was close. Very nice cafe, sports bar, pizza, and the a la cartes are very good! Favorites were Japenese and Brazillian. The lobby area/bar was a great place to have a drink and socialize. Very spacious. This resort did not seem to expect tips which was so nice. We were able to tip because we wanted to based on service. The two pools looked clean and fun. i am a beach person and getting a lounger was never an issue.Last but not least the buffet...in 15 years of travel I have never complained about food.The buffet lacks variety and taste. Same things daily. In todays society we are "foodies". It is a great resort to visit if you get it cheapy cheapy. This was my fifth time to Punta Cana..

Room Tip: Dont bother to email the resort. They will not answer. Upon check in immediatly ask for an upgrade...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Client,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are happy to know that you were satisfied with our accommodating staff. We are really sorry that our rooms and Restaurants options were not up your expectations. We understand that for today customers it is important to vacation at a Resort that accomplishes your requirements and we can assure you that we will continue working to improve the services we offer you our dear customers.

Once again thank you for your feedback and hope to receive again in our property in the near future.

Barceló Dominican Beach

Been to Barcelo Dominican Beach? Share your experiences!