“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Dominican Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Dominican Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Dominican Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Alemania El Cortecito, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #68 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Novi Sad, null, Serbia
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed 8 nights in April. Everything is beautiful, hotel, food, the beach, the people, all. I have no complaints. Don't look at the negative comments, the hotel is great, all the greenery, palm trees and ocean are beautiful and don't miss swimming with dolphins (trip costs about $ 150 ).

I'll be back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Radhames M, General Manager at Barcelo Dominican Beach, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments, is a big honor for us to serve you and makes you feel great in your stay with us.
For your next vacation please keep in mind the big Barcelo Family will be waiting for you.

2,922 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Polish first
Tenerife, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in April, as many have said before but must be said again to anyone reading this the food in main buffet is VERY POOR!!!!. All the foods are a poor choice of foods which leaves wondering what to put on your plate to suit the other foods around. All the food is badly cooked from cheap quality and who ever cooks really has no idea how to season food or how to cook it to be perfectly frank. The themed restaurants are the only way to get good well cooked food but as everyone seems to of worked that out you have to book early and the day before to stand a chance of getting in.
The room was poor, smell of damp and very bad cleaning skills it seems and in our block a very lazy cleaner who spent the 5 days we were there walking past bottles and other things that had been left in the corridor.
All that said the complex, beach and pools are very well looked after and relaxing in the grounds and pools was amazing, but remember there are so many other hotels in the area and next time I will pay that little bit more and avoid this and the Barcelo Chain all together.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for contacting us. Your opinion is very important for us. We are sorry that our hotel was not to your liking; in fact we are a hotel with a very affordable price to those seeking for a beautiful vacation without spending more than necessary. I'm surprised you could not enjoy our food as we have a wide variety to please different tastes.
Once again, sorry if we did not have met your expectations and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Your comments were forwarded to the involve departments for their revision.
Best Regards,
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Let me just start off by saying this was the best trip I've ever been on!! I was at this resort for 10 days, from April 11-21/13.

I've only ever been to 5 star resorts before this trip so I wasn't sure how this one would compare. It seems to me, that because of the lower star rating, the staff seem to try much harder. I went with my friend and was greeted promptly and upgraded at the front desk for free. Check in was smooth and easy. Because of the upgrade we were asked to wait 1 hour so that they could make the changes for us. We didn't mind waiting, it gave us a chance to walk around and see the resort ahead of time. Check out took less than 2 minutes.

Rooms: The room we had was standard, nothing fancy. It was an upgrade, meaning that there was a better view, bigger beds (2 queen size), bigger room etc. The room was clean, and we had clean towels and sheets everyday. The maid was in our room every day cleaning and re-stocking our fridge. The water turned off in out room twice but we called reception and they had someone come fix it within 10 minutes. The mattress was new and comfy as well, great pillows!

Food: We ate at the main buffet most of the time. The food was typical resort buffet food.... nothing amazing. There was alot of selection, however it was a bit smaller than some of the other resorts I've stayed at. The staff did a great job bringing out fresh hot food all the time. There is a smaller buffet inbetween the pool and beach which is open 24hours whith different things to choose from. I didn't have any issues making reservations for the a la carte, it was quick and easy. I booked at the Wasabi, I highly suggest this place to everyone! It was delicious! There is a snack bar on the beach, which has french fries, hotdogs and hamburgers. There is also a pizza snack bar beside the pool. Both are great places to grab a quick mid-day snack. There is also a fantastic coffee shop located beside the main lobby. This place is amazing! They can make whatever kind of coffe you like, I was there everyday.

Entertainment: I was entertained all the time. There was so much to do and see on the resort. There were alot of quiet places to go as well, if you just like to relax but I found the staff really funny and like to watch them most of the time. The shows at night, were different all the time. I was there for 10 days so after 7 days they repeat the same show but that was fine. There are different things going on at the beach and pool during the day and at night the shows start beside the lobby. There was a disco at the resort which was a good time. There were DJ's and good music and everybody was dancing.

Resort: The resort was stunning! The benefit of staying at an older resort is that the garden and greens are plush and beautiful. The staff worked hard all day at keeping the grounds in perfect condition. I didn't see any bugs in my room or even on the resort at all. The lobby was clean, and the pathways were swept regularly. I have no complaints whatsoever of the state of the resort.

Location: I really enjoyed the location of this resort because I go off of the resort all of the time for shopping etc. I found that its such a short distance from everything and had easy access to nightlife off of the resort. It was $10 taxi ride for four people to go to some of the nightclubs etc, and the taxi usually waits infront of the lobby.

Beach: The beach view was great but I have swam in better beaches in Punta Cana. I found that there were a few rocks and seaweed. I didn't mind so much because if you go to the middle of the roped off area is really smooth. I just had to find the right area. I never had a problem getting a chair. There were no sun shades but there were a bunch of trees that made great shade so there was really no need for them.

Staff: The staff were great! I couldn't have asked for more friendly and helpful staff! A smile and hello go a really long way there. Most people don't talk to them or say hello etc. I went to the buffet one night with my friend and the waiter who had been waiting on us the previous night had a table waiting for us with flowers on it and designs in the napkins. He told us that we were so nice the night before and thanked us. The people who work there are the hardest working people!

I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat!!!! No, its not one of the best resorts there but given the age of the place etc, it was well worth the money. Yes, the staff speak spanish, most of them speak a little bit of english or french etc. If you were planning on going to another part of the word and not have an issue with understanding, you were wrong. It happens at ALL of the resorts.

There is great security. Always at the gait and beach. I felt safe.

It seems to be a younger crowd at this resort as well. I did notice that there were people of all ages here though. A good mix. There weren't as many Canadians as alot of the other resorts but I found it was nice to meet different people.

Remember: This is an older resort, so if you have any issues let the staff know. They offered to change my room because of the water problem but I declined. They were very helpful and prompt.

Have fun.... I did!!! Loved this place:)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view. I was so entertained there!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Radhames M, General Manager at Barcelo Dominican Beach, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are so happy to read your comments, thanks a lot. is our pleasure to serve you and do anything possible to make your vacations unforgettable.

We appreciate you have choose us and an honor to have the pleasure to serve you, our staff, as you said, are very hard workers to make you feel as good as expected.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your great experience, please come back soon, we will be waiting.

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hello, This was my first time staying at the Barcelo Dominican Beach resort. Stayed 4 nights, Monday April 15- Friday April 19th as I'm a flight crew and went on my days off for a getaway with a colleague of mine. The resort is not too big but was big enough and was very well kept, beautiful just like the photos posted on here. The staff are very friendly from the check in desk to all the servers and hosts and grounds staff. Everyone says HOLA :) I'm a picky eater and found the buffet to be pretty descent. I didn't starve and always found good food to eat. Each night is usually a theme buffet, on our visit it was like Spanish night, Italian night. etc. The pools at the resort were great and the beach was awesome. Too bad they don't pick up the seaweed at night or during the day along the sand front but no big deal. Had no problems with our hotel rooms, 2 double beds, Block 4, big washroom with a nice working shower, bed was comfy for my tasting and had a mini fridge with sprite, coca cola and water... could always ask the housekeeper for more and a TV and balcony. Air Conditioned room as well which was awesome :) If you want to make a reservation for the free a la carte restaurants, you have to line up at 7am at Guest Services . There is Mexican, Brazilian, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, etc. We had the Spanish one night, wasn't that good but we both enjoyed the Brazillian restaurant. Wifi isn;t free but we both got the $30 deal for 7 nights as one night only was 10$. Didn;t work too well in the room, but better on the balcony and outside in the common areas and especially by the lobby and theatre for the shows. The Casino isn't the greatest, its very small but for those who have a gamble fix, have fun there. At 10pm, there is a bid dance production at the theatre stage and the performers were awesome. If you are are still hungry after 10pm, a good tip is to go visit the Brazilian Restaurant again called Bahia or Bahla and they serve hot dogs, hamburgers, salad , fries and the best fried chicken....it was soo good ! There was no time shares ppl anywhere, nor any people trying to sell you stuff at the beach which was nice. This hotel however was mostly catered to Russian , French France, Spanish and english visitors as all the signs are bilingual in these languages. A good family friendly resort with a kids play areas and activities running all day. I 'd have no problem going back here again and to tell friends. :) Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Choose a higher room floor block.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

After reading your comments we feel very glad to know that we have met your expectations, our goal of a good service to our customers.
We are infinitely grateful of your kindness in your comments, for Barcelo Dominican Beach is very is very important to satisfy all our clients, please be so kind to honor us with your next visit. We will be waiting to serve you anytime!

Thanks for choosing us,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

- food,
Buffet was so far good. Not too much variety of fruits, but the food was good.
To eat at their thematic restaurants you need to be at the the main buffet at 7 am and make reservation.
We did it at Mexican and Brazilian restaurants. At the Mexican the food was good, but don't expect too many options. 4 or 5 types of entrees to chose. 7 dishes to chose, and 3 deserts.
Brazilian restaurant was terrible. As a Brazilian I must to say that we never eat black rice with Bacon and mushrooms, or turkey in barbecue. Poor variety of meats. And def our Brazilian carrot cake is very very different what they served to us.

Hotel and staff,
The hotel was a surprise. We didn't expected such a huge and nice place. The staff was very friendly and happy.
Unfortunately, we had money stolen inside our room. My friend had at least 40 bucks stolen from her wallet, inside her bag, that was inside the closet. We knew that the hotel wouldn't do too much about it, but she decided to tell them what happened.
It was a surprise to hear from the hotel manager, and the security manger, that we should use the locker, otherwise the hotel couldn't do nothing about it.
So basically, in other words the hotel in general knows that their staff is not honest people.
After two days my friend asked the hotel manager about it, he said the only person was inside our bedroom besides us, was the cleaner lady, and if she wanted to blame someone, they would go to the police.
In any moment the hotel seemed to care about it. They just gave us the feedback, because was their obligation to do it.
Unfortunately again, if you read reviews in any hotel in Punta Cana, you must find reviews about money or personal stuff stolen. So be careful about this things.

This place is more a family place. We went on spring break and we didn't see too much young groups, besides young couples.

Russians are predominant there.

Wii fi is not free. You need to pay to use it, and most of the time we weren't able to use inside our bedroom, just in the balcony or common areas. And just one device at time.

Staff in general speaks poor English or none.
The beach is beautiful, turquoise infinity water. Also I would say, you MUST visit Macao beach. There is the paradise!!!

In general I would def recommend this place. It worth what you pay. But again, you must hide your money and valued stuff very carefully in your room when you're out.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for letting us your comments; our staff is always pending to read all our clients opinion in order to improve the quality in our services.
We greatly regret that it happened this inconvenient, but we must clarify that our company takes great care to avoid such incidents to customers, is for this reason that the safe box service in our rooms is free. Besides all employees are investigated before entering to work with us, we actually have very strict procedures to keep working in our company and also we know that in our hotel works very honest and responsible people.
Want to clarify that we cannot make accusations without proof staff as this is penalized by Dominican law. However, the guests are free to make a personal accusation of suspicion and that is why we are always attending and providing them with assistance and information to go to the police station.
Once again on behalf of all Barceló Dominican Beach staff we apologize for all the inconveniences, we assure that our aim is always our client’s satisfaction. If you need additional assistance do not hesitate to contact me.
Brigus, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

As for the resort itself, beautiful, well-kept and clean, beautiful beach.....the big BUT is the food...absolutely horrible....open air buffet....flies & birds everywhere, so unsanitary, ate alot of bananas, bad stomach all week. Would NOT recommend this resort, sorry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Radhames M, General Manager at Barcelo Dominican Beach, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for share your impression with us, your comments are very important for us it make us grow every day. Our chef will be informed of your comments in order to check our menu.
We apologizes if you could not find anything of your liking, is our interest our guests been satisfied with all our services.
Please be so kind to honor us with your visit again.

Best Regards,
New Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

That saying, "you get what you pay for"........Well here is the perfect example...... Barcelo Dominican Beach.
While your in your room laying on your bed with a post buffet stomach ache, you can fiddle through the complimentary 'Barcelo' resort magazine where you will find a personal message from the Barcelo family where they proudly boast that 90-95% of Barcelo resorts around the world are 4-5 stars. They continue with something like, 'and our eventual goal is to have ALL of our resorts 4-.5 stars'......

Guess what? Barcelo Dominican Beach is NOT one of the aforementioned 90-95%!!!!
and from the looks and sounds of it, this place will NEVER be 4-5 stars...... This place is a 'resort' for cheap or broke people. And yes, I am not rich either but I did expect a little more from my stay here.... wait, in fact I was expecting alot more. Go to Mexico (cancun/riviera maya) to know what it means to get PLENTY for your hard earned money.

We arrived to a filthy, dark room with 2 double beds and a toilet that refused to flush and a sink that shot out a spurt of brown water. Lets rewind...... We (my wife and I) arrive in the lobby to not even a single 'hello' or 'welcome'. In fact most of the front desk employees basically looked down at their pc screens pretending not to notice you. This was the FIRST time I have ever had to say 'excuse me'..... 'we are here to check in'. Upon saying this we were met with a glare and another sudden look down. We were motioned up to the desk, asked for our confirmation ticket and last name and sent on our way following a bell hop. No drinks given to you (like they do down in Mexico), no nothing........

So after we stood there bummed out by our crappy room, we realized our immense hunger from a long day in the airport and airplane and decided to make our way down to the buffet. After asking about 5 employees where the buffet was (some told us there was 2 buffets, some said 3 buffets and some said 1 buffet) we finally got to our destination....... An outdoor, fly infested, body odor wreaking, hot and humid buffet. (Again, every tropical area buffet we have been to has been indoor and air-conditioned) Now to the food....... BE careful how quickly you chew and swallow because somehow or another there always seemed to be something that resembled small rocks or pebbles in almost every meal I ate. Most of the food was awful and the dishes and glasses smelled like they were cleaned with a bar rag. I will mention that a few particular dishes WERE quite good..... The shock of this had such an impact on us that we both ate tremendous amounts of whatever tasted good for that day.......

Back to the room........ the fridge was not quite well stocked, more like 2 bottles of soda and 1 bottle of generic water..... 3 hours later we had finished our 1 bottle of supplied water and called down to the desk for another bottle. We were told one would be right up..... 1 hour later, nothing....4 phone calls and an actual walk down to the front desk finally yielded 1 hard earned bottle of water!!!!!! yeah!!!!!! While down in the lobby we decided on some 'house' drinks (we DID pay all inclusive). Well you can forget about free Bailey's (our fav) as you will be hit with a $3 charge per Bailey's!!!

I would like to point out that the employees here have to work 12 straight days on and then get 3 days off..... If they make $20 a day I would be surprised....... This all points to a cheap and greedy management. One that could care less about their employees and it shows in the majority of customer service......It takes one heck of a person to eat the crap management dishes out THEN turn around and be kind and humble to shell shocked, lost/confused guests!! AND I also have to say that many of the employees we ran into were quite kind and very helpful..In fact we met one such employee named Hector (the bell hop who transferred us to our upgraded room that we finally got)

Overall, we couldnt wait to leave and will never go back to the DR.........(btw, dont forget the $10 per person national cover charge the second you arrive in the airport) We will def. not miss the haggling by the vendors as we walked on the beach and even through the hotel grounds....(yes they allowed some quite intense vendors on the grounds) In reality, DR is actually a very beautiful country as the weather, beaches and water and even some of the people can compete with any other destination.... It's just everything else that is the pits........

Room Tip: go to another hotel!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your comments, we are very sorry not keep up with your demands. Our hotel has a standard of 4-star service that is appreciated by many customers daily; we regret that it has not been the case.
As you mention we are not a 5 stars or luxury hotel, but I am very surprised you haven’t enjoyed your stay because we are always anxious to serve all our clients and make them as happy as expected.
We apologizes for the inconveniences you may have, we are continuously working in order to offer to our mutual clients the best service possible.
Once again on behalf of all Barceló Dominican Beach staff thanks for choosing us, we assure that our aim is always our client’s satisfaction.

Kind Regards,

Been to Barcelo Dominican Beach? Share your experiences!