“Value for the dollar without the glitter.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Dominican Beach

You added Barcelo Dominican Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Dominican Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Alemania, A-B 108 | El Cortecito, Punta Cana 23301, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #61 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Barrie, Ontario
“Value for the dollar without the glitter.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Looking for 'affordable' value for the dollar, this property offers many amenities found at the higher end resorts. A coffee bar with an excellent selection, a reasonably sized casino with a bar which is part of the all-inclusive package, a sports bar with a 'free use' pool table.
A 'pizza parlour' with many varieties, and a beach grill for burgers & fries.
The grounds are large with many pathways, well groomed & lots of signs so you don't get lost.
Excellent beach with some rooms only 100 yards from the waters edge!
Great value for the dollar without the pressure & glitter of the five star resorts.
It's lower rating would be from age of the building (they are upgrading),
selection of food (good quality for the selection there is)
Needs a larger selection & more serving tables for a resort this size.
Not expected, but no service at poolside or on the beach.
Local alcohol, upgrade available but premium alcohol very limited (unless you like Scotch)
Always room on the beach, or around the pool, but no fresh towels.
We visited the towel hut 2-3 times a day every day, and when we checked out we handed in the towels we received the first day! Don't tell me they can't see the shortage. ;)
All the staff friendly and helpful, a little Spanish goes a long way , but many speak English.
Biggest disappointment? WestJet rep was never on site that we saw, book had no times he would be there, airline schedule was from Apr (we went in Nov). We had to phone Hola Tours to find out pickup time. Not the resorts fault, but can be frustrating.
As always, a vacation is what you make of it.

Room Tip: Building 6 is Elite club with Jr. Suites. Building 5 & 6 have rooms where balconies 'touch...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

lets start off with the fact that i live in miami and im studying in DR.
I stayed there this past weekend.

BEACHES - its a nice clear beach, lots of chairs available to lay down and have a drink.
they keep you entertained most of the day on the beach with games n such things.
but really i would just stay in miami beach instead of coming to the "Punta Cana beaches".

ROOM - simple room with tv, double bed, bathroom, tv, with fridge, and a cute lil balcony, has god air too. the bed was a little hard though

FOOD - ughhh lets just say if you want good food pay for it, the buffet was there, and the food in the brazilian rest was horrible, i preferred the mexican, its hard to go wrong on making tacos.

DRINKS- well we were suppose to have reg all included, but payed 10 dollars more for the vip (white bands).. i dont know why we did, cuz the top shelved liquors tasted the same as the house vodka. ( i think they recycled the bottles and put house liq in the expensive bottles). stick to the beer.

i will say the people that work there, are the most helpful and attentive employes, they will bend over backwards to help. they speak many languages so thats pretty helpful to tourist.
spanish, english, french, russian, and maybe more

and important, take a big cup/mug so you dont have to be going back and fourth to the bar for a refill of beer

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hato Mayor del Rey, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was at barcelo dominican beach, me and my wife have a nice stay. all the staff is amazing, entartaiment, beach and food is fantastic. we had the best hotel experience. Love it!!!! if you want to have a good vacation with no much payment this is the best option....

Room Tip: room in building 5 are very confortable and close to the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint John, NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

After reading reviews I must admit I was a little worried about where I had chosen to stay...but being someone who likes to judge on my own I'm glad I didn't listen to what I read. This resort was absolutely amazing!!! The staff are top notch, always cheerful, happy, willing and more then happy to assist in any way they can. The beach was absolutely beautiful, plenty of beach chairs for those who want to lie down in the beautiful DR sun, best part is a cold drink is only a few steps away at the beach bar. If swimming's your thing take my word for it..the water's amazing!!! For those who don't like interacting with locals or vendors while on the beach don't worry because there is a guard posted to keep them away...unless you want to talk to them like I did (part of the vacay experience imo). Best part, if you want a late night swim after the Disco closes there is a spotlight on the beach so you can do so safely :) If you're more of a pool person, have no fear, there's 3 to choose from. The busiest was always the 1 with the swim up bar which made it a wonderful location to meet so many other travelers from around the world. The entertainment team was superb, so much energy...not sure where they get it from lol. The nightly shows were amazing as well, so much talent. The food was so so, but I was always able to find something in the buffet as the choices were plentiful & varied. If you want to try a la carte, Wasabi was the best. Our room was great, actually the bed was more comfy then my own!! Rooms were cleaned and minibar stocked daily. The Amigo bar in the lobby was my 1st stop each day for the best espresso I've ever had...you just can't beat Dominican coffee. The cafe was next for a choice of many delicious coffees. There's also a sports bar, casino & disco. I just can't say enough about this resort, there's something for everyone at this location. Looking forward to returning asap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I booked a four night stay at the Barcelo Dominican Beach during the week of October 22nd. We went with low expectations after reading the reviews. We went with a group of 16 other travelers. We booked the family suite which included the elite club privileges. Our room was in building 92. It had a living room, dinning room, king size bedroom, two bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi), two tvs ( old school ones), mini bar ( one coke, one sprite, one water, two beers, one chip) , a coffee maker, blow dryer, iron, safe, beach towels in room, bath robes and slippers, toiletries, good ac, fruit basket, and a bottle of dominican rum. We were given vip check in as well as vip bracelets which entitled us to top notch drinks and service. Vip's get 24 hour service. The room was clean, but the furniture is outdated. The buffet food is ok. There is something for everyone. I am a vegetarian and always found something to eat. They have theme nights. The staff is attentive. We were put off by the birds that kept eating off the dessert bar. We did not eat dessert because of this. We ate at the hibachi restaurant. It was awesome. We didn't like the Spanish restaurant. The service at El Meson was horrible. No welcome drink. We sat at the table for a good 20 minutes before anyone acknowledged us. After taking our order for all three courses, we were served the entire meal in less than 15 minutes. The food was terribly cold. Skip this one. Not worth your time. The italian restaurant was ok. The service friendly and accommodating. We got a welcome drink, bread basket, and dipping sauce. Appetizers were good, entrees not so much. I ordered the tiramisu for dessert. Not too good, but edible. The best asset to this hotel is the coffee shop. We were there 3 times a day. Awesome coffee choices, hot or cold. Something along the lines of Starbucks. Really. The snack bar opened all night. A great hang out spot after the disco closes. The pizza is good. Others said the chicken was also good. They have burgers and hot dogs. The entertainment staff is great. The shows are varied. The fun continues at the disco every night. We loved tequila night. There is a live band playing everyday before the nightly shows. There is a piano player every night at the lobby bar. The casino holds a nightly raffle for dinners and excursions. One of the people in our party won a gala dinner, and said it was awesome. It included a lobster dinner and champagne. The beach is ok. Some seaweed. The drinks were great. We had top shelf liquor, due to our vip status. We did not try the domestic drinks, so I can't comment on those. The pool was ok. It needs maintenance. The paint is peeling off. The grounds and facilities are well maintained. This hotel is a good option for travelers on a tight budget. We walked along the beach for a couple of miles and noticed that other hotels seemed empty in comparison to the dominican beach. We assumed it had to do with the price. Its a cheap option with ok service. But I would definitely recommend the vip option to get the most for your money.

Room Tip: Elite club suites are most comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me start with a disclaimer: Our trip here began right as the outer bands of Hurricane Sandy hit the island. Though the storm could have been much worse (as it was in Jamaica, Haiti and Cuba,) good weather could have brought out a little better of the experience we were expecting. Lightning, wind and rain kept us out of the pools and ocean for the duration of the stay.

The room: My girlfriend and her friend arrived a few days before I did and said the room was clean and comfortable (at least it was still comfortable when I arrived, clean...not so much haha) We didn't spend much time in the room so I won't elaborate too much. Beds were pretty comfortable and the room had a fridge with complementary bottled water, bottled sprite and coke. Bathroom was very clean but didn't have any hand soap. We used the soap dispenser in the shower to wash. Shower didn't get as hot as I like but not many places don't.

The staff: Even through the weather the lifeguards continued to man their stations for anyone who may want to venture into the water or jump in the pool. It was a gesture that the weather wasn't going to effect our stay anymore than physically possible. That showed true with the whole staff. All day the staff held an indoor party in the lobby with dance contests, professional dancers and plenty of drinks. The check-in staff made quick friends of each guests on arrival and remembered mine and the girls names easily.

The food: The buffets and snack bars had the typical all-inclusive foods which were about the same quality as anywhere else I have stayed, it was okay but not fantastic. The selection of food at the main buffet was better than other places though, many main course items and lots of sides. Also, the main courses changed nightly which i can't say about everywhere else in the Caribbean.

The entertainment: All day dancing and partying was strongly encouraged, which the girls loved. The stage shows at night were amazing and the casino opened nightly. The sports bar had a pool table, bar and showed live games on ESPN. The night club was great, whether you are single looking to mingle or if you're a couple that wants to dance away some stress.

Getting there: Delta Vacations has a shuttle to the resort from PUJ Airport, it was $35 for both of the girls but waits around for at least 25 people to board according to the driver before leaving (traveling alone, they felt more comfortable waiting around.) A taxi was $40 one-way which I split with two girls when I found they were staying only a few resorts over from ours. The drive from the airport is quite far so don't be worried if it feels like it is taking too long.

Would love to return to the resort for a week of good weather.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

my husband and I just came back from DR. I was our first time there. we stayed at the Barcelo Dominican Beach for a week.

We made our reservation thru Apple vacation. We had a great time! we were give a very pretty room in "bloque" 5 very close to the beach.

The night shows were incredible and service was great!

for my husband's bithday, Laura, from the guest service, prepared a great surprise for him in one of the restaurants. My husband was impressed!!! that kind of details are what makes an unforgettable vacations, and make the guests feel special!
thanks to all the staff! you did it great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Dominican Beach? Share your experiences!