“Could have been above average, weather didn't help.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Dominican Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Dominican Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Dominican Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Alemania El Cortecito, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #70 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Could have been above average, weather didn't help.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Let me start with a disclaimer: Our trip here began right as the outer bands of Hurricane Sandy hit the island. Though the storm could have been much worse (as it was in Jamaica, Haiti and Cuba,) good weather could have brought out a little better of the experience we were expecting. Lightning, wind and rain kept us out of the pools and ocean for the duration of the stay.

The room: My girlfriend and her friend arrived a few days before I did and said the room was clean and comfortable (at least it was still comfortable when I arrived, clean...not so much haha) We didn't spend much time in the room so I won't elaborate too much. Beds were pretty comfortable and the room had a fridge with complementary bottled water, bottled sprite and coke. Bathroom was very clean but didn't have any hand soap. We used the soap dispenser in the shower to wash. Shower didn't get as hot as I like but not many places don't.

The staff: Even through the weather the lifeguards continued to man their stations for anyone who may want to venture into the water or jump in the pool. It was a gesture that the weather wasn't going to effect our stay anymore than physically possible. That showed true with the whole staff. All day the staff held an indoor party in the lobby with dance contests, professional dancers and plenty of drinks. The check-in staff made quick friends of each guests on arrival and remembered mine and the girls names easily.

The food: The buffets and snack bars had the typical all-inclusive foods which were about the same quality as anywhere else I have stayed, it was okay but not fantastic. The selection of food at the main buffet was better than other places though, many main course items and lots of sides. Also, the main courses changed nightly which i can't say about everywhere else in the Caribbean.

The entertainment: All day dancing and partying was strongly encouraged, which the girls loved. The stage shows at night were amazing and the casino opened nightly. The sports bar had a pool table, bar and showed live games on ESPN. The night club was great, whether you are single looking to mingle or if you're a couple that wants to dance away some stress.

Getting there: Delta Vacations has a shuttle to the resort from PUJ Airport, it was $35 for both of the girls but waits around for at least 25 people to board according to the driver before leaving (traveling alone, they felt more comfortable waiting around.) A taxi was $40 one-way which I split with two girls when I found they were staying only a few resorts over from ours. The drive from the airport is quite far so don't be worried if it feels like it is taking too long.

Would love to return to the resort for a week of good weather.

2,704 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

my husband and I just came back from DR. I was our first time there. we stayed at the Barcelo Dominican Beach for a week.

We made our reservation thru Apple vacation. We had a great time! we were give a very pretty room in "bloque" 5 very close to the beach.

The night shows were incredible and service was great!

for my husband's bithday, Laura, from the guest service, prepared a great surprise for him in one of the restaurants. My husband was impressed!!! that kind of details are what makes an unforgettable vacations, and make the guests feel special!
thanks to all the staff! you did it great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rutherford, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just returned from a week at the resort and am NEVER returning. The first room I was given smelled of smoke, mildew and was a dank cave. The next room I asked for (as they try and get you to upgrade at check-in) was a jr. suite. I stayed in it overnight and woke with sever sinus problems due to the mildew. I again upgraded to an ocean view honeymoon suite. It was not laid out particularly well but I had no choice. The bed was like sleeping on a slab of cement.
The hot water was intermitent and when the power went out (daily) the pressure was non-existant. The room staff was accomodating and filled the mini-fridge as I requested. Good thing as the buffet was horrible. The resturaunts were not much better but once we found the Brazilian rodisio we booked it three nights. The entertainment was average. The booking desks for the varous tour companies are adequate at best.
I will say the drinks were better than most as we had a perk of top shelf Barcelo .
The resort needs better attention to detail and better organization. I have travelled extensively in this country and found Puerta Plata resorts much more attentive .
If you need a bed to crash, don't care about the room or amenities in it this is the place for you. If you want an enjoyable vacation at a sunny resort this is NOT for you. BEWARE!!!!

Room Tip: I used cheapcarribean and they booked this for me. I would recommend them as my travel plans change...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pictou, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I travel to DR every year this is probably the only complaint we have ever had, and its still not bad.
We are big time beach lovers we spend from 9am-6pm on the beach the whole time we are away. so its our most important spot on a resort.I'm going to try and explain this...when coming to the end of the resort towards the beach there are many beach chairs etc then to go in the water you must then step down a bank(very dangerous)the land has eroded away.When you get down the bank and drag a beach chair with you,there is not much room for the many passing people to walk past you, pretty much all locals as there are condos or apartments on each side of this resort.When the tide is coming in or the water gets rough you must then go back up the bank as it fills in with water.Other than that the food was great service was great the entertainment was very very lame and they didnt have it every night.However we dont go away for these things once you have been away a few times you dont watch the entertainment anyways.
So if you are NOT die hard beach people this is the place for you.If you are go somewhere else as you always have to watch your things that they dont float away we could have stayed up top however you are up so high all you can see is way out in the water.i love to sit back and watch the waves come in.
Enjoy

Room Tip: demand close to the beach this is the first time we ever had to change rooms it took many trips to t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This Hotel Excellance come by way of their Staff. They will go out of their way to help you. Several different languages are spoken by the staff as well. The facilities are very nice, the rooms are average and clean. The food at the buffet is average. The nightly entertainment is extremely talented. Wow! What a Show! The Singers,the Band, and the Dancers are all very talented. You will enjoy this Hotel.

Room Tip: They have optional pool side and ocean view rooms.There is an Italian Resturante by reservation only...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Whitinsville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Wonderful vacation. Was A little worried reading the reviews seeing I had already book my trip. Let me just say front desk was always there to help as well as guest services. Could always find something to eat that I loved. Lots of things going on at the pool everyday. Beach beautiful. Maid service wonderful. Just need to say this, don't worry like I did it was a great vacation.

MA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We just got back from vacation at the Barcelo Dominican Resort. I read and reread all the reviews the vacationer wrote. I must say I was a little afraid to book this vacation. I said "how bad can it really be"? Well to tell the truth I'm glad we went The food is very good. the people are very friendly, the casino was a lot of fun, and the pools at wonderful. The beach is to die for. I really didn't want to leave. Everyone has there own opinion. But this resort is really nice. Some buildings are older then others, but for the price it is well worth it. Go and decide for yourselves. We did and had a blast

Room Tip: Please don't expect to get into your room as soon as you get there. The maids have a lot of room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Dominican Beach? Share your experiences!