“Lovely huge tropical garden, Family hotel, 3 pools, beach in front, boats next door” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vista Sol Punta Cana

You added Vista Sol Punta Cana to your Saves list
Vista Sol Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Alemania s/n | El Cortecito, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #66 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Kolin, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Service and food in the Dominican Rep is everywhere average. I have tried many of them and you will find everywhere similare service-level. The mentality of the peeps is in general slow, they love to sing and dance, the rest is so la la la :-D ... but you get use to it, if you have also visited Kenya, then you know what I mean - Hakuna Matata :-D

For this reason you have to realise, that you are on holiday. it is normal here to be half a day without electricty, warm water or wifi. Mainly Russian and German peeps.

The meat is always "well done", because they try to kill the germs in this way. The Buffet is always full, you dont have to hurry, take your time. At the three other restaurants you have to que from 09:00 and make a reservation for the evening. At the beach there is a snack-bar-self-service with ice-cream, grilled meat, non-alco-drinks, risotto.

The tropical garden at this hotel is amazing. All of the rooms have some problems, but I was the whole time outside, so I did not care about it. If You give the cleaning-lady a tip allready at the beginning or daily 1USD, then she will take care of you. Drink water in the room for each person - daily filled up, towels also. Mosquitos to be killed before you go to dinner, you can buy at the hotel´s shopping center, open daily from 09:00-19:00. The massage is great, ask for Maria and the package which is 4x50USD instead of 60USD/hr.

Wifi is extra per Person, its cheaper to buy allready incl. in the room-price then at the reception. For free at the the theater, 2min away from the buffet-restaurant. Safe is big for a ntb but also extra.

Rent a car, before you come to the DomRep. Most of them are 15-20minutes away from the hotel, so they have to take you to there office and they want usually 75USD for a small Kia.

Dont use EURo. Change your money at the Airport otherwise they will try to charge 1USD:1EUR. The ATM gives only pesos and they use the the dollar symbol for their currency.

They celebrate X-mas from 01.10.-06.01, so they are always drunk at this time and the crime-rate is high outside of the Tourist-zone, Punta Cana is protected very good. You can walk around to the other hotels.

At this time it is very windy, the ocean is warmer then the wind... you need some warm clothes for the evening or boat-trips etc., but during the day, when the sun shines its great outside.

If you have a sensible stomache, you might have problems in and outside of your hotel. In this case drink Mama-Juana, which has a lot of herbs - something like Becherovka or Jagermeister. Bring chocolate with you, their chocolate is not very tasty and Toblerone ect is very expensive.

The dogs look like dingos. Those living on the street and near to the hotels do no harm, they are strollers. The poor natives keep them for security reasons, so in this case you have to be carefull, because they are very aggressive.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here from January 15-22, 2015. I booked this hotel last minute for me and my 10yr old daughter to go on a quick get-a-way. I had read all the reviews, both positive and negative. It wasn't the cheapest place, but far from being the most expensive. Just right for my budget.

The location is excellent. Only 20 mins from the airport, and is in the middle of one of the nicest stretch of beach I have seen. We checked in about 9pm without any hassle. I had pre-paid for the site wide WiFi, but when i asked at the desk, they said the manager has to authorize it and that he was gone for the night and they told me to come back in the morning. I just paid a few bucks in the vending machine for a days access and was online instantly. The next morning without even having to stop by the desk, the access password was slipped under my room door and all is good.

I got a standard room on the 3rd floor in 5000 Block. Close to the beach, and close to the main pool, close to everything. It's not a new hotel, buildings are older, furniture is old, but the room was very clean, always had hot water, good shower head & pressure, hair dyer worked, Pillows were very nice, beds were hard, but I still slept perfectly on them, plus we had each brought a small fleece blanket in our carry-on for added comfort. We didn't come to Punta Cana to stay in our room, we were gone before 8am every day and didn't go back (unless to quickly change clothes) until at least 10PM. So, for our purpose they were just right. I never even turned on the TV. We brought our own shampoo, soap, etc. so even if it was supplied, i wouldn't have used it. One unique thing about the room is that for the lights and air conditioner to work, you have to insert your room key (only one given) into a slot on the wall. So when we got there late at night the room was a little warm and muggy and the air conditioner was more of a fan than a cooling unit, but by morning the room was just about perfect. There is also a switch on the patio door to shut the air off when the door is open. Good for power savings but a tad annoying. With the door open, you could hear the music from the beach (which I actually enjoyed), but once closed it was very quiet.

The food is buffet food. There has not been a buffet that I have ever really fully enjoyed in my life, so this was no different. The presentation of food was very nice. You definitely had to be pretty selective with what you chose. Mornings I stuck to the omelettes and french toast. My daughter had either cereal or fruits. The self-serve coffee "vending machine" actually produced what I thought was incredible delicious coffee. We only went for lunch a few times, and it was average. Had supper the 1st night and it was also average. We got reservations for the Italian, Mexican & Gourmet restaurants the following nights. They were all tasty and satisfying but nothing too special either. Stopped by the snack bar a few times during the day and again late at night for ice cream and coffee. Tried the fries and burger there too, once again not bad, but not the best either. Overall I think the food is ok but not quite up to my standards. I heard there is a good, fancier restaurant a little way down the beach but we never found it.

Bar service was always good. I always got what I ordered. I wasn't there to start a conversation with the servers so language really wasn't a barrier. Everyone was polite. Even when I needed something from the other staff, I was able to relay what I wanted and I always got what they were saying, even if I didn't know the words. Never had any real contact or need to communicate with the staff but when I did, there was never a problem.
The beach is a bit crowded, If you’re not there early, finding a chair in the perfect spots can be tough, most of the sunny spots are taken, leaving only the shaded areas, but you can always drag your chair to another spot quite easily. Never were very many people in the warm water, so was always good for a quick dip. Be prepared to get bugged by the locals walking by selling sunglasses, or trinkets. A simple “No” and they’re on their way. The others working on commission selling excursion packages are a bit harder to get rid of, but at the same time I did buy a couple, and they were very polite & helpful. When we went parasailing there was a guy on the boat taking pictures, I agreed to pay for them and he said he’ld meet me at the resort entrance that evening at 6pm to give us the CD. He didn’t show up, the next day I mentioned it to one of the “salesmen”, he ran off to search and within 10min, the pictures were in my hands. Depending on if you want their services or not, it can be either helpful or a nuisance.
The 3 pools were nice. We only used the main pool. They were never busy, just a couple swimmers at most, or the odd group of a few people taking scuba lessons on the far end. The thing I really didn’t like is that they close the fully lit pools down when it gets dark at 7pm? We were on the beach or on excursions until at least that time every night, so didn’t have a chance to take advantage of them. My daughter loves the water and would have loved to go swimming in the evening after supper. I would have joined her too or sat by the pool enjoying a drink while shew swam. Unfortunately when we did try one night she was asked politely to get out.
There were shows put on every night beside the main buffet area. We did walk by and watch a couple minutes, but never did stay to see a full show. What I did see seemed like it could be fairly entertaining. There were always other activities scheduled every day: volleyball, dance lessons, soccer, games, exercise classes etc. I didn’t attend any one of them so really can’t comment on those. All I know is that they existed. I also never saw any of the advertised non-motorized water sport equipment? There is a booth by the beach but it appeared that all they wanted to do is sell you lessons or excursions?
Overall I think this is an adequate resort. Nothing too fancy but not a dump either. I don’t normally like to stay at the same resort on every trip I take. I always like trying different places, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. At least I know what to expect.

Room Tip: higher floors are probably better for view and less noise.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This was our first time in the Dominican Republic and had a great time at Vista Sol...I would recommend this hotel to anybody it is family friendly (I took my 9 year old daughter)...though this resort had some vry minor issues (hard beds,not enough lounge chairs on the beach) its hardly enough to complain about...the food was plenty and well prepared,staff was friendly and the grounds were always kept vry clean...we will be back for sure

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Swim up room not so...poolside room. Hair dryer not working, needed maintenance to replace 2 light bulbs and check leaking water above shower that got worse each day. The day that I left the ceiling water dripping in many more places and tiles bulging where I had a fast shower worried ceiling might collapse on my head.

Food good at buffet.

A La Carte system awful. Usually Sunwings has rep that gives several A La cartes per week where you have times and tickets but not at Vista Sol. You line up at 7 a.m. ( hard to do if you go on a tour at 6:30 a.m. ) and filled for day before 9. Half full A La Cartes most likely to save money as food at A La Cartes was excellent!

Sunwings rep Jimmy wasted 2 days of my vacation getting my one tour ticket out of the 4 that I prebooked in Canada. Left me sitting there waiting for him . Other female rep said she could not assist. Nexus guy Visctor kindly kept me company inbetween his clients but even though all 4 Nexus tours could not help me.
I paid for Jungle Rally tour more expensive. Told Side by Side less expensive tour and even when I presented paper printout showing Jungle Rally took 2 days off my vacation getting correction. Not happy!

Weather great. tours good although not detailed as should be. Catamaran tours no docks so jumping from dinghy to catamaran and back and wading in water not noted before tours.

Santo Dominigo worth 3 hours on bus. Only one stop La Romana to use bathroom as no potty on bus. GRRRR...

Altos Chavon and Catalina Island good tours. Bebe Catamaran unless you snorkel not worth it. Great crews on each tour!!!!

Mexico more tourist friendly but worth once seeing Dominican.

Lila

Room Tip: swim up room although poolside best room
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I went to vista sol for my honeymoon on dec.5.2014 and when we got there our room wasnt clean! There was some kinda liquid on the toilet seat, long pieces of hair all over the floor, the furniture was old, the room was basically a huge disappointment. They offered to clean the room, but were we really disguested with the first impression of the room so we decided to get another room (pay for a room upgrade. We moved to a jr. Suit).

Barely ANY of the staff spoke english! So it was hard to communicate with anyone other than the guest.

The food was terrible! (Not exaggerating). The only things I enjoyed during my 7 day stay was rice and beans, baked bread, a few cakes (marble, etc), some of their vegetables, mash potatoes, fresh fruits and a lobster at their french resturant.

If you just wana have a good time, drink, chill on the beach and you dont care about great food, or about receiving good customer service, this is your spot. If on the other hand you do care about the things mentioned, I highly suggest you look for another resort

• Stayed December 2014
Chatham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I found the front desk staff were not friendly at all (in fact, some were down right rude), nor were they overly helpful or accommodating. Although it was the low season, we could not get into our rooms until 4:30, and when asked why it was taking so long or if there was a problem, even though I asked in Spanish, they would not answer me. They simply ignored my question. (These were the younger clerks. Others I talked to during the stay were much better.) However, when the porter spoke up for me, they were extremely rude to him (an older gentleman) and proceeded to laugh and make fun of him. If these people were the face of my hotel, I'd get a facelift! Others who worked there were lovely, especially Maria Ventura in the restaurant. The grounds were okay and the room was okay. I would definitely not go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The service was good, Ayad checked us in with a cool drink, which was a nice surprise. The room and beach is fine, nothing exciting. Everything was fine, except the food was so horrible and old. They literally served day old potatoes and other things that were just inedible. Me and my husband couldn't enjoy any of the food. When we got there around 3pm the only thing open was the self serve snack bar which was very dirty and unkept and consisted of hamburgers and hotdogs, which were also nasty. The entertainment was also a snoozer, boring! Nothing to what I've seen in other all inclusives. So since we were starving the whole time there we couldn't truly enjoy anything else. There are a lot of other hotels there that are way better for a little more. The country is beautiful definitely worth seeing and the people are super nice.

Room Tip: No wifi in rooms and the wifi they have in one area is so slow you can't upload or download anyt...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
VistaSol_Hotels, Resident Manager at Vista Sol Punta Cana, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vista Sol Punta Cana.

As a company focused on service, at Vista Sol Punta Cana we continue working hard day by day for the optimization and improvement. We deeply regret that our gastronomic offer did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not indicative of the feedback we usually receive from our guests.Our hotel offers a wide variety both in our buffet and the specialty restaurants, with the aim of meeting the culinary demands of different cultures who visit us.At breakfast, lunch and dinner time we offer to our guests a wide variety and fresh selection of vegetables, legumes, fruits, juices, fish, seafood, meat, pastries and more. However, quality is a subjective concept.

Thank you for choosing Vista Sol Punta Cana.

Best Regards,

Been to Vista Sol Punta Cana? Share your experiences!