“The beach is great - but that's all...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Vista Sol Punta Cana

You added Vista Sol Punta Cana to your Saves list
Vista Sol Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Alemania s/n | El Cortecito, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #65 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The beach is great - but that's all...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Let me set the scene : The last hotel on our trip, it's dark and raining, 11pm after a long journey, all we want is check in, eat and sleep. We're interrupted at check-in by a topless Russian man shouting. We ask about food only to discover that the restaurants closed an hour ago. Then the porter comes to take our bags, it's still raining and he's complaining. Then the lift is out of order, so we offered to carry them up the stairs ourselves and he's complaining. We get to the room and ask if he's there tomorrow so that we can tip him as we have no cash but he just walks away without answering. There's no hairdryer in the room, and the safe doesn't even have a lock. We go back to the reception to connect to the wifi but we can't find the free service. I start to get upset and we seriously sit down and think about whether we can lose the money we paid for Vista Sol and still afford to check in somewhere else.

Beach : The beach was brilliant, the best thing about this hotel. Close to the hotel, with lots of sun loungers, we got there at about 10h30 and managed to find two left at the front on the water. We had a great time playing like kids in the sea! In the morning after the rain there was a lot of seaweed on the shore. Walk down about 3-4 minutes to the left and you'll find a small local shopping complex run by the locals, it's better than the shop at the hotel and it's fun to barter.

Staff : On reception the staff are really helpful. The porter really let it down. You do get quite hassled by people selling tours and the timeshare apartments next door. We bought some souvenirs from their weekly craft market and the vendors were really friendly and trusting, allowing us to return to the room with our purchases before returning the cash. There's no waitress service in the buffet area either, even coffee is self-serve.

Food : The buffet is basic, with vegetables and meats, but nothing spectacular. We also tried to book in the Mexican restaurant but it was full so had to go to the Gourmet, the food was nice and presented well. The food in the Sports Café on the beach is just burgers and pizza. There is a good range of cocktails included, and the beers are very nice on the beach.

Facilities : The room was nicely decorated. Free wifi is only available in the theatre area. They kindly fitted a hairdryer for us the following morning but when we came to use it it wasn't working. My hair had dried naturally by the time they did come and fix it! The air conditioning in the Gourmet restaurant was far too cold, a lot of people were sitting with jackets on. The towel hut didn't have towels when we got there, and we had to come back later, still no towels, an hour and a half later, we finally get our towels.

I definitely wouldn't come again, and I wouldn't recommend it to friends. I'd rather pay a bit more money and have a more modern hotel with better service, and more cosmopolitan guests (we heard a little American English, one instance of French and the rest was all Russian).

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
VistaSol_Hotels, Resident Manager at Vista Sol Punta Cana, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Vista Sol Punta Cana.
Your feedback is very important for us in order to continue improving our services. We were disappointed to read that the hotel did not match your expectations. This is certainly not indicative of the feedback we usually receive from our guests. I have shared your comments with the the heads of each department involved on your comments in order to carry on improving. According to some of your points, let we clarify that our Snack Bar is open until 12am so after your C/in at 11pm you could have taken something for eating there. On the other hand, for getting de locker of the safe, fistly, it`s necesary to make the payment at reception.
I do hope you will give us another opportunity by returning back to the hotel to experience our true level of service.
We hope to have you with us again.
Best regards,
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Czech first
New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

If you're experienced with resorts and hotels like I am. Do not come here, this resort looks old, very old. So old that, in the reception you will see how they keep painting white paint over white paint over their walls. BUT, the front desk workers are very nice. I had to come here for two nights due to rooms not being available at another resort I was at. Same day booking here, which is good. But... The standard rooms here are 2 star, they are in very very bad shape. No amenities in them, just waters in the fridge, no coffee maker either. Only positives of the rooms here is an elevator in the complexes and flat screens in the rooms. Now... As for eating, the buffet will remind you of how old this resort looks. Outside they are metallic chairs, painted white in cheap paint. Very heavy and uncomfortable chairs might I say. The buffet food, you don't have many options, just a few. Here's another negative here, attracts wayyyyy too many locals. Trust me, you don't want to go to resorts where locals come. Nothing agaisnt the locals of The Country of DR, as my family is Dominican but I was born in NYC. The bad thing about that is, you cannot TRUST them when it comes to leaving your stuff around or better yet. When you're in the club, DO NOT leave important things laying around. And DO NOT leave your cellphone in your back pocket if you're a guy. They will steal it from you, that's just the reality of it. Some people don't go for fun, they go to rob and make their investment back and more of what they spent to come. Now the pools here are built 2 star, the beach area is better. The only good part of this resort. Now to the thing that irked me the most about this resort and why I will never come back. The Animation staff is the type of to act like they're the superstars of the place. They are certified Sanky Pankys and this resort reminds me of why Puerto Plata went down hill. That's how I felt here, a certified Puerto Plata hotel. Which infact, their shows are copied from many resorts from Puerto Plata. I guess some show people go around and teach different animation staffs the same shows? So as soon as I saw that, I immediately made the decision to escape this resort. The Snack bar here closes at 12 before the club, uhhh? You're supposed to be open after the club, nobody likes going to bed without anything to drink after drinking. And if you have a standard room, guess what? You're not going to have anything LOL Only water, trust me I've been to MANY resorts. This resort ranks worse than Barcelo Dominican beach PERIOD. This place is not recommended, only if you've never been to The Dominican Republic and you want to have a good time with annoying Animation staffs.

Room Tip: Don't spend more to get a better room here, rather use that money to book another resort with a...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
VistaSol_Hotels, Resident Manager at Vista Sol Punta Cana, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vista Sol Punta Cana.
Firstly and according to your review, we are disappointed to read that the hotel did not match your expectations. This is certainly not indicative of the feedback we usually receive from our guests. The quality concept is really subjective. What for one may be a product with quality may not be for others. At Vista Sol Punta Cana, we make consistent efforts to guarantee the satisfaction of our guest and fortunately we got it most of the times considering most of the review published on Tripadvisor.

When choosing a hotel is advisable to know what kind of tourism product we want and then to analyze the value for money. However, I would like to points that at Vista Sol Punta Cana we makes big efforts in orden to improve day after day our services and product.
Vista Sol Punta Cana is a relatively new commercial project. The current management,we took the control 5 months ago. During more than 15 years this hotel was named Carabela Hotel.

In these months we are achieving significant improvements but still we want to improve more and more. Our business philosophy is excellence and personalized service.

Thanks for choosing Vista Sol Punta Cana.

Best Regards

Bahamas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When we checked in around 3:00 pm we were given a clean room with a nice view but the a/c didn't work. It was hot and we were unsure of the security so a/c was necessary. They said go back and wait in the room - someone was coming to fix it. After multiple trips walking to the front desk to ask why no one was coming (the front desk wouldn't answer the phone) I finally went down in a rage at 8:30 pm since the restaurant was going to close and we were still waiting. Now, a maintenance guy came behind me. (Why did I have to get ugly for someone to even look at the a/c?) He took a quick look, shrugged his shoulders and said he couldn't fix it. We were previously told there were no other rooms available - now they miraculously found another room but the lock on the back slider door was broken. This might not have been too much of an issue except that - here's the red flag - we noticed that the perimeter of the property was fenced with razor wire and armed guards patrolling it. Not wanting another encounter with the maintenance staff, I fixed the lock myself. Overall, the staff were apathetic and the food and drinks were truly awful. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
VistaSol_Hotels, Resident Manager at Vista Sol Punta Cana, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that the hotel did not match your expectations. This is certainly not indicative of the feedback we usually receive from our guests. I have shared your comments with the departaments involved on those inconveniences. Thank you for telling us about your stay.

Best regards,

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When I go to a beach, the most important thing is THE BEACH. It is beautiful!. A little narrow, with white sand and blue warm waters.
I got an ocean front room that was spacious, clean and well funished. Had I wanted something fancier, there are more expensive rooms in the same hotel.
The food was wonderful, Latin American style, great variety. It was difficult not to gain weight.
The people in the hotel, absolutely helpful and corteous.
There were guests from diferent places, with diferent dressing styles (we weren't used to the Russian style, but it wasn't offensive, just different, far smaller bathing suits).
The gardens were a delight.
I would recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Top floor. No bugs, more quiet, better view,
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

We´re very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our staff and services.You have highlighted many aspects of which we are proud of: warm service, ,comfortable rooms, good restaurants and bar services ....... Thank you very much again.

We look forward welcoming you again at Vista Sol Punta Cana.

Ucluelet, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just used this facility for tennis instruction, playing. This is a totally underutilized amenity on the grounds of Vista Sol. It ran me $15 for the court and $15 for instruction so a total of $30 for the hour, good luck getting that rate anywhere else. Francis the Pro, has totally resurrected my game. The instruction was premium, and even as a partner to rally with, what a great addition to my vacation. There is a total of 4 courts, racket rentals, group or private lessons are available.
You have to pay at the reception through the gate then walk across the street to access the courts. I believe it was an additional $10 to have the court illuminated. I believe these costs are included when you stay with the resort.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
VistaSol_Hotels, Resident Manager at Vista Sol Punta Cana, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vista Sol Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. Currently and in order to your review about our tennis facilities, the guests of Vista Sol overnight staying in our property they could rent for free the tennis court and to get rackets for example just for a dollar. According to the personal tennis lessons, twice a week all guests at Vista Sol, they have included tennis lessons at the morning.

We hope to receive you as soon as possible at Vista Sol Punta Cana.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I started coming to this resort almost ten years ago. There has always been something about this hotel that has made me feel like I am home. The employees are very friendly and do their best to ensure that you are having a good time and that you are very comfortable during your stay. There is a wide selection of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the main restaurant in the buffet. If you make reservations in advance you have your choice of excellent French, Italian, or Mexican cuisine. There is an animation team that try their very best to keep you entertained throughout the morning and afternoon including Meringue, Bachata, and Salsa dance lessons and there is a different show every night. The disco opens after the show and they play a variety of music and the DJ will try his best to play your requests in a timely fashion. Maybe I am sounding a bit prejudice, but I can tell you that some of the happiest people that you will ever mean in your lifetime live and work at the Vista Sol Punta Cana formerly Carabela Beach Resort and Casino and on the island of the Dominican Republic. I have made numerous friends over the years from all around the world and we try to meet from time to time at the hotel. There is 24 hour security and the grounds are kept very clean. The beach is breathtaking and the ocean is the most beautiful turquoise. If you are looking for a great place to stay and want to just simply relax and unwind, think about staying at Vista Sol Punta Cana. Maybe you might not think it's a five star hotel but if you give this hotel and the staff a chance, they will try and give you the five star treatment. Cheers!

Room Tip: "Sweet" Junior Suites located on the beach!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely words and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. It`s very nice to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us one more time.Thank you for highlighting our staff, services and others general facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Vista Sol Punta Cana, as you said: "Your home away from home"

norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

once again I hope to return to Sirenis May 2015 and meet up with all the staff who make the whole trip a great holiday for a single traveller like my self. Have a walk along the beach and have a cool beer at Gunula!s bar.Last of all the beach is really great its kept clesn every day
by the gardeners wot more can you ask for

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room try th Tropical side./
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
VistaSol_Hotels, Resident Manager at Vista Sol Punta Cana, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vista Sol Punta Cana. We hope to have the oportunity to welcome you at Vista Sol Punta Cana as soon as possible where you will have a lovely and unforgettable stay.

Resident Manager

Been to Vista Sol Punta Cana? Share your experiences!