“Great vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #52 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
hartford, connecticut
“Great vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Beautiful beach, wonderful pool, friendly staff and the mix of guests was everything from families to romantic couples. Lots of holding hands and smiling faces here. The food was good although here is where it lost a point. I'm not a big eater so it wasn't an issue, but the restaurants on site were clean and the service was good. If you want buffet, use the one by the pool, there are no birds joining you at table side.

If you have weak legs, try to get a room somewhere in the middle of the complex. It is a bit of a haul from the beach end to the front desk, although it is all in shade which is good because it can get hot on the concrete.

We upgraded to privileged and it was worth it. We didn't have to leave a deposit for towels or drag them with us from the beach to the pool every time. The beach section in the privileged was a little more comfortable too. There's a bar on the beach in the middle of the two sections.

One thing to note when booking a trip to Bavaro is that the water is different at almost every hotel. Here we had smooth swimmable water, good for kids, further up the beach there were roiling waves. Look closely at pictures to see what the water is like at your chosen resort.

We LOVED it here and would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Somewhere in the middle of the complex cuts down on the walking.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Shebda,

Thank your for posting your comments about your recent stay with us. Also, thank you for your great comments about our beach and pool, the friendly staff and for recommending the upgrade to our Privileged area.

We would definitely hope to see you back at Catalonia Bavaro, really soon!!

Best Regards,

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Polish first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here on a girl's trip. It was everything we needed - nice pool, beautiful beach, perfect size resort (not too big), decent food and drinks and lots of laughs! For the price, great hotel, very nice staff and a warm, beach vacation. We would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ChicagoSusan,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Bavaro.

It is great to know that you chose us for a girls trip and enjoyed your stay with us so much. Thank your for your comments regarding our food, drinks and of course the beautiful beach!

We will be delighted to have the honor to have you and the girls, as our guests one more time!

We hope to see you soon!

Best Regards.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

If you're on a budget, this is the place to go. Most of the resorts we looked at were super expensive and this was one of the cheaper ones. If you're looking to catch some sun and spend some quality time with someone, this is the place to go. The rooms are clean, big and the resort grounds are nice. Everything is centrally located, midnight buffet is open all night, you'll always find a drink and some food.

However, the food is bad. We literally spent the entire trip eating hamburgers and french fries. The dinner restaurants were a little better, but not by much. The food is bad. If you're looking for good food, this is not the place for you.

The food (while a big deal) was our only issue. Other than that, we had a great time. The beach was great, water was calm and clear, the pool was great and the staff were friendly. The resort was a bit crowded, but it was only two of us, so we found our way around. This wouldn't be my first choice of hotels, but if you're on a budget and looking to have a good time, you'll be happy with this resort.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Michelle W:

Thank you for you taking the time to give such a thorough review of Catalonia Bávaro.

I'm glad to note that you enjoyed our rooms, our grounds, our beach and the pool.

We are sorry to read that your perception of the food in the hotel was not great, I will pass your comments to our Executive chef, we are striving to have great comments in this area.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have been to Mexico before, Cozumel area, and it was so high pressure sales from the second you step off the plane. I was pleasantly surprised that people were around more to make sure you got to where you needed and provided you with information. Majority of workers spoke good enough English that communication wasn't an issue and also helped me work on my Spanish. The check-in process was easy. We upgraded to the "privileged". It was an extra $15 a day for us (I think it was a special) but it had some nice features like a room by the beach, private area on the beach, dining, check-in/out. We felt it was worth it. The property was beautiful. A lil big, but no sky rises which I like, just quite a few 3 story buildings. It was about 5-7 min walk from the front area, which housed the buffet and a lot of the entertainment, to the beach and pool where our room was. They did dance lessons on the beach, volleyball tournaments, plenty of loungers and in the "privileged" section even nice beds to lay on!! Sometimes drink service was slow, waiters took about 10-15min sometimes more to bring a drink on the beach, but if i wanted it quicker I could have got it myself. The pool bar on the other hand could have used about 2 additional bartenders, but I got over it, I was living on island time. The disco was fun (except karaoke on sunday), it just didn't open until 11:30p.m. but they had staff that would dance and help you learn the latin flare. All in all I would go back. The worst part about the whole stay was the bed was hard. We were there for 4 nights and if there would have been a 5th i would have been sleeping in my hammock or the beach bed.. The buffet was surprisingly good. Not very impressed with the steak house, but with privileged we had access to the spanish tapas restaurant which had zero wait and was amazing! Casino sucked though.

Room Tip: The privileged was worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kori H:

Thank you for taking your time to review our beautiful hotel.

I am really glad to read your comments about the staff, especially our Animation team and our beautiful grounds. Thank you for upgrading to our Privileged area so could enjoy the different perks we have to offer to our guest, like our Terrace Tapas Lounge & Bar.

I'm really sorry about the inconvenience with the bed in your room!

We really hope to see you soon at Catalonia Bávaro!!

Best Regards!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

My partner and I booked our first holiday together and it was both our first time visiting DR, and I must we cannot fought the hotel at all!

There was a tiny glitch with our room at first, spoke to reception and it was very quickly dealt with. The staff we found were very helpful and friendly. We spent most our evenings at the lobby bar and watching the shows which we thoroughly enjoyed. The entertainment staff were very good, trying to get everyone involved and there was often something going on by the pool.
The food we thought was good (I highly recommend the wok station at dinner time and the Italian a la carte).
The beach was gorgeous, you do have to get down there quite early to get a bed but either way, it's a lovely beach, we spent a few days there relaxing. And not too far from it is a lovely buffet restaurant.

The pool was lovely, and we loved the swim up pool bar!!

I could go on for ages, but all in all, the room was fine, the staff were lovely the food was great and we enjoyed the entertainment. The resort is beautiful, if we go back to the DR we'll book up again at Catalonia Bavaro!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Rachel P:

Thank you for sharing your Catalonia Bávaro experiences on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to read that you chose us as your destination for your first time in the Caribbean.

We are happy to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased with the service and facilities at the property. Thank you for your great comments about our gastronomic offer.

Thank you for recommending us, we look forward to seeing you soon!

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Wow, where do i begin.
I am not going to tell you that everyone at this hotel did not meet good expectation some did and some did not. The properly yes look nice but as they say do not let look fool you. we arrive from Sunday May 18 to Thursday May 22. I would describe my vacation from hell as not a good one... because once something goes wrong everything will turn out bad to worse. In this case we left 600 dollars in our safe secure and once we return the money disappear. I do not understand how my money dissappear and my safe key was left in a well hidden spot in my luggae inside clothes, shoes,etc due to a lot of rain that day. So if you are reading this yes there staff goes through your personal belonging.... unbelievable... It gets better. Once we did a full report with security it was taken to the Director of the Property which his name is Ruben [--].
Mr. [--] did not handle the situation as a profession individual or as an individual with that title. It is sad to work hard and plan a vacation all year around and everything you work hard for it is taken from you. Instead of us being the victim Mr Ruben and his staff made it seem as if they where the victim. The outcome was to give us 3 days certificate to return as a priviledge member due to the investigation being continued. Mr.Ruben with all due respect why would i want to return to your property if nothing was done and the investigation continues. which in DR mean is close. As a native from here i know how thing work... But Mr Ruben if you are reading, do use a favor and do not entertain this type of action from your workers....Mr. Ruben as you could see I am an Educated man myself as you told me i was because i had no common sense . great way to speak to your guest...
Moving forward the food I would rate 2 out of 5 is not as good as other review where given.
Even though that incident occur I will not criticized their entire staff. I enjoying my time after that incident at the pool most of my time there I was given great and outstanding Service from a gentlemen call Juan he made our vacation mood change. If i was management and i was reading this I would move this gentlemen from a bar tender at your pool to a hire position because this individual lives up to the standard to represent your company.
Also another individual name Patrick that work for Guest Relation made our vacation great due to always changing our mood due to the frustration of our money being taken. Another individual you should consider management. Mr Ruben this two guys make you look like a super star and other staff like fabian from the steak house great service.... if your are reading....
Room service as you can tell horrible -THIEF on the run. But rooms are not well maintain crack, spiders web, and hair in the tub everytime they clean. And please take this into consideration I am a Maintanance Engineer for hotel please talk to your director of Engineer caulking and silicone is not the solution to fix everything Attention to details PLEASE...
Show entertain could better i would rate 3 out of five.
The service in the mirachi restaurant which is the mexican restaurant horrible you order and your food take 35 min to come out we ended up not even waiting for it.
Breakfast was okay no complaint.
Food they need more selection not that much if you travel like we do it was not that much of a selection.
Pool Bar and the beach staff and drink by the pool was the only thing that was excellent... thank you again for making our stay welcoming Pool bar tenders team especially Juan ...So if you stay there look for Juan he make good drink good soul good person...
One thing i could say go eat at the steak house and italian place but that if you decide to stay there. PS BRING A MASTER LOCK, Mr Ruben will pay for the shipment send the master lock ahead of time....
Unfortunately, this property is not as great as we though it would be due to the reviews. I will also be reaching out to Corporate because I feel that the lace of service as someone like myself who works for hotel is unacceptable and inappropriate. As for the Management team you should be embarrassed and i feel that this individuals are not suitable for there position..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Birdie150:

We would like to thank you for posting your review about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually do our best effort for all of our guests.

We are sorry to hear that some other aspect of our hotel failed to exceed your expectations. We can guarantee you that; we are going to take your constructive comments into consideration for ways of improving.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

First and foremost, Punta Cana is amazinglyyyyy beautiful!!!!!! On top of that, the resort is breathtaking. Catalonia will definitely spoil you. From the food, to the employees, and fellow guests. Positive and fun vibes are all there is!!! You are constantly greeted by the entire resort staff. The food ranges from good to amazing. The steakhouse is definitely #1. The italian restaurant is good as well and beautiful!! The beach is incredible!! They offer numerous free kayak rides, golfing, tennis, paddling, etc in addition to the excursion you can sign-up & pay for. My friends and I did ATV/DuneBuggies as well as Zip lining in the rainforest. Both were awesome!!!!! Not to mention, there's a few pools and one main one with a bar attached. Insane!! I stayed 8 days and loved every second. The staff are amazing and that makes it all the better. Key people: Domingo from the lobby area, Jenny from guest services, Ezikiel and Ana from the entertainers,Gerlin and Melicildes from the main/lobby bar and Rosa(I think that was her name) from the Gran Caribe. She is a hostess who makes a difference.She truly cared. Each of these people made a difference in my stay and I enjoyed it that much better!! I cant remember all the people but just know this resort and it's employees will not disappoint!

It is about 20minutes away from the airport and farther away from local towns but so worth it. You don't really even need to leave the resort to enjoy. The bar is alwaysssss ready to make exactly what you want and keep them coming! Rooms are clean and fresh. Always stocked with water and soda and beer. I really have nothing negative to say.

Just go there and experience for yourself!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Amara U:

Thank you for taking your time to review our beautiful hotel.

It is good to know that you enjoyed our restaurants, our food and the service received from our staff, especially by: Domingo, Ezequiel, Ana, Gerlin, Melquiades and Rosa. Also I am really happy to read that our resort is breathtaking for you!

Thank you for recommending us!

We are looking forward to seeing you soon!! Right now is 84F in Punta Cana, is sunny and gorgeous outside! Another reason for you to come back!

Have a great day!

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!