“Fair Review - good comparative value, beautiful beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #53 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Central Ontario
“Fair Review - good comparative value, beautiful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

So, first off, I give this 4 stars because of comparative places I have visited in the Carribean - and no, it would never be a 4 star hotel in North America. Second, folks, you are on vacation - if you are worried about some tiles being loose in a bathroom, saw a cockroach somewhere, the food wasn't fine dining and this bothers you terribly, suggest you stay in a nice hotel in your local city. This was excellent value (I paid just over $1000 pp in the middle of March break) for a Punta Cana resort. So very happy with my choice.

Beach - gorgeous....150 yards or so deep of lovely soft white sand with well spread out Palm trees. Lots of chairs (resort was full) and several palapas (you need to be out no later than 7:30 am) but if you didn't get one, lots of trees for shade. Only drawback was that there are grassbeds in the water (lots of area without though), but the grass detaches and they have to sweep every day and there are some floating stuff in the water in places. A reef breaks up the waves about a half mile from shore so nice calm water. Very little watersports - very little coming and going from dive shop, a very occasional banana boat ride...short and infrequent so not an issue. Topless? Yelp, my son and I went topless, my wife did not...place was full, some university kids. 6-12 women a day would be topless...big deal. I'm pretty sure my 13 year old son does not need therapy. Just a non-issue.

Pool - very nice, water nice temperature, pool bar. Have seen fancier ones and I suppose some tiles could be painted but not noticeably. Lots of chairs, trees and palapas for shade, good snack bar (better than I've seen even at the Bahia Principe in Mexico).

Drinks - quite good. Almost as good as my experiences in Mexico and ten times better than Cuba. Beer was very decent and very cold. The Bar at the lobby was particularly good and a nice "bar feel" at that bar. No issues at all at the pool or beach bar. Lots of mint and limes on hand. Very decent margaritas...my wife even was okay with the restaurant wine...better again than Mexico or Cuba.

Food. My expectations were low given it was the DR but pleasantly surprised. Nothing to write home about but very decent quality and selection. I especially liked the cheese bar...a guy does nothing but stand there and cut up what kind of cheese you want...lots of choices..and that is at the buffet. Did all 4 a la cartes...Japanese was somewhat entertaining - quite social - but very poor teppanaki - overcooked. Mexican was actually very decent and lovely restaurant theme inside and out. Steakhouse was a nice theme as well, very relaxing, lots of choices - again, this isn't the Keg so don't expect a thick cut of beef, but it was good. Italian was the best - try the Ossobucco. Lovely atmosphere and amazing service. Lastly, but not least, I think most people didn't realize there is a Creperie (included) after 4 pm till 11pm. We would often walk around the boardwalk shops and sit at a nice outside table on the boardwalk and have a delicious crepe - lots of choices of toppings...and very few people were ever there despite the resort being full. Good friendly service too.

Rooms - quite nice, spacious, Panasonic flat screen TV, huge tub, small shower stall, kept very clean, most comfortable bed I have had in all my trips to the carribean. Had a ground floor which I wasn't thrilled about but turned out to be great. And...no cost for the safe which is nice. Again, this isn't the Marriot in New York. If you want something fancy and better then stay in the US or pay much more $$$ and go to another resort...again, beautiful beach - great value here.

Service - almost everybody was very friendly, very helpful and language was never a problem. The gymnasium guy seemed a bit unfriendly when borrowing ping pong paddles and the like but that is pretty minor. No complaints on service. Estesia that greeted us was fantastic and made us feel at home.

Vendors - Was never bothered by a vendor on the beach to buy stuff EXCEPT excursion people...they were constant but most simply walked by if you said "no thank you". They would wait for you outside the buffet restaurant by the beach in the morning..you had to walk past about 4 of them from at least 2 different companies. Resort should not allow them within a certain distance of restaurants or bars. One night there were several vendors allowed to have tables up near the lobby with cigars, rum, jewellery (mostly) and paintings...they were a little pushy but not terrible.

Entertainment - wasn't impressed with the night shows I saw...Miss Catalonia was terrible, just 4 young women from the audience having to do certain things. Shaw the Musical Show dancing...they tried hard but very poor compared to shows I'd seen in Mexico and Cuba...not good. Activity people weren't very pushy for darts, archery, yoga, dance exercises...etc. which was good. Note though that resort photographers are out every day kind of pushy to take posed pictures for you and your family...you can go see them on the boardwalk at night and purchase them...we actually surprisingly did this...very good photos.

Excursions - did the parasailing - booked at the resort dive shop but happens in front of the Barcelo and Melia (what a zoo that area is with boat traffice - terrible). Parasailing...okay I guess, experience not great as the parasailing van dropped us off in the care of a guy who runs a souvenier shop that claims they aren't ready for you so you stay in the store. Even though we were only a 10 minute drive away, the van was 20 min late picking us up and it turned out that a 10 minute parasail burned 3 hours of the afternoon. Also did the zipline - booked through our vacation provider Transat...a good experience,12 lines, well run, interesting drive in the country (40 min).

NB. not that it matters but clientele mid March was mainly Canadian, European with several Russians and only some Americans...lots of the Americans were students on March break...pretty well behaved.

hope this helps - remember, beautiful beach, not far from the airport, very little boat traffic, calm water (although some floating grass that comes in), decent food, very decent drinks, fair price.

Room Tip: If you want to go to sleep early, ask for a room not facing the central corridor on the nightly ente...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Polish first
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our fourth trip to Punta Cana and our first time at the Catalonia. We stayed from March 14, 2014 to March 21, 2014.

We had booked a superior junior suite in the privileged section. Prior to our stay, I had emailed the resort to request a ground floor room and a king bed. I was aware that this would be accommodated upon availability.

Upon arrival we were taken directly to the privileged lounge. Check-in was fast and efficient. My only regret is that I did not catch the name of the lovely lady that checked us in. She was very pleasant.

We were transported to our room by a golf cart. We were pleasantly surprised that we had been assigned to a ground floor corner suite in Villa 2. It was an amazing location right next to the beach. The room was spacious and clean and met our needs. The beds and pillows were very comfortable.

We forgot to take our sign off the door the following day and by the time we noticed it our housekeeper had finished our building. We were fine and didn’t need our room cleaned but wanted some beer and pop for our fridge. We went to the privileged lounge and spoke to Angel and within minutes of getting back to our room, Jose, arrived with the items we had requested. It is our preference not to have our room cleaned every day. Our housekeeper, Maria, in Villa 2 was so sweet. She made sure on the days we didn’t want the room cleaned to bring us the items we needed, beer, water, coffee, towels, etc. She was amazing!

We went to the lunch buffet at La Palapa every day. The food selection was great and we enjoyed having the advantage of the privileged section. We chose to eat at the Gran Caribe for supper each evening. I always found something to eat but found the selection at the lunch buffet to be better. The service was outstanding and we enjoyed the privilege section in this buffet too. We will take advantage of the a la cartes next trip. We heard they were good by other guests.

I did not spend any time at the pool but in passing it did not appear that it was overcrowded or that there would be any problem finding a place to lounge.

I spent every day in the privileged section of the beach. You had to get up a bit early in order to get a palapa. The beach was beautiful and the bar staff was great and entertaining! Nicholas “Cage” was a great laugh. Francesca was very attentive and provided great service to us on the beach.

We tried the casino every night for a little fun. We certainly didn't get rich but it was entertaining. After the casino we would always go to the Palmeral Bar and get seats close to the side by the theatre so that we could watch the entertainment. The first night we were there we were served by Maria. She remembered what we liked the second night and we made sure we were in here section every night after that. She was a ray of sunshine and really made our trip! We enjoyed our talks with her every night and never went without a drink. She always served me the best cappuccino! She was our absolute favourite! We wish her the best of luck with her baby boy due to arrive in a few months!

The entertainment staff were great and really got people involved.

We did notice that the market only comes in on Fridays, which was a little disappointing. We arrived late Friday evening and they were getting ready to pack up and were just setting up on the Friday when we were leaving to go to the airport. It would be great if they were in twice a week on different nights.

Although our room was closest to the beach, we did not find the walk to the buffet and entertainment to be bad. It was maybe 5 minutes at the most. We did not mind it at all.

We had an absolute perfect vacation. The weather was great, the beach lovely, the staff amazing and accommodating and the room perfect. We can’t wait to come back!

Room Tip: We had a room in Villa 2 in the privileged section. Our preference is to be close to the beach. It...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Speyer, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was the first time we stayed in this hotel and we were completely disappointed with the quality and the state of appartments (toilett sealling was not leakproof, the tiles in bath are not fixed properly, cockroaches in bath, electricity blackouts etc.). Organization of trips&outings is very poor as well as the way the hotel guests are treated by the hotel administration. One has different expectations from the 5 stars hotel!!!
The location and the beach are nice, but be carefull with the sun umbrellas on the beach which are made of straw!!! They are all infected and if you get insured with them, it may cause a dangerous infection (my father-in-law experienced that during our stay in this hotel, my husband still has scares on his shoulder).
The only good thing about this hotel is the entertainment team, they did really a good job.

Room Tip: Good luck or choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was our second time at this resort in the last 5 years! Upon check in we were upgraded to a privileged room. I had requested a room in Villa 4 as that the same building we stayed in on our last visit. This time we were placed in Villa #6 which is one building over but is now considered to be a priviledged room. These rooms are still very closed to the pool area which is what I had requested. The room was a renovated one and we had a lovely whicker conversation set on the patio area. We received a bowl of fruit and a bottle of rum to welcome us too. The beds were comfy and the room was kept clean.

In terms of the activities they were plentiful and fun. Be it on the beach or poolside.

Considering it was March Break for Canadian elementary students and Spring Break for American college students the resort didn't seem very busy and all of our requests were looked after immediately.

The food was overall good for a resort. Loved the pizza at the Snack Bar! Plenty of variety at the buffet and no one got sick!

The beach was well-kept and the water was crystal clear.

A big plus is the location-only 15 minutes from the airport

WIFI worked well on the patio of our room, but not as great in the room!

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the pool/beach,(any villa with a number between 1-8) in case you need to use...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Connieca,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. It was a pleasure to read your review and delightful to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm happy to read that you were upgrade to our Privileged area and you had the chance to enjoy all the extra benefits this area provides. I have to thank you for sending us your requests in advance; like that we were able to satisfy your expectations.

Thank you for choosing us once again! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best Regards!!

Hibbing, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We traveled to PC in a group of 8...For 4 of us, it was our first tropical vacation, and had very high hopes for a wonderful time. We were NOT disappointed!! The grounds at the Catalonia Bavaro were immaculate!! The pool and beach were awesome!! The entertainment crew was just amazing!! (Ana and Fernando are our new familia) Our rooms were clean and comfortable. We always had plenty of hot water for showers and to fill up the wonderful round bathtub! The food in the buffet's and resturaunts were very very good. Would we go back??? In a heartbeat!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Lori B:

Many thanks for your comments!

We were happy to hear that you and your group enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your good feedback regarding our team-members.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Catalonia Bávaro soon!

All the best,

Steinbach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Catalonia Bavaro is a beautiful resort with a great beach, located only 18 minutes from the Punta Cana airport. Very friendly staff and excellent services. Only draw back is that there are very aggressive sales people all over trying to sell you on things. Quite aggressive I must say and very annoying. This is rather unfortunate, as otherwise the resort would get very high rating from me. I also watched how others felt about it and found that, although polite, many found it annoying. In one situation a senior couple asked me how to deal with them. They just wanted peace. If you want peace and be left alone, this resort is not for you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your review, we do appreciate you taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay with us.

We want to apologize if by any time you felt besieged by any of the sales representative in our hotel, is not our intention to make our guest feel like that. We will pass you comment to their managers.

Thank you for your comments about our friendly staff and excellent services.

We do hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Bávaro.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Planning my wedding is suppose to be the best time of my life. Leading up to the wedding everything was perfect and the wedding was flawless. Then came the day after the wedding. We had book an excursion with the hotel, going through the right channels so we thought, and we were on our way. We had a great time. We came back to get ready to go to dinner, going into our secret hiding spot where we hid our valuables and noticed that they were not there.
Missing: Wedding rings (both husband and wife), engagement ring (handed down from generations in my family), promise rings (two diamond rings that had my daughters names engraved), school ring (husbands graduation ring from college) and $1300 in cash. Here's the kicker. We hid them, not in the sight of the window. So we believe that there were cameras in our room. This is an assumption but how else did someone specifically go to the exact place of where we put our valuables? Why were they not in the lock box you ask? Well we asked for the lock 3 times and were denied them because they over booked the hotel (go figure) . If I can save just one person this would not go in vain. PLEASE PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS HOTEL. They have proceeded to close our case with no explanation, no ownership and not a phone call. We filed a police report and still nothing. I am happy that I am married but you could never tell because I have nothing to show that I am married. Thank you Catalonia Bavaro for taking what was suppose to be the greatest time of my life and changing it to the worst experience in my life.

Yours bitterly,
Bride with a broken heart

Room Tip: A room where your valuables don't get stolen.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Mrs.Simpson:

In reference to your comments ab out your stay on November 2013, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about your wedding. We appreciate it and is very pleasant to know that you found this as a good point.

The hotel counts with a rigorous system in which does not allow any employee leave the premises with foreign objects. We are sorry to say that the hotel is not responsible for lost items.

Our Guest Service Department and Rooms Division Manager were assisting you all the time and we went with you to the Police Station too. Our hotel is always at the disposal of any client offering all kind of assistance. Either way, we appreciate your comments as they help us to improve our service.

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns and help us in the quality processes we have.

We will be delighted if you give us the opportunity to have you again as our VIP guests, and let us pamper you in the way we like to treat our guests.

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!