“Royal Catalonia is MUCH nicer and right next door- Beach is awesome” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #52 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
“Royal Catalonia is MUCH nicer and right next door- Beach is awesome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

This place was a disappointment. We spent 5 days there and just got back last night so I wanted to get this review going before I forgot the details. I read SO SO many Trip Advisor reviews before choosing a resort for our winter escape, and I can't believe I didn't see this in the reviews:

This resort (Catalonia Bavaro) is completely connected with Royal Bavaro. There are multiple paths back and forth between the resorts. The Royal Bavaro people have two ridiculously nicer pools and much better lounge chairs. They are allowed to come over to Catalonia Bavaro and drink, eat, enjoy the nighttime entertainment etc. but the people at this resort were not allowed to go over there. We tried! My husband looked it up and said that Royal Catalonia costs $30 more per night... this is DEFINITELY worth it if you don't want to feel shut out of the MUCH better side of the resort. It is insulting, and made me feel like a second class citizen which was not was I was expecting especially since we have paid to upgrade to Privilege AND had the Honeymoon package (although thankfully this was not actually my honeymoon!).

Catalonia Bavaro has the WORST pool I have ever seen, and the D.R. was my 21st country visited. It is peeling paint everywhere, has the worst layout, and the bricks around the pool are sticky and nasty. They need to start over. The pool was a huge disappointment, and was the reason I didn't choose the Royal Bavaro (Royal doesn't have a swim up bar). The yellow chairs you see in the pictures are mostly all tinged with black now and look dirty. They are the worst beach chairs I have seen at a resort.

Luckily we had the nicer Privilege chairs and beach beds. The beach is truly stunning and is by FAR the best feature of the resort. It is SO different than Cancun which is all high rises and resorts. These two combined resorts (again, should just be one darn resort!!) are the only thing around, at least that we saw. I got up early the first morning to save chairs on the Privilege beach, but realized later that it was unnecessary. I spent the rest of the mornings sleeping in and we always got great chairs since the Privilege beach wasn't as full.

Another huge disappointment was the people bothering us constantly. They want to sell you motorbike tours, dolphin tours, scuba, you name it. There were also the resort sales people who literally waited like hawks by the restaurants to get you coming in or out. We probably said no to salespeople 100+ times in 5 days. It grates on you.

There are multiple people picking up cups on the beach and by the pool, but we only got 1 person 1 time to bring us drinks in the Privilege section of the beach. I think that would be an easy upgrade for the hotel to make, especially if you are paying more for Privilege. Tell one of the cup collectors that he is upgraded to drink getter, and he would make a mountain of tip money!

The drinks were fairly strong... not amazing, but okay. The food was disappointing.. the Japanese was pretty good, the steak place served the toughest steak I have ever had, and the Italian place was nothing special.

As for the Honeymoon package, it includes the other highlight of the trip besides the beach: the lobster dinner on the beach with your own waiter. Our dinner was 2+ hours and was delightful. We felt special since we were the only ones on the beach! Another part of the package was 2 30-minute massages. My massage was ok, but my husband said she basically just gently rubbed his back the whole time, not actually massaging at all! It also included a bottle of champagne which was a nice way to start our trip. We also had access to a nice bar in the middle of a pond. It was not included with regular packages, but we enjoyed drinking there! It was a bit fancier! There is a casino and a little shopping mall that we enjoyed a bit too.

The housekeeping was very poor. Twice we didn't have our refrigerator restocked and I had to call down for it. Once we didn't have our toiletries (shampoo namely) restocked and I had to call down and wait for that. Very irritating. This should be a given-- restock the rooms! Our room even had a honeymoon banner hanging on it the whole time we were there... I thought we would get nicer treatment from housekeeping, but no such luck. Our room ACTUALLY had a view of the ocean-- Room 114-- since we were in the Privilege section. We felt lucky to be so close to the beach! They have upgraded the pillows which was needed according to other reviews.

My husband and I speak Spanish, so we enjoyed using it here. The resort is huge and involves a lot of walking which could be tough for folks who are out of shape. It is a very international crowd (Russian, Canadian, French, Spaniards) and I would guess that the majority were not Americans. I liked the international flavor there, but was irritated by SO many saved chairs and no one sitting in them! I would not come back, though if a friend asked, I would recommend the Royal Catalonia right next door.

Room Tip: If you upgrade to Privilege, you will be close to the beach, though not necessarily with a beach vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear viajes26:

I appreciate you kind comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

Thank you for recommending our future guests our partner hotel,Catalonia Royal. We are next door, but as you could have seen we are oriented to different public. Catalonia Bávaro is our family oriented resort, that's why you will see a variety of activities and areas that you might not see in the other hotel. Catalonia Royal is our ADULT ONLY hotel. That is why some guest will differ in which hotel they might choose according to they need.

We would like to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

I would like to thank you for your comments about some areas that need more attention, we are analyzing your comments to see if we can do it differently to improve our areas and service.

We hope that at some point you will decide to come back to The Catalonia Bávaro, and give us another chance.

Best Regards.
CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just returned from Catalonia Bavaro Beach. Had a great time. The beach is beautiful, the water is crystal clear. The resort is very clean, our room was total renovated. My husband and I love the food. Many choices. The staff was friendly. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Ria0962:

Thank you for the favorable review you gave us about your recent stay with us.

We are very satisfied to know that you and your husband enjoyed everything we have to offer, especially our tasty food and friendly staff.

We can't wait to have you back!!

I really hope to hearing from you soon!!!

Best Regard,

Markham, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We recently did 9 days at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino and Resort. I have been to Punta Cana about 7 times, but first time at this resort.
I know these reviews are all relative to what someone is used to, but they are kidding themselves with the 5 star rating.
I have to say the staff was very friendly and very focused on taking care of you (with the exception of the front desk on the night we checked in). We upgraded to Privileged which was a waste, as you really didn't get anything for the upgrade. The rooms were identical and nothing special. Our room in building 3 had such a bad odor from the air conditioner, so we turned it off all week. Yes, there was a separate area of the beach for Privileged, but sadly there was only 1 washroom for the whole beach and was a walk from the Privileged area. It was supposed to be superior drinks, but in most restaurants, the wine was barely drinkable, yet in others it was good. We ate most meals at the buffet as we heard that the a la cartes were terrible. We did do the Japanese and it was pretty good. The main buildings are very nice, although the lobby bar has zero atmosphere. The Animation team was lively and there were things to do every day if you wanted. I noticed people complained about the resort size and all the walking required. That didn't bother me a bit, and found it easy to figure the place out. The snack bar by the pool had great pizza, chicken and fries. We stopped by after a day at the beach, but sadly they only served beer. I had to go to the pool bar to get wine, but not drinkable.
The resort is closest to the airport, so you're there in no time. The beach is a little further down from the next group of hotels, which made for less locals peddling their goods.
Punta Cana has a great beach and this was no exception, but for your money, you're better off at Be Live, Majestic or Rui (we stayed at the Palace). All far superior in accommodations. It was a great break from Toronto's winter, but if you are use to staying at nicer places in the Caribbean, then I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: The buildings are 3 storey. I don't recommend a ground floor. I would normally say upgrade, bu...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear June K:

Thank you for the feedback you have given about our resort in your review.

On behalf of all our team, I will like to apologize for falling short of your expectations. We are working on improving our shortcomings.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the services of our great staff. They are always willing to offer our guest, the best in everything they do.

I hope you give us a chance to have you as our guest once again.

Best Regards.

Heidy L. Collado
Asistente Dirección & Comité Ejecutivo / Management Assistant & Executive Committee
HOTEL CATALONIA BAVARO BEACH, GOLF & CASINO RESORT*****
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having just returned from my stay at Catalonia Bavaro beach, I now understand the mixed reviews. I enjoyed the beach which is exactly why I came here. The food/drink were exactly as mediocre as I expected. There were a few annoyances but no dealbreakers. All in all a decent stay.

Beach: The beach is the reason I came here and it's beautiful. We had to reserve our chairs at 6:30am to get a palapa which was a bit annoying since I like to sleep in. I've been to places that don't allow you to keep stuff on chairs and I think that makes it easier for everyone when people can't leave their stuff out there all day. If you don't need cover from the sun, it's probably easier to get a chair.

Grounds: They are well kept and there seems to be a full staff on 24/7. The resort is huge and requires some walking. This wasn't a negative for us but could be for someone else.

Staff: Everyone we encountered was very pleasant. There may be a bit of a communication issue, outside of the front desk, if you don't speak Spanish. The guests were from many different countries. They have a color coded wristband system to tell which language you speak. I thought this was a smart idea but I'm not sure they really use it because the staff were speaking to me in Spanish until I spoke to them in English.

Room: We had a priveleged room. We were upgraded and the people who worked there were really excited for us. But the upgrade didn't really show in the room which was a bit rundown. The ceiling fan didn't work. The shower stall is tiny (don't try bending down :) i have no idea how bigger people shower here) and had no shelf to put your toiletries. The design of the room just seemed to be poor with alot of under utilized space. But it was closer to the beach so that was a definite plus for us. I'm just not sure it would have been worth an extra $30pp per night. Just for clarification, the rooms are close to the beach, not beachfront or oceanview.

Food: I think the food and drinks are standard all-inclusive quality. Not horrible but not great. The italian restaurant was the best of the alacarte restaurants. The japanese place is hibachi style with possibly the worst "sushi" appetizers I've ever tasted.(they don't use raw fish(i presume for safety which would be fine if it still tasted good) and the rice was dense and chewy). The steakhouse steak was not cooked the way I ordered it but it was ok. The buffet across from lobby "Gran Caribe" was better than the one on the beach (can't remember the name) but both had a wide selection and they even cook some stuff to order. In my opinion, this (and the italian place) is the way to go. There's also some fast food (pizza/hotdogs/french fries) next to the pool and is available pretty much all day. The rotisserie chicken was good.

Drink: I think I would rather pay for a few well mixed quality drinks than have all-inclusive drinks so keep this in mind. The drinks are served in those small juice cups they use in dorm rooms. Tips get you more liquor (AKA vitaminas). If you plan on drinking all day, I saw many guests had brought giant travel mugs with them. The few drinks I had were pretty low quality alcohol and mixes. I had a caipirinha which was pretty good (fresh limes). Beer (presidente) is a safe bet.

Activities: There are plenty of things going on. I didn't participate in any of these things so I can't comment on them. I did witness some aerobics, yoga, dancing and some games on the beach.

Sales pitch: The way people in DR hound you to buy stuff is utterly annoying. There are also people on the beach trying to get you to participate in tours and activities and buy lobster dinners all day long. I guess it depends what you are into but I just felt like it was a little overkill...if I wanted to do those things, wouldn't I seek it out myself? Also I'd like to look at what you are selling without the pressure of someone yelling at me to come over and look. But that's just me. I like to relax when on vacation. Also, they will try to get you to "tour" the facilities. I'm pretty sure they said that it wasn't a timeshare; that it was to get repeat customers but either way I wasn't interested. I said no thank you but they were persistent. Again, this was annoying to me that I had to keep saying no. The concierge admitted that he got points for my attendance.

Room Tip: Priveleged rooms, at a cost, are closer to the beach (although not oceanview or beachfront) and furt...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Trippingdaisy:

On behalf of our staff, Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, the peaceful nature that surround us and the service that our staff provided.

Our rooms are on the remodeling process, we have already changed our beds and pillows. Regarding the small showers, there is a project to refurbish these areas too.

I will like to apologize if by any time you felt besieged by any of the staff of the Traveler's Club ,is not our intention to make our guest feel like that. We will pass your comment to their managers.

Once again Thank you, I do hope you give us another chance to make your stay even more wonderful!

Burlington, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The staff at the Catalonia could not do enough for us. They were wonderful. Special thanks to Sandy and Santana who we spent our evenings with. They were fun and attentive and friendly. We will miss you. The food is good, not the best we have had at an all inclusive but far from the worst. Breakfast and lunch were always good. The rotisserie chicken at the snack bar by the pool was wonderful. We tried all 4 al a carte restaurants I think my favourite was the Japanese, it was very entertaining. The others were ok a little hit and miss. But over all fine. The beach and the pool were beautiful. The resort was very clean and everyone was very helpful. Carolina our tour representative was friendly, very helpful and informative. For the money we liked this resort very much and had a great week there.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2400 block on the inside. Which had a view of the main walkway up the middle of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear _Dave_K_Lloyd_:

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words about our Team members, especially about Sandy and Santana.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that we made your stay memorable. Our Japanese restaurant is one of the best restaurants we have in the hotel, great choice!!

This is an excellent example of what we are aiming at Catalonia Bávaro, is to provide all guests with a highly personalized service and make them feel welcome in a home away from home while they are with us.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to Catalonia Bávaro, hopefully in the near future.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Beautiful beach, great for families, the water is calm and the service is great
We have been to other places before but, one thing was new to us and we really appreciated

It might sound shallow but we wanted a family picture that wasn't a selfie and didn't want to bother anyone who is on vacation as well

We notice that once every morning photographers would show up, and they were PRO, they would take as many pictures as you like and you choose if you want to purchase or not

Its great to have wonderful memories that are not only selfies!!! So thank you to the italian team (Francesco, Victoria and Maria) for helping us with the pics!!

Stayed February 2014
Dear Kuni H,

Greetings from Punta Cana!!

Thank you for the favorable review you gave to Catalonia Bávaro.

Is great to know that you had a memorable family vacation and that you took advantage of our beautiful scenery to take with you unforgettable memories.

I will give your greetings to Francesco, Victoria and Maria! They will appreciate hearing from a satisfied guest.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards,

Kendal, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I would like to know: Who are these people that write horrible reviews about this place?? Yes, the place is not shiny and new, and yes there's some room for improvement. But they are for sure improving the place and making an effort! While we were there we saw them replacing mattresses, pillows, patio furniture, bicycles, etc! I saw a review saying that all the workers do is stand around and talk loud all day? This is not true! Everyone from the maids, bar staff, maintenance, entertainment crew, ground keepers to the waiters/waitresses were always running off their feet and ready to help out whenever they can. Many of the waiters served us at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Imagine starting at 6:00am or so and working until at least 11:00pm - EVERYDAY! I also saw people on here ripping into the entertainment. There was always something to see/do, whether first thing in the morning, or late at night. Unexpected things too like a bartending flair (those who put on a show while bartending) by the main fountain. Spaghetti (member of ent crew) ROCKS! Nobody could beat him in the beer drinking contest and he made it hilarious! He was also the MC for alot of the night shows and did a good job. I thought the Italian a la carte had the best food, but I thought all of them were quite good. We never had to wait for an a la carte, we always showed up right when they opened at 7. Lots of people say they were hounded by timeshare people. We were never asked once - maybe we looked like we couldn't afford it? lol

Pros: Nice beach with soft sand, Micheal Jackson, Circus and Brasil night time shows, no need to book a la cartes - just show up, free Wifi (although they said lobby was the best spot, I had better luck by the beach and pool), very close to Punta Cana airport, use of safe in room is free, mini fridge gets restocked frequently with beer and pop, Pizza shack at pool :), Some premium alcohols are at certain bars at no extra charge.

Cons: Shower is a bit small and curtain needs weights at bottom so your not wrestling around with it like Kramer in an episode of Seinfeld. Resort is big - those with mobility issues may have problems. No clocks anywhere - not even in room (and of course none of us brought a watch). Ratio of bathrooms to people seemed really off. For the pool and beach area I only noticed 1 stall behind the pizza/grill shack and 4 stalls behind the beach buffet. The Italian and Japanese restaurants only shared one stall and my friend used the bathroom at the Mexican Restaurant and she said it was a one stall unisex bathroom.

Room Tip: We were in 2708, a little far from the beach/pool, but close to the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TabDM80:

Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough review of Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

I really have to thank you, because your comment will help our guest to know, that we are working hard on improving our hotel. As you mentioned, we have started with replacing our beds and pillows, also to be able to give a better service to our guest, we changed all our bikes.

As well, thank you for noticing the effort that our staff makes everyday to offer the best to our guests.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the bathrooms and showers. We are aware that the small showers are not our guest's favorite, so I'm really happy to tell you, that we are also working on a new project for this.

Again, we thank you for your great feedback and we hope to have you back at The Catalonia Bávaro.

Have a great day!

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!