“Resort staff was incredible” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #52 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ocean Pines, Maryland
“Resort staff was incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My girlfriend, her sister and I came to the Catalonia Bavaro because of the (mostly) good reviews on TripAdvisor. After staying for a week, we cannot understand why they werent all perfect reviews. The food was good, the views and amenities were better, but what really made the trip special for us was the staff, especially Spaghetti and Anna. They were always smiling and making us laugh. Always had fun activities planned and were very personable. As someone who works in customer service myself, I always appreciate the little things like friendly staff that make things stand out. We would 100% recommend this resort to anyone and will definitely be back in the future (as long as Spaghetti and Anna are working there).

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I was skeptical after reading other reviews, but dont listen to them. This was an amazing, beautful place. Staff was out very early into wee hours of the night working the grounds. The entire staff was very friendly and spoke English well. I wanted to send a shout out to Anna(chocolate) and all the other entertainers for a great vacation. I was worried about getting sick before I arrived..not the case. The food was great and it would be your own fault if you left hungry or thirsty. We meet some great people there. We will definitely be back!!! Thank you Catalonia for a great 1st anniversary trip!!!!
Kristi and Scott

• Stayed October 2013
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

First of all after reading all the reviews I was concerned and considered changing my hotel. The hotel grounds are beautiful . The rooms are dated, but the cost is great for what you're paying for.

I would say the rooms are equivalent to a motel six, but larger. It has a large jacuzzi style tub for two without the jets. The resort is split into two sections regular and the privilege side(upgrade).. It also has a royal side for couples which is a upgrade to the main side. They have access to both sides. Basically you can upgrade to meet your specific needs.

I ate at two speciality restaurants which you don't have to make reservations for. It's a first come situation. The Mexican restaurant wasn't good. The Japanese restaurant was good. The buffet restaurants has enough variety for everyone. You can't leave your food unattended because the birds are waiting to take your food. The buffets are open air restaurants where you sit to eat.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful when asked. Some people just don't get it; sometimes you have to show yourself friendly first...

The only excursion we took was the Mega truck Safari. It was a all day trip, which you to do and see a little of everything. Dominican schools, houses, family, tobacco making, chocolate Coffee, horseback riding, and the Maco beach... The beach is really pretty, but not enough time spent there. The vendors are real pushy there. If you don't want to be bothered just tell them no and stop communication with them and keep moving... Look for discounts on trip advisor and online discounts before you arrive or online when you arrive.

All in all we had a great time at the resort. We may consider upgrading to a nicer side or just come back here... We didn't stay in our room much, just to sleep...

One more thing.. The beach is nice and calm. Some days more see weeds than other days. They are cleaning the beach and grounds daily. The Maco beach had no sea weeds, but had more waves... There is a shopping area toward the royal side of the beach, you can barter there.. We got some good deals. The hotel prices are much higher just like at any resort. You pay for convenience.

The Mosquitos have enjoyed my sweet skin. I have the proof all over my legs. I brought spray but forgot to use it a day or two. They are really bad. Bring your on spray and cortisone to sooth your skin..

Room Tip: Villa 20, is a excellent location. Close to pool, 24 hr restaurant and beach buffet. 2nd floor or a...
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to book our vacation to this resort about a year ago and I started reading the reviews. First off, this is not our first trip to an all inclusive resort. Our past two trips were excellent and the reviews for those two resorts were mixed for both.

Upon arriving to the hotel there was a long line to register. The grounds appeared nice, the lobby also. No one met us with a cocktail as stated on their website. There is a communication barrier between the front lobby staff if you do not speak Spanish. After checking in, we waited for someone to bring our luggage to our room. This took quite a while. Finally what I believe to be a maintenance work with a single seat golf cart took us to the room. Thought one of us was going to fall out.

Our room appeared nice at first glance- kind of date look but clean. Yes, the mattresses are extremely hard and the pillows are so lumpy as stated in other reviews. First night we didn't do much- walked to the bar and had a cocktail and were approached by the vendors (it was Friday) on our way. The vendors do not take no for an answer if you look at any items. They actually came in the bar and persisted.

Next morning I attempted to make coffee and the coffee maker was broke. Called the front desk and was told someone would bring a new one. Our shower was extremely small and the floor sloped, making it difficult to stand. The water poured out all over the floor as the curtain was too short making the floor slippery.

We had to meet with our Apple rep and he was told we were disappointed with the room. No coffee maker, dangerous conditions in the bathroom. He went to the front desk and returned stating, "You have a beautiful room". They did bring a new coffee maker and several towels to soak up the wet floor.

The food was poor at best. I am not a picky eater but most foods were not appealing. The rotisserie chicken in the snack bar was the best thing to eat. The ribs were kept sitting out not heated. Burgers were inedible, not sure what kind of meat or what was mixed in. I expected some sort of seafood but only saw tuna steaks that could be grilled. They were a gray color, not fresh pink. The crab cakes in the Rodeo Steak House were crab flavored jello like product. Inedible!

Eddie in the lobby bar was an excellent server. He was attentive and actually conversed with us. The rest of the staff was standoffish, including the restaurant staff.

The restaurant servers in both buffets were not quick to bring drinks. After asking politely three times for a beverage I got it myself. The servers were quite rude then, stating they were to get it. They are quick to clear a table though, when you are still eating. We were handed comment cards one night at dinner. The staff started hovering when we were filling it out. The ratings were "bad, good, or excellent". We had filled in bad for the service because it was and immediately numerous servers came to our table demanding to know why. When I asked them to let us eat, they started muttering Spanish that I could not understand. We informed the person taking the comment cards that the servers were verbally abusive and he just shrugged.

The martini bar by the Japanese restaurant was nice- had a good selection of drinks but we weren't aware that anyone could go there (thought it was privileged) until two nights before we left. But one night sitting there they decided to fog the perimeter of the property with what we thought was pesticides. The smell was over powering and I'm thinking possibly toxic as I woke up with a sore throat and throwing up the next morning.

There isn't much to do except sit in the pool or by the beach. The excursions are pricey. We wanted to go into the city shopping and was told they had an excursion to do this. The excursion was a cigar 'factory' and a chocolate factory with a small gift shop. No bartering- set prices that were very costly. We were told there was no city bus and cabs were costly- the cab drivers basically inflated the return prices; don't pay their fee and end up in jail. We didn't want to take that risk.

We met several couples that had rooms were the air conditioning did not work. Our's worked at one setting which was actually cold. I added blankets to the bed at night which made sleeping more comfortable.

If you're looking for a place to go to sit in the pool or beach and soak up sun it's fine. We went in the end of September and basically it was too warm to sit in the bar in the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have just returned from the Catalonia and must say we had an amazing time. The service, the staff--everybody was very friendly, nice and professional. Extra points to Gerlin, Iselle and Raidon!! Those three individuals alone made my stay at the Catalonia worth a repeat visit in the future. The hotel grounds are very well kept and the beach is beautiful. The swimming pool at the Catalonia is absolutely amazing. Really the only thing I didn't like about this hotel was the room itself. It's very dated, the toilet was busted when we first got there, but the staff was quick to fix it. The A/C worked like a champ, and the ceiling wasn't leaking as some other reviews said. All in all, I was very satisfied with this resort and I would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Bavaro beach.

TIPS BEFORE YOU GO:
Pack bug spray!!! During the day, I didn't have any problems, but at sunrise and sunset I was eaten alive. I don't know what it is about the Dominican mosquitos, but man....I've never itched so bad in my life. If you don't pack bug spray, you can always buy it there at the hotel market for $23 per can. Might as well pack some hydrocordizone cream well.

We packed 3 bottles of sunscreen between my wife and I and went through all of it. The sun is brutal down there so if you think you have enough sunscreen, pack one more bottle.

You can use US dollars at the hotel and virtually anywhere in the Dominican. The ATM at the hotel will charge you $9.30 fee. So definitely load up on cash at the airport before departing.

Of the 4 specialty restaurants, only 2 are open per night then they switch the next day.

I wasn't a fan of the pillows at this hotel, although the bed was plenty comfortable. You may just want to pack your own if you have head and neck issues.

and last but not least, don't overpack.Seriously. I always over pack and I even did again on this trip, but then I spent all day everyday on the beach or the pool in my swim trunks.

Other than that, get ready for a great trip!! Can't wait to make it back down to the Dominican Republic.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

June 9 - 15, 2013 - a group of 16 friends traveled to what we thought was going to be a great vacation destination. Upon arrival at the resort -- Catalonia Bavaro - I could tell immediately that we were in trouble -- I could tell as soon as we arrived that this was not a 4 star resort. The place looked old and out of date, staff was lacking in hospitality and enthusiasm and seemed to just take their time. Well, my fears were confirmed upon entry to our room. It was terribly old, musty, out of date and not very clean, no towels, toilet paper, very worn out mattress and pillows were like lumps of clay -- and calls to the front desk were taken very lightly. The couple in the room next to us actually had a rat/mouse nesting in their room, which they actually saw when they came in one night. Request to meet with the manager were met with 'she is in a meeting', later we were informed that she was afraid to meet with us because she was 'afraid' of us because we were so angry about the conditions. Long story short -- we were finally moved on the 3rd day to the other side, which was much nicer, cleaner, more modern with a better staff attitude -- the food on both sides was not much to brag about, actually not worth talking about. Our vacation rep was also of no assistance to us and only tried to sell us trips and stuff. But we made the most of it and eventually enjoyed ourselves because we came as a group. Will never go back or recommend!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I had a fabulous time!
Minerva and Miguel at the Privileged Concierge Office were both amazing! They made our stay so memorable.
They both went out of their way and tried their best to satisfy all our needs.
I had mentioned to my husband how come there are no mangoes, so he mentioned it to Miguel while at the concierge office while I was checking my email on their desktop, next thing you know, Miguel was calling someone to find us mangoes,a few minutes after a waiter from one of the restaurants came over holding 2 big mangoes for us. They were so good. Not the same as the mangoes we have here in the west coast. I thanked him and told him that he just made my day - on my wedding anniversary day - he asked if I had mentioned this to them when we booked and I said no. After dinner, when we got back to our room, they brought us a plate of fresh fruit - that was unexpected and was not necessary but we greatly appreciated it and was very impressed of the personal service.
Minerva was just amazing all the way. I was not quite happy with the first unit they gave us so I called her and sure enough, after some checking, she found us a great room with a view. My husband and I were ecstatic.
After checking the pictures of this hotel, we were kind of worried since we've never had gone on an all inclusive trip before. It went over our expectations.
The place, the food, the music and especially the people were wonderful.
All the servers and hostess were amazingly nice - whether we tip them or not.
The drinks were great too - you can always ask them to add more alcohol.
We are already planning a trip to go back w/ my three grown up kids in June.
We all can't wait to go back!!!
It was a memorable trip for both my husband and I.
I'm glad we chose Punta Cana and booked at Catalonia Bavaro Resort

Room Tip: I would recommend to upgrade to Privileged. We were treated like VIP's
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!