We stayed here for our honeymoon. First off, despite all I am about to explain...we still had an excellent time and went on lots of excursions. Plus, we booked this all inclusive hotel for super cheap...so all in all we cannot really complain too much.
When we arrived, we noticed that the room was ok, pretty average. The bathroom design was poor with the large bathtub (with no jacuzzi jets) and sink/closet on one side and then the toilet and shower crowded into this tight little room across from the sink with a separate door. The bed was also right in front of the slider door to the outside (we were on the bottom floor), so you really needed to make sure that the curtains were kept closed. There was also limited room/drawers to keep clothes in.
The thing that obviously really bothered us was the GI issues aka severe diarrhea that both my husband and I suffered from on and off throughout the entire 9 day trip. This happened right after eating their food. We could not pinpoint exactly what it was...if it was the food or water or whatever. However, you do need to keep in mind that the sanitation procedures are different in the D.R. For example, gloves were never worn when preparing or serving the food. We also saw one of the ladies mop the floor with the dirty pond water. In the common bathroom areas, I noticed that soap was not always restocked...which adds to the questionable nature of why we got sick...does the staff have access to soap after visiting the restroom?
To keep this brief, several tips I can give are (1.) Please pay attention to when the restaurants are open. We assumed they were open every night but they alternate nights. (2.) It is advisable to take anti-malarials before coming to the D.R. I got bit by a lot of mosquitos and may take the anti-malarials just to be sure.
So all in all, the food was ok and we loved the pizza, beach and pools. The variety of the food could have been better. We went on full day excursions to Samana, Los Haitises and Santo Domingo. The food was also WAY better than the hotel food on these excursions!
We had an great time, but I do not think we would return here because of the diarrhea.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Bavaro
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Catalonia Punta Cana
- Catalonia Bavaro Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Golf & Casino Resort
- Punta Cana Catalonia
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Golf Casino Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Catalonia Bavaro
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent hotel resort with exclusive, white sandy beaches, crystalline Caribbean waters, palm trees lining the coast and abundant vegetation throughout the complex. Coral reefs along the beach allow guests to enjoy the rich marine life of the Caribbean Sea. It is located in Playa Bavaro (Punta Cana), one of the best beach areas in the Dominican Republic. The complex is situated 20 km from the International Airport of Punta Cana and 47 km from Higuey. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Splendia, Travelocity, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, TripOnline SA, Otel and Agoda so you can book your Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.