“Hotel rooms require renovation...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #51 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Hotel rooms require renovation...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Upon our arrival on Saturday, July 27th we were placed in a room that was definitely not prepped for a guest (our flight landed around 21:30, so we ended up checking in well after 22:00)...We found beds in the middle of the room (pillows had no pillowcases), mini fridge and a TV were not working, bathtub was leaking water from somewhere, shower curtain had dark stains, mirror/dresser area had dust and sugar residue over and underneath the glass cover, giving us a terrible first impression...I called the front desk right away to place my complaints and soon after, guy arrived at our door to bring us pillowcases we had to put on ourselves. Being tired from the trip, we crashed. Morning after, I went to the front desk to complain about the issues we discovered in our room...I talked to supervisor Leonilda and was informed she would have someone fix all of the room problems I brought up...That same morning I was scheduled to meet with Expedia connected agent Alexandra to confirm our returning flight/transportation details...She went on to talk about hotel services, tours, and all activities that are available to us for an extra fee...I told her, forget about those, I am having issues with my room and golf or anything of that nature is the last thing on my mind...She was shocked when I told her about my experience and immediately took me to one of the customer service agents on site, Nadesh (I apologize in case I misspelled her name)...She listened to all of my complaints and was so understanding & polite...I told her that I am not expecting a five star treatment, all I want is a clean room, with no leaks of any kind...One thing that surprised me was the fact that only a privileged room will have an iron/ironing board and it is considered an amenity, otherwise you have to borrow an iron for a couple of hours and spend your precious vacation time ironing your whole suitcase (who wants to do that while on a vacay?!)...I wish I had known this, because it would have definitely impacted my booking decision (I have never heard of an iron being an amenity as it was always readily available in other resorts I stayed in prior to this trip)...Anyways, long story short, customer service agent Nadesh and a front desk supervisor Leonilda worked their magic that day, gave us a better, clean room that even came with an iron :) Nadesh even sent us a complimentary fruit plate later on and called to inquire about our experience with a new room...I really appreciated her effort to not only work out my complaints, but to also follow up to see how I was doing afterwards...Even though we had a rough start, a wonderful staff of Catalonia did everything in their power to make our stay an enjoyable one (because quite frankly, if I had to stay in our original room 2702, I would have left Punta Cana earlier - new room 3022 was so much better, however in general, all of these rooms are up for a renovation, but at least, this new one was clean)...And our cleaning lady was super sweet, loved her!
Now here is something positive about this resort that no one can complain about no matter what:
1. Beautiful beach
2. Hotel grounds and park areas are well maintained/kept clean
3. Entertainment staff (daily beach activities & night shows)...Those guys and beautiful gals are so engaging/entertaining...They really do everything in their power to make your stay at Catalonia filled with wonderful memories...I will never forget some of the shows I saw, cause I remember laughing like I haven't laughed in a long time - Hul, Hul to a new king of the jungle :)
4. Specialty restaurants (exceptional food)

Room Tip: I loved the fact our room was close to the restaurants/night life and didn't mind the noise...If...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest:

The staff of Catalonia Bávaro Resort thanks you for your kind remarks about your recent stay with us.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests.

We are glad that you enjoyed the room, as well as the hospitality from our staff. We are sorry to hear that some other aspect of our hotel failed to exceed your expectations. We can guarantee you that; we are going to take your constructive comments into consideration for ways of improving.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future, and we can make your memories of us greater!

Kind Regards,

4,175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to punta Cana for our honeymoon on July 30th. We arrived to the property on a bit of an angry note, what you come to dread when flying, the airline lost one of our suitcases. And it was not mine, it was my wife's. Our cab driver dropped us off at the sister hotel royal and after trying to check in they advised us we were in the priveledged section of the Catalonia bavaro. They shuttled us to a private check in office that had a/c, our first chance to cool down in the humid heat and It felt amazing. Able and Miguel checked us in , asking if we wanted something to drink several times. And after explaining the layout of the property they gave us a honeymoon room in villa 1 (closest to the beach). When we arrived to our room, the room was ice cold with the a/c cranked, and overhead fan going. We actually had to turn it down or risk having to put on a sweater. There were fresh flowers everywhere and the one towel folded into a swan behind the tub. From out balcony we could see the Ocean.
The food was really good, there were so many choices at the main buffet, you could have a plain burger to a fresh fish ceviche. The specialty restaurants had a great selection, our favourite was the Japanese and western rodeo steakhouse (they grill an amazing sirloin). The beach was amazing, raked for seaweed all they time. The water was warm and there were plenty of loungers to choose from even after noon ( we like our sleep). Overall this resort blew us away, we had a wonderful honeymoon despite our luggage issues ( it showed up 3 days later). I would recommend this to anyone looking to go to the Dominican. They definitely impressed me with the little details.

• Stayed July 2013
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our Hotel, with our future guests.

It is an honor for us to be part of specials occasions, we are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort.

We really appreciate your kind words and thank you again for staying with us. We take a lot of pride in our hotel and services and it really makes us feel good when we learn that we have been successful in accomplishing our mission of making an unforgettable stay.

We hope to host you soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

On arriving at the hotel in a taxi, my husband and I couldn't believe this was actually our hotel, that's how impressed we were!

This hotel surpassed my expectations. The grounds are immaculate, huge pool area, restaurants have a wide variety of cuisine, friendly staff. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a large tub and two rocking chairs on the porch. Free stocked mini bar too!

We spent most of our time at the beach. Plenty of sun loungers, activities provided such as yoga, aqua aerobics, volleyball and boules. No one was on top of each other, plenty of space. There are also free water based activities such as snorkelling, kayaking and banana boating. The beach is kept clean and also has a bar.

The resort also has a shopping village, spa, golf and tennis facilities and a gym, not to mention a full sized outdoor theatre with performances every night!

We would go back in the morning! I saw that one reviewer gave this resort 1 star....??!! Crazy.

If you are planning a trip to Punta Cana, Catalonia Bavaro should be your accommodation of choice!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We hope to host you soon!

Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed from July 28-Aug 4 2013. Never had been to the Caribbean in Summer before, would go again. Was surprised at how busy it was though. Beach was excellent, lots of palapa's to choose from. You didn't have to get up at 6:00 am to reserve one, although I was at the beach by 7:00. Water was calm and warm. Hotel staff very friendly, you didn't have to tip to get good service although we did, and they remembered. Food was good, especially liked having breakfast and lunch at the beach, much cooler. The buffet at the main building was a little hot and humid to eat some nights. Four restaurants, liked the Japanese one the best. They cooked the food in front of you, very fun. Lots of bars to choose from and entertainment every night, although we did not partake as they started late at night.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 1214, great location- view of the garden in the middle. Equal walking distance from...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Hotel, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff.

We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, is for this motive that our team is always ready to go the extra mile; and it becomes a reward for us every time we read the wonderful reviews.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at this,

Waverly, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stay at many all-inclusives throughout the Caribbean and would stay here again if looking for a good price for a family or maybe couples who want to stay within a budget. We stayed at the Catalonia Royal (right next door) in March which is adults only. As we were taking our grown son and his girlfriend this time, we booked here to save money. As they had never been to Punta Cana, I e-mailed the hotel 2 months prior to our arrival, and again, 3 days before arrival to make a request that our rooms be on the third floor, overlooking the pool, and together. I was quite unhappy that none of these requests were accommodated, though they e-mailed me a response that they would try to accommodate. They told us they were not at full capacity, so this could have been accommodated if they chose to. They offered to move us the next day, but who wants to go through that if you have completely unpacked? The rooms were nice and beds were comfortable. There were no welcome drinks upon check in as is normal, which again, was very disappointing especially since we were bringing first time guests. We were given a room with no lock on the safe, requiring another walk back to the lobby to retrieve one, where I waited in a long line and watched the party of 20-30 people checking in all served their welcome drinks. Not a big deal unless you have people who this is a first for as we did.
The buffet food was adequate and some of the other restaurants were really good. We had eaten at them before when staying at the Catalonia Royal next door as they share some restaurants. The Japanese Steakhouse was very good. The service in the restaurants was not very speedy, but the staff is always busy and so very friendly. They seemed to be short on staff quite a bit.
This resorts strong suit is their staff in my opinion. Always happy, always smiling, even when they are busy, busy, busy.
My only other complaint is the photo shop. Really frustrating that they are not open during the day. The photographers are out during the day taking pictures, but they need to have other staff there for guests to review and purchase photos. On our last night, we went to the photo shop on the way to dinner to purchase the photos we wanted. We waited in line for 45 minutes and the room is tiny and hot with no air conditioning. I honestly don't know how the staff works in there. One of them was sweating profusely. I felt as if I was getting a little sickly from standing so long in line in the heat and the crowd, but I stayed in line so as not to lose my place. Finally after an hour and I had my photos, I went outside to join my family. Though I tried to cool off for a bit, I had to go to the room and missed dinner due to becoming overheated and faint standing in the crowded little hot room for so long. Many people were complaining so the hotel needs to make some changes there.
Given those complaints, every thing else was great. I'd like to commend our housekeeper, Obeliza Yan, who did a great job! We could not have asked more from her. She was fantastic! The rooms are very nice, as I said, as are the balconies. Obeliza kept our room clean and fresh and our mini-frig stocked on schedule. Thank you Obeliza!
Though I read and write a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor, I find many of the reviews written just too picky. We're pretty easy to please. Though you may find food that is not that of a 5 star restaurant, surely you can find something to eat with the wide selection on the buffets.
The complaints I listed above were honest and valid, but did it ruin our trip? Of course not. You have to have an open mind and while being honest, understand where you are going and that things aren't always perfect. We'll be heading back to the Catalonia Royal in the winter to stay on the adult side. It's really nice to be able to go over to the Catalonia Bavaro for dinners or shows if you want, and then head back over to the quiet side with no kids. However, if I were going back and taking my family, I would still stay at the Catalonia Bavaro again with no concerns. I would adjust my expectations and know that our rooms likely won't be together and I would know not to have any pictures taken. If you definitely need your rooms together, I wouldn't stay here. The Catalonia Royal was great to make that accommodation for us and we even had FOUR rooms as opposed to two when we stayed there. We'll go back there next time, but don't count this one out. It's a beautiful property with great staff.

Room Tip: Higher building numbers are closer to the lobby. Example: Building 28 is much closer to the lobby...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize for the incidents you may have encountered during your vacation as they do not represent, in any way, Catalonia Bavaro Resort service standards. We are working closely with our staff to prevent that we cause our guest, any type of discomfort from the moment they check-in, to the moment they part.

We truly appreciate your recommendation, our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests into memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Amazing place, staff so friendly and welcoming.
Arrived after a long flight to be greated by the porters helping unload the laugage, waited to check in and was bought some lovely refreshing cocktail. Check in was simple, porters took bags to our room and we walked there. Room had 2 kingsize beds in as well as seperate seating area,mini fridge and cofffe making facilities. Bathroom had large bath tub and seperate shower,toliet and handbasin. Very roomy. Ceiling fan as well as air conditioning, all working well to keep it nice and cool.
Everything was as advertised on website, only had basic accomadation but on reading some reviews seems better than the privaliged.

Food: Breakfast had fresh cooked bacon, eggs and omellettes as well as pancakes, crepes, french toast. Friendly staff cooking what you wanted. Plenty of breads and cereal as well as fruit and cooked meats. Muffins and banana bread.Fresh juice and coffee and tea.
Lunch: a good mix of foods including fresh carved meats, fresh cooked fish and burgers or hotdogs. Cold buffet and plenty of breads. Deserts amazing.
Dinner:a different theme every night with Fresh carved meats, chicken, contintental dishes, pasta station, cooked meats and salads.Again some yummy deserts all laid out so beautifully sometimes you didnt want to cut them!
Snack bar by the pool serving fresh cooked burgers, hotdogs, chicken and ribs, chips and salad.
Facilities: Main Bar and pool bar ,these can be very busy but staff were efficient.
Beach bar and beach resturant we only used once. Found the beach resturant very busy and compact, usually had to wait to be seated.
Great pool with seperate childrens paddling pool, music and activities going on all day.
Beach was lovely but did have seaweed that was cleaned up by staff on a regular basis.
Hotel run Kids club didnt entertain for english speaking people and as you wear a coloured band relating to what langauge you speak we were always passed by the reps.
Entertainment staff were great though and we took part in many of the activties organised, gaining certificates when we came 3rd in archery and 1st in the horseshoe throw!
Evening entertainment was different every night,but started at 9.30pm.They had a childrens disco at 8.30pm but found not many children participated as parents didnt want to sit around from the disc til the main entertainment. Staff did try but were fighting a loosing battle.
All in all a great relaxing break and we spent most of the days in the pool and chilling at the main area.
Would recommend this hotel and would like to thank sugeil for great smiley service and introducing me to banana mama at the pool bar, Narcisa the front of house at the main buffet resturant, always had a smile and hello, and made sure we were ok.Great way to start the day! And also the lady at the guest service desk who sorted out towels and drinks for our room.
Great service from all staff that worked so very hard.
General advise, take us dollars as this is the main currency used, sunfactor 50 if you dont want to get burnt!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, is for this motive that our team is always ready to go the extra mile; and it becomes a reward for us every time we read the wonderful reviews and mentions of our guests. I will share your feedback with the entire team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at this, your Sanctuary.

PIT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

As the first time to Punta Cana, did not want to go overboard with costs and expectations, so reserved here at a GREAT price. Arrived midday, short taxi ride to resort ($30), and immediate check in with no problems. A golf cart/ bellman took us to our villa (2025) and we quickly settled in.
The resort grounds are beautiful and lush; with trees, flowers, fountains and birds. Some buildings and walkways need paint touchups and small repairs, but nothing that spoils the overall beauty. It's only bad when it rains, as the walkways flood quickly and heavily.

The suite was large enough with a large, quite comfortable, king bed (with only 2 terrible, thin pillows). After awhile we found only a couple discouraging aspects about the room. The shower stall is very tiny with no lip rising at the base and only a thin curtain to contain the spray, but the major problem is that the curtain does not even reach the floor, and flutters even higher with the spray The tiny room was flooded with each shower, with much clean up needed. To avoid a mess at next showertime, we opted for the handheld showerhead in the large soaking tub; but discovered that it did not work at all. You could only use as a tub.
We had a coffeemaker, but no coffee; and the only outlet anywhere was at the bathroom countertop-very inconvenient to move every morning. (we requested, por favore, some coffee; and each day thereafter were provided with ONE single use pack; but at least we had some.)
The only other foible was that the light on the balcony wasn't working. When we looked for the switch to turn it on, we discovered there WAS no switch anywhere; it was hard wired in place. (on the third day the light mysteriously came on. with no way to switch off, I had to unscrew the bulb, which was dangerous as the socket and hot wiring was totally exposed. (oh those crazy tropical electricians...what will they do next?))
The rattan furniture was not comfortable but ok. But all in all the room was fine and comfortable with good air conditioning, tv, plumbing and other lighting.
The room was cleaned everyday, but the fridge restocking was hit or miss. A note with a tip was left for 2 beers and pepsi and water only; but it was never granted. We got maybe orange,1 beer, sprite, 1 water , diet, or whatever.- oh well.
The pool and beach are perfect...nothing else to say.
Food was ok, desserts were fabulous! Coffee to go was nonexistant, as only available is plastic wine glasses to fill (half spills within 3 ft, and is cold within 3 minutes)

The ONLY thing objectionable was having to run the gauntlet of the vendors set up weekends on every route to the main compound. And a polite "No gracias" was NOT satisfactory to them. They harass, hound, follow, and do not relent, until you are well past...EVERY time you must pass through them. For 2 days you do not want to deal with it to eat.

Other than these.....it's nearly paradise with Pina Coladas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

At Catalonia Bavaro Resort we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity to improve your experience, to us; it will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Regards,

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!