“Great time - beautiful scenery” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #52 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
PA
“Great time - beautiful scenery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Catalonia this past June. We were very pleased! I have read some reviews prior to my trip that had me a little concerned about some things, especially the food, however we enjoyed it all!! You have to keep in mind that the food is not going to be exactly what we may be used to at home, but what do you expect when you go to another country! I thoroughly enjoyed all of the different rice and bean options as well as the grilled veggies and assorted fruits! The Hibachi restaurant was our favorite with the buffets coming in second. We went to all specialty restaurants except for the Mexican restaurant and they were all pretty good! Especially considering the price we paid! We definitely got our money's worth.

The drinks were good. We do think that they may water down some of their clear liquors (almost positive) but choose Barceló rum - their featured rum - and you'll get a good drink! It's a dark rum and delicious. The theater is named after him!

Speaking of the theater, they put on good shows every night. We went to all but one during our 7 nights there and they were entertaining. We especially liked the Broadway themed night.

Our room was closer to the lobby than the beach so wifi worked great for us in our room. I did talk to others though who were closer to the pool and beach and found that the wifi didn't work for them in their rooms though. But to be honest, even though I had wifi, I spent very little time utilizing it because I'd much rather be enjoying the magnificent views, scenery, and everything else Punta Cana had to offer. I went to get away... take vacation... :)

I recommend this place for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know about your stay with us. Thank you very much for your comments. We were pleased providing you an excellent service and to know that you liked much.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.

Thank you for choosing us!

Yours Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was my first all inclusive resort stay. After landing, it took a while to get your tourism card and stamp in your passport. Luckily the ride from the airport to the resort was only 20 mins. Check-in is simple and we were transported to our rooms near the pool. The only issue we had with our room was that the wifi was not working. We booked this resort because wifi was complimentary but we were very disappointed. We called each day and was told IT would look into it but nothing changed until a power outage. Miraculously, the wifi worked for the day but then stopped once again. There is wifi that is spotty around the resort but the most reliable spot is the lobby.

Now to the important stuff: food!
The restaurants are not worth the wait except the steakhouse.
The japanese restaurant is hibachi food and if you want a show from the chef, you'll only get some banging. We actually thought we would be eating sushi here..
The italian restaurant is nice and air conditioned but the wait for the food was too long. If you want pasta in no time, you might as well go to the buffet.
The steakhouse was surprisingly good and fast. This is the only place you'll get steak and onion rings!

The buffet has a large variety of food but one consistency: everything is salty! But what did you expect from a buffet. The snack bar consisted of rotisserie chicken, bbq rib bites, french fries and pizza. Definitely go here if you need a snack . Do not go to the crepe place as it is not a real crepe. The ice cream store next to it is NOT INCLUDED so you'll have to pay money for some ice cream not in the buffet area.

All inclusive alcoholic drinks is a plus with many different options. Not the best liquor but still a good thing.

The beach was fairly clean and not too crowded. Except the chairs under huts was usually taken. The beach on the adult side is definitely smaller but has better chairs.

Overall, you get what you pay for. Just fix the wifi and the food and then you'll be the best resort in Punta Cana

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lobby have better wifi connection
Richardson, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying I travel to a lot these all-inclusive type hotels in Mexico. I would say this one is fair to average.

1st The Beach:

Positives: There were no vendors other than the hotel staff trying to sell excursions. The water is crystal clear. The beach was clean. Plenty of chairs. They have kayaks and snorkeling equipment you can use. For the snorkeling equipment you have to leave a $20 deposit in cash to use for one hour. You get the deposit back when you return the snorkel.

Negatives: No waves at all. (We prefer waves) There is a reef about 400 yards off shore that blocks all of the waves. (Which would be huge. See excursions below). Both of the beach bars close at 5:00pm. There is a lot of sea grass. There are some clear places that they have roped off for you to swim in but for the most part the water is all sea grass. They do, however, clean the beach.

2nd The Rooms:

Positives: Beds and pillows were more comfortable than reviews. Or at least ours were.

Negatives: No ice machines. You either have to go to a bar or get room service. Which is included but takes a little while. If you are from the US the one electrical outlet in the room does not fit our 3 pronged plugs. (You can buy an adapter in the hotel). The AC was terrible in our room. It stayed around 80. The outside temp was 87. If you want to be closer to the beach get a privileged room. To my knowledge none of the rooms have a full ocean view. We were on the very first row and 3rd floor. There are partial views but the buildings are only 3 stories and the palm trees block your view of the ocean. That is about the only advantage to privileged rooms that we noticed. Many of the similar upgrades at other hotels are considerably better.

3rd Food and drinks:

No Positives.

Negatives: Most all of the food is awful. Bring snacks from home. As far as drinks go, they have Presidente beer which was not very good at first but became tolerable. The hard liquor was only their domestic which was not good to me either. I brought a plastic bottle of booze from home and drank that most of the time.

4th Internet. Spotty at best. You need to be very close to the privileged center for it to work. Don’t count on it to work in your room consistently.

5th Excursions: You can save a lot of money by walking down the beach to the market of vendors. It is about 300 yards down the beach from the hotel. You can’t miss it. There are about 15-20 open market shops. One of the shop owners will come get you when you walk up. They take turns on the customers that walk up. We asked about excursions and they had much cheaper prices than the hotel. They even have they same brochures. It seems a bit shady at first but it all worked out with no complaints. We chartered a private deep sea fishing boat for 5 people with food and drinks included for $500, which included transportation to the boat. FYI-the waves are HUGE past the reef. Take Dramamine and anything else you can think of to prevent motion/sea sickness. 2 of the 5 of us were very sick. I was not one of those and we had a great time.

6th Tips.

Bring some food and liquor from home to keep in your room. Take empty waters with the caps from your hotel room and ask the bartenders to fill them with beer for the beach. They are bigger than the all-inclusive cups and they won’t spill or have ocean water splashed into them. Be patient. This is only a 2 star resort by US standards, but I assume since you are reading this you only will be paying a 2 star price like we did.

Would I go back? No. But I prefer big waves.

Room Tip: Get the privileged room for a few dollars more. It is closer to the beach. That is the only benefit...
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my first time in the dominican republic and it is safe to say I had an absolutely amazing time! This has to be by far the best holiday I have ever been on. The staff at the hotel are all very friendly and welcoming! Everyone works extremely hard in order to make you feel special!.... This has to be highly commended as working 14 hours a day cannot be easy for anyone!...yet they all still carry on smiling!... The hotel itself is in a beautiful location, the grounds are immaculate with palm trees everywhere, flamingos, ducks, iguanas... frogs...! There is a big variety of choice for food, with waitors and waitresses attending to you at all times! The bedrooms are OK!. The resort is HUGE! There is always things to do such as pool activites- water aerobics, beach aerobics, learning to dance macchatta, salsa, merrengue, reggaeton!... In addtion, the water sports activities such as catamaran sailing, kayaking and speed boating are also very good!

The thing that made the holiday so memorable for me was getting to know all the staff.... big thank you to all the kitchen staff, bar staff, entertainers, photographers..! Especially Chocolate, Big Mumma, 50 Cent, Jaime &Co!... another big thank you to all the photographers for making me feel very welcome... Michele, Andy, Eliana, Velia &William.

I will definately be returning! with 2 English friends I made whilst at the resort!... First class entertainment. See you soon Catalonia!

From Mary ('ENGLAND')

Room Tip: you hardly spend any time in the room.... what does it matter?!
Poole, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Catalonia Bavaro June 11th - June 26th and enjoyed it but i have stayed at better places. The Gardens are the hotel's best feature (possibly the best i have see) full of wildlife and all different palms and flowers focused around a huge pond in the centre of the resort. The Pool is very big with a fountain and a Jacuzzi in the middle, no good if you want to do laps, but it is very nice. The swim up bar is a little bit small sometimes making it difficult to get a drink but you can always hop out and go to the other side out of the water and get a drink there. The Beach is beautiful with plenty of chairs and shade if you need it and there is another bar tucked a little further along the beach which is always pretty quiet. There are two hob cats and a few kayaks that you can rent out, but if your not really a confident sailor i wouldnt go on your own as the watersports guys pay litteraly no attention to the people on the water. The water is also very shallow so expect to run aground a few times but it was a lot of fun once the wind had picked right up. For breakfas and lunch you can either go to the main buffet in the lobby or there is a smaller buffet resteraunt down on the beach, as well as a snack bar by the pool that is supposedly opened 24 hours but it didnt seem to be to me. Then its just the bufett by the lobby for the evening plus you can go to one of the themed resteraunts twice a week. The steakhouse is probably the best we also went to the italian which was ok but not amazing. Generally there is a lot of food to choose from and you will always find something that you like but i think they have gone for quantity rather than quality which also means they struggle to keep things very hot or cold so everything is kinda luke warm. Certainly not terrible by any means but could be better. The entertainment ,as often is the case in these places, is pretty awful but as long as you keep the Pina Coladas coming the jokes will get funnier and the dancing will get better. IF THERE IS ONE THING TO TAKE FROM THIS, DO NOT TALK TO THE GUYS SELLING THE TOURS!!!. They will not leave you alone for the rest of the holiday with some wanting to befriend you just so u will go and get them food from the snack bar. I know they are just trying to earn a living but they do get on your nerves after a few days. Also it is not a place to go for a quiet weekend. from friday afternoon to sunday afternoon the entire resort is invaded by locals most of which seem to have hundreds of kids which they let loose on the pool. We didnt have any problems with them (apart from the noise) but id imagine they could be very annoying to some people.
I didnt have any problems with the service, but unless your a blonde 10 stone 20 year old girl they wont go out of their way for you.
I wouldnt try and put anyone off going to this place because it is a very nice clean and beautiful resort but there are just a few things that they could maybe address to make it into a fantastic resort.

If you have any questions contact me on twitter @doeboy1 or on facebook www.facebook.com/steve.doe1

Birmingham, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My family and my best friend and family stayed here from June 2 - June 9. My husband and I have 4 kids ages 16, 11, 10 and 10 and the other family has kids ages 15 and 8. Arriving to Punta Cana was interesting upon walking out of the plane into the tiki hut airport! Make sure you are ready to sweat a bit -- it's hot down there! The airport isn't what you are used to if you are anything like me. You cannot get lost, though! We used Funjet taxi service. They were great!

We arrived mid-afternoon at the resort and had no issues checking in. The front desk were friendly and very helpful as well as spoke English very well so we had no language barrier issues checking in or out. We asked to be put all together in 4 rooms close together (I believe we also had our agent email ahead and ask) and they did just that. We stayed in building 26 right next to the Iguanario. We did not upgrade to privileged and were absolutely fine with the service we received. While there were minor issues here and there in the rooms, none were enough for us to have a complaint about. We called the desk -- bam -- it was corrected. I do agree with the "bring your own pillow" comments previously made as I would have missed my fluffy pillow. My husband did not care and was fine with his pillow.

The staff all over the resort are THE most friendly people you'll meet! We always left a tip for our servers, maids, bartenders, etc. They work so very hard and totally deserve it!

Our first night we ate at the lobby buffet and I have to say it's one of the largest buffets I have ever personally been to. Nobody can go hungry there! There is something for everyone! They label everything in 5 different languages which is much needed and appreciated. The pasta bar is great! You pick out your toppings, sauce and pasta (you just put the toppings on a plate and point to the rest) and they cook it quickly in front of you. The pasta was my favorite food there. :) Side note. *Bring Tums! It is easy to eat too much when you are curious to try a bit of everything!

I didn't think I would be as impressed with the shows as I was. The nightly shows were INCREDIBLE! Get there early if you would like drinks and get a table in the back because a waitress from the lobby bar will be back and forth taking orders. Our kids loved the "mini-disco" which was right before the show each night. They would get on stage and dance. My girls still drive me nuts with the "chocco-latte" song/dance. :) The Tropical Show was our first one and it was sooooooo good! Those dancers are incredibly talented! The next night was the 70's/Disco Fever show which was incredible as well. We got to where we looked forward to the shows each night! Tuesday night beach party -- mucho fun -- but beware some of it once it gets going (and fun) can get somewhat inappropriate for kids. It was definitely the most fun and interactive show I saw. The circus show - impressive. The Michael Jackson show -- excellent! I missed one of the shows due to the fact that I had to go to the room after eating too much at the buffet and take tums but I was told it was another interactive show and extremely funny! "Spaghetti," "Mickey Mouse," "Big Mama" and the rest of the animation team open and close the shows and make everyone laugh in between.

Restaurant breakdown: Italian. Ehh. The spaghetti has shrimp in it instead of beef. The lasagna was okay. They didn't have the Salmon, which I've read was excellent, so I was disappointed. They keep your wine glass full. But the food was not any of our favorite. Everyone agreed on that and half of our group left there and went to the buffet.

Mexican: In my opinion, it was delicious! Our kids ordered burritos and they were too spicy for them. Besides that I think we all liked this place, but some of us had a few random tummy issues afterward. I think if it's food you aren't used to, that's going to happen. I liked my meal there!

Japanese: Very good. Everyone liked it. Entertaining. I thought the sushi was yummy! Unfortunately I ate too much of it (those who didn't want theirs - I took it lol!) and had to take tums again. :)

Steakhouse: Very, very good! I had the Angus Burger and it was delicious!!! Probably my favorite meal. The steaks are thin, but our husbands loved them. I think the only complaint was that the crab cakes were more like a crab dip shaped into a ball, so not what we expected. But I ate those too and liked them!

Breakfast: While the lobby buffet had a larger buffet I liked the buffet on the beach the best. It was less crowded and easier to keep the food stocked. The omelete guy -- do it!!! Same as the pasta bar. You put what you want on a plate, hand it to him, and he cooks it up for you. Delicious.

Lunch: We always ate lunch at the snack bar by the pool. (FYI there are BATHROOMS behind the snack bar - something I appreciated knowing when at the pool) Again, something everyone would eat. Pizza (some of it was odd -- like tuna or corn!), nachos, fries, cheese, ribs, burgers, hot dogs, and drinks and Presidente (beer) on tap!

The pool/pool bar: This was one of my favorite things about the resort. The bartenders were great! I tipped them a few dollars daily because with my kids wanting virgin pina colodas I knew I was trouble. LOL! Giselle was out there every day! She would call out to me "Amy!!!" and I'd say "Giselle!!!!" Before that she knew me as "pina coloda mucho rum" =D I miss those awesome people! If you want a shaded spot, better lay a towel out before breakfast! This also goes for the beach!

The beach: BEAUTIFUL. Plenty of chairs, but again, reserve early if you want shade. DO NOT trust ANYONE on the beach who is not a hotel employee. If their shirt doesn't say "HC" on it - don't trust them. Do not accidentally lay your wedding rings down to put sunscreen on children, accidentally fling them in the sand and then ask the catamaran guys if they know someone with a metal detector. They are NOT HC employees and they will call an outsider who will do his best to rip you off. I learned the hard way but did get my rings back without being ripped off. The language barrier was an issue - the catamaran guys didn't disclose the guy with a metal detector was NOT an HC employee and would want $$$ because we did not understand one another well enough. I know they meant well but it almost got ugly. If you have an issue, go to the front desk and talk to an HC employee. :) Lesson learned.

There are two beach markets off the property. If you are facing the water and walk left, you'll see one, along with a guy who climbs a tree and brings you down a coconut and cracks it open! Two for $5! Very cool! Small shop there - you MUST barter! Tell them what you will give them and bargain from there. They will laugh at you at first. :) Facing the ocen walking down the beach to your right you'll find an even cooler market. Several stores! "Jonathan" gave me shots of mamajuana as I shopped and asked if I would bring my family back before 5 when they closed. I brought them back. This one was cool! But again, be CAREFUL and don't trust anyone who isn't a HC employee. The shops off site are okay but the beach shops are the ones where you will get a bargain. The resort has a "Dominican Night" and they have vendors near the lobby. We bought nothing from them. They don't have the same deals we got on the beach. They will annoy you as well as people trying to sell you excursions but they will eventually leave you alone after you tell them all "no thanks" with a smile.

Bring plenty of $1 bills (American is fine!) and $5 bills for tipping! They are quite thankful when you tip them. Although you don't have to, they work so hard! We were there for 7 nights and saw the same employees every day from the time we went to breakfast to the time we left the shows late at night. They don't stop! The maid hugged my little girls one morning. :) Such kind and wonderful people.

The golf course -- our husbands weren't too impressed. While it's beautiful, the 18 hole course is miniature, which in the end they didn't mind because it was too hot to play for long. The one thing they complained about was lugging their golf clubs all the way from the room to the golf course, so prepare for that. They received the golf cart they paid $25 for once they got up there. You may want to rent if you are only going to play once. Sometimes oversized luggage gets lost at the airport and you have to pay the fees anyway! (Our golf clubs both arrived the day after we did, lol!)

The activities for the kids -- archery and ring toss -- they LOVED them and did this every day! If you win, you get a medal at the show. :) All three of my little ones won at least once. We never tried the kids club, though it looked nice from the outside. There was already plenty for them to enjoy.

The bars - Lobby bar mixed the best drinks! The pool bar was great! It was my favorite. The Japanese bar was nice. The beach bar...ehhh. Not my favorite. It was okay!

The grounds are absolutely beautiful! We had a wonderful experience here. I don't understand why I've read so many negative reviews. I've read a lot about theft, and you have to be careful wherever you go. We had no problems but I also did not take any expensive jewelry besides the wedding rings on my finger, and I was later told it's best when leaving the country to take a CZ an leave the real ones at home! I kept my cash in envelopes in a binder under some clothes (discreet) in the room which was never an issue. While I would go back there, I think my family is interested in exploring different countries first.

One last thing. Keep in mind what you read, but don't take any seriously negative comments/reviews to heart. If you are kind to everyone, they WILL be kind to you! If you are smart about things, (unlike myself, taking off my wedding rings to put lotion on the kids) and you keep up with your belongings well, you have nothing to worry about! Learn a little Spanish. It's appreciated and actually a lot of fun even having short conversations with those of a different nationality!

To the staff and animation team at HC - Mucho gracias! You all are wonderful and so much fun! We miss you all! Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Closer to the middle means less walking at one time, but you're going to be walking a lot anyway...
Santa Clarita, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Although the club is beautiful and one of the best we've ever visited, theft is a HUGE problem. When we were at dinner, an employee came in our room to fix a leaky A/C (all week long it leaked without being fixed), walk through to our adjoining room without permission, searched through all of our belongings and found the safe key hid in a jacket pocket. Then he broke into the safe, took 1 ipod, 2 iPADS, 3 iphones and my daughters 3 week old engagement ring worth thousands of dollars. Over $10,000.00 in value gone forever. The hotel told us to report it as a loss, not a theft. When at the police station we accused no one but only gave all the observed information, the police put 2 and 2 together and concluded that the most likely suspect was the maintenance man. The electronic key cards showed that he entered both our room and the other room above us where that family also experienced a theft as there A/C was leaking and through to our ceiling. They had also called for maintenance. Though the man was only arrested for several days he was not convicted as they found no articles. The rest of our stay was a nightmare of phone calls, blocking phones, asking the hotel for help, being suspected as suspects ourselves and false accusing employees. The hotel knows that there employee and they were responsible and offered us a "politically generous return to their resort" within the next year - an offer that would be impossible to accept for several reasons. Who can get such time off? Upon returning there is a possibility, according to Dominican law that we could be arrested on the count of "false accusation". And how can we return to a place where such financial and emotional trauma occurred. My daughter just "lost" her only engagement ring from a proposal 3 weeks before. They have since decided to just get a simple ring, yet I know every time she looks at it she will remember the great love that her fiancee worked several months of minimum wage at another hotel to earn the ring that is somewhere now in the Dominican Republic. By the way, we talked to about 7-8 other couples who had watches, phones and other belongings snatched off of their night stands. The hotel calls them losses and assumes that most of the people just lost them. They are quite afraid to admit that they have a HUGE theft problem as this would look bad to their clients. They didn't even warn us that we should keep the key on us when we arrived. This should be policy or they need to get keypad safes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!