“Nice resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #51 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Lockport, Illinois
“Nice resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at this resort the first week of November. The resort was OK. The food was avarege but we always found something that we realy liked. The personel was very helpfull. The rooms were OK. Some people complained that there was no hot water but actually there was water all the time you just had to know hom to turn the nob. The entertainment was good but not as good as the other Catalonia resort in Riviera Maya that I have visited last year. Actually I liked the entertainment at the other hotel so much, that I only chose this hotel hoping for the same thing because it is the chain of hotels. The guests of the resort were very diverse except that almost 50% of the guests were Russian. I'm not saying this as a bad thing but that it was a nice surprise. So if you like to hang out with a diverse crowd, this hotel is for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

4,176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Polish first
Newquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having now visited 9 resorts in the D/R this resort was the most dissapointing.On entering our room a dead cockroach on its back greeted us begging the question when the last time our room was checked pre our arrival.Linen that has not been white since its birth,pillows hard as nails and the size of a table mat on a large bed didnt look very inviting,holes in bath towels that were not changed for the first 5 days and the most concerning was to see a young man who had clearly drank more than he could hold fell asleep on a sun bed and vomited a number of times when the pool glass collector passed i pointed this out to him and expressed my concerns for his health and our comfort he said he would sort it out and 4hrs later he was still there no sign of security.
Overall not a place I would EVER return to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paducah, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

You really do get what you pay for at Catalonia Punta Cana; a relatively affordable family vacation at a fixed price with no surprises. Great for families or couples. We had 2 rooms (same floor, next to each other was no problem) and upgraded to the "priviledged" section putting us closest to the beach. Had breakfast and lunch at the priviledged buffet (same food, just closer to rooms) and walked to the front of the resort for dinner at the themed restaurants and nightly show.

The resort is showing it's age in places but was clean and secure. The service was excellent and any problems in the room were quickly attended to. Some safety concern over the electrical wiring in the room. The bedside lamps, clock, and TV are all "hard-wired" into an electrical outlet without insulators or electrical tape. Be aware, if you need bedside electrical outlets, there are none; take your own extension cord. The maintenance crew were very nice to "make" us an extension cord that we ran to the bathroom.

The AC in one of the rooms did not cool or reduce the humidity as well as the other but the celing fan made up for it. Just go to the beach for a breeze! The grounds are mature and very well maintained; plenty of lighting and chairs on the beach. No need to "save" shaded chairs. The staff at the Dive Shop were professional and we enjoyed several dives and excursions with them. The food was average but with plenty of selection; the Italian restaurant was the best. Bar service was okay but the "Dominican" brand vodka is awful; stick with rum or tequila. Our maids were the very best, leaving flowers and special items each day. Tip them well the first day; I took samples of hand lotion, Tylenol, soaps and shampoo ect. to leave with a note of "Gracias" each morning.

Room Tip: They should offer but you can ask to see the room before you commit to upgrading to "priviledge...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went down to Punta Cana with a large group of family and friends. I paid a good price for a one week all-inclusive stay and had a great time. This was my first time to the Dominican Republic so I didn't really know what to expect.

Pros:
- In general, most of the resort's staff were friendly and approachable.
- Large, clean rooms.
- Large swimming pool.
- Nice swim-up bar
- Clean bathrooms.
- The on-resort club was lively most nights.
- Large beach with plenty of beach chairs.
- Plenty of palm trees and huts on beach provided lots of shade and great photo ops.
- Lots of a la carte options. Japanese was my favourite.
- Good pizza.
- Man-made ponds have plenty of animals to look at and photograph (birds, fish, turtles, frogs, etc.)

Cons:
- Swimming pool's circulation/filtration system seems to function poorly in deeper areas of the pool. Don't be surprised to find some floating debris in the middle (perhaps a bandaid or two!)
- American a la carte was so-so
- Nightly shows were sub-par when compared to Cuba's.
- Burgers at the pool bar weren't good.
- No bidets in bathrooms (I was surprised since this hotel has a lot of European vacationers)
- Swimming at the beach was disappointing. It had a considerable amount of vegetation floating around. Water was a little turbid. Some parts near shore were rocky and sharp. Luckily, you can find clearer water if you don't mind walking for 10 minutes or so.
- No 24 hr bar.
- Close to airport

General tips and recommendations
- If you're doing excursions sold by resort staff don't pay "retail price", you can negotiate.
- Having only been to Cuba before Dominican, I had high hopes for the food. Although the selection here was better, the quality wasn't as good as I expected. So if you don't have high expectations you will be fine. After a few meals, you will find what you like and you will generally stick to it.
- The resort's convenience store is ridiculously overpriced. So don't forget any necessities like sunscreen. I know hotels can be pricey but charging $29 USD for a small bottle of 60 SPF sunscreen is ridiculous. Luckily, my family/friends brought enough sunscreen to share.
- The resort is large and there is plenty to see/do. Walking to and from places will take time. If you are in decent physical shape, you don't have to worry.
- Lots of mosquitoes at evening and night time are a nuisance. Bring bug spray with you if you are particularly sensitive to insect bites.
- Helps to know some Spanish; not all resort staff speak English that well.
- When lobby bar closes at midnight, you can go to the disco for a few more drinks before it closes at 2 am. The only other option after that is self-serve beer at the 24hr snack bar beside the pool.
- This hotel seems fairly isolated from other attractions like shops, excursions/activities, clubs, etc.

Overall, I would recommend you don't go to this resort with high expectations and you will be just fine. I would consider coming back again after I have seen what some other resorts in the Dominican Republic have to offer. 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a digital keypad for safe. Mine had the conventional lock and key style. I was t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Folsom, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

we had to call every night to get towels, we asked for wash cloths but they never arrived, the pillows are hard, the room was dated. The lamps in the corner did not work it was always dark in the room,Our rep Danny from fun jet never called us back, thank God for the nice girl at the front desk Jennifer Coneierge, she did all of Dannys work she got us our flight back home to Philadelphia, we had to book another night due to the Hurricane Sandy.We will not go back here. they had room service but you had to pay extra for it, only one resturant was opened , besides the buffett, the food was not that good. The items that are sold in the stores were priced on the high side. the shows were good and all the kids did a fine job on the stage. the kid on the beach, trainee Edwin :) was a good kid, He went out of his way to get us a drink.

Room Tip: bring your own pillow, bring your own wash clothes, and Q tips
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

So, when I was planning my wedding, I knew that I wanted to do a destination wedding and combine the time with our honeymoon. When this hotel came up with our travel agent, we thought it would be a good fit for us and our guests based on the location and cost. We read through literally hundreds of reviews and realized that sometimes, you get what you give. Once I saw the reviews that focused on the positives of the resort, I knew that this might not be a five star hotel, but the food would be good, the people were friendly and the beach would be amazing.

Working with the Wedding Co-Ordinators, Rosa Rodriguez and Minerva was a great experience. She assisted with our stay and our 40 guests and was even able to remember most of their names which was an added touch. She was able to put together all the information we provided and turn it into a plan. Once we arrived, the staff was extremely friendly and we were well taken care of with an immediate upgrade to the Priveleged Suite. Our room was literally steps to the beach and woke up to the view of the beach every morning and a beautiful sunset every evening.

Some of the pros and cons were that the resort is so big that if you are located near the beach it is a good walk to the main dining hall. However, this is a benefit because you don't have to feel guilty about all the delicious food that you eat (or over eat) for each meal. Also, the rooms could do with a little updating but nothing that was a trip spoiler, truth be told, we were hardly in our rooms anyway.

Once we picked the actual location for the ceremony I felt even more at ease because it was perfect, private and shaded. The cocktail hour was fun and the reception hall was decorated perfectly. The food was delicious and the open bar was absolutely fantastic. Rosa added so many different touches that made the experience delightful. Small deserts were on the guest book table, the lighting in the hall, we also added a lesson of Meringue to the reception which was so much fun. The package also included a romantic dinner which was one of my favorite moments. We had a romantic four course dinner on the beach at night. The weather was perfect and Wander Porquin was our server. The dinner was the day after the wedding which was perfect to unwind with my new husband and go over the highlights of the day before.

Although all the staff was amazing, friendly and hospitable, Rosa, Minerva and Wander were the most memorable and we will never forget them or the experience and memory that they gave us.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are near the beach. The view is great and you can wake up to have a morning swim.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
York PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

After reading through the reviews, and actually staying here, I'm not sure if I just tolerate things better than others, or the people reviewing this property are idiots.

The first compalint you read about this resort is the food. Being an American, and coming to this resort, the food in no way is as good as we get in the States. Where else in the world is food as good as it in the States anyway? If you are a picky eater, do not go to this resort. The food is average at best. I am not a picky person, and realized my surroundings. I did not complain about the food, but I did not praise it. The food is abundant though and you will not be hungry. Good food items: pizza by the pool, the seafood in either buffet, Japanese restaurant (most like home) breakfast in the buffet area i.e. crepes, donuts, omelettes. And even thought the steak in the Steahouse are poor quality, I appreciated the grilled flavor.

Other major comaplint is the seaweed on the beach. and yes, ther is a lot. There are patches of the water that are clear though and great for hanging out and snorkeling. They do have resort workers everywhere cleaning it up, most of the time. beach is big, plenty of chairs to sit in. BEWARE: topless sunbathing is piopular here. Didn't bother me too much, but most of us are not use to that.

Resort is beautiful, well maintained. Some areas of the resort do need an upgrade, but I never once saw anywhere that made me unhappy. Bar tenders all over the resort are great. Our room was good, A/C worked all the time, almost too well, sun glasses would fog up everytime we came out of the room. Shower is a bit small, but not worth a complaint. PILLOWS WERE NOT LUMPY! But we were in the Privileged section. Never orderd room service. Never had a problem anywhere on the resort with service at all. Onyl time service was a bit slow was the buffet area in the main lobby. They would not awlays bring you a drink or napkin when you sat down with food. So we would get up, walk the 20 ft back to the buffet and get what we needed, or we would ask a worker, and they brought it over quickly.

The resort is big. Unless you are disabled or elderly, you should not have a problem walking around it though. It is not big enough to be a burden.

Would I come back to this resort? Probably not. Would I come back with a group of people who wanted a good expericence for the money they are spending? Yes.

Do not come here if you want peace and quite all week. Stay on the adults only side called the Royal Catalonia Bavaro. This is an upbeat resort with something going on all the time.

Giving this a 3 out of 5 is a bit low, but I can't give it a 4 out of 5.

Room Tip: Purchase the Privileged. Do dinner on the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to us about your holiday experience at Catalonia Bávaro Resort. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced and assure you that we are anxious to retain you as a satisfied customer.

All the comments you have sent us about customer service are more than helpful, and we appreciate the feedback we received from our valuable guests.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.

Thank you for choosing us!

Yours Sincerely,

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!