“Average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

You added Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas De Bavaro | Cabeza de Toro, Punta Cana 2062, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #51 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Portugal - Norte
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Most positive aspects:
-Beautiful beach space, with the palm trees reaching the sea
-Well treated and wide gardens
-"Jacuzzi" like romantic circular tube in all bathrooms (not jacuzzi though!)
-Hammock in balcony
-Very nice show-cooking Japanese tematic restaurant
-The breakfast is nice, specially the natural juices
-The pizza by the pool
-The night shows, specially mister catalonia (very fun) and michael jackson tribute

Most negative aspects:
-Very poor professional employes (except most of the ones from the main restaurant and from the japanese bar) for a self proclaimed 5 stars hotel, in particular in the reception.
We booked for 14 nights (couple) and we got an old small room (comparing to the other of our single friend) with an extra bed on it tooking about 1/4 of the room space!!! The reception guy didnt care at all...we were only changed in the next day, and not even a simple excuse was given.
-When you arrive by night a strange "check-in" is made quickly in the middle of the airpoty parking lot, not very pleasant at all.
-In general poor mantained rooms, needing a renovation. Our first room had an old air-conditioning device with was absolutelly noisiy, impossible to sleep with it turned on.
-We were there for 2 weaks and the bed was not changed at all. The bathroom towels were not also always replaced when they were taken for wash. The pillows are TERRIBLE!!! We asked for extra 2, and they were the same - lumpy and old (i could say they were the best pillows in any hotel/hostel I have been to).
-The beach towels are not washed!!! Maybe they are machine dried (beacause they are hot when you get them), but completely salty everyday!!!
-In the main restaurant, although there is a lot of diversity, the food quality, specially the meat, is not very good in general.
-The beach restaurant is not very good

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

It was my first time going to Dominican Republic with my friend so we were both really excited to get away from the city for a week. We booked through travelocity for a decent price - affordable for students in desperate need for a vacation. The check-in was smooth and the staff were friendly, however, I was disappointed that no one even tried to help us carry our luggage. I had to carry all of my stuff all the way to the far side of the resort (near the beach).

Our room was really nice and cozy. The TV was really old, but it had pretty good channels. My friend and I watched a lot of movies as well. We had a little patio outside with a hammock which was nice, but one time we saw a cockroach and we never went there again. I also liked how our cleaning lady Maria cleaned our room everyday. I liked how she did something new with the towel design everyday.

For the first few days, we stayed at the beach and the pool mostly. The Animacion entertainment team invited us to play games with them and dance at the beach. My team won so we got a little certificate and got to stand on stage on the awards night. We met a couple of people that were mostly from Europe. However, I found that after 3 days, there really isn't that much to do. We got really bored and sick of the beach/pool after a few days. It was a good thing that we both decided to do excursions. My friend and I went to the Safari and the one with Sharks & Stingrays. The excursions were really worth it. They made my trip from good to super awesome! Don't book right away though, try to shop and around for good deals.

I found that most people from the resort are very hospitable. They were all nice and friendly. However, I don't like how some people were all up in your face trying to sell you something. I know they desperately need to make sales but as a person who doesn't like to say no, we were actually trying to avoid a certain area because we know that the person selling is waiting for us.

The food was okay. The breakfast bar near the beach isn't really good - the food was really bland. The bigger buffet place was better and there were more selections. I didn't like how there were so many birds inside just wanting to eat your food. But the staff was really friendly and helpful. I love how hospitable DR people are. The a la cartes were much better though - we actually dressed up for it although they weren't that fancy. I really liked Japanese restaurant in terms of experience. It was fun to watch the guy cook your dinner in front of you. If I were to pick, I liked the Mariachi restaurant the best in terms of food.

The drinks! To be honest, I am not much of a drinker. I like drinking shots but not mixed drinks. But I found the drinks that the bar offered was pretty good! I especially LOVE mama juana. It was my first time trying it and it automatically became my favorite. That was the only time that I was thankful that we had unlimited drinks.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort but I don't think I would want to come back again soon just because I would like to try other resorts or other Caribbean countries. It was definitely an awesome experience.

Room Tip: It's really a trade-off. If you want to be close to beach and pool, it's far from the lobby...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cataloniabav, General Manager at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Appreciated Client:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent holiday experience at Catalonia Bavaro Resort. We were pleased providing you an excellent service and to know that you liked much.

We inform them that we have a fumigation system throughout the hotel, unfortunately we are in a tropical area and to our system can sometimes find this kind of insect.

We will be delighted if you give us another chance by counting again with their presence in our Catalonia Hotels, so that we may prove that 100% Guest’s satisfaction is our main goal.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.

Thank you for choosing us!

Yours Sincerely,
The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

It looks beautiful with all the nice gardens.The pool is big and clean.The DR are know for their kindness and other years in other hotels on the DR we we're greeted the whole day by the staff with ''hola''.He're it's not the case.The entertainmentteam does the same thing every day and not the whole day so we saw them having a lot of free time.They using the same music from 20 years ago over and over again,it's was very anoying!They have music from now,but they don't play it.I understand that they played music at the pool,but so loud at the beach was not necessary.At the beach i don't want to hear music period.The service at the pool restaurant at the Privileged was very good and there was an youngman who knew exactly how it works.At the mainbuffet they can learn from him.It was never busy in the Privileged area,but too many times they didn't notice us, so we had to get the drinks ourselves!We've waved our hands, but no one notice us.At one of our last day an waiter found it more important to pay attention at an table and talked too long to those guests.He probably got many tips from them and was trying to get more.That day there were only 3 tables occupied.Many times there were no glasses and guests had to wait until they have washed.Ik confronted the restaurantmanager (this was an white man, wich are rare there),but he careless and found it more important to have his lunchbreak because he had an plate with food in his hands.I told him that the only solution was just to buy new glasses.At the swim up bar they was the same problem.The stupid thing was that they closed at 5.00 pm and the pool closed at 6.30,that's so stupid and doesn't make any sense at all!Many times we we're after 5.00 in the pool and for drinks we had to get out and go to the bar behind the swim up bar.The glassproblem is totally unacceptable for an 5* resort!The fact that very little staff speaks english too!I think they have to ask from staff before they hire them that they required them to speak english and if not they must not hire them.The ala carte goes way to fast as in most all in resorts.My fried food was cold, i had a few bites, i sended it back and they fried it again even with the bites out of it!A few times there we're no number of towels as they had to be and 1 time we didn't have one at all!We called 3 times in 2 days for an extra sheet and didn't got it.We we're tired of calling and after 3 days we finally we got it!With the calling they hang up on us many times, so rude.The airco wasn't working 1 day, we called and they came very quick.A few days later it happened again and they didn't came at all.The staff only respond on positive reviews and not on bad ones,because they know the customer is right,but they don't know how they can solve the problems.He're are some suggestions.....ORDER/BUY GLASSES, LEARN THE STAFF TO SPEAK ENGLISH AND CLOSE THE SWIM UP BAR ONLY WHEN THE POOL IS CLOSING,DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE BIRDS IN THE EATING AREA OF THE BUFFETRESTAURANT AND MAYBE ONE OF THE WORSE THING IS THAT GUESTS HAVE TO CARRY THEIR LUGGAGE TO AND BACK FROM THEIR ROOM!That is totally unacceptabled for an hotel that give themselve 5 stars, it we're 3 maybe 3,5!We'e got an room at the Privileged area for free,but it is not worth it!The shower in the room is way too small and should not got together with the toilet.We will not be back!

Room Tip: Close to the pool and not near the lobby as the music can be loud if you want to go to bed early.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, General Manager at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest:

First of all thank you for the time spent in your comments.

We ask you to excuse us as this is not typical of our hotel and we assure you that our intention is that problems like these do not happen again, if we are given the opportunity to have you as our guests staying again.

We remain at your disposal.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our first time in a hotel resort all included. it is not surprising that we loved it! The place is very beautifull, the staff is very nice, the food is abundant but its quality is average. The pool is terrible! Because they put the bar inside the pool, a LOT of drinks fall in the water, and drunk people pee in it. We went for buggies program outside the resort. DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THE BUGGIES PEOPLE!!! They sold us "cofee"but that was actually cofee mixed with dirt! Prepare to get really really dirty if going on buggies.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comment. We apologize for the inconveniences occurred during your stay and that marred their honeymoon.

We will follow up the aspects Mentioned, to Improve our service.

In the future, we hope you can return and give us the opportunity to pamper you as we know.

We look forward to welcome you again!

Cordially,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I'll just start from our arrival and carry you through to the current day of our stay (day 4).
Upon arrival we were greeted by the rest of our group who were still waiting for rooms even tho their check-in time was noon. They were given multiple reasons, apologies, passed around to different staff all to no avail. After some pretty intense verbal arm twisting and threats we were shown to our rooms. Our rooms smelled musty, not so much a criticism as preparation for any travelers coming to this resort. Several electrical outlets were hanging out of the walls, the room fridge's vents were frozen solid limiting the coldness of the drinks inside. The toilet was broken, and ran forever if the handle wasn't jiggled. Shower head was broken and dangling. The general feel of the room was one of neglect. That being said, the resort grounds are meticulously groomed and maintained. I had less of a problem with the room issues because of the care that is taken with the areas outside the room. I dont vacation to sit in my room. The staff is very helpful and friendly, know that a large majority of them speak little to no english but understand enough to take care of your needs or will find you someone who can. In my opinion the food is not going to be up to what most people from the U.S. are used to, you may be disturbed by the way food is handled, but I had no food related issues and found the buffet food was fine. Do not expect cruise quality food. The ala carte restaurants are good and of you can swing it, I would suggest sticking to those, you'll be less disappointed. The beach is beautiful and is maintained to the same level of the grounds. The pool is large, well maintained and the central social hub during the day. Lots of activities are offered day and night and the staff approach these with energy and enthusiasm. I think that if you are someone who places high priorities on food and room quality id steer clear of this resort. BUT if you are more focused on a beautiful location, tons of activities in and near the resort and a high priority on culture immersion I highly recommend this resort. It all comes down to what is most important to you.

• Stayed September 2012
Cataloniabav, General Manager at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest:

First of all thank you for the time spent in your comments.

We would like to express our apologies to the problems encountered in your stay. Sorry you had to experience a certain time and for reasons beyond our control that your holidays were at risk of ruin. We gave what we could to control the situation.

We remain at your disposal

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Second time to Dominican - First time to Punta Cana - we had an excellent stay at Catalonia
Bavaro. Pool was awesome, Beach was excellent. The choice of restaurants and food
made for lots of variety and nice change of scenery. The ocean views at lunch are spectacular.
Staff very accomodating and friendly. The one thing we did want was to play horse shoes
on our own on the beach but it was set as an "organized activity" we could not just play on our
own. The open air massage, the romantic dinner on the beach, the different theme dinners
all made it very nice. I also loved the jewlery shop on the resort, very nice. The rooms could
have been a bit fresher and cleaner...drapes washed - smelled a bit of smoke - but for the money, we are very pleased with our overall experience. We went for a relaxing vacation
and that is exacly what we got. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: Pick close to the front near the main lobby, less walking.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know about your stay with us. We were pleased providing you an excellent service and to know that you liked much.

All the comments you have sent us about customer service are more than helpful, and we appreciate the feedback we received from our valuable guests.

Receive warm regards from all our staff.
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Before going to Catalonia bavaro, I read the reviews and thought majority of the complaints were not that serious. Upon arriving and getting to my room we learnt that they gave us two single beds pushed together making a "king" sized bed, after waiting for what was supposed to be ten mins for our luggage that they insisted they handle, ended up being more than a half hour. When the luggage arrived, I noticed the bell boy trying to hide the fact that they broke off the wheel on my suitcase. When phoning the "privileged" service desk, they informed me that the next day we would get a room with a real king sized bed and they would look for the wheel they broke off and ask the bell boy.

The next day they gave us our new room after asking several more times for the change of rooms hoping to get on with our vacation. When we finally got our new room we learnt our safe was broken and spent several hours waiting, and having several staff in our room trying to fix, then replace the safe.When asking if they knew what their plan was to correct the suitcase problem we were told that by 3pm they would have an answer on the following day. This went on for the first few days and finally they said they didn't find a wheel. And the bell boy said that I arrived with a damaged suitcase (when in fact I pulled my suitcase from the bus and wheeled it into the lobby where we were told to leave it there. And it stood upright like it should have. So I know it was not broken)
Finally mid week the "privileged manager" wanted to meet with us about the broken suitcase. After waiting for her to finish her personal conversation and texting we again explained our story. She called the bell boy and told us the same story we heard the day before. I explained to her that throwing the wheel away could easily have happened if they didn't want to get caught. She then asked to see the severity of the damage. So we went to our room, emptied it, brought it in and showed her the wheel bracket and wheel had been broken. We then waited and were late for our dinner plans, for her to tell us that they could shrink wrap the suitcase for me.....???...I explained this would not be very beneficial and suggested they replace it. I also asked if they sold them in their gift shops and could replace it from there. She assured me they did not and offered to drive me into town the next day to go buy another one. Our group had plans the next day and didn't want to go to the unsafe parts of Dominican and this was now our last day.. She informed me after all of this,.. They were not responsible for damages on luggage .. So why even look at it?????
Our last day we browsed the shops to find they sold suitcases.... For almost $400.00 ?!?!?

Overall, the resort itself is beautiful. We did have some amazing times. We got engaged, but I'm writing this review for those of you, who like myself, go on vacation to be pampered and get away from the hustle n bustle, and appreciate service.
Many a night we called room service (which we paid extra for) and asked for simple things like water and had no one show up. We bought into the idea that "privileged" had more to offer than the standard package. As we went for a relaxing week, and were willing to pay extra for "service" Our friends opted not to take the privileged package and the only difference we really noticed was at the buffet, privileged has its own seating area, access to room service (with a minimal selection, hardly worth the upgrade) and in the rooms, they didn't have an alarm clock. Was this worth an extra $200 plus? ... I can't say it was..

When it came to getting drinks we usually waited a while for cups to be washed, or to even be acknowledged. By the end of the week, we just wanted to go home. The music was loud and could often hear it from our room at night. The closer to the beach the less you will hear. We got neighbors to our room during the week and they were an elderly couple that were givin a key for the lights,.. But not their room. So we let them in and tried for about ten min to get a hold of the "privileged" desk to send someone for a key. This couple was too old to walk the distance and plus it was raining, we waited with them for about a half hour before someone came to help them in, tired and desperate for their room they thanked us for our help.

I don't want to come across ungrateful, we tipped well, and paid good money to go, but I really felt like anything we needed was inconvenient to the staff. My previous trip to punta Cana princess,.. customer service was excellent, never felt like a burden to the staff and they upgraded us and gave us real service. Offering us drinks before we finished the one we had.

To anyone planning to go here,.. I hope your experience is better than ours was. We will not return to this place. I would rate this a 3star for service alone. The property is 5star and the food a 4star.

Room Tip: If you don't want the noise, get a room as close to the beach as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!