It was my first time going to Dominican Republic with my friend so we were both really excited to get away from the city for a week. We booked through travelocity for a decent price - affordable for students in desperate need for a vacation. The check-in was smooth and the staff were friendly, however, I was disappointed that no one even tried to help us carry our luggage. I had to carry all of my stuff all the way to the far side of the resort (near the beach).
Our room was really nice and cozy. The TV was really old, but it had pretty good channels. My friend and I watched a lot of movies as well. We had a little patio outside with a hammock which was nice, but one time we saw a cockroach and we never went there again. I also liked how our cleaning lady Maria cleaned our room everyday. I liked how she did something new with the towel design everyday.
For the first few days, we stayed at the beach and the pool mostly. The Animacion entertainment team invited us to play games with them and dance at the beach. My team won so we got a little certificate and got to stand on stage on the awards night. We met a couple of people that were mostly from Europe. However, I found that after 3 days, there really isn't that much to do. We got really bored and sick of the beach/pool after a few days. It was a good thing that we both decided to do excursions. My friend and I went to the Safari and the one with Sharks & Stingrays. The excursions were really worth it. They made my trip from good to super awesome! Don't book right away though, try to shop and around for good deals.
I found that most people from the resort are very hospitable. They were all nice and friendly. However, I don't like how some people were all up in your face trying to sell you something. I know they desperately need to make sales but as a person who doesn't like to say no, we were actually trying to avoid a certain area because we know that the person selling is waiting for us.
The food was okay. The breakfast bar near the beach isn't really good - the food was really bland. The bigger buffet place was better and there were more selections. I didn't like how there were so many birds inside just wanting to eat your food. But the staff was really friendly and helpful. I love how hospitable DR people are. The a la cartes were much better though - we actually dressed up for it although they weren't that fancy. I really liked Japanese restaurant in terms of experience. It was fun to watch the guy cook your dinner in front of you. If I were to pick, I liked the Mariachi restaurant the best in terms of food.
The drinks! To be honest, I am not much of a drinker. I like drinking shots but not mixed drinks. But I found the drinks that the bar offered was pretty good! I especially LOVE mama juana. It was my first time trying it and it automatically became my favorite. That was the only time that I was thankful that we had unlimited drinks.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort but I don't think I would want to come back again soon just because I would like to try other resorts or other Caribbean countries. It was definitely an awesome experience.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Bavaro
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Catalonia Punta Cana
- Catalonia Bavaro Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Golf & Casino Resort
- Punta Cana Catalonia
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Golf Casino Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Catalonia Bavaro
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent hotel resort with exclusive, white sandy beaches, crystalline Caribbean waters, palm trees lining the coast and abundant vegetation throughout the complex. Coral reefs along the beach allow guests to enjoy the rich marine life of the Caribbean Sea. It is located in Playa Bavaro (Punta Cana), one of the best beach areas in the Dominican Republic. The complex is situated 20 km from the International Airport of Punta Cana and 47 km from Higuey. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.