“Essentially a private lesson for your family!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 161 Activities in Punta Cana
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: CoastRiders Surf & Skate School/Shop, will take you to Surf the waves of Macao in an incredible journey, specialized in small groups with ONE ON ONE instruction, try our Stand Up Paddle also. CoastRiders Surf Shop, carries the best brands in surf and skate apparel and equipment... From boardshorts and bikinis, to skate shoes and surf boards. We offer the best variety of articles for the active and carefree lifestyle of the coast! Our Skate ramps are ideal for some fun away from the water, and of course, we offer also skate lessons... Come by and ride with us!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Essentially a private lesson for your family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were in Punta Cana at Christmas 2012. My family really wanted to learn how to surf. I used TripAdvisor to look at my options. I'm sure there are a number of good companies to use...and I think they all use the same stretch of Macao Beach (which is really nice by the way)...but let me tell you about Coast Riders. We didn't get to their store...but we hired them to give us a private lesson for my family (kids aged 11, 14, 15). They did an amazing job. First of all, Carlos/Charlie is from Spain and speaks perfect English. It is easy to plan in advance via email as correspondence is professional and it gives you confidence that your booking is well organized. They pick you up right at your hotel (we were at the Bahia Principe) and it is a quick ride to the beach. All the equipment is waiting for you there, as are helpers (so every surfer has someone helping them). They taught us on the beach first...and then out we went. Very good lessons and equipment. First I thought it was a bit expensive ($70 per person) BUT after doing it, I think it is fair. Hey, they've got to make a few bucks, eh? But they pick you up, take you there, you get a detailed lesson, we surfed for a few hours (with a much needed break mid-way)...spent some time on the beach...had a great time...and they take you right back to your hotel. I strongly recommend using them if you want a private type experience vs a larger group. They have good learner boards too (a bit softer) and lend you surf shirts etc. Really good overall: This is a GO.

Visited December 2012

Kampala, Uganda
“Thank you Coast Riders!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had an amazing day learning to surf with Coast Riders. The team was super friendly and fun and made sure that we all got up on the boards. Carlos and Jimmy picked us up at our hotel and drove us about 25 mins to Macao Beach, which we soon found out is the last wild beach in Punta Cana.

Macao Beach is stunningly beautiful, with sparkling turquoise water and powdery soft sand. Carlos explained to us that it is the perfect place to learn surfing because there are no rocks or reefs to worry about in the water. At one end of the beach the waves were about 3 m high, but towards the other end they get smaller. Perfect for beginners!

After a quick lesson we hopped in the water. Each surfer has an instructor of sorts who essentially pushes you into the waves. This way you can focus on getting your balance and standing up because you don't have to time the waves and paddle. The atmosphere was really laid back and fun, with lots of cheering everytime someone stood up on their board.

After a couple of hours of surfing, we went and had a beer with Jimmy at a beachside bar/bbq hut, where Jimmy imparted a hugely important piece of information. When asking for a cold beer in the Dominican, you need to tell them you want it "vestido de novia" which means dressed like a bride. A cold beer always wear a nice white layer of frost! Don't mistakenly ask for one "vestido de noviO", that means dressed like a groom, and I'm not sure what you'll get.

Surfing was a total adrenaline rush! My husband and I absolutely can't wait to do it again. Coast Riders gave us the perfect introduction. If we're ever in Dominican again we will definitely go back and take another lesson. My only complaint is that we got so caught up surfing that we didn't get any pictures of us in the water! Something to remember for your visit...

Visited February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the highlights of our vacation in Punta Cana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Luis, aka, Giovanni was great. His English was excellent and it made communication easy as our Spanish is terrible. He picked us up (on time!) at our hotel, which was about a 15 minute ride from beautiful Macao Beach.

Surfing Experience:
I had never been surfing before so Giovanni gave a great 10 minute lesson on the sand, along with his two local assistants. How to lie flat, then stand up, in a balanced way. Out in the water his 2 assistants helped my girlfriend and I individually while Giovanni coached from the shore and also took pictures which turned out great. I struggled to get up on the board - I'm a big guy who used to be in better shape but his team at the end found a longer board which made the last couple runs worth the frustration up to then. Certainly nothing to do with his instruction - definitely my ability! Here's a quick tip - if you think you will need a long board, please mention it when you make your reservation.

We were there about 2 hours, then called it a day. There were no other lessons scheduled after us and Giovanni graciously offered to extend our surfing time for no additional costs - we were both ready for a little rest at that time.

It was a lot fun to try, and we would both highly recommend this excursion! Surfing with Giovanni was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

-Dave and Monique

Visited December 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Amazing experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Surfing with Coast Riders turned out to be a great experience for myself and my family. I wanted to find something that wasn't so touristy and a little more individual. We bought surf lessons for my mother's 50th birthday. We were all first-timers and all were able to get up on the surf board without problems. The lesson was great and they have people in the water to help you with the surfing at all times. Giovanny took amazing photos and had professional photo editing to make the pictures even more amazing. Giovanny allowed us several hours to surf giving us a break in between for a beverage.
There was an error in communication. Giovanny was not allowed by our resort to pick us up because security was not properly informed. At the time we thought we were forgotten about, but when I finally got ahold of someone at Coast Riders they apologized and scheduled us for the next day. That did cause us to miss out on doing something else that morning, but it ended up working out fine the next day. Make sure you inform your hotel security that someone is picking you up! I recommend Coast Riders for surf lessons, especially if you want a more individualized experience.

Visited January 2013
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The surfing lessons with Giovanni really made my family and I's trip. If you want a localized and a not so touristy feeling for your surfing lessons, this is the place to do it. The guys were great. Very genuine, encouraging, and great instructors as well.

Would love to do it again!