“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

You added The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

An Amazing experience. Staff did an excellent job to accommodate what ever we needed and thought we needed. Everything you need is there on the facility. Shopping, restaurants, beverages, spa, pool, activities, etc.. Rooms were apartment sized. There is nothing bad I can say about The Reserve. Felt very pampered. Will return!

• Stayed October 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Harriman, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our stay at this resort was wonderful... But... before I get to all the positives, I need to tell this one negative story. I hope this might help management and future guests to avoid having the same experience in the future.

My wife and I chose to go to Punta Cana to celebrate our 9 year wedding anniversary. I did my usual thorough 2-3 week research via Trip Advisor, Expedia, Oyster and YouTube. And with all that research, one thing stood out to me... The Master Suite with Private Garden at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real. I should explain I am a person who truly values privacy and peace. I had never stayed at a resort that offered a room that gave you your own personal outdoor space and pool access. However my wife has never felt comfortable in ground level rooms so that led me to book a One Bedroom Master Suite via Expedia.

Shortly after booking the trip I was able to convince my wife to give the One Bedroom Master Suite with Private Garden a try. Of course with Expedia you cannot alter your booking after it has been purchased, so I contacted the resort directly. I informed them I wanted to upgrade to The One Bedroom Master Suite with Private Garden and expressed my excitement at being able to have pool access from my room. The person I spoke to (I will not use his name as I don't believe in doing so for negative things), informed me of the cost of the upgrade. I SPECIFICALLY ASKED if I needed to make a payment or deposit to hold the room and he said no. He told me I could just pay for the upon checking in. For the next month my wife and I eagerly anticipated our trip.

Upon arrival (via private transport) from the airport, we were warmly greeted by the staff at the entrance who handled our luggage and directed us to reception. Our check-in was handled by the same person I spoke to over the phone. I reminded him of our conversation and he stated he saw the "upgrade request" in the computer. It was at this moment that I learned this resort has One Bedroom Master Suites with Private Gardens AND One Bedroom Master Suites with Private Garden (Swim Up)... And the Swim Up room was much more expensive then what I was quoted. But he also informed me despite our phone conversation the One Bedroom Master Suite with Private Garden was unavailable.

In my experience if a person reserves a room upgrade and then that room upgrade is not available, the proper thing to do is offer them whatever upgrade IS available, at the same price so as to make things right. We were offered nothing of the sort. The only options we were given were keep the original booking, or pay $1100 to upgrade to the swim up. This was unacceptable. After 2 days of disappointment and negotiation we were allowed to upgrade at a reduced rate. Lessons? (1) There are 2 different Private Garden style rooms (garden only and garden with swim up) (2) If you decide to call to upgrade... PAY UP FRONT regardless of what they say.

One final complaint... We were assigned a concierge at check in. This person sets up your dinner reservations and other services. She asked us if we were celebrating anything she should know about. We informed her it was our 9 year anniversary figuring she would arrange something special... She didn't. Actually after we declined to sit through the 90 minute presentation, we never heard from her again. Disappointing.

These experiences are the sole reasons I didn't give the resort a 5 star rating. So close.

Now for the wonderful things that make up The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.
The resort, the grounds and the rooms are simply incredible. The open courtyards with the beautiful fountains outside your room door really let you know this is not your average resort. With that said the grounds pale in comparison to the service and the people (aside from the 2 mentioned above). All the servers, the cleaning staff, the bartenders... Everyone is so friendly. Always a smile and kind words which really adds to the special feel of the resort.

The food is very good, not great, but very good and there is a very nice variety to choose from. I didn't particularly like having to make a reservation for every restaurant every night, but I understand this is done to prevent people having to sit around waiting for tables when it's busy. The servers are so polite and outgoing and truly help you have a pleasant dining experience every single time.

The One Bedroom Master Suite is extremely spacious and beautifully decorated and laid out. The dual shower heads are a nice (and romantic) touch. The bathroom is of the highest quality and the dual robes and slippers are a very nice touch. The bed is extremely comfortable and very difficult to leave in the mornings but a pleasure to return to after a fun-filled day. The refrigerator stayed fully stocked (thanks to Juan Jose Rosa) with juices, beer, sodas and even chocolate milk. The balcony is such a nice private, comfortable and peaceful place to be.

The true highlight of the One Bedroom Master Suite with Private Garden is the Private Garden. The layout is beautiful and incorporates flowers, bushes and pristine landscaping to achieve privacy and a truly high-end feel. The outdoor covered bed is incredible! It's a relaxing place to spend your time but it also adds a nice sense of romance to your relaxation time. It's a great place to spend some alone time after the sun goes down.

One of the highlights of our trip was spending the final moments of our evenings at the bar in Gabí Club laughing and drinking with our new friends Stefan, Gustavo and Felix. These guys are fun and make sure you have a fun enjoyable evening. It was always a great moment greeting and being greeted by "Mi primo", Gustavo whenever we passed by. We were introduced to so many delicious and interesting drinks and they kept them coming. Our personal favorites were Mama Juana (of course), the B-52 and the White Sangria. I can't say enough about Gustavo and the guys. After our week long stay, they truly became our friends and we can't wait to go back to see them.

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real is a special place. I will go back every chance I get. With a few minor tweaks this could easily be one of the greatest resorts most people will ever stay. It is a special place made even more special by the special people it's filled with. Thank you for a wonderful vacation... See you soon.

Room Tip: There are rooms with Private Gardens and Private Gardens (Swim Up)... Be sure which you reserve.
  • Stayed September 2015, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My family visited the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real in September, 2015 and overall we had an excellent experience there. My wife and I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old so we opted to upgrade to the Master Suite instead of paying for the family concierge and we were very happy with our decision. The suite was absolutely massive, without a doubt the largest hotel room we have ever stayed in, and having the extra space for the kids was great.
When we arrived on the property we were very impressed with the curb appeal of the property. The grounds are perfectly maintained, and there is an army of employees constantly outside working on the landscaping, cleaning and doing repairs to the property even though we were there during the slowest part of the season. Check-in was easy, we were greeted at the main entrance with chilled towels and welcome champagne, and the staff even brought frozen drinks for our kids which was a nice touch. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but the staff took our bags and we just went over to the buffet and had lunch while we waited. Once we finally got settled into the room we had a fantastic week. Here is our assessment of all the different aspects of the resort.
The staff:
We thought that the staff at the Reserve was awesome and couldn't have been nicer to us and our kids. Everyone greeted us with a smile wherever we went, and the service at the bars and restaurants was great overall. We did have a few little hiccups here and there with making reservations for a few dinners, but everything worked itself out and was a non-issue. It should be noted that English is not the predominant language there, so if you do not speak any Spanish you may have some challenging moments. (We're not so arrogant to think that someone from another country should speak English, but we just thought we should make a note of it). We had read some reviews prior to going that said they felt the staff at the Reserve was much better than the staff at the main resort, and we 100% agreed with that. We had a few waiters at the main resort that seemed annoyed that we had kids with us, and a few others that tried to make jokes to the kids and came off as very smart-alicky or something. But the staff at the Reserve couldn't have been any better. Virgilio at the Hydro Grill was our favorite without a doubt, he was our go-to guy for drinks by the pool.
The room:
As I stated before, the Master Suite we upgraded to was absolutely huge. We were on the 3rd floor which was fine most of the time, but there are no elevators in the resort so carrying all the pool stuff up and down 2 flights of stairs with the kids every day got tiring at times. The room was always spotless, and our mini-fridge was stocked completely full with sodas, beer, juice and as much chocolate milk as 2 little kids could possibly drink. Every day the staff came around in the morning and asked us what we wanted in the fridge, and they put as much stuff as it could hold which was awesome. We also had full bottles of Stoli vodka, Dewarr's and a local rum in the room which was pretty nice also. We spent a fair amount of time in the room during the day since our younger daughter still needs a nap, so having the large whirlpool out on the patio was a really nice feature. There wasn't much we would have changed about the room, other than maybe having one on the first or second floor.
The resort amenities:
We spent most of the time in the kids pool, and the girls had a great time there. The little water slides are great for young kids, and the Kidz Zone is immediately adjacent to the kids pool. We used the Kidz Zone some, but not a ton. We mostly used it to get the girls out of the sun when they got too hot, and to run in and grab snacks during the day. I will say that the staff in the Kidz Zone was really really awesome. We would have had no issues at all leaving our girls there with them. One thing we didn't know about until the end of the week was they put a kids buffet lunch out in there with a ton of stuff which you can just grab and go eat out at the pool, or eat inside if you want. The main pool is huge and has a swim up bar, water feature with lounge chairs, and a few canals that have whirlpools in them also. And the number of pool chairs, cabanas and shaded areas to relax outside was mind-boggling. Being there during the slow season helped I'm sure, but even at maximum capacity it seemed like there would be no problem finding a chair by the pool. We didn't use the large pool at the main resort at all because of the kids, but it was impressive.
The food:
For the most part the food was very good, especially for an all-inclusive. We ate at Mizo twice for dinner which was our favorite, and we also had a really great dinner at Aqua. We also did Olio which is over the at the main resort....the food there was very good, but the staff definitely seemed annoyed by our kids. The other 2 nights we just did the buffet which was fine, but we greatly preferred the other restaurants. For breakfast we went over to the main resort almost every day, there was a ton more choices there.....almost too many. It takes about 15 minutes to even walk through and check everything out. As far as lunches go, we had room service one day which was actually really good, and we ate at the Hydro Grill quite a bit also. The only thing we would have liked would have been an a la carte restaurant for breakfast, and maybe one more option for lunch at the Reserve. But the quality of the food was great, my wife had filet mignon at Aqua, and I had lobster which isn't that common to be included.
The beach:
We also spent a pretty good amount of time at the beach, and for the most part it was really nice. As a lot of other reviews have stated, there is a lot of seaweed washing up on the beach, but it's not that bad. They cleaned the seaweed every day except for one, and even the day they didn't clean it, there was just a line of seaweed and you could just step right over it. The sand itself is powdery, with no rocks or shells, so it's really great for kids to play in, and to swim in the ocean. There isn't much surf, so if body surfing is your thing you'll be disappointed. We didn't walk up or down the beach much to look at the other resorts, but in front of the Palma Real they have plenty of security so we never had any issues with people approaching us try to sell us anything. And the resort has hundreds of covered cabanas and drink service on the beach which was cool.
Other things we liked:
I am a scuba diver and I was able to go out and dive for free just a few hundred yards off the beach which was great. I was only gone for an hour or so, so my wife wasn't stuck with the kids all day. They do offer 2 tank dives for $60, but it's an all-day trip so I decided against that. I'm sure you have read about the golf carts that take you back and forth between the 2 resorts, and we used them a lot. We never had to wait for more than a minute or 2, and it's less than a minute ride between the resorts. We walked it a few times, it's not that far at all, but in 90 degree heat with that sun beating down on you it feels like a long way. But if you are concerned about not being directly on the beach, I will say it's no big deal and you can be from the Reserve to the beach in 3 minutes. You can be dropped off at the Gabi Beach entrance so it's a very short walk from the drop off point to the sand.
Things we didn't like:
There wasn't much to complain about at all, but there were a few small things. As I mentioned before, there are no elevators in the hotel, so if you get a 3rd floor room expect to get some leg workouts going up and down the stairs all week. If you cannot do stairs then make sure you get a 1st floor room. Also, the exterior doors to the hotel rooms slam LOUDLY. We usually couldn't hear it in the bedroom, but if you are in the living area you can definitely hear when other people come and go. As I stated before, a few waiters at the main resort were a little annoyed that we had young kids with us, but that was about it. Also, making reservations for dinner is a little bit of a hassle. Not all of the restaurants are open every day, so you kind of have to schedule out your dinners when you get there to make sure you can try all the places you want to.
Overall we had a really wonderful time at the Reserve and would go back in a second. The staff was great, the hotel itself was amazing and for the amount we paid we felt like it was an outstanding value. If you have any questions about the resort please let me know, I would be more than happy to answer them. Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms require a lot of trips up and down stairs!
  • Stayed September 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This place is one of the hidden gem in Dominican republic. The staff is one of the
nicest in Dominican republic. Food is 10/10 trust me you will come back to this place.
Thank me later for this. The private beach at night is amazing. The lighting decor is
stellar. Its Melia hotels the name speaks for its self.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Its a beautiful resort with multiple areas, but at the same time you receive a personalized treatment. Has many specialty restaurants by reservation. But my favorite attraction is the Spa.These staff: Yeylin, Ironelis, Andres,Yandaira, Rebeca and others made it a memorable experience. Thanks

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed 2 nigths on December 2014 and I was in love with the service. I paid extra for the Royal service wich was worth it. The food and drinks were amazing they had top drinks, wine, champagne,etc.. and food 24 hrs incluided in the all inclusive rate. Overall I felt like in a Paradise. The only think that I regret and would advise you not to do is the time share guys! We did it just to be nice with our concierne lady from Royal Service that was a love, she insisted that we should go as she would get some points or promotion and we did it as a gratitud. But oh God! these guys destroyed my hapinees and peace of mind that I had during my stay. Please dont do it!! the hotel is GREAT just skip that part.

Room Tip: Royal Serice rooms are good even the junior suits
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently stayed with my family at The Reserve and had an excellent time.

The Staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. The Reserve is certainly quieter than the main hotel and more exclusive. The golf carts were very convenient and easily accessible for transport to the main hotel. The pools at The Reserve were great - especially the kiddie pool. The Kids Zone was also great - the staff (Francesca) was extremely nice to the children.

The property is well maintained and the rooms are large, comfortable and clean. If traveling with children i'd recommend a room on the first floor.

Meals were very easy as the concierge arranges the reservations. For breakfast we often went to the main hotel - Naos which had a larger buffet with many options. For lunch we ate at the Gabi and Naos and the pool. Again, Naos had a larger buffet selection. Dinners were arranged as i mentioned by the concierge. We were often seated quickly and the staff (especially Alexandro at The Reserve and Hugo at the main hotel) were extremely nice and friendly especially to my 2 year old. We liked Aqua the best out of the few we dined at.

It's a comfortable child friendly resort. The Staff really makes sure that you're enjoying yourselves.

Room Tip: first floor if traveling with children
  • Stayed September 2015, traveled with family
#15 of 98 in Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 stars 10,109 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana

Been to The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!