“Great family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Save Saved
You added The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #3 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Miami, Florida
“Great family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great family vacation! I stayed for 7 days and wished I could stay for more. The kids had a blast in the kids pool area. Great hospitality and service. The Dominicans are very friendly and prided themselves on excellent service. For example, our bartender Diego Gonzalez made our trip very memorable. He made us laugh and always went out of his way to bring our drinks and snacks to us by the pool. I totally recommend this hotel to anyone that is considering on going and especially if you have small children.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Janet T,

I would like to thank you for your valuable comments. It is a pleasure for me to hear that you had a memorable stay with us due to the effort and dedication demonstrated by our bartender Diego Gonzalez.

We will be waiting your next visit at this, your ¨home away from home.

2,139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Fanwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This was an amazing vacation in every respect. The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real is a beautiful resort and the staff is exceptional. This was admittedly our first stay at an all-inclusive resort, so I have no basis for comparison, but I truthfully can't imagine it being any better than it was. I booked the entire vacation on CheapCaribbean.com, which worked out to give us the best deal, and everything went smoothly in that respect. From the minute we stepped into the resort we were treated extremely well (by the way, we went there for a wedding and our entire group had the same experience). I know that their staff is trained in customer service, but I never felt that anyone was being accommodating and friendly just because it's their job; they were genuinely friendly and eager to make our stay a memorable one. I must mention the extra attention we received from the front desk manager, Lara Mendes; Emmanuel, who delivered and set up a beautiful breakfast table in our Master Suite; and Domingo, from Scuba Aquatic, who took me out on a free "discovery dive" (one of the highlights of my trip); among many others. Even the turn down service each night was more than what one would expect. The grounds of the resort are meticulously maintained, and the food was delicious. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point! I tried to think of some things that were negatives. To be picky, the Wifi reception was quite poor, there was no printer in the business center, the lighting in room was too dim (I heard more complaints from the females in my group about this), and the couches in the suite were oddly too firm (like rocks).

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at our The Reserve At Paradisus Palma Real .

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you had a memorable stay because of the friendliness and attentiveness our staff.

Thank you for your valuable review and I look forward your next visit.

Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just got back. Went for 7 days with my family, kids 18, and 12 and stayed in the Family Concierge in the Reserve. We had a great time. Outstanding facilities and service, beautiful hotel. The staff was outstanding. Props to Andy and Sophia, our concierges, Roberto one of the waiters was super nice, Gilbert and 'James Cameron' :) were also very nice and always helpful...The restaurants were very good as was the evening entertainment. We enjoyed our excursions to Cap Cana (thanks Guibert and friends) and swimming with the dolphins as well. Well done' Eduardo' of Olympus Travel. We are picky travelers and this was a top notch experience. Strongly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great get away.

Room Tip: "The Reserve' gets you into everything and maximizes your service and dining opportunities.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to share your experience with future travelers.
It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that we have fulfilled all your expectations in our effort to bring you a memorable stay. I sincerely appreciate your respects towards Andy, Sophia, Roberto, Gilbert and James.

We look forward to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the near future at this your home in paradise.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Please allow me to start with the positives. The Resort decor is very impressive. When you arrive they have your name on a scroll, cool cloth and frosty drink for a refreshing cool off. The concierge assigned to us was great but unable to address the issues cited below.

Before I go into that, let me say for the record. I am one of the people who feel trip advisor is valuable but there are some people who write reviews with unrealistic expectations or who seem to love being negative. I truly am not one of them.

Negatives: upon checkin they try to upsell you on a different room (even though we already had the mid-level room in the "upper resort"), mold in the shower, housekeeping staff was nice but horrible. Initially we thought they had around the clock service-however we were wrong. We found this out because they did not restock our beach towels, wash cloths, soap or empty our trash. We notified them before going to dinner (about 8pm or so) & was told they would. Meanwhile, upon our return we noticed they came in for turndown added beach towels and nothing else. We called about 11pm and was told no one was available to bring wash cloth and soap but it would be done first thing in the morning. Not! I spoke with two different managers at the resort on all the different issues and promises were made but... well you know.

Here's the bottom line. While this resort is nice. It should not be considered 5 star at all. The service level is mediocre at best on common sense issues. If I were to return I'd stay at Paradisus -not The Reserve as it is not worth it. If you are seeking an extra level of service consider "The Royal Service" at The Paradisus. That's where you will probably spend most of your time anyway as it is where the beach and a majority of all activities are.

• Stayed August 2013
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having taken the time to air your concerns after having stayed with us.

I deeply regret to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude. We will be attentive to the behavior of our staff so as to avoid situations that lead us away from our goal.

Your observations have been addressed to my managing team in order to fine- tune on improvement areas.

Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

the reserve grounds, food, amenities, and above all service was excellent. Miguel Ansel Pilier served us at the reserve buffet every morning and his smile and service was a great way to start the day. Julio alberto Flores served us in the evening at the reserve buffet and was our sons hero by finding his wallet and turning it in to security for us!!!! Other standout service was given by Gustavo Castro, Raydin Delgado, Eusebio Guzman, and Ovidio Bigay!! I found all the staff spoke more than adequate English and were more than accommodating. The only difficulty we found was the dinner reservation system. This needs to be overhauled. this system does not work!!! Either make the restaurants all first come, first serve. Or if people are more than 30 minutes late for their reservation they lose it!!! You have beautiful restaurants that are empty because people don,t keep or cancel their reservations!!! Change this policy, and you will have the perfect paradise!!!

Room Tip: pay the extra money and get a down stairs suite, no elevators in this resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Reserve At Paradisus Palma Real Resort as your holidays destination.

I am very proud to have received your compliments and I sincerely appreciate your respects to our staff members. Please rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Thank you for extending us your experience and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future at this your second home.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First off - the property and grounds were spectacular. The problem was general staff simply not caring about service and being helpful. I always attempted to speak Spanish with staff, and once it was clear that I was in over my head, we migrated back to English. The staff (front desk in particular) was very good at half answering my inquiries, giving us misleading information, and ignoring service requests. We often felt as though the majority of the staff here once they realized that we would have a communication barrier intentionally withheld the expected level of service. Several restaurants throughout the Reserve and main property ignored us and simply answered us with "yes" rather than listening to their customers and caring to offer great service.

We did have a handful of servers help us but my takeaway was that the staff here is not trained in basic customer service and not motivated to listen and care about their customers. I have traveled to many resorts at this level and while the property was stunning, the staff and managers that we attempted to speak with simply did not care.

If I had a native Spanish speaker with me I am confident that I would have been treated better.

We had a service problem with our initial room and it took more than 12 hours from initially reporting the issue to them sending up a technician. This resulted in us having to vacate our room and move to a new room at 1am, not an easy thing to accomplish with a sleeping child. The resort once again did not seem to care. And while they moved us to an upgraded room the next day, they made no attempt to resolve my complete inconvenience of acknowledge that I gave up half of a day dealing with this crisis. In general there are too many other resort locations and chains to look into that care about their guests and value your business for me to ever recommend someone to any of their properties again in the future - specifically this one.

Dear Guest,

Exceeding expectations of our guests and offer a truly exceptional experiences is our goal. Therefore I am very concerned to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected.

I regret any difficulties you may have experienced when communicating with our staff. We have a great task ahead of us concerning this issue. As a matter of fact, we provide intensive educational courses, including English classes, since we understand their importance in our continuous effort to improve the quality of customer service. Nonetheless, I can assure you that all the departments that are directly in contact with our guests have an English-speaking staff.

Once again, thank you for your constructive observations. As I mentioned before, we understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went for 5 days in July, with 2 kids, 12 and 8.

Highly recommend the Family Concierge and most of all, the Reserve. I would not have enjoyed the "regular" Palma Real so much, I don't think.

Arrival: the Punta Cana arrivals area is total chaos....a complete mess, hot, humid and it was wall to wall pushing people when we arrived. I pre-purchased the tourist cards in hopes of shortening the process but I don't really know if that worked... we were in a (snaky) line for about 30 minutes. Got luggage, went to the Apple desk (booked through them) and were taken right out to a van. 20 min ride to the resort.

Van driver was a little confused, we got to the main resort but they waved us off to the Reserve check in, and to the Family Concierge check in. This is very classy, well done --- you are taken to a little seating are with cold drinks and your concierge comes and explains everything to you. Each family (if anyone arrives when you do) has a separate little area so you aren't in a big gaggle of people trying to register. We has asked about an upgrade to a swim up suite but it was $700 over what we paid, after the "credits" (useless) and we declined.

Our room was a Master One Bedroom on the 2nd floor....very nice. Everything in great condition. The couch set up for the kids was great --- 2 couches that became beds. During the day, the housekeeper remade them but they remained with sheets on them the whole time....if you plan to sit on the couches, keep this in mind. Bathroom was huge, with a separate shower/toilet room and sink/Jacuzzi room with closets, all separate from the bedroom. 2 A/C controls, one in the main room and one in the bedroom. Jacuzzi on the balcony along with seating for 4; our view was of the pool area although with the trees, it was more trees than pool, which was great.

Our Family Concierge was Sofia and she was exceptional; very attentive and helped us with everything we asked for. She ensured we had a spot at the beach each morning, made our reservations at night (and we switched them around a lot, no problem, she handled it all), left us surprises and treats, and handled our check out so that we literally put on traveling clothes and got into a van to the airport, that's it....no desk, no luggage, nothing. She was awesome! Although she probably had 3-4 families, we never noticed and she was always there when we needed her.

Food; was fine. Buffet at Gabi Club (Reserve) was good, we liked it. Gabi Beach we did not like; service was horrible and food was nothing special. Aqua was good although cold (A/C was up high, bring a wrap!) and we declined Passion and Veneto. Our best meal was at the Steakhouse (forgot the name) and it was AMAZING.....wonderful food, great service, on the beach, so good. The fruit was ridiculous....some of the best pineapple and mango I've ever had including Hawaii and Jamaica. My husband says the house wine was fine (El Gato Negro, apparently) and he didn't see the need to upgrade to other labels. Beware the smoothies/pina coladas, dacquiries ---- super nasty sweet with an artificial taste.

Reserve pool is nice and never crowded although the kiddie pool was. But that's where our kids wanted to be, so we got a bali bed and camped out all afternoon. Pool is zero entry and has slides, it's probably 2 ft? 3 ft? The other Reserve pool is basically a huge lazy river and it was fun to swim around it. HydroGrill next to the pool was nothing great...big old burgers and fries, but nothing great.

Our kids used the kids club a few days (movies, video games, crafts, soft-serve and hot dogs all day, pool games, bungee jumping tower, climbing wall) and asked to go back. There were planned activities but the times didn't work for us. They went for dinner one night and Sofia collected them at closing (8 pm) and walked them over to us a dinner.

Lots of towels in the morning and by afternoon, when they run out, you ask someone to get you some and they will. The staff was fine....not bothersome and we always found someone when we needed them. A few dollars in tips is always appreciated but we never felt like they were lurking for a tip.

Didn't leave the resort, didn't feel like we needed to. Except snorkeling (included) and that was fun; you need to reserve spots 2-3 days out (Sofia handled it, as usual) and kids had a blast. On Monday night there was a market of vendors at the resort if you want souveniers. The resort store was not horribly priced (I forgot batteries for my MP3 player and we bought some playing cards) and there are board games and books you can borrow.

There are 2 gyms -- one at the Reserve and one at the main resort. I used both and the Reserve is smaller but less crowded. Typical cardio equipment, some universals and free weights. At the main resort, it's larger but it's dark....no natural light and they had the music so loud I could hear it over my ear buds. But more selection of toning equipment.

The walk to the beach/main resort from the Reserve is less than 10 minutes and yes, it's hot at 2 pm (bring so much sunscreen!!!) but if you want, there are always staff in golf carts to take you to and from. We chose to walk (off the food) but no problems if you want to ride. The Family Concierge folks are there from, I think 7-7 and they will call a cart for you.

This was our first all-inclusive and if you have kids, this is the way to go!

Room Tip: 2nd floor was fine....3rd floor doesn't have much cover on the balcony and it rained -- torrenti...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for having shared your experience.

It is a pleasure for me to hear that your experience at our The Reserve At Paradisus Palma REal, left a memorable impression on you. At the The Reserve we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at this your home in Paradise.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!