“Nice Concept But Huge Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

You added The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #4 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Nice Concept But Huge Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a mixed reaction to our 7 night stay at Palma Real Reserve from June 16 to June 23, 2013. Like most people have said it is a gorgeous resort, but the customer service is terrible. We have gone to different Melia Resorts in Mexico including Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla and Me Cancun for many years now and had loved every minute of it. Unfortunately The Reserve failed miserably in comparison. If you expect to get any kind of service come to you, then you will be disappointed. We are not picky eaters and have traveled all over the world so we are certainly willing to try new flavors and different foods, however the food in this resort is really poor, very unmemorable and generally disappointing, so don't expect wonderful dining experiences. We hit some speed bumps along the way, but we didn't let it ruin things for us. We definitely won't be back anytime soon - they have a long way to go with regard to customer service and food. Oh, bring mosquito spray they were biting !!!
A shout to some special people who work very hard at this resort and deserve to be mentioned.
Miguel Angel Piliev ; Felipe Pinales ; Santo Ozuna and the wonderful team at the SPA - always kind and helpful and not in a fake way. Too bad the rest of the staff is so poorly trained AND NOT UP TO PAR.

Room Tip: Go for a swim up suite, it is worth every penny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to extend you our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

I must say that in general our guests perceive our services as an excellent. Nevertheless, I am sorry that your experience was not what you expected. I assure you that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

I hope the situations described do not deter you from visiting our resort on a future stay.

Regards,

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned from 7 days at this resort.

Good:
Nice Room - we were upgraded to the master suite, giving us a lot of room, with separate living and sleeping areas, indoor and outdoor Jacuzzis etc..
Good Kids Arrangements - has a separate kids pool with slides and a separate kiddie pool. Also the absolutely great kids zone, where you can drop off your kids till about 6 PM and rest assured they will be well taken care of
Prompt room service - Never had to wait more than 30 minutes for room service. All room service attendants were very courteous
Good Spa Facilities with good quality of services (albeit pricey)
Use of most facilities at the main Palma Real Hotel with access to a superb beach, many included restaurants (very imp), and an awesome pool.

The Not-so-good
Food was mediocre even by All Inclusive standards.
Room Service options were very limited
Reserve only had 2 restaurants (Food at Aqua was average, service was forgettable, Food and Service at Mizu was good) and at the Buffet place (Gabi Club) food and service was mediocre..so you definitely need the options at the main hotel
Wifi was super flaky...in our room, there were two spots where we got maybe 1 bar on wifi (some may call this a blessing in disguise though :))
Service at the beach was very slow
Most notable...We were almost lured into a Time Share presentation, with our Concierge even suggesting we would lose the $1,500 in coupons the resort provided. This was not advertised on the Melia site so we pushed the concierge hard, only to learn the Time Share presentation was optional...at which point we opted out of it...don't want to spend up to a couple hours of your vacation listening to a sales pitch. This is one thing that needs to be handled much better by the resort.
Finally, the $1,500 in coupons will require you to spend like $3000-5000 to avail all of it. E.g there is coupon for a $400 room upgrade...but the next room upgrade costs $1000, so you would have to pay $600 to use that coupon. Most usable were the $20 coupons for wine and $50 for spa (however, you can clearly tell the wines and spa services are seriously marked up).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Please accept my gratitude for taking the time to air your comments and observations. Your observations are very important to us as they allow us to identify our improvement areas.

I am sorry to hear your perception about our cuisine. It is very difficult to please all of our guests in this aspect especially since everyone’s perception on food is very personal. I assure you that your comments on this respect have been send to our Executive chef.

I hope the inconveniences experienced will not deter you from returning back in the near future. I will personally make sure you have a nicer stay than this time.

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and me recently went to the Spa for a massage and ended up staying for more than two hours using the facilities at the Spa as well. A special thanks to Maria Pilier, Evelyn Rodriguez for their service and to Juanita and aracelis for their profesionalism performing the massages.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is good to know you had indulged in a world-class spa holiday in the world’s most luxurious surroundings. I am very thankful for your comments towards Maria, Evelyn, Juana, & Aracelis,

The Yhi Spa experience will be waiting for you!

Lyndhurst, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real is pure bliss. My wife and I decided to take part in an all inclusive Honeymoon and looked at several different destinations around the Caribbean.
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real seemed to be a luxurious and relaxing destination with impeccable customer service and boy did we make the right decision.
We were welcomed with open arms at the private check in at the front desk. We were upgraded to a Master Suite because of our marriage and immediately were taken upstairs to our luxurious home for the next eleven days.
Once you check in to the Reserve you are provided with a Concierge to help book your reservations and get you settled into both the Reserve and the adjacent Paradisus Palma Real which you have full access too.
Unfortunately, our Concierge experience was so-so. Here is why. Each Concierge is at the hotel strictly to market Club Melia which is a time share experience at several locations worldwide. Their goal is to invite you to a 90 minute presentation about Club Melia. Now I’m all about traveling to different places and there is no doubt in my mind that Club Melia might be fun for some of you. But the last thing I want to do on my Honey Moon is to spend an additional $10,000 and be pressured into a time share.
When we decided to go against the Club Melia our Concierge, Dalmey De La Rosa stopped talking to us and we found ourselves without a Concierge for the remainder of the trip. Well, that is until we met Jose Valverde who is such committed individual. Jose Valverde is the greatest Concierge on the entire resort.
The Reserve is an absolute paradise. Our Master Suite was large and in charge. You walk into a large dining area with a bar and sitting area that leads out to a private porch. There are two flat screen TV’s with a nice assortment of both English and Spanish channels.
The bed is very comfortable and large and the bathroom area is humongous with two his or her sinks and his or her shower. In all candidness the room is unbelievably luxurious with a nightly turndown service and one refill of your mini bar per day. The free Room Service is greatly appreciated, although it might take a little bit longer for your food to arrive and the menu is a bit limited, Margarita Pizza, Burger, Club Sandwich, etc.
The grounds of the Reserve were so peaceful and relaxing. Since we went in September, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. You can literally have an entire section of the pool to yourself and as many cozy and relaxing rotunda’s as you wish. The pool is basically one big shape that I can’t even explain as each section of it goes towards your building. (Could be 4202 or 5329), etc.
The Gabi Club Swim Up Bar is the absolute cat’s meow. We spent numerous days swimming up to the bar and spending time with Juan, Felix, Shennly Matos and Luis Martinez. (Luis Martinez was absolutely incredible by the way and I intend to write a lot more about him in the review to come).
They introduce you to several different drinks including the Mama Juana (Dominican Drink that will knock your socks off if you drink enough of it) and the Dominican Flag.
The Gabi Club is a perfect place to go for Breakfast; however, it is important to note that after a bit the food gets somewhat overdone and repetitive. The service however was amazing as usual as you see many of the same staff throughout the day.
The Hydro Grille is where we found ourselves for lunch most of the time and this includes your normal wings, burgers, salads, nachos, chicken sandwiches, etc. However, the food is AMAZING AND the chef was incredible! You can even ask him for Dominican food if you are up to it.
The real cat’s meow is Julio Moya. Have you all heard his name enough yet? Julio Moya makes you feel like a family member, always yelling out “Que Paso!” Serving up your drinks and bringing you food. There is no question in my mind that Julio Moya excels in Customer Service. We didn’t get to say “goodbye” to him on our second to last day and were quite upset about it.
Your Concierge will do nice job of getting you set up for dinners throughout your stay. It’s important to note that those people who stay at the Reserve get complimentary meals at GABI BEACH WHICH IS HANDS DOWN THE BETS RESTAURANT ON THE ENTIRE GROUNDS.
Remember that even though you are staying at the Reserve, you also get complimentary access to the adjacent Palma Real and all of their Restaurants.
Paradisus Palma Real Restaurant Rankings: (Portions are somewhat smaller in the DR so please remember that you are more than welcome to order several entrees each time you sit down)
1) Gabi Beach: Juan Carlos Feliz was the best server around, hands down. This place is incredible with an amazing assortment of appetizers, starters, salads and entrees. Try the Lamb, Duck or Strip Steak.
2) Vento: Loved the menu. Eclectic to say the least. Had the Veal and was unbelievably impressed. Service with a smile. Felix in Vento and the Market Grille is the BEST WAITER IN THE PALMA REAL, HANDS DOWN! If you see Felix at Vento or the Market Grille YOU WON’T WANT ANOTHER WAITER! He is that good.
3) Mizu: I really liked the Tapanaki from Mizu. This restaurant is in the Reserve and I just think the whole experience is more entertaining and you get so many different choices of food as well. (Salmon, Steak, Filet, Chicken, Shrimp).
4) Market Grille: Really enjoyed this Restaurant at the Palma Real. Try the Grouper. It is what it is. As some restaurants are only open on certain nights depending on how many people are at the hotel.
5) Bana Bistro: Your usual Asian Cuisine. A blend of Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese all in one. It was o.k.
6) Aqua: This is located in the Reserve. Hector Rosa did a nice job. It’s an Italian and Mediterranean establishment and I didn’t love it.
7) Bana Tapanaki: Like being in America. The Chef had no personality. The table was forced. Liked my Filet but this felt like an American joint.

Let me make this easy for all of you to get. GO TO GABI BEACH, VENTO AND MIZU AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
The night time entertainment was phenomenal. You really can’t go wrong with any of them and I highly suggest attending Le Cirque, the Michael Jackson Experience and the Fire Show at Gabi Beach.
There are so many bars around to maximize your “buzz” during the day.
We spent so much time in the Casino enjoying amazing drinks from Antonio who does not get enough credit. The Casino is a great place to watch sports, have a drink and relax. Albeit the fact that they only have two Black Jack and one Roulette tables. I would not expect to win a lot of money at this resort.
The spa experience is incredible and be sure to utilize your resort credits to help pay for the massage of your choice. The hydrotherapy they put you through before your massage is also unique and amazing. One of the best couples massages my wife and I have ever endured.
Here are the top employees to us.
1) Luis Martinez: By far the best person in the entire staff. Amazing guy who wants everyone to have a wonderful time. We miss him terribly. If I were in charge of this resort I would promote him to manager he’s so fantastic.
2) Shenlly Matos: Unbelievable person who has high aspirations in life just like Luis. Always greeting with a smile and truly a wonderful bartender at Gabi Club. We miss her too.
3) Julio Moya: Service with a smile and he always made you feel right at home at the pool
4) Antonio (Casino Bar)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew,

Thank you a lot for tanking some of your valuable time to share with us your pleasant comments about your stay last October. We are happy to learn you had beautiful and unforgettable memories of your honeymoon.

I hope you will visit us for your wedding anniversary this year. Please, let us know your next travel dates to recognize you as a frequent guest.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I with our two kids, Steven age 8 and Sydney age 11, stayed at the Reserve- Paradisus Palma Real from June 28th to July 4th and had an amazing experience. We stayed at building 51. Family concierge is definitely the way to go!! My 8 year old son was telling me how much he missed our concierge, Andy Constante, while we were on our plane ride home. Andy spent a couple hours with us on our first day, explaining the hotel to us and giving us a tour of the entire facility. He also found and checked up on us at random places everyday. It was a comfort having him around. Andy booked all our dinners, our spa treatments, kids activities, reserved beach & pool chairs/beds. He picked up and dropped off our kids to their private tennis lessons so my husband and I can go for a massage together. Andy made the kids feel extra special with the surprises and notes he left in our room everyday. Our kids are already telling me that we have to request for Andy the next time we go back, and we will definitely be back!!

The resort is beautiful and clean. There's always people cleaning everywhere. Our room was on the third floor with a view of the pool. It is spacious with Wi-Fi and two flat screen televisions. The balcony has a nice sitting area and a jacuzzi. Housekeeping service at the room is twice a day with turn down service.

We went to the the main hotel everyday and there were many perks for Reserve guests at the main as well, such as a reserve section at beach and no extra charge for Gabi Beach restaurant. Reserve guests also have additional restaurants at the Reserve side to choose from ( Gabi Club, Aqua, Hydro Grill, Mizu). The Kids Zone is located at the Reserve. There's extended age for kids at the Kids Zone (ages 1-12) for Reserve guests. Palma Real guests start at age 5 for Kids Zone. My son had a good time at Kids Zone and joined a few activities. Concierge guests also have unlimited use of the water ritual area at the spa, which my husband loved and took advantage of everyday.

The beach is at the main hotel, you can walk there or get a short ride (a couple of minutes) on a golf cart/van from the Reserve to get there. We never waited more than 2 minutes for a ride, the kids actually love the golf cart rides to and from the main hotel. At the main hotel, there is a section of the beach that is for the Reserve guests only and a section that Family Concierge guests can reserve beach chairs. There's also a separate pool at the main hotel that Family Concierge guests can reserve beds/chairs by the pool. The chairs are nicer with cushions for the Reserve guests. If you rather stay at Reserve side instead of going to main hotel, the pool at the Reserve is very nice as well and you can always find a private section just for your family. I never felt crowded anywhere, main or Reserve section.

Our favorite restaurants for dinner were Aqua and Vento. Market Grill for dinner was good too. We enjoyed lunch at Hydro Grill. Naos had a great selection at the lunch buffet. We were very disappointed at Bana Teppanyaki and Gabi Beach dinners. Bana Teppanyaki had a great show, definitely one of the better ones I seen ( I go to Teppanyaki/Hibachi often in NYC with the kids), and our chef was lively and fun. However, the food was terrible, with very little taste and no dipping sauce. The chef just gives everyone food in order from one end of the table to the other. With my husband at the end of the table and the last one to be served, his medium rare steak was super well-done and inedible. Bana has two other sections of the restaurant that we didn't try and needs to be booked separately, a sushi section and an Asian fusion section. We didn't try Mizu (another Teppanyaki) after the bad dinner at Bana but maybe that would be better. I had grilled lobster at Gabbi Beach, definitely the worst lobster I ever tasted with absolutely no flavor and very dried. The lamb and steak at dinner there weren't great either. Lunch at Gabi Beach was very good. The fishes at all the restaurants were very good, even at the buffet lunch restaurants there were excellent grilled fishes. My son, who would normally never order fish, loved all the grouper (a type of fish that he tried for the first time at DR) dishes at different restaurants. Fruits and fruit juices were very good. Even with a couple of diappointments, overall I thought the food and selection were good. The services at the restaurants were not always consistent for breakfast and lunch but dinner services were always very good. Our favorite waiter was Rafael Perez. He was always so pleasant, attentive, and happy.

I took a pilates class with Angel at the wellness center - love that too!

Although I did have a couple of negative comments, I still want to give the place five stars because our entire family loved this vacation!! Overall service and facilities were excellent. I highly recommend the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real . It was PARADISE!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Families hold a special place in Paradisus called Family Concierge. This service includes extra benefits, services, and special amenities for families! I am grateful for your comments towards Family Concierge staff and services.

Please, share our greetings with Steven and Sydney. Andy already misses them!

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 days/4 nights in June 2013. We had a great experience and were very impressed with how well kept the grounds were- borderline immaculate. Dalmy was our butler/concierge and was very helpful with dinner reservations, confirming transfers to the airport, etc. The time share presentation is not mandatory- politely say you are not interested and move on- it is YOUR vacation after all. The food was above average and notable meals we had were at Gabi Beach for lunch and dinner and Aqua. A special thank you to Hamlet, who it was great meeting at breakfast at Gabi club. He is very well deserving of the promotion he is seeking to work at the other restaurant areas. Hamlet, along with Luis, provide wonderful hospitality and service and are great to speak with. Also, thank you to Julian by the pool for setting us up with towels and drinks. Edward was a great entertainment host and seemed to be everywhere at all shows and events. There are many other staff members who made our great very enjoyable and thank you to all of those we met. We will definitely return here (despite the seemingly ineptly run Punta Cana airport).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your beautiful comment!

I greatly appreciate your comments about our grounds; it is thanks to the hard work of our gardening- as well as our maintenance-staff that we are able to maintain the landscaping this way.

I will share your kind compliments with all my staff.

Cabo Rojo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I would like to thanks all the staff of the Reserve for making our stay so wonderfull. It was a very relaxing stay with my wife and friends. The quality of the food is exceptional as well as the premium drinks which also were included with our stay. You really made us feel special and in the near future will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am glad to learn you have had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceed and that you will return in a near future.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!