“Very nice getaway for a couple” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Save Saved
You added The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #2 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very nice getaway for a couple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Reserve.It was a little romantic get away from our kids. Although many of those around us had their children with them I didn't find that to be a problem. There is a wonderful kiddie pool so it was very easy to find plenty of space without children. The grounds are immaculate and the pools are pristine. There are plenty of cushie lounge chairs and cabana's to find a comfortable spot in the sun or shade.

The staff was outstanding. Everyone was so nice and always greeted you with a smile. Nothing was a problem and when they said "it's my pleasure" I believed them!

We found the food quite good but if your looking for gourmet or consider yourself a "foodie" this may not be for you. There is plenty of choice and fresh options for breakfast and lunch. Dinners were good, not great. I didn't expect great so I wasn't disappointed. The service was always wonderful so it made for an overall wonderful dining experience. We did splurge on the restaurant "Passion". I've done a separate review for that. I wouldn't spend my money there again. It wasn't a bad experience but I was expecting something outstanding for dinner and I left disappointed.

The rooms were huge and well appointed. I found the beds incredibly firm and comfortable.
My boyfriend golfed and said the course was very good. I had two great massages and took a pilates class, all I enjoyed immensely.

The few complaints and I'm sorry if they sound petty. For me, the lighting in the bathroom drove me crazy. It was so dark and shadowy even with every light on. I spoke with 2 other women who said the same so it wasn't just our room. We found it hard to get anyone's attention to get drinks while we were on the beach. (yes we tipped... everyone, all the time) And the bad/ very intermittent wireless connection. Honestly I could have cared less about internet while on vacation but that was a peeve of my boyfriend's.

A few tips. If you head to beach in the afternoon and see chair after chair with a towel on it but nothing else... (no flip flops or magazine holding the the spot) take it. We were on the beach 3 hours and saw tons of towels on prime spot lounging chairs and no one returned to them.
Make your own dinner reservations if possible. If you go to the spa they will give you 10% off the quoted price and if you book a second appt. it's 20%. Ask if they add gratuity. I think I may have double tipped.

Room Tip: Building Q is a closer walk to the beach and very close to the spa.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Lori,

I am very happy to know you had a very nice couple getaway. As you mentioned, The Reserve was designed for both adults and children have fun, enjoy our facilities, and experience the Pure Freedom to Just Be.

I highly appreciate your observations regarding the wifi, the lighting in the room, and services on the beach. You may rest assured that my team has been informed of your particular opinions and that appropriate measures will be taken.

Lori, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and all its natural beauty, its friendly and warm people, and the best service in the area will be waiting for you.

2,172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Review based on traveling to this resort 2x in the past year. First of all, if you are not traveling with kids you might want to stay at the regular Palma Real instead of the Reserve, although it is a good place for couples as well. But this is a great hotel for families with kids since they have a Kids Zone, where you can leave your children all day or for parts of the day for free. Our son was 18 months old the first time we stayed and he was able to nap, eat lunch, play and watch TV all within the facility, it was awesome! The staff also babysit at night for $15 an hour. The pool area at this hotel is also great, one of the pools had various kiddie slides. The staff is friendly and remember your child's name and say hello every time they see them. The beach is a bit of a walk but they offer transportation (golf cart) and the walk is pleasant. At the beach, there is a reserved section for Reserve guests and there are guys there to bring you towels and drinks and food (be sure to tip). The restaurants are all pretty good, but remember its an all-inclusive resort, not the Four Seasons in NYC. Based on that, we mostly ate at the Grill by the pool where the chef is great and will make anything you want a la carte. The rooms are all suites with plenty of space to feel very comfortable even with kids running around. The rooms we got had balconies with hot-tubs and the mini bar is stoked with beers and soft drinks and you can always call for room service if you run out of anything. Overall, this hotel is a great value if you are looking for a beautiful resort in the Caribbean, especially if you are traveling with kids and would like the convenience of having someone caring for them while you have some adult fun or relaxation. One last thing, if you want a better experience make sure you tip the right people as soon as you get there and they will make sure you are always taken care of.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your family getaway for the second time. It makes me happy to know that in both stays we were able not only to meet but to exceed your expectations.

The Paradise waits for your third stay!

Windham, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a fantastic time at The Reserve. We were hoping for rest and relaxation while traveling with our two children (twins 7 years old). The accommodations were amazing and the resort property providing luxury with lots of private places to relax around the three pools.

Juan Peguero and Julian Cabrera always took care of bringing food and drinks to us by the pool with a smile. Our amazing Family Concierge, Cesare, made the vacation complete. We'd definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am happy to know that in The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real you have found a special place to have an amazing and unforgettable stay and I would like to thank you for appreciating the warmth and dedication of Juan Peguero and Julian Cabrera. I have personally passed on your compliments to both of them.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we look forward to host your next stay in the near future.

Kind regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spent a week at the resort. The Reserve is more private and secluded than Palma Real, which is a 3 min golf cart ride away. The Reserve is the best option. Food at various restaurants and daily buffet was fantastic, accommodations are wonderful.
Our family was here for 1 week. The resort is absolutely beautiful - great workout facilties, and Felix is a great bartender.

Our stay at The Reserve was extraordinary, primarily due to the help of our concierge, Staban Roque. Everyone is very courteous and friendly but Mr. Roque is the best there is. Extremely attentive, and very interested in seeing that all of your needs are met. Everything become smooth and easy, once Mr Roque is assigned to you. If you want a great trip to become the perfect vacation, ask for Staban.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Our devotedness is to provide the highest quality service level beyond our guest expectations, and it is a real pleasure to learn we were able to exceed your expectations. I am grateful for your kind comments o the service received from Staben Roque. I will personally pass on your compliments to him.

The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you back for a next amazing vacation.

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The positives:

Very friendly people, and very nice property. Mosquitos were not a problem while we were there. Abundant food around the clock, prompt room service.

The negatives:

The same company has two almost identically named hotels (and both with a "Reserve"), in approximately the same apart of the island, but about 15 minutes apart, so it's a toss up if you will be delivered to the right place when taking transportation from the airport. After a long day and or night of travel, confusion and additional delay before getting to your room is most unwelcome. Say the EXACT name of the place you are staying. Do not figure they got it right if they say something that sounds approximately right and in the right part of town.

Guest Services often failed to answer the phone for an hour at a time. Room cleaning was unreliable. Pool towels were in short supply.

Restaurant reservations were required for every dinner, and were sometimes not properly made. The food was low to medium grade restaurant quality, not at all resort quality.

WiFi was unbearably intermittent and was horribly slow at best, even for plain text emails.

Overall:

Not a horrible experience if your main goal is just to relax, and the sheer friendliness of the local culture comes through and counts for a lot, but as infrequent and expensive as vacations are, you can get a better experience at other resorts I have been to, including in Mexico. To be fair though, I have no point of comparison in the Dom. Rep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Hearing that you will not be returning to our hotel saddens us a lot do to the fact that we work very hard every day to make our guests return home satisfied and that instead of being seen as guests at our hotel, start to join our wonderful family composed by our incredible and friendly staff.

Please, receive my sincerest apologies if we were not able to meet your expectations. I assure you, that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to change your perception about our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We've spent a marvelous time at the Reserve Palma Real. It is a 5* luxurious resort in a private area part of the Paradisus main hotel. 20 min from the airport. We've already been to Punta Cana before in the Bavaro resort which was good, but this one is definitely much much better!

CONTEXT
We went there with 2 kids (1 and 4).
We stayed in the Reserve section of the Paradisius Palma Real.
We had the family Concierge package.
Resort + young family = we were not here for excursions or activities, just relax and spend good time with kids.

FIRST DAY
Upon arrival we received a nice welcome by the Family Concierge manager Marina, which patiently explained everything we needed to know, then told us that we got a free double upgrade to the Master suite with private patio: awesome! We were also given a cell phone in order to contact our family concierge assistant at any time.
Once arrived at our room we received a package with tons of free products (baby lotion, baby cologne, baby massage, anti mosquitoes lotion, soap, shampoo, sunscreen, tooth brush and tooth paste, ...).
Note that with Family Concierge you also get free items for kids: swimsuit, bath robe, slippers, cap, tshirts, painting book and color pencils, toys, ...

FAMILY CONCIERGE
We were hesitant to pay the extra $ for this service while booking the travel. But it was definitely worth it. We never had to worry about booking restaurants, coordinating in-room babysitting, finding a place at the beach or booking activities and spa, changing money, ... our concierge Mayra took care of all this!
We forgot to bring the baby beach toys... she found some for us a few hours later. She also organized some surprises for our kids every day, including a wonderful “Fun in the bath” preparation of the Jacuzzi!
When arriving at the Reserve, you get a cell phone that you can use to contact your assistant anytime. Need a ride back from the beach or a specific item in your room? just call!

ROOM
The Master Suite with private garden is amazing!
Very large room with dining room, bedroom and 2 bathrooms. Those rooms are at the floor level with beautiful patio and private garden, palapas and 2 jacuzzis (one indoor and one outdoor). There are 2 maid service per day so the room is always fresh and clean.
The fridge is stocked with beverages every day, you also get 3 bottles of alcohol (local rum, vodka, and whiskey) and snacks, all free of course.

RESORT
The Reserve is a small sub section of the main hotel, so it is not too big (only 190 rooms) and there are enough lounge chairs for everyone. You will never have to search for an empty chair at the pool!
The property is stunning, beautiful, clean and very well maintained.
We were pleasently surpised that all outdoor furniture are premium quality and in suffisant number compared to the number of rooms, you can find comfy palapas literaly everywhere, no plastic chairs here! I wouldn't be surprise to learn that the ratio is at least 1 palapas per room.
Staff is awesome, extremelly friendly and always smiling, and I mean ALL the staff, maid, waiters, room service, security guards, gardeners, beach boys, ...
WiFi available everywhere.
The YHI Spa is gorgeous but massages are overpriced! There is a gym with modern workout machines.

BEACH
The beautiful well known Bavaro beach... there is a private section of the beach for people at the Reserve. Plenty of space and palapas available for everyone. You need to know that unlike the main hotel, the Reserve is located at a 15 minutes walk from the beach. But shuttles are doing the ride to and from the hotel all the time.

FOOD
Plenty of options for restaurants, and healthy food is easy to find with great selection of vegetables, fresh fish and fruits. With 7 restaurants you can try a different each evening in a week. We really liked the Mizu (Teppanyaki show), Gabi Beach and the Vento. We also had to try the Passion (not free), the 7 stars Michelin signature restaurant, exquisite food and impeccable service. But other restaurants are so awesome that I don't think we would pay 150$ for the Passion again, as you can have very good diners in free restaurants.
The buffet at Gabi Club is spectacular!! Every morning or lunch there was a real pleasure.
Like every resorts bars are everywhere, we loved the fact that unlike in Cuba, here you can get cocktails with real juice.

KID'S CLUB
The Kid's zone is unbelievable!! Open for 1 to 12 years old kids of Paradisus guests, but it is exclusive to the Reserve for babies and kids aged less than 5. We chose this hotel for the kids club, it is a vast area (725m2) with modern equipment, offering activities like.

GOLF
Cocotal golf is a great course just next door to the hotel entrance. It is free for resort guests, but you have to pay 40$ for the cart and an extra 40$ is you need clubs...

CONCLUSION
We spent really delicious vacations at the Reserve.
My GF who is not a typical "resort girl" loved it and told me that we should stay 2 weeks next time... I couldn't agree more.
We particularly loved the fact that the Reserve is a small private section of the main Paradisus hotel, so less people and less noise, no problem to find lounge chairs at pool of beach, an excellent service and great food. The Family Concierge service is a must if you bring kids.

Room Tip: We booked for a standard room, but I think we were lucky to get the Master Suite because I gently as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you and your best friend had an exceptional stay at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of some of our staff members. You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Kind regards,

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had destination wedding at this property. I can proudly say that we were more than impressed as were all of our guests. We stayed at Reserve side of the property where there are swim up rooms available. The pictures don't do the rooms justice, they were very clean and new. The service was beyond excellent. Some of the food was just ok, I have to say the Japanese steakhouse as Gabi were fantastic. I can't comment too much as I never saw the personally but we did have a family member stay in the Royal Service and thought it was a complete waste of money, their butler showed up at check in only never to be heard from again. Never showed up to the room, and didn't make reservations when requested. Also he said our rooms were much nicer and cleaner. We did leave to change resorts and went to Barcelo,Deluxe after checking in and exploring for about hour we grabbed a few drinks and walked back to the Palma Real. As we stepped back on the property it is almost unexplainable as you feel so much more welcomed. (We canceled the our next week booking at Barcelo and went to Paradisus Punta Cana simply for a change. Don't go there!! See my review for them.) Lets say I wish we just stayed at the Palma Real. Everything was perfect!!

Room Tip: If staying in the reserve go for the swim up room upgrade. Also ignore the timeshare, just tell the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and other travelers. It is a real pleasure to learn your stay was a unique and unforgettable one.

The Paradise waits for you!

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!