“Super nice resort! Service was...ok...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #34 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Los Angeles, California
“Super nice resort! Service was...ok...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The resort it self is awesome right on the beach and always clean! The service though was a ok. Not excellent or good. The buffet was so good! Yes repetitive but with so many selections you hardly ever eat anything twice. One thing that really bugged me was the coupons they give you in the beginning are useless. I used a coupon to to go a french a la carte restaurant that is not included with another coupon for champagne. When I gave them to the waiter at the end her said I should give it to them at check out. When I did they said it they weren't valid because the coupons were only for la cava (even though it clearly stated la comedie also) and the champagne for only a specific type of champagne. My husband and I could both clearly see that she was making that up because she couldn't find how to apply the discounts. I didn't want to argue with her because I knew it wasn't gonna get me anywhere and I had to catch my flight. Other than that everything was pretty good! Also I stayed in building 8000 yes faraway from everything but I didn't mind so much. Be prepared to walk a lot it is a huge resort but definitely one of the nicest!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for having chosen Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe as your holiday destination. It is pleasant to know that you could enjoy your stay in our hotel. We are pleased to hear you had a delightful stay and that our facilities and gastronomy were of your liking.

We are very sorry for the uncommon situations you encountered. Be assured that we never cease in our efforts to achieve the total satisfaction of our guests.

Hope that when returning to the Dominican Republic you will choose us once again to provide you memorable holidays.

Javier Cordero,
General Manager Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe

5,612 people have reviewed this hotel

2060
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kendall, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

this is an amazing place, we are celebrating our anniversary, we love coming here every year the rooms are expectacular the service is always with a smile specially araceli she is the best, she knows how to make you feel welcome and the premiun team they are an asset to this hotel,every thing here you can describe with one word EXCELLENT.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having selected our Resort as your holiday destination. We appreciate your preference.

It is a pleasure to know that we have met your expectations and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal. Knowing we reached this goal in your recent stay is very rewarding for all our hard working staff members and it will reinforce their commitment to provide quality service to all of our guests.

We wish to welcome you back in our little Caribbean paradise!

Stone Mountain, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just returned home two days ago after a 5-day stay. The wife and I are not big complainers - we tend to go with the flow - but this visit left a bitter taste in our mouths. The place was beautiful, the excursions were ok, our room was great (the shower exceptional), great golf course view. However, the food was mediocre, the place was way too big, the drinks were watered down, and some of the staff was downright horrible. Example, I had on a $300 all-white linen outfit that came to my mid-calf and the manager would not let me into the seafood restaurant because he said I had on shorts - all the while letting people pass me by wearing ragged jeans!!

We were there with a group of about 30 and none spoke of ever wanting to return.

Don't break your neck trying to get there - this place needs a management overhaul and an attitude adjustment by staff.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the adults only section.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First, we may thank you for the time taken to write us your impressions about our resort.

We are very sorry not have met your expectations at all and that we were not able to provide you a delightful stay. Please be assured that all your comments and suggestions are taken in highly consideration with the aim of better service to our valued guest.

We hope your recent experience will not deter you from considering Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe on a return visit to Dominican Republic and we would be grateful to have the opportunity to restore your faith.

Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went to this resort to celebrate my 55th birthday. Last minute decision. Booked on Wednesday left on Friday for a reasonable price. Searched the internet and this one presented as a classy resort where I could have a great time. Man was that an under statement!! !This trip was special from the time I exited the cab. I went to check in and was escorted to the Premium Lounge was seated given a drink and checked in.... like royalty.... REALLY!!! ASK JULIO WHO ENSURED THAT I HAD THE BEST ACCOMMODATIONS ON THE RESORT (AT LEAST I FELT THAT WAY) IN MY MASTER SUITE WATER FRONT APARTMENT LOL. i wanted to scream when I walked in. Now I have owned several timeshares with my husband in the States, Caribbean and Mexico and this was my first vacation since being single again and I tell you....THOSE PLACES HAVE NOTHING ON THIS RESORT. it was worth the additional cost to join the premium club: all the restaurants were included, the room service taxes , gratuities snacks wet bar towels I mean there was nothing that you needed that was not there for you. Julio said he was going to make this a special time for me but what he did was make it the best time i have ever had. I stayed five days and did not find the need to leave the resort. i went to four restaurants (RECOMMEND THE SPANISH AND THE ITALIAN FOR THE FOOD AND AMBIENCE AND THE FRENCH FOR AMBIENCE AND GREAT LOOKING MEN!!!! LOLLOL.) i went to the shows the casinos ( and yes i did win.... and lose more winning though) went shopping went to the spa went to the pool (no kids yeahhh) the beach but most of all i did a great deal of lounging. i have told everyone I know about this place and I cant wait to get back. This is going to be my once a year getaway. Thanks to all the staff that I had contact with and especially Julio!!
ALENA THOMAS

Room Tip: Go for the water fornt Why go all the way to the DR and not look at the water. Also if all adults ge...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valued time to share your kind review in TripAdvisor since the opinion of our guests is very important and assistance to us. Thanks also for recommend us and for having chosen Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe to celebrate your 55th anniversary. It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our Club Premium services and facilities; and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay.

We will pass your nice comments to Julio, who will be happy to hear from you. At Barceló Hotels & Resorts we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal with you.

We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Javier Cordero
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

we went with my husband and our 2 year old son for a week. the resort is amazing. Clean, large, lots of restaurants to pick from, polite staff! 7 ala card restaurants that we didn't bother with cause the 2 buffets by the pool were great with good and different food every day.
two pools with staff for the kids, my son loved it. 2 huge adults pools with Jacuzzi areas.
amazing beach with white sand - again clean.
Big rooms - we had the junior suite deluxe with one king size bed... partial view to the beach and a Jacuzzi at the balcony.
no issues with towels- we were changing them twice during the day.
just take a lot of sunscreen lotion and mosquito bite - nothing else. they have shampoo-conditioner and shower gel in the bathroom, they have raisers, toothbrush and toothpaste, bath romps.
a great auditorium that had nice shows every night and before that it had interactive entertainment for the kids with dancing and games.

NOTE: if you want to get cigars and souvenirs, there is a small local shopping center right after the hotel from the adults side...just get on the beach and walk to left....DO NOT FORGET TO BARGAIN, and walk around before you buy anything!!!!!!
there are stores in the hotel but are very expensive.

Room Tip: Junior Suite deluxe at the 2nd building. we had a 2 years old baby with us and i thought it was a li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our pool and beach, which is one of the top ten in the world. It is a pleasure to know that our gastronomy, services and facilities were of your liking. Thanks also for your valued time to make this review since the opinion of our guests is very important and assistance to us.

We wish to welcome you back to our Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe Hotel.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I won't claim to be the world's most seasoned traveler, but having grown up in an American Airlines family I can certainly say I've been more places than the average traveler. That being said, I have many good things to say about this property - but the bad outweighs the good by FAR.

I'll start with the good:

1) The facility is beautiful, well maintained and very enjoyable to stay within on an aesthetic level. The housekeepers, bartenders and service staff were all very friendly. Very few of the staff speaks any English, which I didn't mind as I speak Spanish very well. They all try to help you more if you at least attempt to speak Spanish, but my girlfriend (who doesn't speak any Spanish) found they were rather rude if I wasn't around to translate. In regards to management, they were the most rude and least customer satisfaction driven crew I've ever encountered - but I'll detail that below. This resort caters mainly to South American and Central American clientele than to US clients. Not that I mind this in ANY way, but Americans probably comprised less than 10% of the customers in the resort.

2) The beach is gorgeous. Crystal clear water, hardly any under toe, pure white sand, etc. No complaints there.

3) The pool is great too. Clean and clear. Swim up bar was very convenient, and the pools are located centrally to the restaurants and lobby.

4) The airport, town and area are very clean. I have been to many 3rd world countries, and I was extremely impressed with the infrastructure and cleanliness that they have there. I was not expecting it to be this nice. It reminded me a lot of Hawaii in how clean it was.

Now for the bad, and it's BAD:

1) The management is the worst and most rude I have ever encountered. I'll start with the Casino. The first night I won $300, the 2nd night about $200. That's when things got..... weird. On our 3rd night my girlfriend was playing a slot machine. The lady next to her (on an identical machine) hit a spin which paid $150. Less than 3 minutes later my girlfriend hit the EXACT same spin, but the machine didn't pay. We brought it to the attention of the casino manager, who proceeded to call us liars and tell us we were owed nothing. He even called the lady who had won, and was still sitting next to us, a liar after she confirmed our story. The manager refused to review the slot machine history or security video footage.

I didn't want to return to the casino after that, but my girlfriend had been having a good time so we did go back. I went back to blackjack and her to the slots. When I sat down at the table I noticed nothing unusual until they changed the dealer. The new dealer didn’t cycle the used cards as they should have been, instead of putting them all on the side until the deck was done the dealer sometimes would put cards on the side and other times cycle them directly back into the machine. Then they also changed out the auto-shuffle machine for an old school card dispenser and had the dealer shuffling by hand. As soon as that happened the dealer hit blackjack or 20 ten plus times in a row, while I received a 12, 13 or 14 every time during the same span. When I questioned the new shuffling method I was told “it is our right to shuffle how we want”. Now, I understand it’s gambling and I’m not a sore loser, but something was very fish. I stood up and went to the slot my girlfriend was at. She told me that she had hit the jackpot twice on the machine she was on, but each time a casino representative had come over to talk to her/distract her while the machine was crediting the jackpot. After she refocused on the machine each time she had 0 credits remaining. We again questioned the management, but were essentially told we were stupid. I even heard them talking amongst themselves in Spanish, they must not have realized I understood them. They were insulting us very badly. This is the most blatantly rigged casino I have ever been in, I HIGHLY recommend avoiding it like the plague. If you win you get marked, no doubt in my mind.

2) We left the casino and went to the gift shop to buy my girl a new dress for that evening. The zipper on the one we bought broke within 5 minutes of her putting it on and would not stay zipped. When we tried to return it we were told no returns and had to fight to even get a store credit.

3) The food at the buffets is atrocious, be very careful in what you select. My girl and I both got sick several times during the course of our trip. That being said, the specialty restaurants are excellent (except the Spanish themed one called “La Fuente”). The Japanese restaurant is the best, I highly recommend it. The 24 hour sports bar called Strikers has a buffet, AVOID IT!!!! The food is always cold, and we both got sick the two times we ate there.

4) The disco isn’t anything special in itself, it’s just a big dance hall. We went in for a drink and my girl ordered a rum drink. The bartender responded with “I have a special drink for you”, and proceeded to disappear into the back room. He came back with what he called a Mai Tai. He was very odd, just in how he acted and how much he wanted her to drink it. She took a couple sips, but didn’t like it. We left just to get out of the noise, and within a couple minutes she felt very dizzy and sick. I have no evidence, but I strongly believe he drugged her drink. She believes the same.

5) The first night we were here our door opened at 10 AM without even a knock. We had been up late and were still in bed, though I happened to be awake at the time. When it opened I asked who was there. I then heard someone running away from the room and went to investigate. There was no maid cart outside the room, nor any evidence anyone had been there who should have been. The ‘Do not disturb’ sign had also been removed from my door knob and was nowhere to be found. It happened a second time the night before we left at about 7:30 pm. Just a theory, but if we hadn’t been in the room I think we would have been robbed. There was no reason for any hotel staff to be entering our room at those points in time. Make sure your valuables are always locked in the safe if you aren’t at your room; otherwise you risk never seeing them again.

6) The coupons you receive at check-in are a SHAM. None of them fully disclose the terms, every time we attempted to use one we were told that either the service/item we wanted wasn’t available with the coupon as it was advertised or that the price was actually double what was advertised. There is no truth in advertising here.

7) If you want good alcohol ask for it by name (I.E. Johnny Walker), otherwise you end up with the local stuff - which is like drinking lighter fluid.

In closing, the grounds and facility are beautiful. The problem is the management, they seem to think Americans are stupid and seem to have genuine disdain for us. Being as this resort caters to a much broader international market then most they must just dislike Americans, I can’t think of any other reason for the poor quality of service we received.

As I mentioned earlier I have been all over the world, and to some very rough countries….I have never experienced such poor treatment by the staff at a resort. It seems as if they don’t care about customer satisfaction nearly as much as their bottom line. As a result I will never visit another Barcelo resort again, there are far too many competitors out there to accept the horrible service we received. When I checked out I voiced my complaints to the general manager, who said “sorry, but there’s nothing I can do” and walked away. If you’re going to Punta Cana, try a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First, we may thank you for the time taken to write us your experience at our Resort. It is pleasant to hear that our pool and beach, which is one of the top ten in the world, were of your liking.

We regret not having met your expectations as you deserved. This is very disconcerting because we strive for consistency and excellence with regards to our service levels. We are extremely disappointed to hear about the service issues you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that we will never cease in our efforts to achieve the total satisfaction of our guest.

Our main goal is the satisfaction of our guests, so we hope despite of the uncommon circumstances you may have encountered you could give us another possibility in the future to demonstrate you our commitment to excellent service.

Easton, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I took my family to vacation in Punta Cana to Barcelo Bavaro from August 17-23. We hoped to have a nice relaxing vacation. Our vacation was anything but that. Our check in was supposed to be at 3:00 PM our rooms weren't ready until 7:30PM. With 3 kids you can't imagine how frustrating that is. We went to a sport bar restaurant only to find dirty dishes and ice cold food. When you complain about it they pretend they don't speak English. If you have children and you are going here which I don't recommend don't expect the employees to serve your children because the children don't tip. And in the buffet restaurant if you don't speak Spanish you get terrible service.
Housekeeping service really nightmare. When I moved into the room after waiting 4 1/2 hours I found blood on my bed sheets and dirt marks. I complained and they finally show up 9:00 to change the sheets and they act as if you are doing a big favor. Almost every day I have to call the front desk and ask to come and clean the room and get clean towel.
It is really a 2 star resort.

Room Tip: If you wanna enjoy your family trip look for a better resort for your money and time.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for not having met your expectations; we strive to create the best possible experience for our guests. We are extremely disappointed to hear about the service and housekeeping issues you encountered throughout your stay, this certainly does not reflect the overall service that we are recognized for. Please be assured that we will never cease in our efforts to achieve the total satisfaction of our guests.

We hope you might consider returning to the hotel in the future. There is nothing that makes us feel better than to have the opportunity to welcome you and demonstrate you our commitment to excellent service.

General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!