“Great time in a great hotel !-” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #34 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
“Great time in a great hotel !-”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 11 day stay with my partner and 13 yr old daughter. Large beautifully kept hotel outstanding pools and immaculate gardens .our room was clean and well equipped,although bathroom door was not really suitable( open wooden slats) check in was ok but not great, bit of a language barrier with all staff, would be helpful to brush up on your Spanish before you come! Vouchers received on arrival were a waste of time. Beach an- d the free activities/water sports available were very good with plenty to keep the kids happy.Although I think the charge for the water park was unnecessary.food in the buffet restaurant was very good but a little repetitive.overall we were very happy with our holiday and would recommend this hotel,having stayed in the DR 5/6 times before -the Riu bamboo and The grand Bahia,this hotel was slightly better.

• Stayed August 2013
Director_BBPD, Director General at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share this kind comment about our hotel. Thank you very much! We are pleased that we were able to provide you a delightful stay and that we met your expectations. It is a pleasure for us to know that the room accommodation, the facilities, the services and the restaurants were of your liking. In the same way, thank you for your observations in order to improve our services and to let us know that you recommend us as ideal place for vacation.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel in the future!

5,584 people have reviewed this hotel

2046
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

First time we have experienced all-inclusive. It was fabulous. Each room is outfitted with comfortable beds, full refrigerators (all free drinks and food which gets stocked daily), and a hot tub on each balcony. Endless cocktails and lots to do! You don't get hassled to buy activities like in some other Caribbean countries but if you do want to do something and don't want to go by whatever their pre-packaged ideas are....you tell them and they deliver! The rooms was so comfy and there were so many restaurants and bars to choose from...it never got old. The staff always said hello and smiled. We really enjoyed our stay and would never stay anywhere else after this fabulous experience.

Room Tip: Since you never pay for alcohol, food or otherwise...save up and get a suite....BY FAR the best deci...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for visiting Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe!
We are very pleased and happy after reading your review and discovering how much you enjoyed during your past stay here in our premises. We also appreciate that you have taking your time to post your kind review; it is always a pleasure to receive our guest appreciation of our services and facilities.

We are glad to know that our staff made you feels welcomed and comfortable as it is our priority.

Findlay, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was there August 12-17. This was my third trip to the DR and this facility was a decent third to Hard Rock and Iberostar - the other two resorts I have stayed (admittedly Hard Rock is much more expensive). I agree with some of the more recent reviews in that the grounds are well maintained, the food is good, but something is missing here.

Our check-in was not as bad as others have experienced but we had challenges. We arrived a little after noon and had to wait 3 hours or so for our room (this was expected). Once we got in our room, we had several problems: (1) the TV did not work, (2) the safe did not work, and (3) the fan did not work. All were fixed that first day but did not get us off on the right foot.

The buffets are good but the staff is focused on clearing tables and you get virtually no service. The maid service is spotty. For a family of 3 we struggled to get 3 wash cloths and 3 towels every day. We had a couple of days where they did not refill the mini refrigerator. None of these were the end of the world events but annoying.

We were in a junior suite (room 5343) and had a view of the beach but simply because our room jutted out a little more than the others in our section. The room is an odd layout for a family. We had our college aged son with us and you get no privacy. The toilet and shower doors open to the sink/closet - no separation from the living space. Again, not the end of the world but creates some uncomfortableness. I think all of the junior suites have jacuzzis on the patio.

The pools, chairs, etc. were great. Seems to have plenty of chairs available. The beach is good but did not seem as big as I recall from the other 2 DR resorts. The seaweed is a slight eyesore but they work hard on the clean up process. In walking through the seaweed it is liking walking through cut grass. If you leave the resort controlled beach the vendors can be aggressive, especially if you walk up to the "shopping center" like we did once.

Overall, a good facility but I think the DR has better options available at comparable costs.

Room Tip: Section 5 is a good location being equidistant to pools and restaurants/main lobby.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe.

We take comments such as yours seriously as we are constantly looking to improve and to provide an experience to our guests which is memorable. But in your case, we are very sorry that we seem to have fallen short of your expectations. We are glad to read that the ambiance, our gastronomy and landscaping were of your liking.

As concerns your comments in regards of lack of service you describe to have encountered during your stay with us, we are taking care with the involved departments to discuss them as improvements. We also try to stay competitive with other luxury hotels on the island throughout continuous improvement in the quality of the services offered and in the pursuit of excellence.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back and that we will be able to create that memorable experience that we strive to offer our guests.
Until then I remain with warm regards from the island of the Caribbean.

Flemington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our 4th consecutive years visiting a Barceló property. The first three were in the Riviera Maya at the Colonial/Tropical property. Let me start by saying that the Palace Deluxe property itself is amazing! It is a huge complex, and the attention to detail throughout the physical aspect is top notch.
We found the service to be very spotty, especially in the food service areas.
It was at times difficult to get service during breakfast and lunch, silverware was not always available on the tables as well.
I also found that there was a lot of chipped chinaware, which I was not expecting in such a highly rated property.
As far as our room, there was a burnt out light bulb during the entire stay. The tv remote did not work, and we never received any moisture cream until I finally asked the housekeeper. We thought that the service would be equal to or better than the Mexican properties, since this is the premier brand of the Barceló family. We overheard many guests with the same comments as our experiences, and felt that the overall service experience was not what was expected.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe and for prefers our hotel Chain as your holiday destination. Your opinion is very important for us and we are pleased, that despite some of the issues mentioned, in general our facilities were to your liking. However, we regret that we were not able to fulfill your expectations at all. But we assure you, that we are continuously working on improving our services and that we will take all your suggestions and observations into consideration.

We hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you again in our Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe Hotel!

Malaga, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I read many Tripadvisor reviews before booking, and I found most of them to be accurate. The compound was beautiful, immense and well kept. There was definitely a language barrier, especially with the servers. I speak passable Spanish, therefore I did all communicating. You are decidedly on your own, if you have an issue. We all either picked up a bug,or the water the produce was washed in made us ill. We asked for water bottles to be delivered to our rooms, twice, no one ever showed up. A tropical storm was due to hit the Dominican,and we were told to stay in our rooms. Of course the person who delivered the notice didn't speak English, so my husband couldn't ask questions. We also had an issue, with the tour company. I had to fight with them to return our money, from an excursion. The representative never bothered to point out the fine print on the back of the paper, regarding the cancellation policy. I called to cancel as soon as we realized we had some sort of bug/food related illness. It was too late to cancel I was told. Well how can one know to cancel before one becomes ill? Besides which our tour was scheduled during the time the hotel had told us to stay in our rooms. Olympus Tours was only worried about taking our money , not pointing out the important details of our excursion. How could we go on a trip, away from a toilet? Seriously! It is difficult enough being sick away from home, in a foreign country, we didn't need to fight over a refund! They finally relented and credited my card, only because I told the tour rep. that I had disputed the almost $600 charge with the credit card company. Melissa from Olympus Tours worked to sell me additional tours, yet did not feel it was worth mentioning the cancellation policy. She told me to tip, even though it was an all inclusive, again not bothering to protect our best interest. Olympus tours was only concerned with parting us from our $$$. We would never deal with them again! Arguing with her added stress to an already stressful situation. All in all, between Olympus Tours, the illness, and the food, I feel I could have just put all those thousands of dollars in a pile and dropped a match on it.

The food was most assuredly quantity over quality, even in the sit down restaurants. One review on tripadvisor said it was because Americans only eat hamburgers. I am an American, and i assure you we rarely eat hamburgers. I am an amateur chef, so I do understand what it takes to prepare and feed large amounts of people, but the food wasn't well prepared, and too much salt in everything! Most of the staff was very friendly, and as I mentioned the hotel and grounds were immaculate.

Also a warning for other American families. I am not a prudish American, but there were quite a few topless mothers with their topless daughters on the beach. If I wanted this, I would have went to a clothing optional resort.

Finally the airport. We waited In line two hours, to check in two bags. Many of the check in kiosks were down. The same guy was at the counter for 45 min. People actually cheered when he left. The US Airways employees waited until after this to open another counter, and then they allowed the back of the line to jump in front of the first line of passengers. We would have missed our flight, had it not been delayed. Did I mention there was no air conditioning? We didn't have time to buy a snack or use the bathroom. We had to get right into line for the bus, which finally took us to our plane. Yuck!

We have been to five or six other Caribbean Islands, and other all inclusive resorts. This was the most expensive and most disappointing. My advice pick another island, If you can't, choose a smaller resort. The only problem for us was this was the only resort that had the room type we needed for the amount of people in my family. It was a stressful, not so relaxed vacation we would not care to repeat.

Leslie P.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We regret the situations you encountered during your stay at our resort. We are very disappointed of your comment since is not our intention created the memory you have about your stay with us. The main objective of Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe is the entire satisfaction of our valued guests and that they do not have any desire unfulfilled. We regret that we did not achieve this goal with you.

We hope despite of the uncommon circumstances you may have encountered during your stay, you could give us another possibility in the future to demonstrate you our commitment to excellent service.

Jersey City,NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was here Aug 9-15, with 2 other couples and it was their first time in DR. The grounds are beautiful and kept clean. The food was excellent. The customer service was horrible. From the moment we attempted to check in we knew it wasn't going to be a good day. Upon check in the manager Jose Jacob fed me this lie about being upgraded to a beach front room with Premium privileges, what he didn't say was that it was going to be next door in their sister property. After making our way to this beach front room and walking for about 10minutes we get there to find old run down rooms facing the ocean. We were given our keys and couldn't get into the rooms because housekeeping and maintenance were in them. I got to look in and went back to the front desk to speak to another manager. Of course at this point they are blaming me for agreeing to this upgrade. I requested the room I paid for and wanted some other perk for the disappointment and no one can assist me with this because again it was my fault I agreed to upgrade. I finally got to the room I paid for and to my surprise its OCCUPPIED!!!! There was luggage and clothing all over the room. I go back to the desk and they just simply apologized and gave me another room. This time its a room with 2 small full size beds. I was so aggravated and couldn't face the front reception again because at this point it was pure stupidity. My first night there my husband and I had to sleep in separate beds because we couldn't fit on one. Mind you we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. Which in this particular resort they don't do anything special for you unless you pay$$$. I spoke to the General Manager and the only thing said we to check everyday for a different room. I think another approach could have been taken on their behalf especially with all the mistakes. I've been to many resorts in Punta Cana I will definitely never go back or recommend this place. Also they suck with entertainment. Their daily entertainment is lame. The night shows are horrible. It is NOT kid friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciated that you selected us as your holiday destination and please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you may encountered while stayed with us. We can assure you that we will be giving the matters the proper attention and that the corrective measures will be taken to avoid these situations from reoccurring. We further regret that you felt your requests were not attended properly or in a timely manner since all our efforts are focus in achieve our guests’ entire satisfaction. We are deeply sorry for not having met your expectations at this point.

We would like to invite you to visit us a second time, and give us the opportunity to demonstrate you our commitment to excellence service and guests’ satisfaction as our top priority.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Club Premium denotes to me a higher level of service and accommodation.
Our experience was the opposite.
Club premium in my opinion is definitely not worth the extra money. Make sure you understand what your getting for the extra money !!!!
If you require more than one room .... say a king connected to a double/double you may not get it ...we never did. Once we arrived we were told to read the fine print on the reservation which gives them the right to put you wherever they want.The first night our teenage daughter was on a different floor with our son.... not the end of the world but not the way to start a family vacation.
For the remainder of the visit we were assigned two adjacent king bedded rooms which were not connected. So instead of my children having two double beds they had to share a king bed.
Again not the end of the world but ....my children are college age so not the best set up for them...and my wife spent the first full day and a half dealing with room issues. Unacceptable!!
So much for Club Premium....!
Everything seemed to be rationed here ....no kidding...to get extra wash cloths or bath towels required an act of congress.
Each day one of the room keys would malfunction... some days multiple times. On the third night after returning to the front desk twice because the door would not open ....the desk attendant actually said he had run out of the credit card keys....arghhh our room tv was a hunk of junk....you really had to think hard about changing the channel....the tv rarely responded to the remote control. arghhh!
Also make sure you find out how much it is to play golf before you book....the green fees are not the whole story !!! Find out the charges for club rental, carts, balls ect.

The fact that we had paid extra for Club Premium made no difference. So buyer beware...!!

I was so unhappy with the service and food at this place that I was literally ready to leave by the 3rd day. Most of the food was just edible at best...by the 3rd day I had eaten 6 cheeseburgers from the beach club because I could at least see the meat before they cooked it watch it cook on the grill.

We should have went back to Maui :) If your looking for a hotel that really gets it ...try the Makena Beach and Golf Resort in Maui :) they will not disappoint !

We will never return !

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe as destination for your family vacation.

We are deeply disappointed to read about the service issues you experienced throughout your stay and that we fell short of your expectations and our own standards in the areas you have highlighted.

We assure you that not reflect at all the customer service Barceló Resorts is renowned for, due guest´s satisfaction is our top-notch priority.
Howsoever it is clear that our service did not meet your expectations or our desired standards. Again, our apologies and please know that we took note of your remarks and we will be reviewing your experience with the appropriate executive department heads to ensure they are aware of these shortcomings.

We do hope that this experience has not permanently tarnished your opinion of us and that we will have the opportunity in the future to regain your confidence with a memorable stay in our Resort. Our deep apologies once again.

General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!