“Punta Cana trip #11” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #31 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago il
“Punta Cana trip #11”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I can not say enough about this place. I have been to the DR many many times and have stayed at several resorts but this by far is the best. First of all people you have to realize you are in the Caribbean and not New York, so if you are looking for a great relaxing vacation this is it but if you have come down to be a food critic and complain about all the food like others then you better revaluate your priorities. The food is good and there is enough variety. Great coffee!!! We were there 18 days and loved the Japanese the best. We ate there 5 times. Go see the bartender in the lobby of the Japeneese place and his name is Johnathan and again mention us. Great time..

The staff is more then accommodating. Our room was ALWAYS clean and totally stocked. We tipped the house keeping only about 3$ per day and had more then enough service. Always enough water an plenty of clean towels.

Entertainment was fun. Fernando and Santos were awesome. Even when it rained for a bit they were right there making us have fun. Mention the Cuban from Chicago (Kristian and Angela) with the tattoos and for sure they will make sure you have a great time.......

Another good idea is the duty free for liquor. Of course being there for so many days you do get tired of the drinks but this place saved us...get a bottle of what u want and take it down to the pool and have a great time..

If you want trips PLEASE GO SEE "GRINGO"..he is located down the beach to the left right before the shops. See attached pictures of his partner Mike. Same trips as sold inside but MUCH MUCH cheaper. Again mention the above people from Chicago and they will know..Gringo is Canadian and has lived there for many years...great people.

AGAIN PEOPLE....please tip the staff....remember just because it is an all inclusive doesn't mean you can't tip along the way....it will get you a lot further with a few dollars then not...

We made many friends with the staff and even went outside the hotel with some of them to a great concert as we like to do and even had a better time mingeling with the locals. Of course we speak Spanish but most of them do speak some English. But if you try a bit it is nice, keep in mind their native language is Spanish and knowing other languages is only an asset. We are coming to their country after all and should not expect them to know all languages. If people come to the United States we like them to know some English right? So please keep this in mind.

Over all, best place ever enjoy yourself and have a great time and don't spend time on any petty negatives because we couldn't find many!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

5,520 people have reviewed this hotel

2034
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

So we started out on our journey to the DR expecting a warm and breezy tropical vacation like any other we've taken in the past, but we were treated to, and greater with so much more.
When we arrived we were told we would be upgraded because of an over booking issue, and from that point forward it was luxury with all of its many trappings.
The service was like nothing I had experienced before, with all of the hotel employees treating my husband and I like family.
I have recommended this hotel to everyone who has asked about our vacation. I have the feeling that even if we had not been upgraded, we would have still be treated with the same kind of respect and kindness that was shown to us as members of the premium club.
So, thank you again Sandra Sanchez, Aracelis Del Rosario and Mirian Beras along with the rest if the Barcelo premium club staff!

Room Tip: We loved the access the first floor allowed us to the beach and the rest of the resort.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Place was very clean, an army of employees to help you.Lots of entertainment, great golf course, food was fantastic, doesn't matter what your tastes are you will be able to find something to eat. Was originally going to stay at the Majestic but my wife convinced me to try this one, glad she did will go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am saying this because this type of place definitely does not fit everyone's taste.
First and foremost, unless you are planning on the adults only part of the resort, this is a family resort with many kids and large family groups. I would definitely not recommend this place for solo, couples or friends holidays. Having said that, this hotel resort caters mainly to kids 3 years and up. We had trouble adjusting with our baby who is 11 months old. There is no tub in the room, so bathing was a problem, feeding was also complicated (my baby is on solids, but the buffet foods definitely were not a good choice for her), and the crib we got was really tiny and hands and feet kept sticking out.
The pros of the resort are that the grounds are beautiful, well kept. There are a ton of swimming pools, water parks, shops, entertainment. The golf course is really beautiful and peaceful too. The rooms are large and nicely decorated.
The cons, which in my opinion outdo the pros, are:
- the food is bad. Really bad, as in tasteless, smelly, poorly cooked. The buffet, while offering a ton of choices, was really bad. The place itself smelled terribly. The food at the restaurants was really subpar too. It was really the same as the buffet, just served in fancier plates. And a word about reserving tables at the restaurants: the day we arrived they told us everything was pretty much taken, so we only had dining options at 6 pm or 11 pm, or get stuck with the buffet. And by the way I've seen people being turned down at restaurants when they have a bunch of available table. I just don't understand that policy.
- the sea is not what you would like to see in the Caribbean. It is pretty wavy and there's a ton of seaweed.
- this is a huge resort. As in, there are something like 1500 rooms. Everything was super overcrowded. The beach, the pool, the buffet...we always had trouble finding lounging chairs by the pool or the sea.
- wi fi is really, really, really bad. We got it for the entire duration of our stay and it was ridiculously slow and the signal so weak.

If all the cons are fine by you, then this is the right place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the Barcy pool, unless you're willing to give up lazy morn...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our one week stay at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe in Dec 2012 was simply perfect. A huge thanks to G.C and his activities team (Yoseley, Natali, Tommy, Fernando, Yasmin, and Santos) who were the most nicest, friendliest activities staff we have expereienced at an all-inclusive resort.

The resort was amazing on a beautiful stretch of beach. No hassles for towels or benches, fast service at the buffet and most of the a la carte restaurants. Food was better than we have had in other resorts in Punta Cana.

We have been to many all inclusives - this one definately rates the best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to send us their impressions on their recent stay with us. As a service-oriented company, we have a strong commitment to achieve our guests’ satisfaction; thus, your opinion is of the utmost importance to us. Once again thank you for your compliments to our Entertainment Staff, we are going to transmit your positive feedback to each member of our personnel. We hope to welcome you soon to our little Caribbean paradise, always your second home in the Dominican Republic.

Javier Cordero Gilsanz
General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just got back from beautiful Punta Cana and wanted to share my wisdom with the community- i know that reviews really do make a difference when you try to figure out a place to stay. Our party consisted of 3 adults, 1 child (11 yr old). Traveled 12/11- 12/25.
Checkin- Got standard check in. Quick, effortless, and the guy was very nice. made us feel special. I hear everyone else complaining about this so i was pleasantly surprised.

Room: We booked the Junior Suite Deluxe- #5460, 4th floor.. it was OK location. Right beside of adult pool and very close to beach. You can only see a tiny square of ocean if you look out the balcony. Palm trees completely block the view. I would pick that area, except I would want to make it 3rd floor and 1 away from the beachfront suites.. that would give you a good view. It didn`t really matter to us.. but it would have been nice. The room was spacious, modern.. one of the most beautiful hotels we have ever been to. There is however no privacy. If you look in the toilet and shower area when the light is juuuust right you can see your family doing all kind of unmentionable things.. whoever thought it was a great design for family was on crack. It`s not a very good idea for couples as well, since you can also smell and hear EVERYTHING... ahem.. awkward. The beds are quite comfortable- a little firm. pillows were nice. We got the 2 double beds and 2 sofa beds. the sofa beds are a completely different story. they creaked, and were ridiculously lumpy. If you put the mattress on the floor, somehow they became comfortable.. try it if you have the same problem, it actually worked. Room service was good some days and just average others. We tipped $1 and 1 small gift (school supplies for kids, jewelry, hair and nail stuff) each day like some other reviews suggested and its really a toss in the air if we will get anything special because of it. They never did change the sheet the whole 2 weeks we were there! They just re-made the beds. They also didn`t always give us the right amount of towels- always ended up leaving only 3 even though there are obviously 4 people. The toilet seat is shaky .. we called for it to be fixed 3 times before giving up lol noone ever came. also.. its supposed to be "motion sensitive" so the maids don`t disturb you when you are in the room, which is so not the case- the maid came in almost everyday even when we were there. Everything else was great about the room though.. beautiful, modern, convenient, and did i mention the jacuzzi.. wow that thing came in handy when it was rainy out. The outdoor lights don`t work sometimes. The minibar was nice in the room- housekeeping with refill daily your favorite drinks. that was a bonus.

Beach: I went here 3 years ago and it was CRYSTAL CLEAR. We come expecting the same and were disappointed. I was a little embarrassed because I told everyone in the family it would be the best they have ever been to and we come to a dirty, seaweed infested junkyard. Ok.. it wasn`t so bad.. but definitely made me eat my words and look down in shame when my mom made a game of "count the junk" in the ocean. There are beer bottles, plastic cups, plastic bags everywhere. how disgusting.. people please throw away your junk, it really is sad how this place has changed. The seaweed was a little out of control the 1st 3 days. Somehow it magically all cleared and became more or less what I remembered.. you can see your feet in some places of the ocean but you have to get around other big chunks of plants first. Not the best anymore, sadly. I highly recommend going to the wild beach- it is to the right if you are facing the ocean and it is a lovely nature walk- perfect for pictures. The palm trees are awesome- they are slanted and you can climb them- grab a coconut and tip a gardener $1 for him to cut it up with a machete for you to enjoy. The entertainment center is wonderful.. say hola to Darley she was lovely. We had a lot of fun playing chess, cards, battleship, pingpong etc right on the beach. Free kayaks and peddle boating was nice too. Yoga on the beach was awesome. I remember last time there being water aerobics and sadly they don`t have this anymore.. how odd to remove the most popular activity. A lot of dancing, which I can`t do at all unless i`m drunk lol.

Drinks and food: You only get a certain amount of cards you can use to make reservations to the a la carte restaurants.. and i hear a lot of people making a big stink over this but let me let you in on a secret--- All you need to do is go and schedule more. lol. Big deal, you whiners. Just say you want more.. they don`t care, they will let you. Be flexible, humble, and smile- it really does help to be nice to "the help". I got reservations for every night we were there, and this was christmas time. The buffets and restaurants were nice. I liked to keep it simple for breakfast- bacon, made-to-order omelet at Miramar, and lots of fruits. Oh my god do I miss their fruit.. I am thinking about it now.. that juicy papaya, sweet pineapple.. and the passion fruit! - If you have never tried this icky, slimy, semi-gross looking thing called passion fruit I highly suggest that you do- and when you try it the first time chances will be that you will be repelled .. please try it again - you will be hooked, the taste just grows on you and you won`t be able to live without it. El coral restaurant was very nice. Ask to be seated outside. It is on the balcony overlooking the beach and pools and has a lovely breeze. The lobster medallions are delicious, along with the shrimp shish kabobs. You can order white and red wine or beer and soda at all of the restaurants without an extra charge. Santa Fe Steak house is AWESOME. I always ask the waiter what he suggests and it never fails me. I ordered the sirloin and it tasted just like filet mignon. I really was impressed with these 2 restaurants the most. The italian restaurant was good.. don`t recall what I ordered. Mexican was disappointing .. I love mexican food but we sat around for 40 minutes without a menu.. being ignored.. rude service.. and the food was delicious but COLD (stuffed fish).. don`t know if that was just a fluke, but we did not go back. The service was just ridiculously bad. Kyoto was also a disappointment. I love japanese habachi and sushi so I was looking forward to this place .. all of the reviews rave about how great it is. It was SOO time consuming. we were starving and had to wait 2 hours for everything to be set up .. prepared.. and then I find out later that my parents ordered the tuna and were given steak. Its partially their fault that they did not say something but hey they didn`t want to cause a scene and were ready to eat anything after the wait we had to endure. The food was overcooked. The show was average. It was just awfully and dreadfully long.. and boring.. But again it matters what waiter you get. It just sucks that you have to sit there with a look of wonder on your face for over an hour just because you don`t want to look like a jerk because they are trying. that can be exhausting. Spanish food was GREAT.. the service was the best, and so were the chairs-- nice, big, comfy! My 11 yr old brother loved it because the waiter was so sweet to him- he had the big goofy smile on his face the whole time and still remembers how that was the best place. We did not go to the French place because its extra-- which sucks because it was included 3 years ago. Hoyo was nice.. I loved their steak sandwich and bacon pizza. Don`t expect any customization though.. if the menu says there are going to be onions on that pizza and you tell them you are allergic, the waiter will nod and assure you that onions will not touch your pizza .. you will get a pizza with EXTRA onion lol. I`ve tried out this theory several times and it never failed. Strikers had excellent wings and if you are really nice to the waitresses and slip them a dollar they will make you a fresh personal pizza. All of the bars were awesome inside of the main building. My favorite is the coffee rum and cigar lounge bar where they will make you the best caramel frozen frappachinos ever! The casino bar was great too- ask them to make you a drink-- any drink-- say surprise me, and you won`t be disappointed! When you are in the pool bar area- order yourself a pina bavaro. It is their signature drink- it tastes like pina colada but with banana- which is sooo yummy. Their banana milkshakes are addictive. Oh and I would go to the Bohio buffet vs the Miramar. The service is so much better and its much less crowded.. and you get the very sweet and adorable Felix to make you some spaghetti alfredo with whatever toppings you desire- I miss that guy already. It`s amazing how much the staff remembers about you- you think that you are just a face in the crowd but you aren't.

What is a real outrage is that EVERYONE is a smoker. You can`t get away from the second-hand smoke. Its so gross.. you walk to the beach to smell the fresh air and you smell smoke.. you go to the theater, you smell smoke, you go to pool its an inferno. Why don`t you segregate these people.. i`m sorry i`m all for rights but it was beginning to be ridiculous that I couldn`t go one place with my kid brother without him being exposed to that tar. There should be places where they aren`t allowed to be so that non-smokers can at least enjoy some fresh air. Asthma- travelers beware.

Nightly entertainment sucked.. at this hotel. They built this beautiful, huge theater and ruined it. First, it`s ridiculously hot and humid there all the time, so you are always sweating like a pig- and there is no breeze. second, the shows are boring. They blast the music so loud that I think they are trying to overcompensate and make it seem like if they make a huge racket some morons will be highly entertained. PLEASE- IF ANYONE AT BARCELO IS READING THIS- YOU NEED TO TURN THE VOLUME DOWN AT YOUR THEATER.. IT IS SO OBNOXIOUS! The dancing is just OK, the employees don`t look like they are enjoying themselves because it is too structured and watered down.. there is nothing spontaneous or fun or goofy like what i remember when i was here long ago. What I remember is what they have at the adults only hotel.. go there instead, it is awesome! it is fun .. entertaining, sexy! It`s just a train ride or a short walk away from the palace .. their theater is right off the beach, and so much better overall, I highly recommend it.

What urks me is this palace used to be the best of the best.. if you stayed there you could use all of the other hotel`s resources.. you could go to the adults only and have a drink or use their buffet or that awesome restaurant on the beach that they have.. you could go to the french place free of charge.. you could use the pools. not anymore. now you can only use your hotel`s pools bars and restaurants. why did they change this? I expected to be able to use all of the 7+ pools that were promised to me on the site .. I only counted like 2 .. the others were kiddy pools, fountains, child centers, and spa pools which cost extra. Granted these 2 pools were KICKA!@.. but still I feel a little cheated. The pirate`s water park should be free!! There is no one there every time we went by. It is pretty basic.. just a ship, a bucket which dumps water, and a wave pool which makes OK waves with some slides. Not worth the $20 they want for it .. and it seems like most people know this since its almost always empty. Smarten up Barcelo.. if you just add $3 to each person`s reservation and open the theme park to everyone who stays there it would pay for itself. Right now it`s not being used how it should be at all. Laser tag is a joke .. you want $1 for each minute.. riiight. I like that mini golf is free after 6.

My last comment is please be nice. These people make close to nothing, and they work very hard. I made it a point to always smile and say hola.. como esta.. bien.. use the basic words you learned in high school..(but be aggressive at the bars (once you make eye contact don`t hesitate, pounce on them with the drink order, otherwise it will take a while)).. smile always.. try to learn some spanish. You are in their country as a guest, don`t be rude.. ask them how to say something new.. talk to them.. find out what fun things there are to do there.. what is good on the menu.. what they do on their days off.. how do you say a nasty word in french.. haha.. i asked that just to see if they would tell me and now I know. The dominican people are fun and loving and genuinely like to please you if you are decent. You wouldn`t believe how nasty I have seen some people to the staff.. its a wonder they can put up with us at all.
Please be nice.

Pack your imodium- otherwise you won`t be able to do much more than run from bathroom to bathroom. ah the joys of visiting new countries with a less-then-desirable water reservoir.

Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The resort is a class act - one of the best I have seen. We stayed from 24th thru 28th of December 2012.

About us: We are a vegetarian family of 2 adults (man and wife) and two children (a teenaged girl and a 12 year old boy).

Overall - language is a huge, huge problem. You need to know at least a little bit of Spanish. We suffered (as I'll relate later) due to this lack.

Check-in: Very very slow. We had one person in front of us - and it took them 30 minutes (I timed it) to take in. It took us 15 minutes or so to check-in. A drink was promised, and when the lady bearing it came towards us, everything was consumed before she even reached us. We had to request it a third time - I have seen better at other resorts, where the drink bearers use common sense and know who got it, and who didn't.

Room: We had booked a Junior Suite Deluxe. The room was in building 5, third floor. Room number was 5350. We were flattered when we entered it and saw the room with two queen like beds, the sitting area with two sofas (probably were sofa-beds - but I didn't check), the balcony with the jacuzzi in it, and the lateral view of the ocean. The cost of an ocean facing room was an additional $200 per day - prohibitive for the sake of ocean facing (IMHO). Later, we saw the issues with the room. The non-moveable parts of the French windows leading to the balcony had one side that was actually moved about an inch away from the wall. Towels had been stuffed into the gap. But the air-conditioned air leaked out - or the humid air leaked in and the sitting area was not very well air-conditioned. The Jacuzzi worked find the one time we used it.

Which leads me to the bathroom and lavatory. The doors simply close - no latch, no way to indicate that there is someone inside. There is no exhaust. You can hear everything - every splash, plop and other sounds. So this will work only if you are a very forgiving and close-knit family.

The safe worked and we followed the directions to keep everything valuable (passports, wallets and jewelry) inside the safe.

The minibar was included in the all-inclusive. And it was refilled scrupulously every day. The President beer was there as well as some peach juice and apple juice. There were a few sodas as well and a large bottle of water outside.

Food:

Breakfasts were fine. 3 of us eat eggs, and my wife is a strict vegetarian (no eggs) - but we could always fond something or other to fill ourselves. In fact the omelet was quite nice. Even the bread was good. Fruits were the usual and plentiful - papayas (my favorite), mangoes, melons, oranges, pears, bananas, guavas etc.

Lunches were at the buffet on each day. On check-in day, we managed to get a lunch - they were quite cordial about suggesting that we get lunch soon before the buffet closed, unlike other resorts where they made us feel like they were doing us a favor. There was always 3-4 dishes that were labelled as vegetarian options. Unfortunately, most of them would have mushrooms (which we don't eat) and other dishes were made unappetizing. We had to scour around and saw the old-standby pasta station which could be topped with marinara sauce and green peppers, onions and tomatoes. After the third day, it was a drag. But the surprise was on the 4th day (27th).

Dinners: We were given two coupons for complimentary diners at the special restaurants on site. These include a Japanese, Spanish, Mexican, French, Italian and a Steak place. There was also a sports bar and a dining place attached to the golf course called Hoyo 19. The two coupons required us to make reservations and we made two - one to the Mexican at 9:45 PM local time and one to the Italian at 10:45 PM.

The first night's diner was at the buffet. We discovered what was to become our salvation for the trip - the pasta station where fresh pasta was cooked to order with marinara sauce.

The Mexican restaurant was a disaster. Instead of being let in at 9:45, we were seated at 10:00 PM. Being ravenous, we ordered everything at once. There were just two vegetarian labelled dishes. We asked for one of the beef dishes to be served with beans, vegetables and cheese instead of beef. Big mistake The dish arrived with the beef and my starving teenaged daughter piled into it - and my son realized a bit late that there was beef in it. I was upset. Pulled the waitress over and pointed out the beef to her and she went to the cook and explained what should have been done. We got replacement dish - but the damage was done. My wife could not eat any more and we retreated to the buffet for some ice-cream cones.

We went to the Hoyo 19 restaurant the next night and had a half way decent experience.

We decided to skip the Italian restaurant, given that the reservation was too late and we decided to go to the buffet on the last night - which was a surprise for us because it looked like an abundance of vegetarian options were suddenly available! This was the best diner we had in a long time (or was it lunch? I don't recall exactly)!

Pools: These are the cleanest pools I have seen - ever! There is no discernible chlorine smell and the pools are long and sparkling clean.

Beach: The beach is easily the best one I have seen. You can walk up to a quarter mile into the ocean and the water only rises to your chest (I am 5' 10"). The water is clean and the waves are the gentlest I have seen. The beach itself has sea weeds on it - but they are cleaned every day - truckloads of them are taken away by the hard working locals. We walked on both sides - the right side ends quite soon. But on the left you can go one forever.

Internet access: Wireless internet access costs money. $10 per day. I bought 3 days' worth for $25. Only one device can connect at a time. And if you lose the password or access code, you have to buy a new one. They do NOT keep a record of the information for security reasons.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 6 are supposed to be new. Our room was 6360 - building 5, floor 3.
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your valued time to comment your impressions in regards to your last vacation experience. In Barceló we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for. You can feel assured that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of the particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible to reinforce the level of English of our personnel also to improve the assistance to our guests on arrival during their registration. On the other hand, currently we are revising the concept on our vegetarian food outlets with the main purpose of delivering a high standard service that can adequate to most of our clientele requirements and exceed their culinary expectations. Once again we thank you for your time to share your comments since remarks such as yours are of the greatest importance and assistance to us. Be assured that Barceló will never cease in its efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided

Javier Cordero Gilsanz
General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!