“Beautiful beach! Very clean hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #34 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, IL
“Beautiful beach! Very clean hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved this hotel! The location is fantastic, the hotel itself is great! You will get a huge bonus if get club premium! Some of the benefits of club premium are your own private conceirage, a bottle of champagne and bottle of rum when you arrive, and room service gratis. The people here work extremely hard on upkeeping the hotel. The hotel was about as clean and sterile as a hospital. I saw in some other vacationer's post that they get irritated about the workers not speaking good English. Well to those ignorant, pompous people that have a problem with a language barrier, guess what? You are in their Spanish speaking country!! Not everyone in the world speaks perfect English. Try to be a little more understanding. Overall, this resort is great! The only thing not so great is the buffet food and the coral sea restaurant. I would come back here in a second.

• Stayed November 2012

5,592 people have reviewed this hotel

2052
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kansas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at this resort November 10-15 and really enjoyed our stay. The only complaints I would have which weren't huge by any means. We asked for a king size bed and got two double beds and when we booked we were told we could go to the adult only side also which apparantly they changed that 15 days prior to our arrival. Which wasn't a huge deal just wasn't informed and was a little embarrassed when they refused to serve us....so be aware that has changed if you were thinking about utilizing both resorts. This resort was huge! We mostly ate at the sports bar and buffets as we like the no reservations. On our 4th day we found the Hoyo 19 restaurant which isn't reservations eathier which was really good, we ate the steak and it was great. We also tried the steakhouse and their steak was also great. We had no complaints on the food. We did enjoy the piano bar off of the casino, it was very relaxing and the piano man was very good. The casino was good sized and we played some blackjack and had a great time. The shows were good too and the theatre was also huge! We did go to the spa it was nice and relaxing with great massages. We also went to the gym and it had alot of treadmills, bikes and weights which was a plus for us as we like to workout while on vacation. I would recommend this resort as it was nice, clean and had alot to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our family (group of 2 grandparents, 2 parents, 2 adult grandsons, 2 teens and 2 children) just returned from a week at the resort to celebrate my husband's 75th birthday. My husband and I are seasoned travellers with years of international experience and have been to other AI resorts in the Caribbean, although this was our first time at a Barcelo chain. We chose the resort because it seemed to promise a lot for everyone, most particularly the little kids and the teens.

Like so many other reviewers, we found the beach, pools, activities, and general ambiance more than promised. Our last trip to Playa del Carmen was a disaster as far as beach facilities were concerned, so a clean, private, well-maintained beach with plenty of chairs was a treat. One thing I would note is that there are no artificial sources of shade so if you are fair or plan to be there for hours, take lots of sunscreen, even on cloudy days. Ask me how I know. The pool area has extensive covered areas, the swim up bar is a great place to hang out and there are "organized" activities such as water volley ball, dance lessons, aerobics, etc. if you want to participate. In another area of the resort is the Barcy water park for children under 6 and Pirates Island (extra charge) which our 10-year old enjoyed. The teens found the teen disco "lame," but seemed to otherwise enjoy hanging out in the sports bar and the billards area.

Rooms left something to be desired. Yes, they are well-decorated and the beds are extremely comfortable. But each of our 3 rooms had multiple, small annoying problems -- leaky showers, broken toilet paper holders, a hot tub that wouldn't drain, televisions that wouldn't stay on, etc. etc. I emphasize that none of these were serious enough to cause any trauma at all, but I would suggest that the resort hire some kind of a maintenance guru whose job is to check out all these details and get them repaired. I would estimate that everything that was wrong in our room could have been fixed in less than 1 hour and at a cost of about $10 US.

Housekeeping service otherwise was terrific. Never had to ask for anything and our room was always promptly made up when we put the sign on the door. My husband gave our chambermaid $20 the first morning, learned her name, chatted with her for 5 minutes, and we were set for the week. Likewise, housekeeping in the public areas was excellent -- the grounds are beautifully maintained. When we had heavy rains one day, people were mopping the covered walkways while it was still raining and there were caution signs everywhere.

Service in the restaurants and buffets was spotty. At breakfast, the waitresses at the tables were great, as were the waiters in some restaurants. Our waiter in the Japanese restaurant must have been having a bad day because nothing was right. The waiters in the Spanish restaurant were charming and spoke excellent English but enjoyed our feeble attempts at Spanish. We generally found that if there was a problem communicating with the waiters, just ask for the maitre d' whose English was much better. Overall, we found the service people eager to help but unable to cope graciously with our Spanish 101 ability. Unlike other reviewers, we NEVER encountered anyone who could be considered rude.

I don't need to add anything to the comments about the mediocrity of the food and drinks. Bottom line, the included wines are simply undrinkable. Seriously. And the wines offered in the restaurants are very good but pricey by US standards, even if you use the $10 and $20 credit coupons. The frozen "beach" drinks are blah, so if you want something good, stick to the basics. The buffets are plentiful, but we all found the food bland and boring. There is a lot of repetition from day to day but if you don't try to eat every dish every day, you get sufficient variety over the course of the week. The breakfast buffet is great. I disagree with the reviewer who said AI buffets are always like this -- we have had very good buffets at other similar resorts. Although we are talking about a buffet and not a la carte dining, there is still room for improvement.

The restaurants are problemmatic. Given that we were not arriving until after 6 pm and had 2 children, we wanted to make a reservation in advance. Could not do it, despite repeated e-mails with a "host." The reason given was that a reservation could not be made until we had a room number. It couldn't just be made in our names? We also wanted a private room for a birthday celebration but the only space available in the entire resort was La Cava which involved an extra charge per person and would not take children. After making dinner reservations for the entire week the day we arrived, including 2 much later than the children could enjoy, we saw that almost every restaurant had empty tables all evening. When I asked about this, I was told that people make reservations then just don't show up. We were advised just to go earlier and try to get in without a reservation. I'm not sure how an all-inclusive resort can address this problem, but it certainly is annoying. We found the food in the restaurants better than the buffets, but nothing to write home about. The Spanish is the best (try the leg of lamb), the Italian is okay, but the sushi at the Japanese restaurant was inedible and other dishes totally unappetizing. The food at the steakhouse was extremely variable -- 3 of us had good steaks, the others didn't. None of the side dishes stated on the menu were what we actually received (and who serves both rice and mashed potatoes on the same plate?) The seafood restaurant had a very good salad bar (avoid the marinated lobster tail -- tasted like cardboard) but the main courses were blah. We did not eat at the French restaurant or the Mexican.

A good alternative to the buffets is the restaurant at the 19th Hole, the a la carte restaurant at the golf course. It opens for breakfast from 6:30 a.m. to 10, then re-opens at 11 a.m. and serves until 11 p.m. This is important if you eat a late breakfast and have a late dinner reservation, because with the exception of the sports bar (which has a small buffet), there is no where else to get a snack between about 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Finally, with regard to food and drink, I never did figure out the policy on alcoholic drinks in the restaurants. They will serve the included beer and wine plus the wine on the list, but if you want anything else, e.g., an apertif like Campari and soda or an after dinner drink, you have to go out to a bar and bring it in. Weird.

In sum, a note to management: I've been reading comments about the poor food for months while planning this trip but it seems the resort hasn't taken anything to heart. Raise your prices $10 per day and improve the quality of food and drink -- you'll get rid of a lot of complaints!

Bottom line, yes we had a great time. Yes, we would probably try another Barcelo resort. Our family all enjoyed what the resort had to offer. But I would not give this particular resort four and 1/2 stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Como, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Everything was very very very nice!! The hotel was clean almost everywhere (just the the rooms could be much more clean). There was a lot of food (good one), nice shops and restaurants, good service and an amazing animation with many nice activities!!! The beach was beatiful, carribean music all day along. The rooms were very nice, with confortable beds, coffee, tea, salty and sweet snacks. Mini bar with cold drinks was free as well.
Absolutely too much air conditioned everywhere!! 40 degrees outside and almost zero inside: that makes you sick for sure!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We are the honeymooners from Russia, and we choose that hotel for our romantic trip. Why? Firstly because it is situated in Dominican. Then because the price-quality pair was the best one. And we take the Premium club, because of sea view and nearness of the ocean. I cant name serious minuses of this hotel. But it have LOTS OF PLUSES. Animation, architecture, food (not very variative, but very tasty. We came here to have fun, but not to eat))) For food likers here are 7 card restourants. Drinks are not bad))) in all inclusive are not included only more then 12 years alcohol.

Separately i would like to say about the personel))) All are very smily and cheerful. You can ask everybody here about any problem you have about your vacation and they will solve it or tell whom to ask)) We are very happy we came here. And spesial thanks to Aracelis Del Rosario, from Premium Club lobby))) She made our vacation a lot more comfortable))) Very nice and plesant woman))) Thank you very much))))

And the last))) Premium club is not as chip as usual class, but you know))) it is WORTHY THING))) Large room numbers))) A lot of additional pluses)) We are happy, we came here to congratulate the most wonderful days of our (my and my husband`s) lives)))

Room Tip: Premium club suites
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is an honest review. My husband and I booked this trip last minute to celebrate his birthday and were really hoping for deluxe quality. Our experience was mixed.
1. Arrival at airport - yes, there are people there who will pretend to be your designated transfer service but in reality are there to entice you to "visit" another property. With us, it was not to sell us time share but rather to "show us" the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. We fell for it but in the end sitting through their presentation paid off as it is truly a very beautiful property. We did not buy anything but were able to enjoy the property for the day including a free spa visit and dinner at one of their excellent restaurants. It was our best meal that week.
2. Check-in -The staff was very nice and we were upgraded to Club Premium. If you can afford it, it really does make a difference. You will get an Oean Front suite, you won't need to pay to have dinner at La Comedie or any other restaurant. Check-in is quick and the staff at the club is very nice and will book you dinner reservations for your entire stay. Room service and mini bar items are included
3. Our suite was very nice and modern. The bed was ver comfortable. Huge TV, however reception not very good. There is a jacuzzi in the patio area; very nice! The bathroom area floods every time you take a shower. No big deal as you are in a beach environment. We left a 2-3 dollar daily tip for the maid and had everything we needed. Ours was bilding 1 so a little far from the main building where the restaurants and bars are but close to the adults only area which was nice. Mid way through our stay though we received a letter informing us that access to the adults only area would carry a charge of $14.00/day.
4. There are lots of activities, watersports, dance classes, games, beach excercise classes. The staff does a pretty good job of entertaining the guests if they choose to participate.
5. Shows - also pretty good though they are mostly dance shows. It makes sense though since a large number of guests are Russian and dont speak English or Spanish.
6. Casino - does not feel like a real one, not even like a cruise ship casino. Still my husband had a good time on the roulette tables.
7. Disco - nice, big but the DJ did not do a good job of getting people to dance. All of the songs are music videos shown on a large screen. There was some latin music which is what we were looking for especially since it was the Dominican Republic, but not enough.
8. Piano Bar - Right next to the casino and Excellen Piano Mant!! I enjoyed the music and sipped drinks while my husband gambled a little.
9. Drinks - true the frozen drinks did not remain frozen for long. The house wine is trully terrible. Other drinks are OK.
10. Food - this is definitely the worst area. The buffets always serve the same food and it is really not that good. Plenty of fruits but mostly unripe. Lots of salads but most of them full of mayo. It is hard to get an appealing simple lettuce and tomatoe salad. Even the breakfast, which is hard to mess up was not good. It seems like they have all the right material but somehow they are not able to prepare a good meal. The Japanese restaurant served sushi that was not even supermarket quality. It was all prepared in advance and did not taste all that fresh. The steak at the Steakhouse had no flavor. The French Restaurant was the exception.The food was great the first time we ate there, a little less great the second time but still quite good.
All things considered we had a great time but it seems like this property could make some simple improvements to give guests a better experience. I don't think we will go back in the near future. If we do go back to Punta Cana we'll probably try out the Hard Rock but would expect to pay quite a bit more based on the prices we have seen advertised. From what we expericed, it may be well worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family just returned from the resort, having spent Thanksgiving there. Our group included my daughter, husband, and two young children (5 and just under 4), my son and daughter in law, and my wife and me.
I travel extensively on business (every week, including a large number of international trips), and my wife and I vacation regularly. We typically only stay at five star resorts (such as Four Seasons), just put this into perspective.
We knew exactly what we were getting into by choosing an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana, which meant mediocre food, better than average facilities, non-branded alcoholic beverages, and extensive resort amenities. We got precisely what we anticipated, and anyone that leaves such a place angry or disappointed simply had no idea what they were getting when they booked the place.
My opinion(s):
1) We were traveling with young children, so we selected this place as family friendly. It had a water park, laser tag, miniature golf, children's activities, multiple children's pools, a good beach (and this beach is excellent, and does not have waves on this side of the island), and a wide variety of kid-friendly food. We got exactly what we expected. If anything, the facilities exceeded our expectations.
2) The rooms were spacious and clean. Yes, you're going to get occasional insects in any DR resort, as this is a tropical island, and that's what you're going to see. But...the rooms were clean, the daily tip left ensured that we got good room service, and we were more than satisfied. We stayed in three separate rooms, so if we were three for three, the people complaining are just looking for something to complain about.
3) Typical of all-inclusive resorts, the food is not great. It's abundant, but the quality is going to be lacking. It was fine. It wasn't great, but aside from some joking, we never went hungry. If I wanted better food, and wanted to pay three times as much for my family, I'd have done so. I got EXACTLY what I expected.
4) If you haven't been at an all inclusive recently, they all play the same game. This means a large buffet or two, and a plethora of specialty restaurants. The restaurants are typically beautifully decorated, the service slowish (to add to the experience), and the food a pinch below decent. If I were to eat out at a restaurant with this quality, I wouldn't return, but the truth is, that's exactly what you get in an AI. Deal with it, people. It was good enough. Some restaurants were okay, some less so.
5) They had a spa. We love spas, and to be honest, this was fine for an AI, but we've stayed at some of the best, and this cannot compare, and I didn't expect it to.
6) Their main pool was out of this world. Much better than I ever expected. Frankly, I was blown away, as I was with the beach.
7) They had what appeared to be a good golf course, but I am not a golfer.
8) They had nightly shows, and I've been there at other similar resorts, and I had no interest.
9) They had a casino. Sorry, but I'm a vegas kind of guy. I had zero interest, but there were people there gambling. Good for them. I hope they won.
10) The activities area was well attended, and people seemed to be having a great time.
11) DR is hot any time of the year. This is the comfortable season, and it was hot as far as I could tell, but I'm from southern CA, and we don't have this kind of humidity.
12) We went on a dune buggy excursion. I had a blast, but if I'm being honest, typical of this type of resort area, the buggy's weren't serviced properly, and it was probably a health risk. The excursion was given by an outside company, so don't blame the resort.
13) They had a wide selection of water vehicles that were included. We didn't partake, but other people did and they seemed to have fun.
14) The resort also has an adults-only section, and we walked it and weren't impressed. I thought the family area was better. If that's your choice, I suggest going to a different place.
15) All these AI places are pretty comparable. If not, some of them would have trouble booking, and from what I see, that's not the case. They all likely are very similar. Pick one, and go with it.
16) The staff were locals and spoke little English. It isn't a problem. Deal with it, people. You know enough Spanish to get by.
17) The resort population was surprisingly international. I thought the majority of people were Russian. I loved that. It greatly improved my people watching. What does that mean? If you have any common sense, if the staff is taught another language, it's NOT going to be English. Once again, deal with it.
18) I laugh at anyone that complains about check in and check out. Big deal. You spend perhaps an hour, maybe two doing both, and the rest of the time you're having fun. Anyone that wastes time complaining about that is in serious need of therapy. Who cares?
19) All things considered, you get what you pay for, and this isn't what I would call an expensive vacation. For the money, it's a good value.

This is the type of place where I'd take my two kids and their families, but NOT the place my wife and I would go to if we were on a nice trip. I'd compare it to a Carnival Cruise, with more to do, but with food that's slightly worse.

And...I'm not a Carnival Cruise kind of guy. It is what it is.

If you're seeking a multi-generation family trip, do it.

Have fun traveling.

Room Tip: The kids each had a junior suite. We booked a one bedroom suite. Our room was much nicer. Do it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!