“Seasoned traveler with an honest review and no bones to pick” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | PO Box 3177, Punta Cana 22000, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Irvine, California
“Seasoned traveler with an honest review and no bones to pick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family just returned from the resort, having spent Thanksgiving there. Our group included my daughter, husband, and two young children (5 and just under 4), my son and daughter in law, and my wife and me.
I travel extensively on business (every week, including a large number of international trips), and my wife and I vacation regularly. We typically only stay at five star resorts (such as Four Seasons), just put this into perspective.
We knew exactly what we were getting into by choosing an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana, which meant mediocre food, better than average facilities, non-branded alcoholic beverages, and extensive resort amenities. We got precisely what we anticipated, and anyone that leaves such a place angry or disappointed simply had no idea what they were getting when they booked the place.
My opinion(s):
1) We were traveling with young children, so we selected this place as family friendly. It had a water park, laser tag, miniature golf, children's activities, multiple children's pools, a good beach (and this beach is excellent, and does not have waves on this side of the island), and a wide variety of kid-friendly food. We got exactly what we expected. If anything, the facilities exceeded our expectations.
2) The rooms were spacious and clean. Yes, you're going to get occasional insects in any DR resort, as this is a tropical island, and that's what you're going to see. But...the rooms were clean, the daily tip left ensured that we got good room service, and we were more than satisfied. We stayed in three separate rooms, so if we were three for three, the people complaining are just looking for something to complain about.
3) Typical of all-inclusive resorts, the food is not great. It's abundant, but the quality is going to be lacking. It was fine. It wasn't great, but aside from some joking, we never went hungry. If I wanted better food, and wanted to pay three times as much for my family, I'd have done so. I got EXACTLY what I expected.
4) If you haven't been at an all inclusive recently, they all play the same game. This means a large buffet or two, and a plethora of specialty restaurants. The restaurants are typically beautifully decorated, the service slowish (to add to the experience), and the food a pinch below decent. If I were to eat out at a restaurant with this quality, I wouldn't return, but the truth is, that's exactly what you get in an AI. Deal with it, people. It was good enough. Some restaurants were okay, some less so.
5) They had a spa. We love spas, and to be honest, this was fine for an AI, but we've stayed at some of the best, and this cannot compare, and I didn't expect it to.
6) Their main pool was out of this world. Much better than I ever expected. Frankly, I was blown away, as I was with the beach.
7) They had what appeared to be a good golf course, but I am not a golfer.
8) They had nightly shows, and I've been there at other similar resorts, and I had no interest.
9) They had a casino. Sorry, but I'm a vegas kind of guy. I had zero interest, but there were people there gambling. Good for them. I hope they won.
10) The activities area was well attended, and people seemed to be having a great time.
11) DR is hot any time of the year. This is the comfortable season, and it was hot as far as I could tell, but I'm from southern CA, and we don't have this kind of humidity.
12) We went on a dune buggy excursion. I had a blast, but if I'm being honest, typical of this type of resort area, the buggy's weren't serviced properly, and it was probably a health risk. The excursion was given by an outside company, so don't blame the resort.
13) They had a wide selection of water vehicles that were included. We didn't partake, but other people did and they seemed to have fun.
14) The resort also has an adults-only section, and we walked it and weren't impressed. I thought the family area was better. If that's your choice, I suggest going to a different place.
15) All these AI places are pretty comparable. If not, some of them would have trouble booking, and from what I see, that's not the case. They all likely are very similar. Pick one, and go with it.
16) The staff were locals and spoke little English. It isn't a problem. Deal with it, people. You know enough Spanish to get by.
17) The resort population was surprisingly international. I thought the majority of people were Russian. I loved that. It greatly improved my people watching. What does that mean? If you have any common sense, if the staff is taught another language, it's NOT going to be English. Once again, deal with it.
18) I laugh at anyone that complains about check in and check out. Big deal. You spend perhaps an hour, maybe two doing both, and the rest of the time you're having fun. Anyone that wastes time complaining about that is in serious need of therapy. Who cares?
19) All things considered, you get what you pay for, and this isn't what I would call an expensive vacation. For the money, it's a good value.

This is the type of place where I'd take my two kids and their families, but NOT the place my wife and I would go to if we were on a nice trip. I'd compare it to a Carnival Cruise, with more to do, but with food that's slightly worse.

And...I'm not a Carnival Cruise kind of guy. It is what it is.

If you're seeking a multi-generation family trip, do it.

Have fun traveling.

Room Tip: The kids each had a junior suite. We booked a one bedroom suite. Our room was much nicer. Do it.

5,061 people have reviewed this hotel

1964
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Katy, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We are not picky travelers, but please heed to the negative reviews. I wish we did, but we went ahead and gave this resort the benefit of doubt.

My husband and I stayed Nov 11 - Nov 18, 2012, spending our 20 year anniversary at this resort, horrible idea. When we arrived, we were amazed by the appearance of the resort. It was a beautiful place. We arrived around 11am and did not get our room until 5:30pm, and our room was not the room we paid for. They gave us a room with 2 queen beds. After arguing with the front desk about our bed situation, It took 3 more days to get a room with a king bed, and the room we were given was not cleaned yet. We had to wait another 2 hours in the dirty room before being put into a clean king room. The housekeeper we had was great for us, maybe because we left a tip for her every day. We had clean sheets, towels, and a stocked fridge.

The food.......when we went into the buffet, we were wondering what all the complaining was about. It was great.....for the first 2 days. The buffet food never never changed. It was the same thing day after day. Was quite boring, bland, and tasteless. The a la carte restaurants were a joke. SERIOUSLY! Steak house: good flavor, tough meat. Seafood: OMG by far the worst. The shrimp and the lobster were like eating paste. I could not eat it. Italian: took 20 minutes to get our drinks, 3 other tables sat 15-20 minutes after us and received their entrees before we even got our soup, which that took an hour. We had 2 bites of the can tasting soup and left, very disappointed. Besides, the server was rude and never came back to our table after taking our order. The only rude employee of the resort, by the way. Japanese: had reservation for 9:00, was sat at 9:45, took 25 minutes to get drink, I ended up having to go to the bar for my drink, they never brought mine. We sat for the cooking show that wasn't much of a show. The meat was over cooked and the rice was dry...We had to leave early because I became very sick. I was sick that night and the entire next day. Not sure what it was, but it was from the food or the ice in our drinks. Mexican: bowl of chips were pieces of chips, we ordered the burrito, looked like a taquito. Had no Mexican flavoring at all. We left when I had seen the server dump 2 bowls of chips from other tables into one bowl and serve it to the table behind us. I tried to tell the table what had happened, but they spoke only french. No wonder why our chips were pieces....other people had had their fingers in them. Spanish: this was the best place. The food was OK. We did not eat the French because we did not want to spend money on anything that had to do with food. Also, "FORMAL" dining did not apply. Jeans and T-shirts were worn. Any attire was acceptable as long as you left the flip flops in your room.

Not to mention, the tables were only wiped down with dirty napkins from the people who just ate at the table. The employees picked up dirty dishes and reset the silverware and napkins without ever washing their hands. The plates were always greasy and unclean.

Not much of a night life here. The nightly options are 1) cheesy theater show, 2) cheesy casino, 3) cheesy disco, 4)sports bar, 5) coffee bar (best place in my opinion) 6) shopping, which was price gouged beyond belief 7) Carey bar.....All of this is great if you plan on staying 2-3 nights, but then it becomes boring after 3 days.

The beach was nice and relaxing, just too much kelp and pine needles in the water. The pools were beautiful and clean.

The drinks were OK at best, the alcohol they use is not very good and only one beer was available, Presidente. We drank bloody marys and mojitos most of our trip.

The staff was nice and we met several really funny employees. Language was a barrier, but that's ok because we were visiting their country. It always worked out one way or another and we had fun learning more Spanish, and also teaching some English. It was comical for all of us involved.

The resort credits were a joke. we used $20 worth of the $1000 credits (2 $10 casino match play). They are a gimmick to make you spend more money. Any trips and tours were crazy priced. I mean CRAZY priced! Be prepared to have deep pockets if you want to do any excursions or tours.

Unfortunately, the goods do not outweigh the bads. Overall, we were not satisfied. In my opinion, food is 50% of a vacation experience, they did not deliver. Entertainment was lacking and there just was not much to do there after the 3rd day. It was supposed to be the best resort there. I would hate to see the worst.

We will not be returning and we will warn people to run as far away from this place as possible. Spend your money on someplace else

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe is overrated. I am going to give you a few reasons why:
1). The food here is horrible, if you are looking for a mundane breakfast, lunch and if you aren't lucky dinner buffet that offers the same mediocre food night after night.
2). They say this is an english speaking hotel but very few people spoke english fluently.
3). There are very few activities to do on the resort and the few free activities they they do have only have a limited number of people to assist you.
4). More ideal spot for people with families because there is a lot of activities geared towards kids, very few things for adults
5). The rooms smelled like mildew, though they were nicely decorated
6). You have to make dinner reservations in advance or you aren't able to go to dinner in the al carte restaturants, which are never packed
7). The sports bar, which is the only 24 hours restaurant, had food sitting out on the buffet the entire day
8). The tour people harass you early in the morning to come and book tours, which is much needed because there is so little to do on the resort
9). There were people smoking all over the place, which makes for a less enjoyable trip for those who don't smoke
10). Make sure to put all of your belongings in the safe, to prevent theft
I am well traveled and I would definitely have to disagree with alot of the reviews here, I would definitely not rate this resort high on customer service and be prepared to stand in lines for a good duration of your trip, I didn't like feeling like I had to be on a schedule for my trip with going to dinner. Last but not least they speak of all inclusive but there are alot of things you have to pay for, such as the french restaurant, some alcoholic beverages, as well as room service. Definitely, not my idea of an all inclusive package.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

OK, I hope this review helps those who are looking to travel to Barcelo Delux. I will be as honest as i can be in all areas and cover points made by many previously.

SERVICE
Many have complained that upon arrival many people try to take your bags for tips and taxi rides, but if you say no they leave you alone. I also found that, despite the hasty approch, they are actually just trying to help. My bag was not taken as i refused but a gentleman directed our party to the taxi ranks. If you have hotel transfers you will be just fine anyway. Taxi fares are very reasonable. Upon check in i was expecting delays and poor attitude as per many reviews, however it was fine. In fact we was off the plane and checked in at the hotel with 90 minutes. I believe however for those arriving at busier periods may have a longer wait as it takes approx 5-10 minutes to check in per couple once seen. Its agreed that a little basic spanish goes a long way in helping things progress smoothly. The staff are not rude, just many have very little understanding in english so perhaps feel uneasy aproaching you or holding a conversation. It would be better if they had better english speaking, however, who was i to expect this in there culture and country? A little tip here and there really goes far too and being all inclusive, a dollar or two now and then wont burn any holes. All bars were very polite but again lack of english sometimes resulted in incorrect drinks but just ask or correct and they change it no questions asked. The ground staff always greet you and room service and maid staff always say hello and help.

VALUE
Personally for me, this was a very expensive upfront cost for a vacation, however, once you arive and spend a few days there you soon realise that you are getting a very good deal i believe. The range of products and services are wide enough to occupy you daily and all included. Those activities that cost are fairly reasonable however some excursions and activities start to become a little pricey. The Spa is fantastic but again expensive. I HIGHLY recoomend the romantic escape package for 2 which is $200 USD. You get alot of treatment time and use facilities before and after these. Also they place you in a relaxation room with fruit and cookies afterward. A really amazing way to kick back. Not my normal thing but it was well worth it for the money believe me. Duty free on site is good value alos but be careful with the allowances. The staff tell you that you are able to take certain limits so please check in the in flight brochure when you travel exactly what you can bring back. Im a non smoker, but my family are. You can purchase 200 cigarettes for $30 USD where outside the duy free they charge $15 USD for 20. The variety on offer in terms of food and drink is very good value too. Cocktails included and several resteraunts too.

SLEEP QUALITY
I had no complaints regarding sleep other than the obvious adjusting to time zones. Some evenings there were heavt storms that woke me, but this all made way for clear skies the next day. The bedding is very cmfortable and you can request more pillows etc if required. Robes and slipped are provided and the overall comfort of the room and slee was in my opinoon not an issue at all. In fact, sometimes it wwas hard to peel out of bed for the day ahead.

CLEANLINESS
Now, i appreciate all these views are my own personal views and i fully understand if thers disagree, but one area i couldnt disagree more is for those reviews that mention poor cleanliness. The staff are forever cleaning literally everything. All day and night. Right down to the corners of photo frames. Some may have had a bad room experience but this will be discussed in the review later. All food courts and bars were clean and cutlery and glasses fine. Some plates were chiped or had a few marks at times but there is plenty more. The chefs all clean as the go and the pools and surroundings are immaculate.

LOCATION
Possibly the only down side i could say regarding the resort. It feels a litle isolated as you enter and travel down a very long road with loats of secuiy. The towns outside are very run down and seem dangerous. You wuldnt need to leave the resort but if your wanting to see the dominican culture i wuldnt suggest this resort as a perfect location at all. It is however located on the mos stunning beach which includes a lot of activities and equipment hire of which many are free of charge. The beach is long and stunning. YES tere is at times in the mornings a reasonable ammount of seaweed bu seriously, what do some people expect. The watres are crystal clear and the staff walk the beach for miles daily to clear all they can. There is plenty of shelter and severl beds available.

ROOMS
I was upon arrivbal a little unhappy with my room. I was initally allocated a golf room which adv new ammenities and golf view. It is very out of the way and a selection of the rooms only have a distant view of the course and lake. Block 8 this was, so unless you want a 1 minute walk to dinner and the each daily as well as lesser views, then i wouldnt book these. The furnishings are not of remier standard and the shower and fride leaked. There was 2 4ft beds rather than one larger bed which as a couple is not ideal. Now if you like sleeing alone then carry on by all means. Also if your a keen glfer and travelling just for this then this also would suit your needs. he golf bar does great food away from buffet style and the service is good. Now, because i was unhappy, i enqured regading an upgrade. I was politely informed this would be dealt with and slightly unexpectedly, it was! The next day we was advised we could be reloated FREE OF CHARGE and was moved to the most amazing room facing the beach with a jacuzzi. Also a HUGE bed and much nicer furnishings. Block 4. These are situated right next t the beach, pools and main complex. Its also right nxt to the entertainment hall. It is a little noisier and far less privae. On a cuple of occassions there were people getting changed in other rooms clear to view and sometimes a little uncomfortable. These people appeared to know they could be seen however and there was nothing you could do about it. The evening skies were mainly clear and temperatues always warm. The jacuzzi is more of a large bath with low powered jets but still amazing to sit in at night with a bottle of champers. The rooms are very clean, include mini bar, safe, ironing facilities and har dryer. Towels are replaced daily and beds also made (unless you ask not to) Sometimes the room service is done later in the day which is a pain if you are trying to get ready for dinner etc, but you can call guest services and ask for them to do it soner if it hasnt been done. Leave a small tip for the maids and they will ensure all is fine daily for you. he mini bar isnt very adequatly filled but has the basics. A few beers and soft drinks but thats all.

BEVERAGE SELECTION
I am not an avid drinker so probobly not a god area for me to comment on. I do however belive hat there is alot of spirits on ffer. If you want basic vodka or bicardi, they dont really understand always so ask for white rum etc. They have whisky suc as baileys and all inclued. The make cocktails upon request and happ to help always. For kuids there is slush puppys and soft drinks too. I see the wine list was very expensive and i dont drink wine so please check other reviews. Alot more to drink was availale than i thought and the presidente beer is nice to drink. They do light and regular versions.

FOOD
Now me and my partner are a little fussy with food but even still, its hard to not be satisfied with the food on offer. At breakfast you do not have to go to the main buffet. You can goto the sprts bar or golf bar and have a seated menu meal. This also applies at lunch times. The evening meals have lenty to offer with 7 or 8 options other than the buffet. The buffet is like any other buffet. Loads on offer and pasta and omlettes etc cooked in front of you fresh. Very continental feel and plenty of juice and coffee etc. Water always filled up for you. Sometimes busy but always a table. Decoration is very good. Food standards in buffet okay, not great but better than many buffets ive had previously. If you dont like ti, then its very very easy to reserve tables in other locations that are very nice. I recommend the italian and the mexican highly. The steak house is typical steak house.

Overall i am still ather baffled by the many negative reorts. The place is immaculate. The food on offer is wide and the drinks are plenty. The resort is huge with so much to do. Golf, spa, tennis, football, activities, Pools, games room, disco, casino, shopping, entertainment and so on.

Many bnegative points can be so easilly avoided. If you dont like the room unlikely) they will upgrade you. If the buffets not for you, theres plenty else. If you want romance stay near the lake. Fun and views go near the ools and beach. Get involved and make the most of it. I for one had the most memorable holiday with my partner ever. The zoo trip was good also. Pretty run down but the shows were amazing. You get hassled a little for the shops there but just say no. Its there livelyhood, there culture and language so some people expect too much. If you want british speaking, british food and british drinks..... benidorm is just fine. Barcelo is large, clean, friendly and overall very very good! Some negative points are simply minor.

Hope this helps.

9This is a personal view, please take from it as you wish)

Room Tip: If you dont ask, you dont get. Lake views are romantic but out the way. Beach and pool rooms are clo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Beautiful place to stay, we loved it here! The rooms were so clean, king sized bed (blanket & pillows) were like sleeping on a cloud, food was excellent, our 14 yr old son loved the pool, beach and gym, he had many kids his own age to hang with and the people who work there were very friendly. If you want to see good shows, they have a beautiful theater and lots of stores on site to shop in. Places to eat everywhere too, never a day went by where I was hungry, towels by the pool were nice and warm when given to you and plenty of activities to do with your kids.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Lakes on the golf course, beautiful!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The boy and I visited Punta Cana for 3 nights in May. When we landed it was raining, but the bellman told us not to worry, it doesn't rain much here. He was right! The next few days were beautiful. Don't forget your sunscreen as we both got fried (and fair skin we are not). The ocean was warm and there are plentiful pools to cool off in. We didn't use the swim up bar much, it tends to be the most crowded and we didn't mind having to walk to bring us to the beach with us. The real piece de resistance was the room. We had an ocean view with our own hot tub, which got use every evening after a night cap. The room was large, the bed was a king and extremely comfortable. Beer was provided in the mini as well as some waters, soda and snacks. We loved the buffet for breakfast, but not so much for lunch, they cater to the European crowd with hot meals while we would prefer a sandwich or burger. The a la carte restaurants were great, we enjoyed our meals there with the sushi restaurant being the fav. Do make your reservations as soon as you check in and adhere to the dress code. We had to walk back to the room the first night as the boy had shorts on. We would definitely return to Punta Cana and would stick with the Barcelo. In fact, when we travel now, we look for Barcelo's as our first choice!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our first time visiting Punta Cana but it won't be our last. We were there from Nov 18-24 and had a wonderful experience. As you read these reviews, bare in mind that some people are really picky and will complain about everything under the sun, the sun included! I'm a well traveled person, but I'm not overly critical either. So sit back and let me give you my take on this resort.

CHECK IN: I was already preparing myself for the worst based on the reviews I had been reading. Well, it wasn't a smooth process. Lol. Only b/c our reservation was mysteriously cancelled. With that all being said, they were able to rectify the situation and we were in our room in no time. I didn't think it was that bad consdering how I read some people took an hour to check in with no complications.

LOCATION: Perfect! It's only about 25 mins (if that) from the airport. I also love the total seclusion that the property sits on. Coconut/palm trees are everywhere and it adds a lush, tropical ambiance. It was absolutely beautiful. The ground were well maintained and you could see workers constantly cleaning up, trimming, etc.

SERVICE: As many have already pointed out, there is a bit of a language barrier at times and that was mainly with the servers. With some pointing and a little bit of acting out pictionary-style, I was able to communicate. Lol. It can be frustrating BUT, I only noticed this when it was time to eat. Everyone at the front desk, gift shops, bartenders, etc spoke enough English to understand. Shame on me for going to a country and not brushing up on basic Spanish. I mean afterall it is their country and spanish is their native tongue. It really didn't bother me, but for some it might. Everyone was very friendly though and bent over backwards to accomodate us.

FOOD: C'mon people, it's an all inclusive buffet! It is what it is. I actually found the food to be rather decent. Again, I'm not picky but unlike some people that stated the food was terrible, not so. There was enough variety to find SOMETHING you could eat/like/tolerate. The a la carte's were delicious. We did Mexican, Japenese, Italian and the Steakhouse. The steakhouse was our least favorite. If you only pick one, I suggest Italian.

BEACHES: Guess it depends on what you deem a nice beach. My husband is from the Bahamas so he's not easily impressed. Yes the water was murky and there was quite of bit of seaweed near the shoreline. However, I still thought it was beautiful. The water was nice and calm which was perfect for me since I'm not big into waves and have small children.

ROOMS: LOVE the modern approach. Our room was spacious and clean. Had a fully stocked mini bar, jacuzzi on balcony and electronic safe which was very important to me. There was even a decent amount of english speaking channels. The only thing I will say is that if you have older children and privacy is an issue b/w you and your children, don't get the JR Suite Deluxe. There is no privacy at all. My kids are young (7&8) so it didn't bother me, but we already discussed that we would do the family room next time so we could get more privacy coming out of the shower.

ENTERTAINMENT: Well, we entertained ourselves mostly. Lol. However, I did partake in some dance lessons which was a lot of fun. We did some paddleboating and went to the Michael Jackson show in the theatre which was a pleasant suprise. There was entertainment and since we are more of a laid back family, I'm not the best to rate this. I will say that I recently went to Dreams in Cancun and I recall them having more outdoor entertainment like group volleyball, water aerobics, dance lessons, etc. Seems like they had something every hour there as oppose to Barcelo. Again, I wasn't trying to be bother with all the entertainment, so I could be wrong. Perhaps there was group activities every hour, on the hour. Correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, there is a Casino and disco too.

POOLS: They rock! There are so many areas to cool off and so many different pools. You never felt like you were on top of people. There were PLENTY of chairs everywhere! Poolside and beachside. I also want to note the new water park. No it wasn't included in the "all inclusive", but it was worth the $40 ($10pp once you use the coupon they give you at check in). We spent all day there and even did mini golf. Our kids really enjoyed it....ok, so did I.

MISC: The best cup of coffee I've ever had was in the Cigar lounge. OMG!!! Just do it!!! If you can't tolerate all the cigar smoke, you can sit outside and they'll come serve you.

If I had to make any suggestions, I would suggest free Wifi in the lobby area at least. I would also suggest doing away with the towel card system. I understand they probably do this to reduce cost in purchasing more towels, but it would be one less thing to keep up with while on vacation. Overall, this was the perfect family vacation for us. We had a wonderful time and can't find any reason NOT to return here again.

Room Tip: Had room 5224. Perfect because it was centered around all the restaraunts, pools and the beach witho...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe? Share your experiences!