“Great Excursion” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 161 Activities in Punta Cana
Type: Surf Camps, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Three Jesus loving friends with more than 30 years of experience, got together to share their Stoke and all the benefits that Surfing gave them through their life; teaching kids from 4 to 76 years old to Surf, to respect the ocean and nature in general. We are in one of the most beautiful and undeveloped beaches of the Dominican Republic, on the Punta Cana area: Macao Beach, a localism free beach where everybody is welcome, with six different breaks and one of the safest beaches to learn how to surf, and yet exciting enough for experienced surfers. Literally making dreams come true, specially for those that dreamed all their life about riding waves, for those that want to make Surfing their main sports activity, and also for those that just want to get Surfing out of their "bucket list". Surf Shack with showers and lockers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Burlington, Canada
“Great Excursion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My review is similar to what everyone else has written before me, except my wife and I were fortunate to have been met by Daniel (owner's son) and his lovely girl friend at our hotel. He answered a lot of my many questions and some good laughs were had, a good start. As a first time surfer (56 yrs old) it was a great experience. What I noticed was how eager the instructors were to help. They really wanted everyone to experience surfing. We had 21 in our group on the morning of Feb 25. Not mentioned in previous reviews: it's a long walk from the training area to the beach where the actual surfing is held, the instructors carry the boards, apply lots of sun screen, should do some stretching before hand as the activity can be strenuous.

There are lockers at the 'hut' for your bags, a shower and cold beer are available after surfing. This excursion is not currently available at the hotels so you will have to send them an email to confirm a day and pick up time. It was worth the money spent and I would try this again.

Toronto, Canada
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Went with a large group of all beginners and I was impressed with how well we were managed. We were quick to get our lesson and in the water we went, everybody got the hang of it with lots of support from the instructors. After we were finished they had coconuts and bananas waiting on the beach, overall great day, highly recommended!

Texas
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've put off reviewing this place for no other reason than my laziness.

I booked this excursion for my November 2012 trip. Rafael was very quick to respond to emails and very helpful. The day of our excursion, Daniel came to pick my bf and I up at our hotel. He and his gf were soo friendly. We were joined at their camp with another group of about 9-10 adults and children.

We had a little training session before we went to the area where we would surf. They took us to a calmer area. Each person had an instructor, and some, like me, had 2. One to send me off into the waves and one to catch me at the end. It seemed that everyone was able to get on the board a few times. Honestly, I was probably the worst one, and I was even able to get on the board a couple times. Daniel took over to help give me tips on how I could stay on the board. He also switched my board, which definitely helped. Despite not always being able to get on the board, I still had a blast.

There was a photographer there to take pics of everyone. At the end, you can choose to buy a DVD of your pics. The instructors made sure my bf and I surfed by each other so that we could get pics together. Overall, I was really impressed and would recommend this excursion to everyone.

Visited November 2012
Saint Thomas, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Catching a wave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Icing on the cake of a great vacation in the DR! We were looking for 'adventures' that we hadn't tried and I'm so, so glad we picked surf camp. Absolutely one of the best days I've ever had on vacation. And, it was easy to arrange. Our Air Transat rep very kindly passed us the phone number, guest services at IFA equally as kindly called the camp for us and then I was transferred to someone that spoke English and made a date for the next day. We were picked up by Rafael from Bavaro Beach and, during the drive to Macao Beach, were entertained with great conversation and site seeing. Once we landed at the beach, I have to admit the waves were a bit intimidating, but our "on the beach" instructor was quick to assure us that we'd be using a part of the beach with a much lower surf. The instruction was thorough and while you might wonder why such simple moves are emphasized and repeated, you soon find out how quickly they fly out of your head! After strolling down the beach and meeting our surf teams, we were quickly attached to our boards and in the water. Out we went, what was that first instruction???? Oh, yeah hang onto to the top of the board. I now know how important that is, at least my ribs do! It seemed like moments and my board was turned around. Was I ready? Yeah! Stand up. Stand up. Stand up. I'm standing up! I'm surfing! I'm falling! As I come back up to the surface, I'm thinking that was the most amazing thing I've ever done. My next thought was thank goodness they gave us lycra t-shirts, since my bathing suit top would have been long gone. The guys were awesome with tips on how to lay on board, position feet, bend knees, etc. They also looked after picking us and our boards out of the surf, getting us back out for another round and sending us in on just the right waves. I was having so much fun, I didn't really want to take a break, but we did take 15 minutes to relax, catch our breath, enjoy some coconut milk and have more pictures taken with our boards. Then back for round two! It is truly an amazing experience to find yourself skimming along the edge of a wave and actually staying balanced on top of your board. Could be my new favourite activity!

Practical tips - take cash and snug swim suit! Lessons were $70US, pics (which I normally don't buy, but couldn't resist) were $40 for two of us and you just have to tip the guys for looking out for you and making it a great day. We actually didn't have enough cash and had to hit the cash machine at the hotel when we got back to pay for the excursion! But no one was worried.

Grande Prairie, Canada
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have been on excursions in many parts of the world and this is the first one i have ever felt compelled to write a review for. This is an absolutely fantastic excursion! My daughters (20 & 17 years) and I learned how to surf with Macao surf camp on Feb. 18. My wife wasn't able to do the lesson as she hurt her back but they let her come along to watch and hang out at this beautiful beach. We planned the date and time with Rafeal via email. We were shocked to have one to coaching in the water. The one on one instruction allowed everyone to experience success. The boards we used were in great condition. They gave us rash guards to wear and lockers to lock our belongings. They gave us a mid morning rest break and locals provided us with coconut water to drink, oranges and bananas to eat. My only complaint is that I had to pay for the lesson and pictures with cash which didn't leave me enough money to sufficiently tip the instructors.

I highly recommend this excursion. I will definitely do another lesson when I am back in Punta Cana.

Dave Pilger