“Solo Surfing at 44 years old!” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
“Solo Surfing at 44 years old!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

What an awesome experience! First off, it was very easy to make a reservation just a week before my trip. Rafael suggested that I go early in my trip. And, I was very glad I did. I twisted my knee the day before my reservation and was unfortunately, not able to get up on the board. This was like the first time this had ever happened to one of their guests. But, after a few days my knee mended enough for me to give it another try and I was able to get up on the board and surf. I simply gave Rafael a call and arranged for someone to pick me up the next day. Best way to contact is email: macaosurfcamp@gmail.com. From there, Rafael will give you his number.
As mentioned in a previous review the cost is $80 for about 3 hours. But, that rate goes down if there are more people in your group going. I think $70 for 2 or 3 and $60 for 4 and up, each.
Daniel and his girlfriend Beth, picked me up at Now Larimar Resort at 8:30 a.m.. From my hotel it was about a 15 minute drive to Macao Beach. Daniel speaks fluent English, and it was really great to talk to someone who knew the area and surfing. Beth also spoke English. She was a lot of fun to look, er I mean, talk to. I believe Daniel also speaks some French too. Gustavo, his father and co-owner of the camp, has a strong and friendly personality. I liked him immediately. He gave about a 15 minute instructional lesson that basically covers getting up on the board, turning, and safely getting or falling off. That's all you need! Then, your personal instructor walks with you and the board down the beach to catch some waves. He helps give you a push when a good wave comes along. After the 15 minute lesson and maybe 15 minutes in the water, you're surfing! A young man, and I can't remember his name, takes photos of you while you surf. They're great shots, and well worth the, optional, $25. You don't have to get the photos, but it's well worth it!!! They have a dog named Jack that surfs too. The beach, itself, is gorgeous, and recedes very gradually into the ocean. There's a cliff at the edge, and when I was there, there were several couples getting professional photos taken of them. There's no one hounding you to buy stuff. Just a beautiful beach, with a few surfers, hanging loose and trying to catch some waves. First time surfing was hell of a rush! Once you get up for the first time, it's really quite awesome! I would go back again and again.
It's basically a family run business. And, that's how they treat you. Like family.
Thanks to all of my new friends at Macao Surf Camp! You helped make my vacation, one to talk about and share with all my friends back home!

Lethbridge, Alberta
“Amazing :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Was an amazing experience! I'm not a natural surfer, and they were incredibly patient, happy and positive. Every question we asked was answered, with a ton of information about the locals, on the trip to and from our hotel. Couldn't have asked for a better trip. Can't wait to go again :-)

Newmarket, Ontario
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome personal surf instruction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great staff, great location and great value! I would do this again and again. Special thanks to Daniel and his father who are truly awesome people.

New York City, New York
“You Should try it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been to Macao Surf Camp for the last three years. I always have a good experience. The beach is beautiful, the waves are definitely rideable, and the Macao Surf staff takes care of you.

You really owe it to yourself to leave your resort and try this beach and Macao Surf Camp.

Nick B.

Visited January 2012
Madison
3 attraction reviews
“Best Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our family spent a morning @ Macao Surf Camp. We are a family of 4 (kids 9 & 7). Our lesson began on the beach with clear instruction (in English). All of the instructors were excellent...motivating, patient, and really dedicated to making sure you are successful, specifically Gustavo, Daniel, and George. I never in a million years would have dreamed I could have surfed but I did!!! You surf for a while, take a break with fresh coconut water, and then it's back into the water. The service offered by Macao is top notch. We kind of felt guilty when they carried our boards for us but you could tell their attitude was "this is the way we do things here" so, no worries. Macao Beach is a beautiful place and you can sense the respect the company has for the amazing beach where they get to spend their days teaching others to surf. We would have gone back for another lesson if we had more time. Oh, and the Golden Retriever in the pics is "Jack" and yes, he really does surf!

Visited November 2012