“enjoyed nh royal beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Palos Hills, Illinois
“enjoyed nh royal beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

A repeat of posting about the NH Royal Beach - original posted to Iberostar by mistake - we loved the food and liquor and entertainment at NH Royal Beach. All the restaurants (Pure, ElMOrtero, Grill, Asian, Sense) were excellent and the menus were varied - the entertainment was a super surpirse - it was great - the Cirque, Michael Jackson, Caribe, Kareoke. The liquor was superior and the bartenders did not 'cheat' on mixing - we have been to many all inclusive resorts in Mexico and Punta Cana and the food and liquor here were one fo the best. The property was 'Euro-chic' in style and minimalist - the staff was very polite and helpful (but then, our demands are few) and our room was always clean - we have no interest in the mini-bar since the bars offered the best drinks.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Palos Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

We spent a lovely week at the NH Royal Beach. We have traveled to Punta Cana and various all inclusive resorts many times. The NH accomodations were very comfortable and the service by all staff was exceptional. They offer a 'Butler Service' and Erik Francoise was very helpful in managing several issues for us. We found the food here to be one of the best that we have had - in all of our tirps in Punta Cana, the Riviera Maya and Xtapa - the food here rated at the very top. Pure, ElMortero, The Grill, Asian, Sense restaurants all offered delicious food and very interesting menus. The liquor at all the bars was top quality and the bartenders made good drinks (there was no 'cheating' on the liquor). The buffet and all the restaurants, all the meals were superior. We found a very pleasant surprise in that the shows were actually very good -we loved the Cirque, Michael Jackson, Caribe, and Kareoke. The decor and architecture is minimalist or what can be called.'Euro-chic' - not a personal preference, but the food and liquor outweighed all of this.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

My husband and I just got back from our Thanksgiving trip to the NH Royal Beach and can't wait to return!!!

We stumbled upon a great deal so we decided to cancel our Mexico trip for our anniversary and venture to the Dominican Republic for a new adventure. After reading many reviews over a couple of weeks we settled on the NH Royal Beach. We found such a great deal directly through the hotel website that we just booked directly with the hotel instead of purchasing a package on another travel site.

When we got to the hotel front desk I began to worry a bit due to the attitude and aloofness of the lady assisting us. Another group was checking in next to us and seemed to be having a very easy and fun time. Very different from our experience beside them. The lady assisting us seemed unable, at first, to assist us without some form of written confirmation of our reservation or our hotel voucher. I tried to explain that I had none of these as I never received any of these things, but assured her she would find my reservation if she simply searched my last name. FINALLY...she agreed and she handed us the check-in papers, pointed to the frontdoor man and told us to enjoy our stay. Hmmm....the group beside us seemed to have received a lot more information than we did and a map, etc., but whatevs...let's just get this thing going.

From that moment on everything was close to perfect. All staff that we encountered from that moment on were so nice and friendly!!! The frontdoor man went out of his way to show us EVERY little detail of our room and explained where everything on the property was. He even correctly assumed that we were starving from our travels and showed us exactly where we could get some food at that time of day. The room was clean and plenty large enough. We were on the 3rd floor in approximately the middle of the property and had a lovely view of the grounds, the lazy river, the pool and a distant ocean view.

The food is not outstanding by any means, but it is definitely not horrible. We found something to eat at every meal and neither one of us contracted any type of serious illness. We both, after different meals, had upset stomachs, but nothing that interferred with our vacation in any way. A tip---just assume you will get diarrhea and bring some immodium and gas-x!!! We missed our dinner reservations every single night except one so we can really only comment on the buffet and Pure. The buffet is sufficient to fill your belly at any meal and Pure was decent. My husband did get his upset stomach after our meal at Pure, but I felt fine...he thinks it might have been the fish they served (which I also ate). I do have 2 complaints, however, about eating in the buffet area: 1) The water refills are few and far between. After downing diarrhea meds, drinking, and being in the sun a person tends to be a bit dehydrated and those little wine glasses of water every 20 minutes just don't cut it!!! 2) On several occassions we were asked to move due to "reservations" at that particular table. Now, I am not talking someone had already claimed the table and went to get a refill, etc. I mean we were told that table had been reserved for another person/group who was not even in the dining area at that time. There were no "reserved" signs on the tables any of the times we were asked to move. Each time we were asked to move the servers were very nice and moved our plates for us. However, on the last occassion, we had already begun eating and were abruptly told to "please move". We asked why and the server (Gomez) pointed to a Nescafe coffee container (which was present on many of the tables) and said "reserved". I asked why the coffee container meant that it was reserved and he simply said "Yes, please lady, you have to get up.". He did not assist with our plates...just stared at us. No one ever showed up at that table the entire time we were dining. We assume that the person who "reserved" that table simply tipped the server to reserve the table for the duration of their stay. Extremely irritating especially since each time we were not even at "desirable" tables such as the ones on the decks, etc. Don't understand it and don't like it.

The pool was fabulous. We spent our entire days at the pool bar and enjoyed many fabulous drinks...Deibe is an outstanding bartender and makes awesome drinks!!! We didn't venture into the lazy river mainly because we realized that it was completely cut off from the bar...how does one get a refill??? As is the same with any other resort anywhere else in the world, all of the lounge chairs were "reserved" by the crack of dawn. We don't exactly enjoy baking in the sun on a chair so that was not a huge issue for us...just plopped our belongings down next to the pool and climbed in!!! OH...the pool was ridiculously cold...yowsers!!! However, after a few drinks you barely notice, but wow!!!

The entertainment at night is entertaining. I got some really good photos of the fire performers and cirque performers. Most are pretty skilled and appear to enjoy what they are doing. We didn't hang around the live band area too often as they seemed to be playing primarily 80's music...not really our thing, but others seemed to really enjoy it.

I do want to give a GINORMOUS shout of praise to frontdoor man Antonio!!! I unexpectedly received my...ummm....womanly gift...late one night after the gift shop had closed and Antonio quickly and discreetly whisked us away on a golf cart to the employee supermercado. Antonio went in and purchased my needs and received some harrassment from some of the other employees. He was so very nice for doing what he did and I know that must have been very embarrassing for him. He even taught me the proper name in Spanish in case I ever find myself in that situation again...toile y sanitaria!!!

Overall, the NH Royal Beach is a great value for the money!!! The people of the Dominican Republic are so nice and friendly. We will definitely be back very soon!!!

delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We requested and paid for an ocean view room. When we arrived at the resort, Roberto, the front desk manager, admitted getting my request(s) by email (even though he did not reply) for a ocean view, top floor room close to the beach. He was condescending and uncooperative. He gave us a 2nd floor room with only a tiny corner of a view of the ocean to be seen only when you go out onto the balcony. It was not close to the beach. This was not the ocean view room we paid extra for and had reserved. We were very disappointed in the resort. Erica, the quality control expert, called us and arranged for us to have a top floor ocean view, finally by the third day of our stay. The move was a interruption in our vacation but well worth it.
Emanuella, Alberto, Jullian, and Erica all tried to help us and make us happy. They are really lovely people and assets to the resort. The food was good. The Mexican restaurant (El Motero) was so outstanding we went there twice. We could have done without Pure. The buffet was good. I saw a few folks use fingers instead of tongs :-( and it made me lose my appetite. We did have some diarrhea and I stayed in one night. I found out that you can order foods other than what is on the room service menu. For instance we ordered omletts and sausage for breakfast. Eating breakfast on the balcony was a treat. The room was clean. The maids were perfect. The resort was pretty. Gleny gave my husband a deep tissue massage at the spa. He LOVED IT! The staff were friendly and helpful, except for Roberto at the front desk. I recommend this resort just as long as you don't expect to get an ocean view room. You may be disappointed.

Paso Robles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

This resort was beautiful! The hospitality was outstanding and the resort was spotless. The people of the Dominican Republic were so nice. The beach was gorgeous, we went on long walks everyday. You do get approached by the locals wanting to sell you exursions or wanting you to come to their shop to buy things. You have to take that in stride, it is what it is, but we never felt in danger. Some friends of ours stayed at another resort. They said the resort they were staying at was more of a "party" scene and our resort was more of an R&R style. If that is what you are looking for, this is the place for you.

Stevens Point, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Date of stay: Nov.13-20,2010
Shared transfer ride from the Airport was 20 minutes after stopping twice on the way. We were greeted by hotel staff with a fruity drink upon arrival in lobby. The rooms were very nice. Mini fridge in room stocked with beer,soda and bottled water daily. Coffee maker in room with Dominican coffee provided. Every room has a jacuzzi tub on the balcony. Lazy river type pool set up, which is nice if you like to swim laps. Swim-up bar in main pool. There was pool and beach drink service. Breakfast was a buffet with many options,cook to order omelettes, and fresh smoothies. Lunch was either the buffet or the beach grill. Evening dining options for the a'la carte restaurants included the restaurants at the ROYAL as well as the restaurants at the NH REAL right next door. All meals were very good. The dining at the PURE restaurant was good, but count on being there at least 2 hours +. One night a week they have a beach lobster dinner which is an additional $29 per person. Or you can eat lobster at the buffet. Evening entertainment varied from live music, to music videos played on a large screen in the courtyard, to a cirque show with local artists.
The beach here is gorgious. The first couple days there was alot of seaweed washing in from the storm that had just passed through the previous week, but this got better day by day as we were there. The hotel staff is raking it up off the sand daily. You can walk for miles along the beach. You WILL get locals asking you to buy just about anything. I was called twice during our stay by Customer Service to make sure that everything was going good for us, and that nothing was wrong with our room or our stay.
I would recommend this property to anyone looking for an adults only property with a great beach and great service.

Delran, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

This was our third trip to Punta Cana in the last 3 years so we are familiar with other adult only all-inclusive resorts.

The hotel was as pictured beautiful and very clean. The beach was beautiful, lots of natural shade from Palm trees. I suppose there had been a storm, the water was churned up with lots of seaweed and plastic trash in the water.

Most of the other guests were European - mostly Germans. We only had the staff to interact with and most of them only speak Spanish - not a negative, it is their country.

The food was average. The service was excellent accept for the usual "Welcome" which we have stopped going to because we know they're trying to sell us timeshares or excursions. If we wanted these services, we would have booked them. Apparently, you can't get your departure information without this service, unless you threaten to speak to a manager. None ot this is unique to this hotel.

The hotel is new and I know there had been a tropical storm a week or so before our visit, but I couldn't get over the moldy smell and dampness in our room - which was the 3rd room offered to us after we complained about the smell in our first room on the ground level. The one we ended up in still had a smell and the sheets always felt damp. I believe this is due to the fact that there is no fan in the bathroom and there is a beautiful shower in the bathroom that I'm sure most guests take advantage of some time during the day. All the steam gets sucked into the air conditioning.

Anyway, I would not recommend this hotel to Americans, unless you want complete isolation and I don't know if the smell is an ongoing problem or just due to the weather. If you do decide to stay there, ask for a room on the third floor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!