“Beautiful Beach, Nice Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beautiful Beach, Nice Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Stayed March 21 - 28, Arrived at the resort to find the personable Darling. We were asked to upgrade to a beach front room. This was okay, but it was in the Real Arena and not in the Royal Beach as what we had booked. So I can not comment on the rooms at the Royal. The upgrade was great (rm 2291, but 2292 & 2293 or 2391 2391 on third floor looked just as nice), Full size hot tube and shower on deck. Watched the sun rise every morning. The tubs at the Royal looked like bathroom jacuzzi tubes on the deck, still a lot of fun. We had all access to the Royal property and equipment, bars. The view did overlook the small pool at the Real, so there were kids and small children. Great place to read. We would only have to take a short walk to the adult pool bar at the Royal. Although the chairs were hard to find, sitting on the edge of the pool was good. The lower rooms at the Royal had the hot tubs on the ground floor outside but also had there own lounge chairs in front of the room deck by the winding pool. The place is simple, great and relaxing.
The pool was fantastic. looked cleaner then on the Real side, but was also newer and no kids. They did have a winding pool, but no floats. People were passing them on when they left the hotel.
The beach was incredible. They had a beach bar the was cool and had a breeze. We never did get a hut to stay under since everyone would run out and put towels on them by 5:30, we could stand on our deck and watch everyone all going out. The beach could be walked in both directions, approximately 1 mile north was El Corticito and 1 mile south was a flea mart. Not much service on the beach so be ready for a walk and bring water "GOOD WATER" The water in the DR is not drinkable.
The restaurants at the hotel were not that great, the buffet was much better. The Real Festival buffet had a better selection and you could wear shorts at night. The beach buffet at the Real had a great barbeque chicken which we ended up going to each day. We ate at the Mexican and Italian. The Mexican steak was very good, but I got sick after eating at the Italian and the service at the Italian was poor and the room was very hot (they do not pump up the A/C). We did eat a lot of breakfasts and dinners at the Royal Buffet because we could sit outside with a view of the incredible beach. The service was good, a thank you to Abraham for good service. You only get wine white or red or beer as a drink selection, water was good or juice in the morning. No mixed drinks or Coke Light. The breeze off the beach made this place the most relaxing. We did get room service for breakfast one day and it was very good. I put photos up.
The service at the bars was good, the hard working Pedro got me a drink in a Pineapple, and had some very good Dirty Monkeys. The room service was good, got our bed and room cleaned every day. Drinks where replaced in the frig, we did get what was requested. Remember we where in the Real side though, do not now how room service was in Royal.
The language is Spanish, so pick up a couple of words. Very international so you will hear a lot of French and other languages. The place is hot, bring plenty of sun tan lotion and enjoy the beach.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Springfield, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I have been to Punta Cana nine times. We got hooked on a previous resort for the first eight years but decided to finally experience an adult-only resort. NH Royal Resort just opened in December 2009. I am not sure but I think it's sister resort, NH Real, may have been recently purchased by Edenh. NH only needs minimal improvement(s) as it just opened December 2009.

All travelors have certain expectations prior to arrival and if they are not met, well, you will see by the reviews that some leave. What's important to one is not quite so important to
another...it's a vacation, relax!

All the staff are wonderfully friendly! A big shout out to Yodasta and Jacqueline, German and Francis, and Willie (Wilken) who just had a one week old bambino while we were there. I hold the Dominicans with a very high regard as to their work ethics (long days and long hours with very little time away from the resort) and their love of music (as you will see or hear them humming or singing or dancing). Meeting the expectations of all visitors has to be really difficult but still come back with a smile and trying to please, i.e., saw a few visitors throwing little hissy fits when they didn't get their coffee within their timeframe. Note: staff has rules to follow just like we do at our positions (you just did not take the time to notice how it works).

The grounds are beautiful, the beach is a very cool powdery white, the ocean is clear and clean, the sky is so vast and blue and the stars are so bright, the pools are relaxing, the rooms are clean and spacious and sound proof, and the food is pretty good. The Presidente is excellent! We ate at the buffets for all meals.The ultimate was eating breakfast on the beach at the buffet and grilled lobster on Wednesday evenings. I did not experience the speciality restaurants at NH. At our previous resort that we still love dearly, we found it not worth the hassle of the reservation nor was the food worth it. I am sure that the cooks are all from the DR and have not been to a culinary school. So, the food that is served is the best they know how to do which is done in Dominican flare. This is not a bad thing because I ate really well this week. I was never hungry because of the huge selections of food. But, if you are used to eating like royalty in your country, just remember you may also eat like Dominican royalty in their country their way.

I had no problems with our rooms, service,or entertainment. The one issue that bothered me was that I had emailed the resort several times with a request. I never received an answer.

If I could offer you any suggestion, let it be this one: just come to enjoy your vacation and keep the negativity and bad manners at home and you will have a great vacation and will leave happy.

Also, upon check out, keep your check-out ticket in your hand as you will need it to board your shuttle bus to the airport. I only tell you this as the shuttle usually picks up travelors at several resorts and it helps to speed up the process.

I definitely would go back as we had a great and relaxing vacation. I would highly recommend this resort. Learn to say hola and par favor and gracias before you go.

We also loved the new addition to the Higuey Airport.

Wallingford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I just returned from my vacation at the NH Royal Beach Resort in Punta Cana. I am so happy that I stayed at this resort. It was nice not to have kids running around in the resort also. It was very clean and well kept. The staff at the Royal were wonderful! They were so nice, attentive, and accommodating. I truly felt like a queen staying there. I went to the NH Real next door a few times and the service wasn't as good. The rooms were beautiful and didn't have a musty smell that typically happens. The only down side that I have is that the set up isn't that great. It seemed like a far walk to get anywhere. Most of the restaurants were good. The two at the Royal were the best followed by the Asian place at the Real. The Shore Grill was ok and the BBQ place wasn't that good. I read reviews about the buffet food not being good, but it was for both lunch and dinner! The drinks at the bars were great! The only other issue is that the rules about not saving a tiki hut or chairs by the pool aren't enforced. You can either wake up and get down there before 6am to get your own or talk to a staff member about taking the people's stuff off the chairs. The beach is very clean in comparison to the others that I saw while on a walk and the pool is warm and clean as well. I would stay at this resort again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

The NH Royal Beach all inclusive was a great experience. The staff was more than eager to please and was ready to service you with a smile. We experienced all the specialty restaurants they offered. As a guest of the Royal Beach you are allowed to use any of the facilities on the NH Arena side. Even though there are only 3 specialty restaurants on the Royal side there were 6 others you can choose from on the Arena side. All the evening shows were on the Arena side and getting there was only a very short walk (maybe 3 minutes at most) The beach is very expansive with that white powdery sand. The week we went 3/21-27 the resort was at capcity and they were short on beach chairs. You were forced to put a towel on chair around 6am to insure getting a chair. However, management was made aware of the situation and was in the process of resolving the issue. That was the only short coming of the resort. I have been to many other all inclusives than the NH royal beach ranks right at the top. I strong encourage it the next time you look for an all inclusive in Punta Cana.

Sterling Height, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Vacationed at the NH Royal Beach Resort, Punta Cana, D.R. a week beginning March 18th.
THE GOOD: It is a new resort. Room was very comfortable. The grounds are very clean. Housekeeping staff did an excellent job. All the employees were friendly. Food and drinks were good. Outstanding beach and pool.
THE BAD: We have been to about 60 all-inclusive resorts and this is the first one where men had to wear long pants when eating at the evening buffet. Women can wear anything short of a bathing suit.
There weren't enough lounge chairs on the beach or around the pool to accommodate the number of guests. After the first morning I was going to the beach at 5:00 am to assure a spot under a papala. By 7:00 am all the spots where taken. Guests were taking chairs from the beach bar to sit on. Many people sat on towels. I believe many visitors went out late a night and put their towels on the chairs. It was the same at poolside. The resort says it has a “no reserving” policy. If they have, they don’t enforce it.
We don’t know where all the people went to in the evening, the restaurants were never crowded. We ate at the Italian, Mexican and Steak House restaurants. Food was good, but nothing to write home about.
Internet service is available. $4.00 for 15 minutes, $7.00 for 30 minutes and $12.00 for a hour. WiFi is $25.00 for 24 hours or $60.00 for 7 days.
This is an adult’s only resort and I’m guessing that the average age was around 60 years old.
If you have any questions, I recommend you contact us at 40franks@att.net. I don’t check my Trip Advisor mail daily.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

March 16-23. This was our seventh stay in DR, our fourth in Punta Cana, and first in NH Royal. After reading all of the reviews, we expected a perfect week (except for predicted showers). Upon arrival, we were told that our room was not ready at 2:40, but should be in about an hour (3:00 is lthr isted check-in). They did give us a room number so we could reserve restaurants, but most nights we could only book at 7:00 or 9:30 or later. We came back an hour later and were taken to our room--but the room was occupied, so they gave us the one next door. Why were we waiting an hour for a room that wasn't available? That was our first clue that the hotel administration here is suspect. The safe didn't work and the patio door jammed, but these were minor problems. We were in a pool/ocean facing room on the 3rd floor of building five (5355). The room was spacious, clean, and very nice. The view was outstanding. The location was great, in the second unit (of 5) from the beach, so closer to beach, pool and restaurants and farther from lobby. We liked the 3rd floor for the view and privacy, but I have a bad knee so didn't appreciate that at least one of the 2 building elevators was broken every day we we there. There were 4 ice machines, all on the first floor, and frequently 3 were empty. We also found that the air conditioning had a high minimum temperaure--after a hot day in the sun, we'd like it a bit cooler at night. Notably lacking from the room was any information about the resort. We did get an envelope from check-in that provided a very basic map, restaurant hours, and some phone numbers, but that was it. Nothing about location of medical service, towels, activities, computer access, etc., and no info about how to book the kayaks and other watersports.
The meandering pool was really quite lovely and it was fun to walk or swim aound it. The beach was deep, wide, and very nice. Again--the physical aspects of the entire resort were very good and should have formed the base for a great vacation--if only they managed it better!
The palapas were insufficient in number and you really did have to be out scurrying at 6 AM or before to get one. Many were "reserved" with a magazine, towel, book or whatever, and some people got down VERY early and blocked out several palapas for their friends. The towel service was confused--you have to sign out for towels, but the beach staff collects them--so why the signout?
The Royal Buffet was, as others have noted, very good. But it is a small buffet and is the only place to eat breakfast and lunch. (Actually you can go next door to the Arena snack bar for lunch, but it is VERY crowded and has even more limited choices). So when you cannot get--or do not want--specialty restaurant reservations, you are eating 3 meals a day in the same small buffet--and it does get repetitive. At most other resorts, we may eat breakfast in the main buffet, but never lunch, and sometimes dinner. Here, although the grill was excellent--omelettes in the morning and an assortment of fish (salmon, mero, calamari) and meat (chicken, pork, beef) at lunch and dinner--even great salmon can get boring.
The buffet has a theme every night, which is also managed strangely. There is no posting of each night's theme, so you cannot make an advance choice between a great theme night and a restaurant. We've never been to a resort that did not post and advertise their themes. For your info, we found: Sat-Dominican; Sun-Italian; Mon- Spanish; Tue-Asian (with sushi); Wed-Gala (with grilled lobster tails--great!); Thurs.-American; Fri.-French. But this is the other strange thing about the themes: with the exception of the sushi and lobster, one could not tell one theme night from another--same grilled items, same pasta bar, same salads and desserts--just sort of a half-hearted attempt to create something different.
I mentioned that we reserved some restaurants before our room was changed--this caused them lots of problems. We ended up with "tickets" with the wrong room and name, because they could not manage their system. We ate in only 3 restaurants, Mexican, Italian and French. The Mexican is more of a grill, with several choices of grilled meat or fish--the only touch of Mexican we found were some nachos and salsa--that's it. The Italian offered a choice of seafood or steak, both with a heavy pasta. The French also offered a choice of seafood or steak, and had the most hurry-up service I've ever seen--like it was their goal to get us out in 40 minutes. As in some other resorts, it is puzzling why you cannot get a reservation until 10:00, but about one-third of the restaurant is always empty. Our favorite Mexican resort has done away with prior reservations--it is first come, first served with beepers--a much better system, we think. One couple we met said they avoided the time constraints by ordering room service every night--but neither we, nor Guest Services, could find a room service menu.

In all, we thoroughly enjoyed the room, the physical layout, the pools, the beach, the ocean, and most of the food. It is a shame that administrative lacks and missteps detracted (and distracted) from all of that. By the way, the showers never came--perfect weather! Would we go back? Not in a hurry, but we'll track the reviews to see if management picks up.

P.S.; Hint to NH Royal management: The single cheapest, fastest, and most effective improvement you can offer is a better information packet about the resort, services, restaurant themes, etc.--that would prevent many of the frustrations we felt, and enable people to focus more on the beauty of the resort.

Craiova
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

Everything is almost perfect ... BUT the staff was simply 2* hotels. They really have no idea what they're doing. I don't blame them, they're not specialized personnel, but the management must exist there and organize trainings to specialize them in their field of activities.. A few examples :
- we've booked a moonlight massage for 2 and had to wait 30 minutes for it !!! But we took the money back without any problems.
- we've made reservation for the mexican restaurant one evening. 1st of all it's quite an adventure to make a reservation in english language and the personnel isn't trained to use the reservations software. The food in restaurant is terrible, don't try it. The services are even worse than the food; the 'manager' could not even speak english or german or french so it was not possible to explain to her what the problem was when the lime in the plate was brought already squeezed and the food was cold and we were served 2 times the apetizers and ...
- the buffet services were also terrible and completely disorganized; there's no system behind ... we had to wait 30 minutes for one beer/water ordered 2-3 times ... and this every day, not accidentaly
As a guest of NH Hotels in Germany we booked this hotel believing that the high europen standards will be the same also over the ocean. But in 7 days we were there we were really missing it.
But enough with the bad things ... the result was not negative because everything else was perfect, really a resort to relax and enjoy the perfect sand and sea. The room was very big and clean, perfectly comfortable and the jacuzzi on the balcony added an extra flavour. For intimacy reasons we've enjoyed very much our 3rd floor room with partial ocean view. The food in bufet was also great, we've enjoyed it the morning, at noon and for dinner. Perfect pool, bar and beach services. Everything sportless clean.
We're hoping to go back but only if in the meantime we find out that the personnel was trained to offer services according to the 5* requirements.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!