“Third Attempt to Post this Review” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bourne, Massachusetts, United States
“Third Attempt to Post this Review”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I just returned from a week’s stay at Secrets Royal Beach (June 7-June 14). I have stayed all inclusive a couple of times before (Mexico and D.R.) and have to promise you this resort is not worth your money. There are plenty of options in Punta Cana, keep looking. I can not understand these 5 star reviews being given by previous travelers, as that was not our experience at all! The only thing that is excellente is the entertainment crew (Charlie Brown, Milky Way and Akon were our favorites) and many of the other people who work here (David and Jose in the NOW Buffet, Nelson at the beach grill to name a few). They deserve the 5 star reviews. The grounds are lovely, the beach is beautiful, and the resort is very, very clean. There is no free wi-fi available, not even in the lobby like every other resort I’ve been to.

We had a private transfer through Olympus. I think our driver was Gabriel. He was FABULOUS. I joked with him when we got in, asking where was the cold beer. He actually stopped at a store and ran in and got us some Presidente Light and a couple of paper cups!! We thought his service was going to be the start of an incredible week, but sadly, it was not an indication of what was to come at the resort. We tipped him $40 for the 30 minute ride. We are easy to please and truly appreciate good service.

We arrived early to the hotel, as our flight landed around noon, so I didn’t expect our room to be ready until 3. The cool towels and glass of champagne are nice touches that you get at any resort. Sure enough, we were asked to return at 3PM. I emailed the hotel manager with a room request (top floor, quiet location, sunny side) a week before my arrival. Futile effort, as our room assignment was ground floor on the shady/dark side of the resort. I requested a change. We were told to come back at 4PM. Then we were told to come back at 5PM. Finally, at 6PM we were given a room. Never were we offered the use of a hospitality room to change into our swimsuits and freshen up. At first glance, the room was nice. It was very clean and didn’t smell musty at all. The mini bar was empty. Yes, completely empty and the ceiling fan was rattling so hard I thought it would fall to the floor. Maintenance came and removed the chain from it’s light so the noise would be less and mini bar service arrived (warm). This room also had a leaking toilet which we didn’t discover until 10PM when we returned from dinner our first night. Despite numerous visits from maintenance telling us it was fixed, the floor continued to flood. Given the lighting conditions in the room, this was quite dangerous. You couldn’t see the water, but would slip on the floor. Finally, at the end of our second day of complaining about the toilet we were moved to another room without even an apology for the inconvenience. We had to pack all our things and unpack again. Honestly, this is not 5 star service. It was stressful, frustrating and wasteful of my precious vacation time. This room smelled very musty and was still very close to the plaza (nighttime noise until after 11PM.) The TV didn’t work, but was quickly replaced by maintenance twice and again the ceiling fan rattled to the point that we couldn’t use it while sleeping. At the end of the week, I went to the front desk to request a delayed checkout (1.5 hours) and Edward (the same desk clerk who I complained to about all the room problems) told me it would be an extra $20. I told him it would be $0 dollars given all of the problems we had. I was appalled that he would try to charge me. Yet another example of poor service.

Pay attention to all the reviews about the lighting conditions- they still exist. The lighting is beyond horrible. We couldn’t see a thing while trying to apply our makeup and do our hair. We had a problem with our shower running out onto the floor as well. There’s only a slight lip of the floor to stop the water and our drain didn’t keep up with the shower and overflowed onto the floor. A second bathmat would have helped, but despite asking every day, we only got an extra one time. The beds are ok. Not amazingly comfortable like most high end resorts and the linens in the second room smelled musty.

We found the food to be mostly inedible. The only good meals we had were at the Carnival buffet on the NOW side. Who wants to spend $4,000.00 to eat buffet all week? The food at Spice was good, but the Hibachi ‘show’ was a joke. Our chef and his sidekick simply cooked/served the food. They rushed you out of there in 45 minutes. The Seaside Grill wasn’t awful. I had the lamb special one night and the rib eye another. Both were edible. The beachside barbeque was good for lunch as well. Nelson was excellent and took very good care of us each day at lunch! We tried Capers: Worse meal of the week. TV/Frozen dinner quality. (We ordered the pork and the beef. Not sure what it really was. But the meat was paper thin and the sauce was just a salty disgusting mess.) Oceana Grill, Bluewater Grill, both disgusting. If you need to watch your salt intake, be very careful at this resort. The food is incredibly salty (even the cheeseburgers at the beachside grill). We found the service to be inconsistent. Even at the same restaurant from the same server. The drinks are very, very weak unless you specifically watch them make your drink and tell them how much alcohol to pour in. The lobby bar at NOW was a much nicer spot to relax and have a drink before/after dinner. All in all, though, the people are outstanding at this resort. Very friendly and outgoing for the most part.

One thing that was awful was the number of inconsiderate smokers at this resort. They would smoke right at the table at the outside restaurants blowing the smoke right at us while we were trying to eat. The plaza (the only place with night time entertainment at Secrets) was also unbearable thanks to the smokers. In this day and age, resorts need to segregate smokers even outside. Non-smokers should not have to endure that while enjoying the outdoor venues. We had to move time and time again to get away from the smoke.

I can’t comment on the pool, as we’re beach people and never spent any time at the pool. The beach did have a lot of seagrass, but the workers raked and picked it up from the shoreline all day long. There was a lot of traffic in the area, but that didn’t bother us at all. This is not a quiet beach by any means given the activities with the entertainment crew, the vendors selling tours, and the boat traffic. There aren’t enough huts and I was up early every day to ensure we got a front row hut (view and breeze). There are two vendor shopping areas within walking distance and we thoroughly enjoyed going to both of them. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves. We met many terrific people and loved relaxing all day long on the beach. We weren’t about to let anything ruin our vacation, and we surely had a wonderful time, but there are far better resorts out there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Suzanne C
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments to us regarding your stay. We were concerned to learn we did not completely fulfil your expectations and we deeply regret the inconveniences you encountered.
As a service oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfil, but also surpass our guest's expectations; therefore we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest's experiences play a key role in this continuous process.
Again, we do value your comments very much and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Regards,

Luis Gomez
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ayer, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This resort has everything, an incredible beach, a great pool with bar, and almost all the food is good. But bring a long pair of pants for a couple of the ...snooty restaurants. I looked at this silly island pants made of nothing and the price ranged from 10- 112 dollars...so we skipped Oceana and the hibachi grill at Spice. Capers was the Italian food place which was out best experience. DOMINGO was our favorite waiter and I want to single him out. We also had breakfast at ...Riviera every day which was a great buffet. SANTOS was by far our favorite at that restaurant. EDWARD and JORGE were outstanding in the management and hospitality dept. I guess if I had anything bad to say I would say stay away from hamburgers, give better directions to Capers and I think free WIFI would not break the bank. Resort is close to airport and excursion travel arranged from resorts as well. This resort is perfect if you want some party and entertainment but it's quiet enough for sleep or alone time.

Room Tip: Ground floors have a set of loungers dedicated to your room but the drawback is your on the ground r...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear mc2252
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, and on your name we will congratulate our personnel, for helping to make your stay memorable.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Hoping we will see you soon .
Warm regards
Stockport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This review was from a Jan-Feb 2014 trip just got round to doing it! We really enjoyed Secrets Royal Beach with one or two issues:

Pros - we had a lovely quiet top floor junior suite with partial ocean view, partial was right but you could see it from the balcony if you stood at the edge of the balcony and leant forward. Our room was very clean and housekeeping was excellent.
We loved the beach and had no issues with sea grass, its nature! They did clean it up every morning as best as they could.
I loved the palm parasols and we found the beds very comfortable, there some different variations but we always managed to get the same ones.
We found no intruders but there is nothing to stop the Now guests from coming over.
The best for me was the beach server service and a special mention to the best one - Alberto. I see many staff mentioned here but his permanent smile and friendly service was the best.
Food - hit and miss. We ate mostly at the buffet as we always found plenty of choice. Spice was ok but nothing like an indian/japanese/thai restaurant you would get in the uk - we jokingly called it 'lack of Spice'.
Relaxing - we chose to stay on the beach every day and it was bliss - there were activities going on but we stayed towards the back and were not disturbed. The pool noise was a bit annoying on certain days - I understand that people want different things so not a big issue. I don't go all the way to the Carribbean to sit by a pool - I can do that much closer to home.
Entertainment - mostly very good, the Cirque tribute was excellent. They work very hard and if you want to do a lot you can but no pressure if you want to be left alone.
We were not troubled by people selling boat rides etc.

Cons - internet! My boyfriend has to work every day (if only for an hour) - the internet was expensive and often did not work in our room. it was dial up speed at best. We did get some days added on but in a resort with decent WiFi he would have needed to work much less. it took him 2-3 hours rather than the one. OK most people don't want to be tied to their emails etc on holiday but in a modern world it's a necessity and should be free of charge. For this reason alone we would not go back.
Beach tables - why are these at such a premium? There needs to be a lot more, one for every pair of sunbeds. Balancing your drink in the sand is annoying and then you have to pick up a wet and sandy plastic cup - yuk. there was no problem getting a sunbed but tables are fought for!
Drinks - terrible, hit and miss. Their "Bellini" is an insult to the cocktail. The "fizz" is 5% (yes 5) ABV and completely tasteless - we could not drink the stuff we were comped to our room, it was vile - see Bellini..... Stick to non-alcohol and you'll be fine.
Dress code - so you can turn up to Oceana in dirty, torn trainers, a football shirt and tatty chinos and you are allowed in but if you are wearing a smart linen shirt and trousers with smart closed toe sandals you are refused - CRAZY! What kind of dress code is that? i can understand a no flip-flop/thong sandal rule but there are many smart sandals out there. The ladies can show their toes but the men cannot, Just stop this stupid rule and enforce a 'clean and smart casual' one.
Staff - spilt 50/50 between smiley and helpful and rude and disdainful. We were checked in by someone, who as the first person you have contact with should be friendly and helpful; she was sullen and even though she offered us a drink, she went to get it with such huge resentment, I did not want to drink it..
Service generally (apart from Alberto) was not good, table servers would come to you and almost always look away even when taking your food or drink order, they would bring food and be looking at something else - eye contact and good service was non-existent.
Please, please only employ staff who want to be in a service industry.

There are a few more cons than pros there but we generally enjoyed this holiday. As a fair skinned person it was the first beach holiday that I have ever really enjoyed, total relaxation.
It is not 5 star but please remember stars mean nothing about luxury - they only refer to the facilites that a hotel or resort offers. Having a spa adds a star, stupid system but that's the way it works.

Tip - do not pay out to go "preferred" - the rooms are adjacent to Now Larimar and have mostly views of the paths between buildings. They have a dedicated pool and bar but why be by the pool when the beach is within touching distance - you could do that anywhere?
The dining area was right next to the main buffet and at one point are just the top tier of the regular buffet tables. You sit there and get a server when frankly i would rather go and check out the food myself! We could see very little that you got for your extra money.

Room Tip: Junior suites and a high floor seen to be the best
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Sooz0702
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at our hotel; however we regret not been able to reach the level of expectation you had.
Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to welcoming you back.
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was my husband and I first time at the Secrets Resort,Punta Cana. We enjoyed our stay thanks to the staff who was very friendly to say the least. Our concierge Bethania (I hope I spelled that correctly)! OMG was Outstanding!!! From Day1 until we departed she was a sweetheart (I wish I could've put her in my suitcase and brought her home) any question we had and anything we needed she made sure we were taken care of . We will sorely miss her Thanks for making out trip a pleasurable one. The room we had was cleaned everyday but when ordering food it had alot to be desired! No taste to it and they take to long to bring it to your room. On the good side the staff was very nice! We also met a very nice waiter named David and he was the best at what he does as a waiter at the ' Carnival restaurant' which has buffet style food all day long until about 10pm (you don't have to make reservations). They say you need to make reservations online for the other Restaurants and dress up but you really don't . He was very entertaining and made sure we had this drink at dinner called "Mama Juana" which is very smooth going down ..but make hair grow on your chest before you can get out the chair! lol The beach was very nice too! The weather was nice everyday, even when it showered it was only 5-10 mins at the most and then the sun was back out again! We visited the homes there and got to experience all about their culture and see the land, which we enjoyed alot. It was $180.00 for two people which was a all day long adventure but it was money well spent. We will be back!

Room Tip: "Lower level rooms are very nice ..we had a swim out room !'
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Catrina O
Luis Gomez
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We just returned from a fabulous vacation at Secrets Royal Beach. Six adults, absolutely no complaints. The staff were accommodating, even before we arrived! The staff is outstanding! Everyone was so polite and attentive. Milky Way was our favorite, as he was so energetic and friendly each day! The shows and entertainment each night were great! The food was wonderful...the breakfast buffet (La Riveria) was excellent. Definitely enjoy the delicious Dominican coffee! Lunch out on the beach cannot be beat...excellent chicken, burgers, etc right on the beach! We ate at several different restaurants...all were fabulous, including Capers (at Now), the Mercure (at Now) and Spice (at Now). We enjoyed the Seaside Grille (at Secrets). Our least favorite was Oceana, nothing bad, just our least favorite experience of the week. The beach is amazing, so relaxing. The staff is very attentive on the beach and the Marlin Bar makes great drinks! The pool and lazy river are very nice. We had no issues with towels as some of the other reviews have indicated. We enjoyed the peace and quiet on the Secrets side, but we did like the variety of restaurants at Now. It was the best of both worlds. We've stayed at other Secrets properties (Riveria Maya and Jamaica) and this was very similar...we are Secrets people. I would definitely recommend this property to anyone who is looking for a relaxing, quiet, beach vacation.

Dear R P
Thank you very much for sharing all your experiences in the Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana hotel and thank you for choosing us for your holidays.
For us it is an honor to receive reviews from our guest more if we could read that we have managed to exceed such important expectations.
I am glad to know that my personnel could make your holiday memorable!.
We will love to greet you soon again, so we have another chance to continue surprising you with our hotel and service.
In the name of my whole team, let me wish you and your all the best.
Yours sincerely,
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I decided to spend our 1 year anniversary within The Secrets family after spending our honeymoon in Jamaica (Wild Orchid). Overall it was good trip. While I would not consider this resort a 5 star, I would recommend it to a friend.

While this resort has many positives I'll give you what (in my opinion of course) is keeping it from a 5 star resort.
1.) The food I thought was average, and that's including what was offered at Now. I can't say I would be eager to pay may own money to eat at any of the restaurants if they were here states side. I would compare the food quality to that of Denny's. Again not bad, just not 5 star.

2.)Preferred Vs. Non-Preferred - - We got to experience both. While we had a ocean view preferred room reserved, we were given a view of The Now pool, and the noise of Disneyland. The crazy thing is they tried to say Ocean View rooms are "partial views" . I'm cool with a partial view, but to get that view I should not have to stand on a chair to look over a wall to get that "partial view". Long story short I asked to be "downgraded" to the non preferred section which offered us an ocean view not the sounds of screaming kids.

As for the positives......this resort does have many, I wont name them all but a few:
1.) The people is what makes this a good resort. Everyone, I mean everyone I encountered were pleasant, nice and very out going.

2.) Aside from the very little seaweed I thought the beach was good. I did not feel as though I needed to wake up at the crack of dawn to go reserve "seat" at the beach.

3.) The pool.....We just loved the pool. It seemed to have a very quiet side and music side to it.

While I think Secrets Wild Orchid (Jamaica) was a better overall resort, this is still a solid resort where you will have a good time.

Room Tip: Buyer Beware: if you chose The preferred side (as we did) with and ocean view; they will try to stic...
Dear Quack2Quack
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This resort and it's service is nothing less than Outstanding. Milky Way is one of the best employees in this place. Whatever you need to know or do, he will take care of you!! Also, the best service everywhere you went.

Dear TravelerP1105XI
Hoping we will see you soon .
Warm regards
Hotel Manager

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!