“Employee Review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Brooklyn, Iowa
“Employee Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Secrets during our trip last week. (11/16/13-11/23/13) The entire staff was accomodating and very nice. The employees that made our stay EXCELLENTwere:

Milky Way-Entertainer
Carlo-Pool Bartender
Angel-Waiter
Solano-Waiter

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon in November. To put context to our review, we aren't snobs, rich or have very high expectations, just average travellers who had splurged a little more than usual as it was our honeymoon.

This hotel is not terrible, but there seems too much worrying about appearance and not enough attention to detail and providing the actual substance of an excellent experience. They say 'Good is not enough, they are Excellent'; this is not the case, they are average to good, and definitely not excellent. There are a lot of good areas to the hotel, but it is being let down by the poorer areas. I don't want this to be a moaning review, listing each and every one of the problems we encountered, so I will try and summarise where possible. We might have been unlucky with the issues we experienced, but having read other reviews it does seem this things happen more than you'd expect in a 'luxury' resort, and some of the problems they could definitely fix, but haven't despite receiving feedback from us during our stay.

Check-in - mixed experience, friendly staff, but after requesting if we could be assigned a room on the side of the resort that gets the sun, we were assured that all the rooms get plenty of sun and that it definitely wouldn't be a problem.

Room 1 (5163) - The assurance about getting the sun was patently untrue, and was obvious as soon as we entered the room, the patio clearly gets no sun, and the room was damp and musty. The room was not prepared properly, minibar broken, tv broken and missing remote, light bulbs gone and half the guest directory missing. When we plugged in minibar, the fuses blew in the room, after many calls, maintenance finally arrived, the plug of the minibar was all burnt out (quite dangerous). We had a swim-up room, and the patio was muddy, as it didn't get any sun (the room next door at least had had some sand put down over the muddy area). At this point, we felt there was too much going wrong with the room, so requested a room in the area originally requested. To be fair to the Hotel, they did move us. We just hoped that they would get everything fixed for the next 'unlucky' person to get assigned that room. We were assured that new room would be ready with no problems.

Room 2 (4138) - With that initial experience behind us, we hoped everything would now go smoothly, however, the new room also had the minibar unplugged, the tv remote missing and lights not working. Fortunately this time, the minibar worked once plugged in, and we did get a partially working tv remote the next day, and the light fixed the next day (although it did take quite a few calls). You'd think that after the initial problems that they'd ensure that the exact same things weren't wrong with the new room. The patio was much better, it was actually laid down with stone so wouldn't have the mud problem, and got a decent amount of sun. This room was definitely better than the original, although we were next to some sort of work room, and there was a constant hum from some kind of machinery/generator?

Note: To be fair to the resort, they did offer us use of a beach cabana, and an hour in the spa pool for the problems encountered. Also, despite saying that they wouldn't be happy with having a muddy patio area, the management did not put any sand down in our original room the whole time we were there, so I feel sorry for the people that were in there after us. This made us think that they don't always take note of people's comments/complaints.

Rooms (overall) - good size, and beds are big and comfortable. Lighting is far too low, so its hard to see. We did have a swim-up, which i'd definitely recommend if you love the pool. The bath-room was nice, big size.

Maid-service - The maid-service was very good, it was thorough and was to a very high standard in our experience.

Food -
Buffet - had quite a lot to offer (breakfast/lunch and dinner), but food was often not hot enough and of average quality. Best advice with the buffet would be to use the cooking stations. The waiting staff could do with being slightly less zealous in clearing away your plates/cutlery etc, and also concentrate on being more consistent in providing drinks. sometimes we had finished our meal and our drinks we ordered at the start hadn't arrived. Although we never had to wait long for a table, it could be frustrating to see loads of empty tables in the 'Preferred Guests' area (ie I don't expect to have a 'Less valued' guests policy when you've already paid for a luxury holiday).
At lunch time, use the bbq down on the beach, probably the best of the food we had all week was from this place (burgers/chicken/ribs/hotdogs)

Room-service - the food was of average to good, nothing special. Often getting cold by the time it arrived. They claim it to be 24 hours, but if you try and order during the night or early morning, then they say you can only get 'continental breakfast', which actually was just warm toast. This is not truly 24 hours room service. We clarified this with the concierge the next day, and they assured us that we should be able to order anything off the room service menu 24 hours a day (limited to just the full breakfast menu between 7-11, which is a bit more understandable but still a bit misleading).

Ala carte restaurants - mixed bag really, but nothing amazing, definitely not of 4 or 5 star quality. The best was the Seaside grill, which does good steak. The Oceana was ok, but my wife's tuna was extremely undercooked, they did offer to replace/bring something else, but it had taken a while to arrive, so we didn't take them up on that. They say you need to book for Spice, but this is just for the tepanyaki; this was very frustrating, as we booked, but only wanted the ala carte section. When we did do the ala carte, the food was very underwhelming. The tepanyaki was nice.
We ate in capers (Italian) twice, the first time was good, the 2nd not so good, we were kept an age waiting for our mains, and when we enquired, they said they'd run out of pork, and were now just getting some in. When it came it was dry. We didn't eat in any of the other ala carte restaurants so can't comment on those, but I wouldn't hold out much hope based on the ones we did experience.

Pool - One of the good points, really nice pool, with a cool lazy river (no particular current, just as a comment, if you're used to the kind of lazy rivers that push you round). And the main pool was nice with the swim-up bar. As an observation, it does get louder in the afternoons, with the entertainment taking place.

Beach - very clean, no problem with seaweed as I've read in other reviews. There is a bit, but nothing bad. We weren't hassled at all by any sellers, and there appeared to be plenty of sunbeds available. Nice swimming area, which is roped off, so no problem with boats etc.

Bars - the bar service is good and very friendly, with servers going round the whole pool area taking/delivering orders, this is really good and one of the excellent areas I mentioned earlier (we had Angel seeing to us, and he was always so friendly and helpful).
I don't think the cocktails were particularly nice, many of them seemed to consist of using a syrup or pre-made cocktail mix from a machine. Not terrible by any means, but i've definitely had better cocktails. More of an observation than a complaint, as I do understand its an all-inclusive.

Maintenance - not sure where the fault lies, but it did take a while and often several calls to get anything fixed. The hotel in general did seem to be in good shape, so maybe they just need to concentrate on the rooms, and how they respond to issues. We were told they normally respond to things quickly, but we definitely didn't experience this, and reading other reviews it seems it isn't abnormal to have to chase things.

Cabana - we were offered use of this for the problems we'd encountered, so thought i'd give a bit of a review for any that are thinking of using it. It was a nice experience for free, but DEFINITELY don't waste $100 on it. They don't provide champagne (despite claiming it), you can't get proper food there, (just some fruit, sushi, nachos or quesedia), and the butler service is pretty much the same as the rest of the bar servers that go round and take your drinks orders from wherever you are around the pool.

Additional comments/thoughts - We met with the hotel manager midway through our stay due to the problems we encountered and I genuinely believe they listen to people's comments/issues, but at the end of the day the financials will constrain how much they really change things. ie Its cheaper to deal with a few complaints and issues, than to spend the money and get rid of those issues that they know exist.

One further incident we encountered I feel might be worth mentioning; we had a injured/dead bird in our Jacuzzi, spreading blood around it and the patio (we know this isn't the fault of the hotel), but when we reported it, and mentioned the blood etc, and the need for it to be dealt with promptly they said they understood and 'someone was on the way' (we got used to they saying). We went out, but an hour later, the bird was flailing, spreading blood around still, 2 further calls, and ten/fifteen minutes later someone finally turned up to deal with it. I would expect a luxury hotel to want to respond to an issue like this quicker. We reported this to the concierge, but didn't hear anything further (apology/explanation etc).

As mentioned earlier, this resort is nice, and has many positives, but they need to cut-out the mistakes and the poor side of things, and stop the up-selling (Spa, Lobster, Romantic meals etc), and concentrate on providing that VIP experience for all that have booked this luxury resort. There is a general feeling running throughout the resort of promising more than they can really deliver, more concerned about image than the substance. An example of the resort promising more than they really deliver (and it kind of feels like it runs throughout) is what they claim is Champagne is just low alcohol Spanish sparkling wine. This is particularly bad when they charge people for it (for example, in the Cabanas). Rather than just an issue with champagne, this seems to symbolise a lot of how the resort came across, 'Promising Champagne, delivering low alcohol Spanish wine'. Misleading and/or amateur.

Also, having all the staff keep asking how you are until you say 'Excellente' feels a bit forced, especially as we weren't having an 'Excellente' experience.

Summary - As per other reviews I've read, there will probably be a fairly standard response from the management, but this wont mean much unless the changes needed to really improve this resort are implemented. Its too late once someone has left to say, return and we'll try and change your mind. Make sure people don't need to change their minds, and if they complain to you in the week, make sure they feel listened to. To be fair, things did pick up a bit towards the end of the week, so perhaps if all the problems could've been originally avoided or dealt with better this would be a slightly more positive review.

Would I return or recommend this resort to others? Personally, I would try a different resort to this in future. If someone had already booked this, I wouldn't say its a disaster, and they might be lucky and not encounter any of the problems we did, in which case, the experience would probably be better. I'm not sure that the resort is true value for money, but it may compare well with other resorts in the area (which as I haven't visited I can't really compare). In summary, if I ever get the chance to splurge on a luxury holiday again, I will probably try a different area in general.

Also, get Wi-Fi included, or at the very least, a few internet kiosks included on the Secrets side that are included, and you don't have to pay extra for.

Room Tip: Swim-up room was worth the extra for us. Plus, get a room in the block starting with 4. (I think t...
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Read lots of reviews before deciding to stay at this resort. Seemed impressive.

Maybe we had a bad experience but so much went wrong, I find it hard to believe it was just us.

We got to the resort fine and on time. We were taken to the "Preferred" area which is a separate check in area in the Adults Only section. We get there and our room isn't ready...like they didn't know we were coming. Hot and sweaty, we were told it would be ready in five. I assumed that meant five minutes. 25 minutes later we were told the front door to the room isn't working. It doesn't close or open properly. So we waited in the room while someone tried fixing it. He seemed to be having trouble so I went to ask for another room. Hotel staff said there was nothing else at this time, but one would be ready at 8pm. It was 4pm at the time.

So we waited, now hungry and sweaty. 45 minutes go by while he's fixing the door, so I kick him out deciding we can shower and go eat while they finish fixing the door. The door they couldn't possibly know didn't work until now because apparently housekeeping teleports into the room? My girlfriend was about to shower when I realized the patio door doesn't lock. So we'd be unable to leave the room to eat.

Ok. I'll order room service and then inform them of the other door not working. No one answers when I call. I call again. No answer. Two hours have now gone by, we haven't been able to do anything but wait. We paid more for an earlier flight so we could get some sun and time on the beach before sunset. Nope. Nice way to spend your Anniversary at a five star resort.

I leave for the reception desk after trying a third time to call room service. I'm trying not to lose my temper and tell her we're hungry, we're sweaty, we can't leave the room because the doors don't work and it's our Anniversary. Are we at the right resort? Secrets? Five star? What?

All of a sudden there's another room! Wow, where did that come from? And it's on the top floor (which is what I initially requested) instead of on the bottom floor. Also, like magic, it's ready right now. And it's an oceanview. Wow. Magic.

The new room is a "partial ocenview". If you lean over the balcony a bit, you can see the ocean...a bit. The thermostat doesn't work, the bathroom light doesn't work. Our King bed is two double beds put together. At this point we're laughing at the awefulness of this place. But we're thinking it can only get better. We're easy going people. We're not rich, nor are we snobby people.

We're on a special vacation celebrating both our first anniversary as well as my girlfriend's birthday. We decided to splurge on what would be our first ever "5star resort". Positive attitudes all week. Happy couple.

Room service brings the food (you know, because we can't go the buffet so far or leave because the doors haven't worked. Yay. A dry club sandwich with fries. I imagine Tim Hortons could make a better club sandwich. Not that Tim Hortons food is bad. It's edible, but does not have any qualities to make it delicious. If we weren't starving, we wouldn't have eaten them.
We finally get ready and leave to explore. It’s almost 8 by now. We’re heading to the buffet. Hopefully the food is good. It wasn’t. Selection was small. And what we ate was bland at best. Aside from the grouper. That was melt in your mouth and flavoured well.
Entertainment for the night was a musical performance by a duo who sound like their friends told them they’re really good on karaoke nights. Good singers. Nothing great. Casino’s open, we’ll check things out there.

Tiny, empty, literally three card tables and a dozen old slot machines. Positive attitudes. We sit and lose $50 with the company of one friendly gentleman in his late 60s. Crazy night right?

Club time! Empty. Kinda sad looking. Okay, we’ll call it a night and try to enjoy tomorrow.

Breakfast buffet was decent, smaller than I expected for a resort of this size. Food was okay.
We went for our meeting with our WestJet rep. He was 20 minutes late. I called to see why. He didn’t know he had to be there. 40 minutes later, a Hola tour rep shows up. He’s a rep for the WestJet rep…where’s the WestJet rep? I get the WestJet rep on the phone and we complain. Let them know we’re not happy so far and why, but we’ll make the best of it. An hour in an air-conditioned lobby on a gorgeous day. No beach or sun time yet.

The rest of our day here went in the same manner. Poor service from staff. Bland food even at the a la cartes. Our second night there we tried the Sushi restaurant, more rice than anything else in the rolls and no flavour. We left for the buffet. There’s no room at the buffet, but they can seat us in the sushi place which is attached. How embarrassing is it to leave more than half your food on your plate only to have the chef who made the sushi watch you eat food from someone else and watching you do so in his restaurant?!? No thanks. We’ll try the seafood al a carte restaurant.

More bland food and poor service. 2 hours for a three course meal. We actually complained about the appetizer to the waiter. When we got the main 15 minutes after finishing the apps, they came to ask if it was okay and we lied and said it was. Didn’t want to wait for another main for who knows how long. It was edible. Dessert was a “chocolate dome” that tasted like a magnum bar I forgot at the bottom of a freezer. 2 years ago.

At this point I probably seem like a whiner or I’m losing you. So I’ll sum it up to say we called our WestJet rep that evening since she wanted to talk to us when she had more time to talk as she was dealing with a group arriving at the airport. I ask to switch to another room, like the presidential suite! Or even switch resorts. She’ll see what she can do. The next day we’re on the beach for the full day.

Even though this Secrets is awful, we’re trying to be happy. Most of the other couples seem to have given up on that. My girlfriend and I are both noticing most couples aren’t talking with each other or with anyone else. They’re sitting there looking like bored strangers sitting close together.
We arrived on a Friday afternoon and were able to leave by Tuesday afternoon for the Majestic Elegance. Thank goddness.

Majestic Elegance, total opposite. Room was ready right away. Food was excellent. Service was excellent. Entertainment was fantastic. Couples were happy, kissing, holding hands, cuddling, laughing and so were we. Finally. We loved every moment at the Majestic Elegance. Every moment aside the ones where we paused to reflect on how crappy Secrets was.

I would not go back to this Secrets. I would not suggest to anyone that they stay here. Maybe if they got it for under a grand per person. The beach and weather were way better than what we have in Toronto in November. My girlfriend and I felt the food was better in Cuba than at the Secrets in Punta Cana. Cuban food better than Dominican food?!? 5star who? 3 star at best.

The secret is it’s all hype. This place sucks. We were happiest getting to leave for the Majestic.

Room Tip: Choose another resort.
Ladera Ranch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Our stay was amazing! What we were most impressed by was the hotel staff, all very courteous, attentive and friendly. The facilities very clean, always something to do, and a wide variety of food. We had the opportunity to meet the general manager of the hotel Mr. Luis Gomez, always attentive to his staff and guests.
We were so happy with our stay at Secrets, we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Any Room is Excellent...! ! !
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

the resort was great the grounds werr very well maintained. The pool bars were very exciting and alot of fun. We loved the beach and the people were very friendly from those that work there to the other gauest.

The entertainment team was bar none, the best, most hardworking bunch I've ever seen... Karen, Akon, Fidel, Eddie Murphy, and Milky Way they all work very diligently to keep the guests entertainwd... all the time great place to go and we will go back although we won't spend the money on the ocean view next time it was just a little peek through the trees next time we'll go to swim up.

• Stayed November 2013
Punta Cana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Best honeymoon ever. So relaxing. Angel the bartender is the best!
We loved having a swim up room. The food was delicious and the staff was "excellente!" So relaxing, clean and fun. My husband and I can't wait
To go back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We actually travelled here in April of 2012. This was my second time at an AM Resort- and I realized immediately that it wasnt going to be the last, by far! We were treated like celeberties from the moment we arrived. I admit- I have been to 8 resorts- and NEVER has the room been ready upon arrival, so I didn't expect it to be this time. Perhaps the biggest difference here, is how you get to spend the wait time, and being prepared to wait. In this case- it's all luxury. And they were prompt in notifying us when we could get in the room.

The room was nice. Large, classy, sexy. Modern. Smelled nice. (I know people have complained about musky rooms in other places)

The lazy river is fun- especially if you can get a "floatie"- you would be amazed at the number of floatie hoarders.

We enjoyed the beach. In fact the beach was where we discovered a certain level of concierge service. They don't advertise butlers here, or even concierge- but it must exist to some degree. If it doesn't- it should, as we had a couple of guys go out of there way to let us know they would take care of anything we needed while on the resort (Juan & Steve?) They even set up nice "surprise" romantic night in the room for the wife and I.

We did join the unlimited vacation club while on this trip. We turned it down previously- but when we heard the "pitch" before it made absolutely no sense, and that sales rep at that resort wasted a lot of our time trying to get it together. Here, I requested that they be concise, and to the point. I haven't regreted that move at all.

We took advantage of the sip savor and see, to check out Zoetry. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I will spend a birthday and/or an anniversery there in the future.

It's attached to Now Larimar (Fanily resort), so the amenities are plentiful. I do think they tame the drinks a tad on the family side- but the enthusiasm is there. The nightly entertainment, of course, is on the family side. It works out, because when youre ready to chill with the adults, its a quick stroll back over to Secrets.

I will likely come back for a visit, after I've had a chance to checkout other AM offereings. I do hope the others measure up. As of this writting, AM Resorts all 3 of the AM resorts (All Secrets) have been to have been memorable, and impressive.

*Take advantage of the sip, savor, see, and check oou Zoetry!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!