“Great Resort but not Perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

Save Saved
You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Olathe, Kansas
“Great Resort but not Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Overall we enjoyed the resort, it is comparable in size to other Secrets, Sandals and Iberostar we have visited. It was a mix of Honeymoon couples, Europeans of all ages and the middle aged american crowd. By the pool bar is was a little wild and noisy for a tipical Secrets resort, but they had a large pool (not a lot of chairs) and a huge beach area (ton of chairs).

The rooms are large and but a little dark. We had two small double beds which were a little odd for an adult only resort. The bathroom was huge and had plenty of room for 2 people. Our biggest complaints for the room was our view (back service road), noisy hall ways and our inability to get a room service menu (tried 4 times and finally gave up). Maid service was a little late a couple of days (like between 5-6pm) but we just stayed at the pool/beach.

Pool is large and has a lot of quiet areas, but lacks enough chairs and floats (so bring your own). Pool bar is always busy, so it is best to wait for your waiter to come by to get your drink order (Thanks..Angel you did a wonderful job). They would bring you drinks in pineapples and coconuts. Now finding pool towels can also be a trick, they are at the sport hut on the beach, which I find to be a pain for a couples resort.

Beach is the best part of the resort, after a few days at the pool we decided to just hang out on the beach. It is huge and has plenty of shade, chairs and waiters. They even have a grill the opens around noon, with burgers, dogs, fish, chichen, fries and somedays lobster, steak and ribs. The breeze on the beach is perfect for lounging and relaxing with a few Royal Beach or Coco Loco Drinks (our favorites). The water was warm and had some seeweed, but it was raked and cleaned each morning. It was perfect for walking and strolling (you can walk for miles and miles - each way). If you want to sail the Hobie cats make sure you book by 9:30am to reserve a time. They had plenty of security personel on the beach keeping it nice and quiet.

Food/Entertainment were both good. We ate dinner ate most restaurants the the service was awesome and the food was good. Some was hit and miss, but if you don't like it then order something else. Nightly entertainment was normally good for an all-inclusive and you could go to either resort (Secrets or Now). I would have liked a few more parties on the beach. Make reservations early in your trip for the Spice Restaurant.

Overall is was a great resort, with a great beach, Ok pool, fun entertainment, good restaurants (we never had to wait) and great service at the pool and restaurants. The maid service was great once they got to your room and you had plenty of access to food and drinks. The rooms were good, but the layout with 2 beds was weird and the noise of the hallway and service road were kind of annoying. Would I go back sure, I would even take my kids to the Now resort. If you want peace and quiet pick a smaller resort like Zoetry, but if want action and some quiet then Secrets is a hit.

Room Tip: There is 4 main buildings on each side, but only the far 2 buildings are by the pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear dt12201

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

I feel very thrilled that you had a great time in our resort and we are pleased that our staff had been able to meet your expectations.

On the othe hand, I would like to thank you for you honest opinion, which give us the opportunity to firm our improvement areas, so we can increase the hotel value.

It will be an honor if I could have the opportunity to meet you personally for the next time,where I will be pleased to give you our best attentions as well, if that happens, do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,063)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Can't fault this hotel, food caters for everyone and is all lovely. Bar staff were so nice and the pool bar staff got to learn what we were drinking ,so our glasses were never empty.
The beds and pillows are the most comfortable we have ever had in any hotel
Entertainers were fantastic and I have to mention Jackson (who thinks he's Michael) and Karen who does the Zumba. They were superb and love their job, which shows.
No complaints at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Barbara C

Thank you so much for took your time to share your valuable feedback about your recent stay in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

On behalf of my entire personnel, I would like to thank you for every single word of grattitude to my collaborators who doing the effort dailiy to comply and satisfy to all our guests.

On the other hand, I feel very happy that you enjoyed the hotel facilities at all and I would like to tell you that if you decide to come back again, your next stay will be better than this time, if that happens, do not hesitate to contact me any time.

Warm regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I must say it was more than what me and my girlfriend expected. From the moment we arrived the hospitality and service was amazing . The staff are so genuine and good spirited couldn't ask for a better team. The hotel grounds is beautiful from the lobby to the pool area. Rooms were well kept and we didn't get into any sanitation problems. Words can't describe the beauty of secrets hotel as soon as u get there it's a thrill. Overall I had a great time so did my girlfriend it was excellente Milky Way!!

• Stayed September 2013
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

To preface this review I don't actually think this is a 3-star resort but I am rating it in relation to the other 9 5-star all-inclusive resorts I've been to in Mexico and the islands.

The Good
- Beach is beautiful, water is beautiful (there is a lot of sea grass its an ocean and should be expected)
- waiter service is pretty good
- entertainment staff are friendly
- restaurants at Secrets are good

The Unexpected
My husband and I have travelled to several comparable resorts but this was our first time to a Secrets. I read a review before I went and it was called 'it does what it says in the can' and that couldn't be more true. There is nothing at this resort that will be a pleasant surprise...

A few hiccups
1) the original room we had was dark, had stained cushions, mold on the lamp, lights and outlet didn't work, and worst of all the bathroom smelled of sewage. when we tried to switch rooms they said we had to wait for the next day for a room to open up, they were only at 70% occupancy but they didn't have any rooms at the 'garden view' level and refused to upgrade us without paying for it regardless of the room being unacceptable - definitely not unlimited luxury
2) the restaurants in Now (the adjacent resort where most of the 10 Secrets restaurants are) are not good, really sub par food
3) there are very few chairs by the pool, we never got a seat
4) the guest services people spoke very little English and were really not helpful when we were inquiring about the program to go to other hotels for dinner (Dreams, etc)
5) everything is charged, Lobster, late check-out, room upgrade (even when they had them available)
6) This is a PARTY resort! it felt like the Cancun Oasis for thirty-somethings... loud drunkards at the pool bar all day, hooting, hollering, loud music, foam party in the pool - I felt like I was in university again. This is not a bad thing if that's what you want, but it was unexpected and not the vibe we were looking for a vacation.
7) Overall the maintenance wasn't great, pool was moldy, when they cut the grass it ended up in the pool, etc

Again, no pleasant surprises, no above an beyond, definitely not 'unlimited luxury'.

We definitely would not return or recommend this hotel based on what we know you can get for a similar price. Would likely not go to another Secrets anywhere else either.

Dear TorontoSista

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana hotel.

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and at the same time I regret if you did not enjoy your stay plentiful in our establishment.

I have just analysed every point that you kindly reported in a constructive manner about the unfortunate facts occurred during your stay in our hotel and I must admit that I am extremely sorry if you felt disturbed about the uncomfortable situations that you encountered as well.

Concerning the uncomfortable issues that you had in the room, I do apologize if you felt hard time about the facts that you mentioned, unfortunately we could not relocate you in a timely manner due to the lack of availability, however I admit that is not excuse to do the things in the right side, I am sorry if we did not able to meet your expectations. I have reviewed personally this fact with the chief responsible to make sure that this does not happen again to any other guests in the establishment.

I appreciate so much your sincere opinion, your comments means the opportunity that we need in order to firm our improvement areas through of the proper actions, with the only goal to increase the hotel value.

I am deeply concerned that these issues had diminished the high expectations that you had before you arriving to our hotel and I hope that you don’t lose faith in our Now Larimar Punta Cana Hotel.

I do apologize once again for this unpleasant experience and I would like to tell you that if you decide to give us a second opportunity returning to the hotel we will do our best to give you our warmest service as well.

I appreciate your kindness and patience regarding this matter and I look forward to giving you a warm welcome back very soon.

Yours faithfully,

Hotel Manager
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I know this review is late but I must say that my wife and i experienced one of the better times we have had while on vacation. We have travelled to Mexico over 10 times and decided for a change of pace to try the Dominican Republic. The minute we got to the front desk we knew we had a great place to stay. We asked for an upgrade to preferred and the price was extremely reasonable. We set in building 5 about halfway down the building on the second floor. Loved the pool view and yes we could see the ocean over the trees. Everything was a quick walk. Less than 5 minutes. The thing i loved most about the room...a large shower...if you get my drift. The preferred pool...well 2 names will suffice. Enrique and Ismael. Every time I turned around Enrique was checking on me for a drink. I had a few special request or a homemade chocolate grasshopper and Ismael did them up right. The Italian restaurant was our favorite, the beach was wide and soft. Francois in preferred lounge always guided us in the right direction and the service was excellente. GO!!!! We were there on August 6th thru the 12th

Room Tip: The swimups are just rooms that actually are across from the lazy river pool. If that is your thing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerSERPC, Gerente at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear chloebear

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I found this hotel lacked the attention to detail that it needed. the resort and the views are amazing and the entertainment staff were fantastico! however, they need to improve on many other aspects of customer service. this is not somwhere i would recommend especially if you are expecting good service and good facilities.

Erskine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

4th visit to Dom Rep,but first to Secrets Royal Beach.Once again we found the Dominican people to be extremely friendly, and the staff at Secrets were exceptional.Fidel,Karen and Michael in particular deserve credit as they worked so hard to entertain.The food in all the restaurants,10 or more(including those in Now Larimar)was very good, the Chef's and waiters were so friendly and helpful.I must mention the beach waiters who worked so hard to ensure you always had a drink, Fernando in particular always remembered what you were drinking,even from the previous day.Our room 4340 was lovely,we had a great view of the lazy river and the sea beyond, the bed was large and comfortable. Secrets Royal Beach is a lovely hotel which we would not hesitate to recommend, the beach was excellent and there were always plenty of sun loungers available.Finally Frank (the tank) the rep for seapro who ran the watersports in the resort was so friendly and polite it was a joy to meet him.Our visit 28 Aug to 11 Sept was to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary and we enjoyed every minute of our holiday!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerSERPC, Gerente at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear William G

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana, and thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay in our establishment.

On behalf of our entire personnel, we feel very pleasant that you enjoyed the hotel facilities at all.

Your comments are very important to increase the hotel value getting the best recognition as the best hotel in Punta Cana as well. We really appreciate if you can join us once again and it will be perfect if we can meet you personally as well, in that happens do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Warm regards

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!