“Thoughtful Staff Goes Above and Beyond (esp. for food allergies)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

Save Saved
You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #10 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Arlington, Virginia
“Thoughtful Staff Goes Above and Beyond (esp. for food allergies)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I rarely write reviews like these but wanted to after the great service at Secrets. The entertainment staff, particularly Milkey Way, Akon, and Usher, were lots of fun to be around and made the trip a blast. But the reason I am writing is because of the excellent service my sister, who is deathly allergic to shell fish and milk, received at the restaurants. On the first night when we told the waiter of her issues he taught us how to say her allergies in Spanish too just to be safe and managers (who were often stronger in English) would come out with ingredient information and to take her order special so there would be no confusion. Most impressively, on our last night our waiter Jesus at the sushi restaurant came running over asking if my sister was having a reaction and needed to go to the hospital because she appeared to be choking from a distance when really she was laughing so hard. She rarely gets service like this in the states when lots of wait staff assume she means she's on a diet or lactose intolerant when she says she's allergic to milk.

Room Tip: The rooms which are closer to the lobby are a little noiser because they do live entertainment every...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JazminRojas, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Lindsey B

Recieve cordial greetings from the entire staff of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

There are no words to express my most sincere grattitude about your valuable and helpfull comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

I feel very happy that you encountered our service optimus during your entire stay with us, your recognition is very important to increase the hotel value.

On the oher hand, I would like to meet you personally for a next stay, if that happens, I will be pleased to give you on behalf of the entire personnel, our best attentions in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, your house.

yours faithfully

3,580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Secrets Royal Beach for 8 days, booking through Resort Vacations To Go. We contemplated spending the extra money for the swim-up room, and subsequently did so. It was well worth the money. The resort is stunning. The landscape is very well maintained and manicured. Cleanliness is definitely obvious everywhere in the resort. On our arrival, we were promptly greeted with a cold towel, and a glass of champagne. We checked in immediately. Afterwards, a female at the concierge desk greeted us, explaining the resort. She then requested that we attend a breakfast to hear about other properties associated with Secrets. This was to last 90 minutes, and we were told we were under no obligations. She stated that for our participation, we would receive complimentary dinners for the Lobster Dinner held every Friday night. The dinner is $42.00 per person. We would up receiving a voucher for $40.00 off the dinner with coupons given at check-in. Anyways, I initially agreed, but later cancelled. Glad we did, as we were there for the beach, not for sales pitches. Be aware of this upon check-in. Our swim-up room was beautiful. Great access to the pool, and two lounge chairs for the room. Keep in mind that pool lounge chairs fill up fast. People were putting towels over the lounge chairs and leaving to reserve them. This also happened on the beach at the palapas. So get up early to get a prime spot for pool/beach activities if this is your desire. The rooms are well decorated and the bathroom/shower is amazing. As we later found, the lighting in the entire room is very dim. Especially in the bathroom. Maid service on our room was horrid. We never received the turn down service on 4 out of 8 nights. I reported this to the front desk on the first occasion. They wrote it down and documented it , but the next night it happened again. The nice thing about the turn down service is they provide you with an itinerary for the next days events at the pool and beach. So needless to say, we never got this itinerary on 4 of the 8 days. I had to call for towels twice, as they never left us any. The refrigerator was not working the first day. They did promptly replace it, however. There were no snacks or food items in the refrigerator. Just beer, soda, and juices. Bottled water as well. Ironically, on our last night, our room was all decorated. We were very dissatisfied with the maid service. The beach is amazing. A lot of seaweed washing up as well as in the water. The resort does rake the beach in an attempt to minimize this, but it is a losing battle. A lot of beach activities. Aerobics, yoga, volleyball, and dancing are among some of them. Bar service was superb. You are very well tended to, and your glass is never empty. We did tip throughout the stay which I am sure helped. The food was definitely below par. Breakfast at the buffet was the best meal by far. Do not waste your time at the Mexican restaurant on the NOW side. It was awful. The hibachi was ok, not great. We went to the Seaside Grille, and were told they were out of shrimp. No shrimp cocktails or entrees with shrimp. Very disappointing, The Lobster Dinner was ok. Surely not worth the $84.00 in my opinion. If you really want to do it, get coupons to minimize the expense. The one thing that stood out to me was the friendliness of the staff. Everyone spoke to you, and I mean everyone. So friendly. Cannot say enough about this. Overall, I was definitely expecting more. Especially for the price I paid. I really thought the food was going to be much better and tastier. The maid service was really a let down, especially when you have to ask for hand towels to dry your hands on numerous occasions. I did enjoy the trip but will definitely not return here.

Room Tip: The swim-up rooms are great and worth it!! If you can, upgrade at the resort, and you will probably...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear pman38

Receive cordial greetings from the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana. We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I would like to express our most sincere apologizes for every inconvenience that you have encountered during your stay at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and I regret not being able to meet the expectations you had before arriving at our hotel.

Before I begin, I would like to thank you for your appreciated perception about the hotel infrastructure conditions.

Concerning the issues that you had about the turn down service, I do apologize if you felt hard time wasting your relax time to get the room according to your expectations, I admit that is not the proper way to enjoy a vacations. However, I assure that we are working hardly in our improvement areas with my personnel to prevent any situation like you unfortunately experienced in the establishment.

Also I regret if you felt disturbed from the Unlimited Vacation concierges, I assure that they tried at all times that you enjoyed the best attentions during your stay, that’s why they insisted to inform you about all the special amenities and facilities that you would have been able to enjoy if you were contracted this special vacation package. I do want to excuse them and I do apologize if their manners were not sophisticated at the time to explain you detailed about this special vacation package.

I do not want to lose you as one of our privilege guests, and I hope you give us a second opportunity to show you that we are able to give you the vacations that you deserve.

I regret once again about the unfortunate facts that did not allow you enjoy your stay plentiful and also I would like to think that somehow you can change your mind about our resort in a near future, where we will be pleased to give you our best attentions as well.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon

Yours faithfully

lgomez&secretsresorts.com
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Secrets. The entire staff made us feel very welcome. Our overall experience was amazing. However, there were a couple of things that I feel should be mentioned that took away from us being able to rate this place as excellent instead of very good. First, we received an amazing greeting when we checked in to the hotel. When we made our reservations we were told we had $400 in resort credits. This is not entirely true. We could only apply a small amount of the credits towards pricey massages and bottles of wine or a romantic dinner. I felt this we deceiving. Next, after we checked in, we were told to talk with a representative and he would explain the resort credits. I thought this was a hotel representative, but it turns out this is an Unlimited Vacation Club representative so we spent the first hour of our trip listening to why we should come to their sales pitch the next day for 1.5 hours. The rep was very nice, but it put a sour taste in my mouth that the hotel is instantly trying to 'sell' you something as soon as you walk in the door. To me, this is in poor taste.

The second thing I feel is worth mentioning is to individuals with food allergies. I am allergic to a few tropical fruits and was told to pick up an allergy card at the front desk that stated in Spanish, exactly what I was allergic to. At our very first meal, I handed the cards to the waiter and he read them and even joked about how bad it must be to have those allergies. He even showed it to a few other employees and they all stated they understood my allergies. (As a side note, I'm not just mildly allergic to these things, I'm HIGHLY allergic to these foods and carry an EPI pen with me at all times.) I proceed to order my meal and I carefully read every description to ensure I don't order anything with allergens. My shrimp cocktail arrives and it looks yummy! But it doesn't quite look like what the description stated. It was in a salsa type cocktail sauce. I inspected it (as I do all of my food before eating) and decided it looks ok and free of any allergens. AFTER I eat all of the shrimp that is submerged in the cocktail sauce and am about to take a big bite of the sauce, the waiter strolls out and says, "You can't eat that. You're allergic." It turns out, the cocktail sauce had finely chopped up pineapple in it and I am HIGHLY allergic to that! Thank goodness I didn't actually eat any of the sauce, but I did get very sick that night from cross contamination since I ate the shrimp that was touching the pineapple.

Every meal that I ordered was NOTHING like the description and almost everything had pineapple in it. The food was decent, your typical resort food. It was just frustrating that even though I had my allergy cards I was still served items I was allergic to several times.

Overall, we had a great time. Once I learned what food items were safe, I was ok. The lazy river is amazing! I could just float around in there all day (and we actually did a couple of days!). All of the staff were kind and friendly.

Dear Car0linaGirl_80

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback, about your recent stay in our luxury hotel.

Also I want to thank you for your high recognition, which help us to be one of the best tourism destinations in the Caribbean.

I am glad that you had enjoy placidly all the hotel facilities at all and I would love if you decide to come back again, where I will pleased to meet you personally.

Yours faithfully

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I, along with my parents, sister and her fiancé just just got back from a wonderful week long trip at Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana and we couldn't be happier!! The resort was amazing, beach was great, food was great and the staff was excellent. A special shout-out to the entertainment team...Akon, Milky Way, Usher, and Mozart Jackson. Excellent service at the restaurants from Jesus and Carmen :)
We had never been to the DR or a secrets property so we really didn't know what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised with everything! I would highly recommend this resort and can't wait to go back!!
Be sure to go on the zip wire & Soana Island excursion if you get a chance to visit Punta Cana!!

Room Tip: Near the pool would be best but all the rooms seemed great! Near the plaza will be louder until ab...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Katie K

thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your anniversary vacations in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

It sounds wounderful that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities at all, also I feel very proud about your recognition to all my personnel, who strives every day to provide the best service to all our guests with high motivation.

it will be an honor if you join us once again where I could meet you personnally.

be well

Secrets Royal Beach Punta
Cumming, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned Friday the 16th of August from a week at the Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana.
Just like any trip there are good things and not so good things. The service from the staff was EXCELLENT!! There were several staff members that went above and beyond our expectations and they were: Milky Way, Akon (from the beach entertainment,) and Jefry the polite young man who waited on us when we were relaxing by the pool at our swim out room. He knew what drinks we liked and would come by and ask if we wanted a Mojito or Bloody Mary.
The room was exactly what the resort advertised on their website, clean, roomy and very comfortable. And we think the extra expense for the swim out room was well worth the money.
I guess the only complaint we have was in the food. We had breakfast everyone morning at The Riviera for the wonderful buffet with it's many choices of items to eat, and the egg station where your eggs were cooked however you wanted was a big plus. The other restaurants did not live up to our expectations. The food at the Oceania was not of five star quality, and the Sushi restaurant the only thing I can say is I have purchased better sushi at my local grocery store. If it had not been for the restaurants at the neighboring resorts I guess we would of ate at the buffet every meal.We have stayed at the Secrets in Cancun and all the restaurant were wonderful, and I guess we were expecting the same quality in the dining experiences in Punta Cana.
Overall our stay was very good, and now we are sitting here dreading going back to work tomorrow.

Room Tip: Swimout rooms worth the extra $$$
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We celebrated our 12th anniversary at Secrets Royal Beach August 6-14, 2013. We are in our 50s and were looking for a beautiful place to unwind and couldn't have chosen better. We have been fortunate enough to have stayed at a lot of all-inclusive resorts (Sandals, Palace, Riu, Dreams, Allegro, Almond, etc.) and the service here rivaled or exceeded any of them.

The resort grounds are beautiful, clean, modern and comfortable. The beach is very spacious and pretty. We traveled during low season and this may be why we never had a problem finding a chaise/palapa on the beach but it seemed like there were plenty available. The palms are some of the tallest I've ever seen and the breeze made it a pleasure every day. It was supposedly rainy season but we saw very little rain (a storm or two at night or a 15 minute shower one day.) The water was warm and clear and the surf was gentle. There were activity vendors on the beach but they didn't bother us... we said "No gracias" and that was sufficient. Beach service--in terms of offering and bringing you drinks--was top notch.

The main pool and lazy river pool were both enjoyable. If there were issues, they were with the guests not the resort. People have a real scarcity mentality, which is a shame. They horde chairs and floats around the pool. Even so, we had opportunity for both.

The food varied depending on which restaurant you went to and there were plenty to choose from. We didn't spend a lot of time on the Now side (tried the French restaurant only and weren't excited about it) because we wanted to stay Adults Only but also because the Secrets side met our needs. The buffet always had plenty to choose from including wonderful fresh fruit and pretty and tasty desserts, Gohan (sushi) we liked a lot, the Seaside Grill had very good options, Oceania was uneven--one great meal and one just okay, and the beach grill was excellent!

The drinks were tasty. Not a lot of alcohol per drink by default but you could always request more.

The service everywhere--bars, restaurants, concierge, room service, cleaning--was exceptional! The staff work incredibly hard to provide the best service. You will likely see the same entertainment staff members teaching aerobics in the morning, leading games in the afternoon, and dancing for/with you in the evenings--they work very long days. Shout out to Cheveron, Akon, Milkey Way, etc. Always smiling, always gracious and great dancers!!

We had a junior suite, ocean-view, king bed room with jacuzzi on the balcony. It was clean and pretty and the bed was very comfortable. Although you had to go out on the balcony to see the ocean, it was all good. There are very few actual ocean-view rooms on property based on the way the buildings are aligned.

There are a lot of nice extras at this resort. Glasses of champagne on arrival and a bottle kept chilled for us; turn down service with chocolate kisses; stocked minibar; complementary toiletries; robe and slippers and so on. On realizing it was our anniversary, they set up room service breakfast for us. We knew we would be getting a continental breakfast of fruit, toast, sweet rolls, juice and coffee. However, we got all that plus a plate of cheese and meats, yogurts, champagne, and a long stem carnation wrapped with a bow. This is the kind of "above and beyond" service that typifies this resort.

We did tip and we'd recommend tipping, not because anybody seemed to expect it but because everyone works so hard here.

We went off-resort three times. Once was to do a free shopping excursion for trinkets and cigars that was set up by the local VIP agent (via BookIt).

Twice we ate dinner at local restaurants: Jellyfish and Noah.

Jellyfish, an open air beachfront restaurant, had a lovely view but was very windy the night we were there (had to hold onto our napkins to keep them from flying). The armed guards at the front of the lot were a bit freaky--not sure what that was about. The food was good but not worth the price for us. However, we did get the pleasure of meeting Cookie, the house parrot who happened to be perched on a nearby seat.

Noah was a very different experience. The food and wine choices were great! It was an indoor, more formal atmosphere and nice for a special occasion.

The evening band and shows were pleasant and the fire shows and circus shows were better than we've seen at other places.

Don't hesitate if you are seeking a laid-back, elegant getaway. Everything was not perfect nor did we expect it to be. That's life. But we had a great time and would heartily recommend Secrets Royal Beach.

Room Tip: It seemed like first floor rooms could be very noisy because of the carts rolling down the halls. W...
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We spent 10 nights here for our honeymoon in May 2013. From start to finish our stay was amazing. Everything is spotless, you can clearly see just how hard ALL of the staff work to make your visit as relaxing as possible.
We stayed in swim up room 5155 and it was just perfect. The lazy river pool was awesome, we did numerous laps daily with a cocktail in hand thanks to the attentitive pool servers.
The food was good, the only a la carte we were disappointed with was Capers Italian on the NOW side. The hibachi table at Spice was fantastic, as was Tamarino Mexican and the Steakhouse at secrets. Both buffets did the job an the food was hot and of good quality, you must try the fresh pasta station !
Although we enjoyed the lobby and the entertainment at Secrets we found ourselves heading into the NOW side most evenings after 10 as it was a bit livelier and had the Nightclub and Casino and more bars. We liked the concept of having the choice of the 2 resorts. Some people didn't.
The beach I BEAUTIFUL, the best I've ever seen.
I hope in the future I will return to this amazing place !!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!