“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Hallandale Beach, Florida
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel was incredible because of the following: The beach was beautiful, the food amazing but what made it a vacation to cherished was their staff. I will start with Claire Stott that gave us a great welcome when we arrive and explained everything in detail. Santos the somelier at Oceana,Santos the bartender at the preferred club,Juan Carlos at Oceana made sure we ate like royalty. The spa was amazing!!!! We are planning to go back in the winter. We highly recommend this hotel as a real jewel for a great vacation.The staff eagerness to please made it a real memorable stayed. You will love this place it was heaven on earth!!!!Thanks to all the staff.
Forgot to mention the rooms were beautiful and the eagerness of the staf

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,189)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at Secrets Royal Beach from 7/22 - 7/29. I had an absolutely fantastic vacation. I had originally booked a Tropical Suite Garden View but upgraded to a Swim Out Room when I arrived on site. I asked about the upgrade and was told a price for the upgrade but then we did the negotiation dance and I got the upgrade for half the original price. My experience is that you should book Garden View and then upgrade on site, it will be much cheaper than paying the advertised price for the swim out room.

I did have a problem with the room when I first checked in but the hotel staff was wonderful, especially Estelle at the front desk. She made everything better than could be expected. She worked hard to correct the problems (not even worth mentioning) and made our stay excellente.

The food at the hotel was fabulous. I did not experience any of the negativity I had read about the food from other trip advisor reviewers. I ate 4 nights at the Steak House, 2 nights at the Italian on the Now side and one dinner at the buffet. The Now side Italian restaurant is the resorts best kept secret. You have to go to the reception and ask to be driven over to the Italian restaurant in one of the golf carts but is worth it. The Steak House had nice steaks cooked to order and they have daily specials. The buffet is small compared to other resorts but being small they can concentrate on quality.

I had read some reviews about people thinking the drinks were watered down. I don't know about that. My only observation was that it is very hot in the Dominican Republic and the ice in the drinks melts fast. The frozen drinks come to you frozen but quickly melt and this may have something to do with why some think the drinks are watered down. I thought the drinks were good. I had a swim out room and Junior and Jeffrey (the drink attendants) were great and we never went thirsty with these two great servers on the job.

The swim out room is the way to go at this resort. You never have to get up early to reserve a chair by the pool. They bring the drinks to you. You can be quiet or a quick swim over to the main pool and you can be right in the action. Do not miss the foam party in the pool. It was a lot of fun. The do have rafts to be given out each day. They do not have a lot of them. I was a raft hog and hid the raft in my jacuzzi every night. A lot of people brought their own from home and just left them there at the end of their stay.

My only suggestion that I wrote on my departing comments to the hotel was that I felt they should provide a non smoking section for the shows in the evening. The venue is open air but so many people were smoking that at times I could not breath. My clothes smelled like smoke and I had to move my seat three times one night. I did ask during the week if it would be possible and I was told that they would bring my suggestion to the daily briefing of hotel management. It did not happen during my stay but I hope in the future they consider a smoking and non smoking section for the evening shows.

I will definitely be going back to Secrets Royal Beach. You will not be disappointed at all with this resort.

Room Tip: I was in build 5. Swim out rooms are the best located. No need to go preferred club at this resort...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Jacob, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Flew down on Frontier airlines in June 2013 for a 7 day stay at Secrets Royal Beach. Great airline. Hotel close to airport. Facility was clean. Staff very friendly although language barrier was at times tricky. Plenty of premium brand alcohol. 7 different types of Absolute on the Lamar side. Best bar on the Royal side was the lobby bar. One of the best things was that there were no reservations required for the up-scale restaurants. It was first come first serve. All restaurants had A.C. but it was still warm. A few degrees lower on the thermostat would have been nice. The grill out near the beach was the best. Ribs, fish, chicken, and burgers were all great. We ate there almost every day. Only drawback was that most of the areas, including your room, that were air-conditioned were still quite warm. Even the casino on the Lamar side was warm. They always had a fan running to help circulate the air.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is so beautiful. The staff is always smiling and friendly. The Oseana Rivera grill and Gohan Sea Side restaurants are the best!! Alejandro is great,he runs the bars. They have any drink you want! Great week and will recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed May 2013
Texas City, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just got back from a week at secrets royal hotel, they had a good selection of restaurants rooms lovely staff lovely they could not do enough to please you especially the charming young english girl called claire from the VIP desk.
Would highly reccomend this hotel.

Troy, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed a Secrets from July 14th thru the 20th. Our goal was to relax so we avoided parasailing,snorkeling and all of the other excursions - we never left the resort.
Just a few Negatives - Avoid the Now side, too loud, too many kids. The casino is not worth a visit - too small and the staff was rude. The French restaurant was a tremendous disappointment, don't bother. The sports bar is not a sports bar. I tried to watch some of the MLB All Star game but could not deal with the kids and the noise.
The gym is small with too few treadmills but it was very clean and the guests tended to respect the 30 minute time limit on the machines.
A couple of people on the beach tried to sell us excursions but on the second day my wife & I learned to tell people "No thanks, we're just here to relax and read" and that worked.
We weren't thrilled with housekeeping - had to call on two days to get our room cleaned late in the afternoon - we'd returned to our room to change for dinner and it hadn't been cleaned after 5pm. A minor issue but it should not be that way at a 5 star resort.
We ordered room service once and it hasn't shown up yet.
Lots of Positives -
We stayed in a garden view room on the first floor. Very clean and comfortable. I read reviews that mentioned the dim lighting and it did bother me when I tried to shave but it did not ruin my day.
The buffet was our favorite place to eat. The food was good - not gourmet - but there were plenty of options. The staff at the buffet was stellar at every meal. The wait staff at the buffet was especially friendly and their hospitality was genuine. We enjoyed learning a little Spanish every day. Rosa - we looked forward to seeing you every morning at breakfast, Thanks for everything.
Our waiter on the beach, Alberto, took great care of us. He was patient as we learned the names of the drinks and he always brought glasses of water with our drinks after I asked the first day. Mr. New York and Cheveron got us up and moving and involved in games but if we wanted to sit an activity out - no problem. The beach is heavenly. The sand is like powder. The water is warm and the waves are gentle and relaxing. The seaweed that we read complaints about in reviews is a non-issue. We got a late start on the first morning but still got a palapa(sp?). When we were motivated and got up early we were able to get a prime spot in the first row with a table.
We preferred the laid back beach to the pool but the people at the pool during the day loved it. The pool is livelier during the day and pool bar is active. (If you ask for a premium liquor - Absolut, Stoli's etc. rather than the usual well brand the bartenders at any bar and the waiters are happy to oblige.) We visited the pool late in the afternoon and at night. We brought along our own blow up floats - they were handy in the pool and the ocean.
The nightly entertainment was fun. No, the talent does not compete with Las Vegas but we had a great time every night.
All of the staff were friendly, warm and helpful. I don't speak Spanish but the staff liked it when I tried and gently talked me through some basics. The people made all the difference at the resort whether it was the waiters/waitresses or the staff we passed in the halls who asked us how we were. The bellmen in the lobby were so friendly and helpful when we arrived & departed - made a lasting impression.
We got a couples massage at the spa and went to the all you can eat lobster party on the beach. We enjoyed both - not life changing events but they were nice. The property is clean and nicely landscaped. If you get up early and walk around you'll see staff cleaning everywhere and setting up the bars and the buffet.
We enjoyed the seafood restaurant & the steakhouse & the sushi restaurant. All were good. Menus are limited considering they are the premium restaurants.
We had such a relaxing time and would go back to this resort. We would consider staying at other Secrets properties.

Chincoteague Island, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This resort was excellent. I belong to the unlimited vacation club so I am a true lover of all the Secrets resorts, but Royal Beach was so accomodating. Our flight had been cancelled due to a tropical storm and we checked in a day later, but the unlimited club and the resort changed my reservation so that we didn't lose a day of vacation. Claire Stott was wonderful! It was my husband's birthday and she had a cake made and sent to the room. I really could not have asked for anything more. The beach is gorgeous and very clean. We were able to walk up and down the beach for about a mile in each direction, and Royal Beach resort was the best of all the resorts we saw. I would definitely go again and very soon. The entertainment at this resort was really good too. Activities all throughout the day were great as well. You will love the Italian restaurant. We went back for a second night. You will not be disappointed staying at this resort.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms are the best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!