We just returned from a 5 night stay at Secrets Royal Beach. The resort and beach are beautiful. We had a tropical view room in the south ( Mar Esmeralda) building. The room is just as pictured on the Secrets website and everything was clean and worked well. This type room is located on the opposite side of the buildings from the central pool and garden area. Try for a room as close to the beach to have closer proximity to the restaurants, pool and beach. However, the most distant room from the beach is only about a 4-5 minute walk. Pool facing rooms in the north (Cielo Azul) building enjoy sun all day.
Guests can eat at any Secrets or Now Larimar restaurant. Everything Now has to offer is a quick walk away. We had no wait for seating at any of our meals. Meals and service were generally very good. The Mexican night buffet was our only disappointment. Waiters and house staff are happy to serve, seem eager to accommodate your wishes and most have a great sense of humor. Being able to speak some Spanish is useful and will increase your enjoyment but it is not imperative. We especially enjoyed times when Nelis, Esterling, Angel, Zamora or Jose A were helping us.
Chairs at poolside are at a premium. I don't know how early guests stake out the chairs with their towels. Those around the bar pool were all gone by 8:30 AM each day. We did find 2 together in other areas around the pools each day. It is good idea to put a personal item or magazine on your chair to keep chair hijackers from stealing your chair while you are gone. We had that happen twice with people putting their own towel over ours and feigning ignorance that the chair already was being used by someone else. Chairs by the beach are easier to find, except under the palapas. We preferred our chairs to be under the numerous palm trees by the beach.
The beach is wide, white and palm tree lined. You can walk the beach uninterrupted for about 20 minutes north and almost an hour south. Seaweed is groomed each morning and again during the day.
The Internet was functional. We paid $60 (cash only) for one week unlimited use. The next option was $25 for 25 hours. Signal did not reach the beach and varied from 1-3 bars in our room. Speed was not a problem.
A few small annoyances were when one of our robes disappeared and never reappeared despite asking for one, not having hand towels one day or wash clothes another. The pool and beach chair towel game was frustratating. Skip the introduction to the resort for "coupons" which seems to be a lead-in to a timeshare pitch. We also did not understand why our VIP Airport Transfer agency did not just give us a return trip time the day we arrived versus making us return to the travel center the next morning at 9:30 AM to get our time and to hear about potential tours. If I wanted to hear about tours, I would go ask.
Overall, this is great place to stay for a relaxing time at a beautiful location that is well maintained. The resort's small size and adults only friendly atmosphere keep things peaceful and enjoyable. We would gladly return.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Royal Beach Hotel Punta Cana
- Secrets Royal Beach Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated on the picturesque palm-studded, sugar white Playa Bavaro beach on the eastern coastline of the Dominican Republic, Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana offers adults all the privileges of Unlimited-Luxury®. Guests will immediately be embraced within an extraordinary environment where luxury illuminates every detail and our high level of personal service is unmatched. To ensure your romantic escape is everything you've imagined, every detail of your stay will be flawlessly provided and superbly attended to. From the fine quality linens to the daily refreshed mini bar and the unlimited premium brand beverages to the pool and beach wait service. You'll be immersed within a world of stunning architectural design coupled with resplendent views of the lush gardens, crystal-clear Caribbean Sea and dazzling swimming pools. This tranquil, romantic haven in Playa Bavaro is like nothing else you've ever experienced before. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Secrets Royal Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.