Went to the Secrets in Punta Cana for six days in early January 2013. Overall impressions:
1. Love that there are no screaming children.
2. The rooms were nice. Next time I will get a room on the other side of the corridor (odd numbered room) though as those open onto the pool.
3. The staff were really friendly. Enrique was a star. Only encountered one miserable soul (there always has to be one, right).
4. The food was a bit hit or miss. Went to Oceana the first night. The mahi mahi was OK. The lobster cream was not fit for human consumption (think brown dirty water). Spice was pretty good, probably one of the best meals of the week (had them combine the chicken skewer main with the vegetable curry main - good!). Capers (the Italian restaurant) was rather mediocre - blue cheese n the gnocchi came as a surprise. The buffet at Rivera was pretty good. Be sure to get some of the fish they prepare on the grill (rather than what is pre-cooked). Finally, the barbecue was excellent - be sure to try their chicken with barbecue sauce!
5. The beach was great. The first day the seaweed was dreadful, but all subsequent days there were people cleaning up, so the didn't encounter the seaweed again.
6. You do have access to the facilities of Now, e.g, the casino. My mom loved that place!
7. Lastly though, the wi-fi was bit of a joke. USD25 for 25 hours. The ony good thing about the wi-fi connection having been so crappy was that it kept logging you out whenever you moved around the resort, which meant I was able use my 25 hours over 5 of the days. Also note you can't split the 25 hours between multiple devices, so if you use it on your iPad, you cannot log out and then try to use it on another device. Bit of a rip-off really.
Overall it was a great trip and would definitely recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated on the picturesque palm-studded, sugar white Playa Bavaro beach on the eastern coastline of the Dominican Republic, Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana offers adults all the privileges of Unlimited-Luxury(R). Guests will immediately be embraced within an extraordinary environment where luxury illuminates every detail and our high level of personal service is unmatched. To ensure your romantic escape is everything you've imagined, every detail of your stay will be flawlessly provided and superbly attended to. From the fine quality linens to the daily refreshed mini bar and the unlimited premium brand beverages to the pool and beach wait service. You'll be immersed within a world of stunning architectural design coupled with resplendent views of the lush gardens, crystal-clear Caribbean Sea and dazzling swimming pools. This tranquil, romantic haven in Playa Bavaro is like nothing else you've ever experienced before. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia and Priceline so you can book your Secrets Royal Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Royal Beach Hotel Punta Cana