“Great service and great food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

Save Saved
You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #9 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Houston, Texas
“Great service and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our vacation got off to a rough start, but quickly turned around. From the hotel shuttle through Delta Vacations, to the front desk, to the concierge, everyone immediately started presuring us into booking excursions. It was quite annoying as we just wanted to start our vacation and not be bothered about things we werent interested in. Jacky (host/butler) took over immediately and got us to our room. He consistantly followed up with us EVERYDAY to make sure we were happy and to see if we needed anything. He made reservations for us, gave us details about the hotels, and even specially decorated our room and jacuzzi with rose petals for us. There were MANY others that stood out including but not limited to Steves (host), Angel (pool server), Martinez (bartender), and Feliz (server at Oceana). For the most part we thoroughly enjoyed our food. Our favorites were Spice (asian cousine) and Oceana (seafood). The breakfast and lunch buffet was excellent with a large variety to meet the needs of people from all over the world. I have a few pieces of advise: 1. If you want something ask. They dont always immediately anticipate your needs but always come through on requests. 2. Restaurant service at NOW is significantly worse than in Secrets. The service in Capers was especially poor. It almost seemed as though we were inconveniencing them. 3. Dont drink the water. This includes brushing your teeth with the faucet and pool water being splashed in your drinks. Us as well as several other couples suffered from stomach issues. 4. The hotel literature states that they do not allow people to save chairs before 8am, but this is NOT the case. Several German families woke at the crack of dawn to save a majority of the chairs.

I would definitely go again and would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Make sure your room truly has an ocean view if you requested it. First floor rooms are nice and inc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana for your vacation and taking your time to make a review on TripAdvisor, sharing your experience with other travelers.

We regret you vacations didn't start as you expected, but we are happy to know that our staff help and make sure you had an unforgettable experience. Our main goal is not only to meet but exceed all our guest expectation, and your satisfaction is our main prize.

Thank you for sharing your experience and give us the opportunity to see some little details to look after, to give you an even better time in your next visit.

Jazmin Rojas

3,671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Beach Secrets resort, celebrating our 10 year anniversary as well as friends of ours Marriage! It was a trip of a life time. We were there for 10 days and loved it! The people, the staff, the guests!

Room Tip: we stayed in an ocean view jr. suite. Loved it! only would have changed was to stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana for your anniversary celebration and for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read your remarks about our staff and your amazing life time experience. We expect to have the pleasure to serve you and your friends in a near future.

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

DATE Nov 2nd - Nov 9th, 2012. and with my husband & myself for my 40th & Our 14th Anniversary. FOOD please NOTE I am all about the food love to cook so I am a real critic but many people seemed to feel the same way that we met.....FOOD was "okay" first time to Dominican so can only compare to other Am Resorts (Dreams Cancun and Vallarta best food) & other AI - RIU (the worst for food in restaurants), Barcelo, Sandals.... Buffet was okay, best was the Japense (Spice), worst was the Bluewater Grill (service), Mercure (French) worst food. Room service was good. DRINKS House wines not the best but could order wines for $$. Good selction of cocktails premium Brands - Coorslight (husbands drink) Stoli/Bacardi/Absolut/ Vodka drinker - so not sure about other liquors but I imagine they had, but beware they would run out on a daily basis, so limted premiums. The staff would try to get more but they seemed to only be able to get from time to time.Cranberrry juice bottled & would run out. ROOM 5150 Main Floor which I actaully liked, clean, bed comfortable, nice shower, outdoor jaccuzzi (did not use), musty smell very humid, pretty quiet a little water noise in the wall one night but went away. POOLS pretty much stayed at the pool with pool bar, not alot of chairs, beach was nice, clean some seaweed but not bother some, no peddlars on beach. Chairs were comfortable. STAFF - "Excellente" & I quote as they said this often, which was nice, all staff tried to accomdate our requests, first night wanted a nice wine at the bar, & they got room service to bring, it did a bit of time but they went the extra mile & this was the first time we met "Jacky", we saw him almost every day was very helpful, including getting our room decorated & cake. He also helped when my husband got sick (think food poisioning) but not sure, was not travellers "diarreha" as he has had before, it happens. Last two nights there. CASINO - was small but still had fun, won the poker tournament, only permit for 1hr for poker . DISCO did not make it too however some people we met said just to hot as was outside....Next door NOW LARIMAR - lots of kids....WEATHER hot and humid, did not rain once but they were expecting thunderstorms in the evening. TRANSFER to and from good, travelled with Westjet......Over all a good time and if you want something do not be afraid to ask.

Room Tip: We do about 6 trips a year, so if you want to spend less $$$ the main floor rooms are good & wou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I visited the Secrets Royal Beach at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. Overall, we had a good vacation. The service was excellent across the resort. Check in and checkout were quick. Every time we ordered room service, they were there soon with hot food. I had a very hard time deciding whether to give the resort a 3 or 4, because some parts were much, much better than average. However, we did hit some speed bumps that made it harder to love the resort.

Noise - One of the things I hated was how loud things were on the resort. For example, the music played at the pool bar was so loud, I couldn't talk to my husband over it. At one point, I nicely asked the bartender to turn it down, and he helped fix it temporarily. However, it was louder again later in the day/week, so it was kind of a constant annoyance. The music played in the square at night was so loud that I had to turn on the TV to drown it out. Also, a couple days before we left, a group moved in down the hall who would keep their doors open and scream constantly. When I politely asked them if they could keep it down so we could nap, they told me I should nap some other time. In the pool, there was also a group of people (not sure if it was the same group as down the hall from me or not) who came in right before sundown and was ridiculously rowdy. Overall, the constant noise made it very difficult to relax and unwind. It also made me want to avoid my favorite part of a resort - the swim-up bar.

Dirty Pool - the grout for the pool tiling needs some serious scrubbing. It wasn't horrible in all spots, but some were pretty gross.

Restaurant selection/drinks in restaurants - Secrets only has two ala carte restaurants and neither of them are open for lunch. You have to go over to the NOW resort to get any variety. Some of the restaurants don't have a bar, so you can only get wine or their "welcome drink." I wouldn't mind getting wine, but their house wine was really horrendous and their wine list was so ridiculously priced for the quality level that it wasn't worth it to me to order a bottle.

Ultimate Vacation Club - When we checked in, they gave us a voucher for VIPs and told us that we needed to go to the desk on the side to get all of our free rewards before we go to our room. Since all of the wonderful people on Trip Advisor had warned us about the timeshares, we assumed that is what they were trying to get us to visit and just ignored the suggestion. When we went to leave for our room, someone stopped us and told us we needed to go to the VIP thing. We said "No thanks" and she told us to make sure to come back later, which we didn't. That was the last we were asked about it, so it's not as if it ruined our vacation. However, I definitely think that it's tacky that they're selling timeshares to begin with and that they're trying to disguise it as a VIP service.

Smoking - there were plenty of smokers who would light up anywhere. We ended up never eating outside, because you never knew if the table getting sat next to you was going to light up and start blowing smoke in your face.

Housekeeping - I don't know if they are understaffed, but it seems as though housekeeping didn't come service rooms very quickly. They did an adequate job once they arrived, though.

Updates on the NOW side - some of the rooms were being varnished so when you walked by, it reeked. More troublesome, though, was when we went to one of the restaurants for dinner. It was not well ventilated and it stunk of varnish. We ended up leaving right after we sat down, because we couldn't imagine being able to enjoy a meal there. I would think that the fumes would make someone sick if they were there for an extended period of time.

Rafts and chairs around the pool - it was very hard to get a chair near the pool, which was slightly obnoxious. Even more obnoxious were people who saved a raft by the chair that they didn't use all day so that rafts were not available to other guests. Secrets should have you check out rafts like you do towels, and have someone come around and collect the ones that aren't in use. Plus, the rafts were pretty beat up.

Spa - There is a spa on the Secrets side, but there's also a spa on the NOW side (called RAM). The latter isn't a full on spa, but its prices are almost half what the Secrets spa was. I just couldn't imagine the quality being twice as good on the Secrets side, so I got my hot stone massage at RAM.

Like I said, we still had a good time. I probably would not pay full price for this resort, but if you can get a good rate, I would recommend going. If we go to Punta Cana in the future and are considering staying, we might stay at the NOW side instead, since most of the restaurants are over there anyway and the noise level is about the same.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting one that opens out to the pool, so you have guaranteed lounge chairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager, we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana for your vacations and taking your time to share your experience with other travelers by posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your review and all details you mention, being good or points to take under consideration from our property as those help us to improve in all our services.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you once again and make sure you have the excellent experience we are use to give to all our guest.

Abingdon, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana is an amazing all inclusive resort. Secrets is an extension of the Larimar Now all inclusive resort. Why would I choose Secrets versus Larimar Now? The biggest difference between Secrets and Larimar Now is Secrets is adults only. Secrets resort is more upscale and the service is incredible. All problems are dealt with immediately. Guests at Secrets can walk over to the Larimar Now to try their restaurants or see shows performed there. However, Larimar Now guests can’t come over the Secrets side. Secrets have performances in the main plaza and drinks are served often. The service is efficient and so friendly. They provide a flyer every day so we can plan our day activities. It can be as active as you want or as relaxing on the beach under a tiki umbrella.
Erika and Juan Manuel at Guest Services are two of the many who work at Secrets that make your stay so relaxed and worry free. Dominican Republic primary language is Spanish, they do understand and speak English. We met people from all over the world at the resort. From Virginia to Germany, people flock here to enjoy the sunshine and warmth. They use pesos as their money, but fortunately for us, they like American dollars. We didn’t have to exchange at all. At the time we went, one American dollar is equivalent to 40 pesos.
My husband and I are celebrating our 18th anniversary. We have 3 boys from 16yrs to 9 yrs. We were looking for an all inclusive that would give us memories with no worries and grown up fun. It is the first trip we have ever taken without the kids. We were looking forward to dressing up, having fun and lots of peace free time. Love my kids, but they come up with the most amazing things to make my hair white with stress. My husband found Secrets to met all our needs and then some. Even to the last minute we were leaving and one of the fantastic servers came running out with a bottle of water I had asked for, the taxi arrived on time to goto the airport and we had incredible service to the very end. The server was fast so I didn’t catch her name at the lobby, but Thank YOU!!! We were running to our taxi to make it to airport because we weren’t ready to leave on time. It was our fault we dawdled too long.
When you arrive at Secrets, you are welcomed home with a glass of wine/champagne for check in. You do have someone speak to you about signing up for excursions which are additional and they will try to convince you to sign up for “vacation time share”. We just wanted to start our vacation immediately and relax. They were great and didn’t push once they understood we really wanted to start our stress free vacation.
The rooms are wonderful size. You can get a double beds or kingsize. We got the junior garden room which is in the Cielo Blue building on the first floor. We had a huge bathroom, with bidet. A Jacuzzi on the patio. We didn’t use the Jacuzzi at all except to rince off sand. Cielo Blue is near the plaza and close to the main building. Very close to the Larimar Now side too. It is protected by security and everything very convenient to get to.
You can get rooms that open to the lazy river, which is a lovely long pool that travels and can be seen from some of the rooms/buildings . It’s a lovely pool that you can do a nice refreshing stroll, not deep approx 4 ft. so you can take a nice walk or float travelling the long pool with your partner. Rooms by the lazy river pool allow you to walk out of the patio and just jump into the pool. Very nice, convenient, but with so many people at the pool if you get a room on the first floor it won’t give you as much privacy during the daytime until it closes at 7pm. Most buildings have 3 floors. We stayed on the ground floor. It is easy, no stairs, or elevators. All rooms at Secrets have room service, turn down the bed service and rooms cleaned every day. The room service can take some time during busy hours. We enjoyed room service for the late night snacks.
Secrets have rooms by the beaches and are close to main pool with the MOST Awesome swim up BAR!!! The lazy river splits up and you can drift over to the main pool. The barkeeps are great, friendly and can dance a margarita right up to you at the bar. Beautiful views from these rooms but lots of noise by the beach and pool area. During the day, there is always fun, activities and drinks all day. If you like noise and action you can be part of it everyday. The beach has morning yoga or beach volleyball in the afternoon. Lots of activity for you to enjoy with no children. You can learn the cha cha, dance or just shoot paintball target practice. Secrets is filled with activity and fun if you want to take a break from relax.ation There are 3 restaurants in Secrets. They are fantastic and close to the main pool and beach.
Dominican Republic have short rain showers. We had a rain shower in the afternoons. We stayed dry under our tiki on the beach drinking our margaritas. Secrets is designed incredibly well, where you can navigate thru open halls from building to buildings and stay completely dry or out of the sun. We saw retirees, fellow couples, weddings and sisters celebrating reaching 60s together. (Hey Hank and Carol!!)
Beaches are protected and you see security guys around the beach and at the resorts. It really makes a difference, the beaches are owned by the government so people can walk along the ocean shore, but they keep the riff raft away. We walked down the beach every morning and we walked towards the Larimar Now beach, then kept going, past other resorts. The further you go down the beach, the more you visibly see the difference in how well Secrets keeps their beaches spotless. They clean up the seaweeds that get washed up, they rake the beaches keeps the sand even and clean of debris. There aren’t any potholes to fall into in the morning from days before. We saw hotels from our walk along the beachfront and you will see the aggressive riff raft huddling under the palm tree. They will try to pressure you into buying something.
The Secrets resorts really do an awesome job at giving you a wonderful protected clean beach. They give you a dream vacation, Secrets provides the palm trees and ocean waves with special attention to guests.
We walked down the opposite way down the beach and there are several beaches down there that are owned by other inclusive resorts and it was beautiful, but not as incredible as Secrets’ Beaches. They are pristine.
SeaPro is located on the beach between Secrets and Larimar Now. You can get your beach towels there and take lessons on sailing, etc. They provide fantastic excursions for an additional cost. Most excursions are good deals, they can average about $100 per person, but you do A LOT AND SEE A LOT!!! We didn’t really sign up for the extra excursions. It was our first time going to an all inclusive, we stayed 6 nights and seven days. We stayed on the resort and there was plenty to do. We wanted to relax and get away from all the running around from one activity to another for the kids. Some of our friends did sign up for a few extra excursions. You get a thorough view of seeing the real D.R. You can zipline your way and see from a birds view. Travel to remote islands. Have a wild time. My friends had a fantastic time, but they wish they signed up for less. Two excursions are a good balance, and you can always add more if you want later.
The main restaurants are The Riviera, the Oceania, and the Sea????? The Hostess or Host ask for your room number and then escort you to your table. Some restaurants share one doorway to enter and then split off to two different restaurants. Some restaurants like the Riviera is open buffet and casual. You have to wear a coverup over the swim suit, but flip flops and casual are easy. The nicer restaurants which are not buffet style require men to wear collar shirts, pants and shoes. Women can now have a reason to dress up. Shorts and flip flops don’t work for the nice restaurants, and it is be difficult and can be expensive trying to buy for Americans sizes. We had the best time and would do it again. October is considered off season which is when we went. We took a chance during the hurricane season and were very lucky. Secrets still had almost full occupancy during this time. November thu April and Summer months the prices are higher because it is peak season. You have full Occupancy during the peak season. There are even more to do during peak season because of Festivals or Whales migrating, etc.

Secrets shouldn’t be a Secret for those who want to enjoy time together. Everyday life can make you lose sight of each other. This resort helps you find each other even if you aren’t lost. It doesn’t have to be couples only. Though couples are all around, but we saw girlfriends having a nice get together. Family members catching up and Adults/grown ups just enjoying the Secrets dream.

Room Tip: A good tip is read up about Dominican Republic. It helps when you know what to expect. Bring lots...
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our general manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta cana and taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We would like to express our pride to read that you highlighted all details and services in the hotel and your satisfaction with them, as your appreciated time to share it with others travelers.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon and give you a new unforgettable experience in our property.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We arrived at this resort on October 26th for a one week holiday. From the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty. The check-in was a smooth process. We were immediately offered a glass of champagne and a cold towel. Our room was beautiful, clean and spacious. The resort is very well maintained. We tried all the restaurants and they were all excellent. I highly recommend the all you can eat lobster party they hold on Friday's. You do have to pay extra for it but the lobster is so fresh and they keep serving you until you can't eat no more! Every person who works at this resort is nice and friendly. Jose and Carlos at the pool bar greeted us every morning and remembered what our favorite drink was. The entertainment team at this resort is amazing! Speedy, Micky Mouse, Akon, Cinthia and Winnie made everyday exciting. There was always an activity to participate it. If you did choose to participate, you earn entertainment team dollars that can be used at the auctions they hold 3 times a week. The entertainment team put on a great Halloween party and the beach party was unbelievable. These are a great group of entertainers that will make your vacation even more memorable! The beach area was beautiful. What I especially loved was that since this is a smaller resort there was never an issue getting beach chairs. We did not have to worry about waking up early to get a spot. The beach is kept clean and there are plenty of servers on the beach offering you drinks and picking up dirty glasses. The pool area is very spacious, with a large lazy river, where you could relax on a raft and float around the pool. I was also impressed with the housekeeping. Our room was kept very clean. Housekeeping also cleaned the outside Jacquzzi daily. The only word of caution that I will put out there is that there is a time share company that works out of this resort. On our first day we were greeted by a member of the unlimited luxury club that offered us a spot at their "welcome breakfast". This breakfast is sold as a way to get to know the hotel and the different things to do in Punta Cana. We did agree to go for the breakfast and after realizing it was a pitch for a time share we kindly said no thanks and went on with our day as I was not ready to waste two hours of sunshine for something I would not be interested in. One other note is that most restaurants and entertainment is over on the Now Larimar side. Its a short walk over and the nice thing about that is if you are looking for a quiet evening you can just sit in the Secrets outside lobby and listen to the band play and not have to worry about being woken up after 11:00 pm. If you are looking for a vacation spot on a beautiful beach, if you are looking for amazing service and great food this is the resort for you! Thank you Secrets for exceeding my expectations and big thank you to the entertainment staff for making our vacation a blast!

Room Tip: Every room has a jaquzzi tub on the balcony. The pool side rooms have direct access to the pool with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana for your vacations and taking your time to share your experience with other travelers.

We would like to express how honored we feel to hear that you had an excellent experience with us. Also, we are more than glad to acknowledge that our friendly staff has ensured you an unforgettable holiday. Thank you for mentioning the staff who made a difference during your visit, like Carlos and Jose from the pool bar and Speedy, Akon, Winnie, Cynthia from our entertainment team.

All of them will specially wait your return to mark once again an unforgettable time with us.

Jazmin Rojas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I had such a great time at secrets in the dominican republic. Service was wonderful! The employees made us feel at home. I especially enjoyed Speedy and Micky. They attended to all our requests. I will recommend this vacation location to anyone that wants to have a relaxing exciting time

• Stayed November 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of our General Manager, we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach for your vacations and taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that you had such an amazing time and that our staff, specially our entertainment team, went above and beyond your expectation. Your remarks are really valuable for us.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again very soon and give you another unforgettable life time experience.

Jazmín Rojas

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!