“I feel ripped off!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Sand box
“I feel ripped off!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Well, where should I begin? I booked a 2 week stay at Secrets with Orbitz and we were supposed to have an ocean view room, what we got was a pool view room. The room was nice however and most all of the staff was friendly. Got heckled everytime we were trying to relax o the beach by vendors trying to sell us on some sort of excursion and when we did decided on something to do we went through the consierge and we got hosed there. We booked a snorkel trip and a horse back trip two seperate days and paid for them individually, first the horse back trip the guy that picked us up decided to tip himself before we even went on the ride, and the snorkel trip was the speed boat/ snorkel and it was a joke, big waves, a guide that was driking on the job and his buddy trying to sell us a video of the snorkel trip which was annoying. There was not an atm in close proximity and when I did find one it was pesos only which the exchange rate is less in the resort compound. Finally the food, the food was some of the worst food we have ever eaten, both my wife and I got sick a couple of different times and between the two of us loss 20 lbs. because we couldn't eat and when we did it wouldn't stay if you know what I mean.

Room Tip: Next time I would do a swim up room, but there won't be a next time.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Resident_Mgr_Asst, General Manager at Secrets Royal Beach, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Resort Secrets Royal Beach.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you have encountered during your stay.

We regret not being able to meet your expectations. We take every comment serious and your points of criticism are beneficial suggestions to us to improve the service quality to our valued guests like you.

Thank you again for your genuine feedback.

It will be a great pleasure to be able to serve you again in the future as one of our precious guests.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I was there on a business trip, so I did not have the opportunity to enjoy all the facilities. One of the best things, was the food and the service it seems as if you are not in an all inclusive resort. They really make you feel like a VIP guest. I did safe some time to take a swim is their amazing river pool, you can swim around the hotel and contemplate the great gardens, I did finish my swin around by the beautiful beach. I can not wait to go back wit my wife.

• Stayed October 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This place is amazing..I loved that it was so close to the airport. Since October is wet season we were really worried about rain...there was not one cloud in the sky the whole time. Secrets is an adults only resort. I loved the party atmosphere. Drinks galore, although the alcohol was watered down the drinks were still yummy. The best thing is that there's no limit as to how many times u can eat in a la carte restaurants... No reservations, first come first serve. My only complain was the food. It was ok, nothing great, but since I usually stay in all inclusive hotels I wasn't surprised about the quality of the food. The breakfast buffet was yummy though. Secrets is a new addition to the larimar now hotel. So when staying in secrets you can go over to the other side (where families stay) but they can't come to yours. I loved it

• Stayed October 2011
Albuquerque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

As they say in Vegas, it’s a push.

First impression when we walked in to the lobby was eah. Not really what I expected from a 4 star. No high ceilings framed with mahogany and marble. No fountain or sculpture (other then the centerpiece which may have been art since no one could figure out what it was) but not a big deal. We were greeted with champagne and cold towels and were promptly waited on by the desk clerk. While we waited, I and everyone else at the desk overheard another couple who apparently were having some sort of room issue.
They ask to talk to the manager and were told by the clerk “why, there’ll still not be any rooms” The clerk was asked if he was refusing to allow them to speak to a manager and again the response was “there are no rooms, talking to a manager is pointless”. I was kind of shocked by his reply. I don’t know how that turned out, hopefully they got what they were due. Our check in was smooth, although we also were given a room with twin beds and unlike a previous reviewer we were not given the option to change rooms at a later date. Still, not a big deal. I’m not going to get POed on my first day of vacation worrying about sleeping arrangements, besides I snore so I’m sure the wife probably appreciated the space.

The room was nice, clean, quiet but typical. No better or worse, definitely no WOW factor. The grounds are green and continuously maintained. Pools are nice, there seemed to be enough chairs. Beach is fantastic and the reason we keep going back to Punta Cana. Lots of seaweed this time of year but they do try to keep ahead of it.
The food was good, no intestinal problems. Actually I have heard you don’t go to DR for the food, you go for the beach. I will say the food here (excluding the Italian restaurant which was just bad, bad, bad) was some of the best I have ever had at any DR resort. Waite staff did an excellent job although there was some confusion at the seaside grill. Knowing a little Spanish probably would have helped. BAR staff, beach-pool-lobby was great. Bending over backwards to keep us hydrated and serving fresh fruit, pastries and even fried fish snacks poolside. This is the first time I’ve ever seen this service at any DR resort. They all should get a raise.
We mete the previous reviewer, the one with the purse issue and a few of their travel mates. I just wanted to mention that these people should be held as an example of how everyone should behave while on vacation. They were kind, polite, considerate and just a blast to be around. We would try to secure pool seating close by knowing that sooner or later the entertainment would start. These are the kind of people the DR resorts should be trying to attract, and if I were management I would be searching for a way to get this group back and maybe make a better impression because hey, anyone could have a bad week.

Room Tip: Apparently it doesn’t matter what room you request. You’ll get what they give you.
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

We just came back from our honeymoon and it was absolutely beautiful there!! Everyone at the hotel was super nice EXCEPT for the people at the front desk!. We had booked 3 rooms with a deluxe oceanview and when we got there they told us we were going to have to downgrade for 2 nights because they over-booked. We were all surprised and worried that we wouldn't have anywhere to stay so we said ok. The lady pulled out a typed piece of paper, (that you could tell they use all the time) and it said it would give us a complimentary lobster dinner and a free 25 minute massage. This only totaled like $60 and our 2 night downgrade would be like a $300 difference. Then they expected us to come at 2:00 in the afternoon to move our rooms, so we did. We went to check-in, took time out of our day at the beach, and they told us our rooms weren't ready yet. So we had them put our luggage in the room anyways and they cleaned our rooms while we were at the beach. Even though they weren't very happy about it. The front desk people never apologized and anytime we had something to complain about they just shrugged their shoulders and pretended like they didn't speak english, but I know that they did because I talked to them the day before! We went down to tell them that the phone and TV in our room didnt work and they didn't care and it took them a day to come fix it. We talked to a few other couples and all of this same stuff happened to them also! It definitely makes me think that this place is a scam!!
On a better note...the food was great and the other employees were awesome! Especially Juan Carlos and Gladys!!

Dover, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

LET me first tell you the good before I tell you the cautionary tale. The hotel bar service was great! Junior, gladys, the beach, pool bar staff, Fabio, Raul, Rosie, & the lobby bar staff were fantastic!! Over all the hotel was good but.......... We had an incident.
One night we arrived into our room around 10:30 pm, My husband and I fell a sleep after a day of sun and a night of a few drinks around 11:00 pm. My husband awoke to someone saying hello, hello and voices in the hall.....he thought is was people passing in the hall. He fell asleep again for 2 seconds or so and heard- "zip" as he looked up he saw a man dressed in white and a white safari hat on walking out of the room. Dazed he got up went into the bathroom thinking some one was in our room to fix some thing, then he quickly realized that our room door was open an inch. He took a quick look around and realized that my small coach purse was gone. He called down to security and went to file a report. They came to our room to investigate and told us to see them at 10 am the next day. We were told the next day that no employee entered our room at that time (they have a record of all people entering each room), it is possible that we did not close our door tightly, the doors are heavy and we may not have latched it all the way but... some one DID ENTER OUR ROOM!!!. The next day we filed a report and waited for the results of the investigation. The report said they had no record of an entry at the at time- "surprise" but they had people looking out for my purse. At 1:00 pm we were notified that they found my purse by the pool (no cash but my cc's & license were in there). QUOTE: YOUR WIFE MUST HAVE LEFT IT THERE. funny since our group of 10 saw me with it that night and I know that I did not go to the pool after 10:30 that night. I would also guess that any one siting at the pool, the pool cleaners and the pool towel service would have discovered it before then. PLEASE LOCK YOUR PERSONAL ITEMS IN YOUR SAFE EVEN IF YOU ARE IN YOUR ROOM!! It was bad enough that some one entered our room but to have some one insinuate that we are imagining what we saw and that fact that they said I left my purse at the pool when I know I didn't, pissed us off!!! They did not and will not ever say that one of their staff was in the wrong nor did they compensate us for it!! TRAVELERS BE AWARE!!
ALSO, even if you book a king size bed you may not get one! they moved all of us on the second day so we could have a king that was not available on the day we arrived.

Richboro, Pa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I was at Secrets Royal Beach from 10/19/2011 till 10/24/2011 I am writing this review because I found pro and cons with this resorts. First this is our fifth visit to a Secrets resort and I thought Royal Beach did not stand up to the others Secrets my husband kept saying that it was recently taken over as a Secrets resort and give it a chance.
Cons no floaties at the pool if you want a float make sure you bring one from home or pay $8.00 in the gift shop. Not enough chairs around the swim up pool bar and if you want a chair you have to be up at 7:30 a.m. to claim your chair and even then people take you positions and place them off the chair. At other Secrets there was always people walking around with food or fruits snack we had one day when a person offered us fried fish.

Pros I thought the variety of the food was good and the breakfast and lunch buffet was excellent, the beds were very comfortable and the housekeeping staff did a excellent job our room was cleaned every day by the time we returned from the pool and every night we had turn down service. There is a language barrier( if you don't know Spanish )every time we ordered a mix drink we didn't know what we would get it got to be a running joke to guess what the drink was that we ordered.

I have to give kudos to Junior the pool server he never stopped walking around the pool and lazy river to get drink orders.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!