“STEALING in this hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach

You added Secrets Royal Beach to your Saves list
Secrets Royal Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
“STEALING in this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days. Good food, but awful service:
1. It can easily take 6 hours for someone to clean the room.
2. Stealing from your room is normal at this hotel. A woman who cleaned the room took money from the pocket of my trousers. After 48 hours of "investigation" they told me that the only person who entered the room was the cleaning girl, but they didn't find the money (8hours after the theft :))) no tips, etc. )
BEWARE of this hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Jasper, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

NH Royal Beach is nice and clean. If you are from the US there is a language barrier. There are very few members of the staff that can understand you. We managed okay though. The only problem that we really experienced was always having to ask for washcloths. We learned later from some very nice people that had been before, they use to not have them at all. They bring some extras in their suitcase. The beach, ocean and swimming pool are all beautiful. During the last 2 days of our stay we found out that they were changing to a Secrets Resort. They were changing the names of the restaurants on the 21st. Over all we had a great vacation. Bring floats for the pool (they will air them up at the info center where you get your towels). Bring insulated cups to keep your drinks cold. Micky 1 at the buffet was a hoot and always fun. Lucy with the activities group was also very nice. They both spoke good English too.

Room Tip: Swim up room on west side closest to beach.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I realize the insignificance, or perhaps redundancy, I do. There are several reviews available online of this place already and really, mine is probably no different, but I feel somehow obligated to reiterate and support the previously spoken evidence anyhow. While I haven't typically cared for the idea of all-inclusive resorts in the past, I decided to make an exception this time and honestly, I am grateful for it. This was actually my first all-inclusive experience, and the previous apprehensions I held so close before have subsided a little more since. Spoiled on this one? Perhaps. Lucky? Probably so. Either way, this place, this time, proved a rightful choice.

My girlfriend and I had arrived at the airport mid-afternoon on a Monday. The line for passport control was a little slow-moving but it didn't bother us a bit. We were just happy to feel that warm breeze blowing through the palapa-style terminal, which was a fine contrast to the frigid temperatures we had left behind in Minnesota. After making our way through the wait, a gentlemen guided us to the booth of Prieto Tours, the company with which we had made arrangements to shepherd us to and from our accomodation. They quickly checked us off their list, grabbed our luggage, and we headed out to the shuttle. The ride lasted about ten minutes, and it was quick and effortless. Upon arrival at the resort, we were immediately handled with kindness and grace. We stood outside the entrance for a few minutes just soaking in the sights of gently swaying palms and smiling faces waiting unhurriedly and patient to assist us. During our stance of inspiration, a woman came outside and handed us a delicious libation mixed of fresh pineapple and orange. Eventually we moseyed our way into the lobby for check-in. The friendly woman at the counter gave us all the information we needed, including maps and restaurant schedules. We stepped over to a nearby desk where another kind woman helped us make our dinner reservations for the week. It was all very simple and again, effortless. From there we followed a concierge to our room and unloaded our things. Everything was clean, orderly, and comfortable. After exploring the interior of our "Royal Superior Ocean View" room, we reached into the mini-bar, grabbed our first El Presidente cervezas and headed out to the balcony. We spent a rather idle hour or so there with our legs kicked up just unwinding from our flights until hunger came upon us. Beyond the lazy river and across the courtyard of red-tinted bodies laying about in the sun, we could see the bustling of other famished guests relishing themselves at the buffet and we were keen to share the same sentiments. After fitting ourselves into some more tropical-climate-appropriate attire, we made our way toward the signature buffet-style sounds of clanking plates and silver spoons. Much to our surprise, the selection was far more extensive than we had anticipated. Regardless of how particular a person may consider themselves to be, there was an ample array of enticing edibles to satisfy any level of discriminating tastes.

So sometime later, maybe an hour (maybe two), seated there outside at our table with a view, I can truthfully declare that from that moment forward into the remainder of our stay, the parallel grins never resigned from our faces. While perhaps a statement like that may be somewhat skewed by the company we were in, there is no doubt that the backdrop of hospitable staff, meticulously cared for grounds, and a seemingly endless assortment of activities at our disposal, didn't somehow make it all the more easy to enjoy ourselves. We certainly didn't do all there was to do, nor see all there was to see, but we certainly took pleasure in a fair share of them. Though there were very few to begin with, any of the criticisms I had read about this place seemed rather trivial and isolated, and we would be digging to find something even worth mentioning now. There were no damp or musty odors in the room, nor were the lounge chairs on the beach ever in short supply. Only twice were we approached by anyone on the beach, but they were simply offering tours, photos, or parasailing expeditions, and when we kindly declined, they kindly left us alone. As well, after taking a leisurely stroll, certainly by comparison, this beach far exceeded the cleanliness of any other nearby resort that we had walked past. The food? As I remember others mentioning as well, it was more or less, predictable. Often losing track of time, we did not visit every restaurant, and opted instead a few times for early dinners at the buffet. Regardless, wherever we ate each night, any food that we stuffed into our bellies left us, well, content.

To play a devil's advocate for a second, sure, I suppose there is a faint chance that we just happened to land and stay on the perfect week. We never did see a drop of rain until the day we left and it was brief, though it did make it slightly less painful to say goodbye. Perhaps all the staff had just returned the week before from their own vacations and were fresh, recharged, and ready to return to work. Maybe somehow even the tides managed to wash all the seaweed and other vegetation clear from our sight for this week only, but seriously, I'd have to state that as being a rather unlikely tale. Instead I'd say the story is much more solid than that. The blueprints for an idyllic "all-inclusive" holiday are here, but it's up to you and those you are with as to whether or not you'll know how to read them.

Lastly, the only hint or suggestion that I had read about in previous reviews that really hung about in my mind were concerning guests tipping the staff. This will also serve as the only truly useful submission that I can pass along to any future vacationers of this place or any other comparable setting. That is, by no means is tipping here expected from anyone. Everyone understands that the monetary price you pay for your stay is heavy, but seriously, in a country where the average wage for a common worker is $86 to $172 USD a month, a few extra bucks spent on reciprocating the smiles they are providing you with is at the very least, kind, respectful, and positively appreciated. I went with $140 USD in single bills and tipped everyone from the shuttle driver to the concierge, and housekeeping to the servers and I swear, my only regret was having not brought more. So, for others before me, thank you, and to those arriving tomorrow, you're welcome. Pay it forward, literally, and enjoy yourself. Cheers!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We were surprised to find out 5 days prior to our departure that we had been bumped from our original hotel, Catalonia Royal Bavaro, to NH Royal Beach. This was our first time to the DR but have traveled throughout other islands in the Caribbean.

Flights: We flew Delta from Omaha connecting in Atlanta with no problems either way.

Airport: Massive confusion at the airport at our arrival due to the number of planes that have landed prior to ours. We didn't realize the first line you get in is to pay your $10 entry fee, then onto customs and luggage. Needless to say we now know what to expect when we return.

Transportation: We booked CocoKey Tours through Orbitz and they were very helpful during our arrival. We had one other couple on the van with us and it took about 15 minutes to get to the resort. Our only complaint was they forgot to pick us up for our departure flight. We had confirmed through email and through our meeting with the representative at the hotel, our departure information but somehow we were still missed. We found additional transportation and have submitted our receipt like we were told.

Rooms: Very clean, modernized rooms. Electric safe, mini fridge, and other amenities were all there. The patio had a nice jacuzzi tub but we didn't utilize it because we were located on the ground floor facing a busy "back road" for delivery trucks, staff, etc.

Pool/Lazy River: We loved the lazy river and were glad we brought our floaties. The main pool was very nice and never crowded.

Beach: Beautiful white sand and blue waters. The only time we had an issue finding a chair was the Saturday of our stay and we normally got to the beach around 11 sometimes later.

Food: We ate at all of the restaurants on the property but we never got a chance to eat at the Steak House located at NH Arena. The first time they had an opening was 9pm the night before we left. All the food was very good and they had a nice selection.

Drinks: Top shelf liquor was available and the staff was very generous with the drinks.

Staff: Every staff member we encountered were some of the most hard working, nicest people we've met on vacation. Everyone is always willing to help out or answer any questions.

Only Complaint: They were tearing up the main plaza outside the lobby. Between the jack hammering and constant noise it got to be a little much at times since our room was located next to the main building. The hotel did send out an apology letter stating they were only working for 10 days which was nice. By no means did this ruin our vacation and I sure it will look very nice once completed.

Overall: Would I go back to this resort? In a heartbeat. We met some very nice people from Canada and the US and can't wait to return.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We arrived on Friday, April the 8th with 2 other couples. Upon arrival, we were met with the sound of Jackhammers and pounding concrete. They had decided to change the outside Lobby entertainment area to include some fountains (I believe) It was terrible, everyone was complaining and trying to change their rooms. We didn't get the room we booked, but at least we were away from the noise and dust. This ruined our holiday, which was supposed to be a celebration for my 60th & my friends 65th Birthday's. I had requested rooms close together, which didn't happen and one couple changed rooms 3 times. They ended up with a 3rd floor garden view, which was lovely. Our room was ground floor, with the road for the employee's right behind us. No chance that I was going to use the outside jacuzzi and only a shower in the room. The traffic started 2 am. Food was pretty good, but I got sick after eating chicken that was bleeding (didn't notice until it was too late) Our maid service was terrible, with our room being cleaned just before we came back to change for dinner. The floors were still wet and slippery. We never received notification of the day's events until the very last day! I could go on and on, but no reason. I understand that the property has been sold and I'm sure that was one of the reasons for our issues. I would stay away from here for at least 6 months to let them get their act together.

For me, it was a terrible and dissapointing holiday, probably the worst in the 30 years we have been traveling south.

Room Tip: 3rd floor Center of the resort
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

This hotel is fairly new and has very modern and elegant decor. Overall everything was top notch other than a few things that made is less than perfect.

The GOOD:
Service is excellent. There are tons of people constantly working on something - cleaning, serving, maintaining etc. Everybody is very friendly. Lots of attention to detail - which was more than we expected. At restaurants we never had to wait for anything - our drinks were replenished immediately and without us asking. Everybody was dressed up well and very professional. It was truly a pleasure.

Cleanliness - hotel was super clean and very well maintained. Whether inside the room or outside in the hallway or outdoors. Looked like it was just washed all the time. Landscaping was top notch. Cleanest hotel I've seen.

Food was great. There are 6 or so a-la-cart restaurants excluding the buffet. Some are inside the resort but most are in the sister resort - NH Real Arena. But they are very close, so practically all in same resort. Food selection and quality was excellent. Service is great and very friendly and professional. Even the buffet was very nice - indoor and outdoor section right by the beach. That was our favorite eating area. The variety and quality of the food was amazing - I'm sure even will please the picky eater.

Entertainment - NH royal beach is the quieter section than the NH Royal Arena where most of the entertainment is (restaurants, disco, bowling etc..). However, most of the entertainment in Royal Arena is kind of cheesy and we preferred our quieter side - though it had its own very nice entertainment - a very cool live rock band every night!

Pool was very nice - lazy river style. Very clean and quiet. The section by the swim up bar was a bit more rowdy with the drunk crowd - but that's part of the fun.

THE BAD:
Most disappointing element was the ocean at the beach - it was FULL OF SEAWEED. Quite disgusting - swimming was like in a swamp. Very unpleasant - we only went in the water if we got too hot in the sun. Otherwise it was pretty disgusting. If you go para-gliding you will be able to see from top and notice that the seaweed covers huge amounts of areas of all the surrounding water by the beach. I understand that there may be little that can be done to the seaweed that's in the water , but there was tons of seaweed always washed up on the shore - in huge amounts. And nobody was cleaning that. That was major disappointment for us. (Another thing - which didn't really bother us - but should be noted - is that beach is quite noisy with activities. There are helicopters, tons of boats (speed and party boats) and other flying objects constantly in sky or water and very close to shore. So if you are looking for a quiet beach - this is not it. Though it is entertaining so didn't bother us.)

The beach/pool chair situation - there is always a major problem finding available beach or pool chair with a shade. People reserve it for what seems like the entire duration of their stay - as if their daddy owns the resort. People put a shoe on top of the chairs over night to "reserve" it. Yes overnight - because we came at 6am once and everything was already "reserved"! The workers should instead remove all the chairs and rack them up overnight. And in the morning it should be first come first serve.

Organizational issues - such as airport shuttle - they told us we can check certain billboard for our airport shuttle the next day, but there were no announcements posted for us and we had to chase people to find out what's going on....
On a few occasions they say one thing, but that doesn't mean anything... So just keep that in mind.

Other than these few things that made the hotel less than perfect, we enjoyed the food, the service, the cleanliness, the modern facilities and the entertainment. It really felt like a luxury resort.

Oh and this hotel is changing its name to "Secrets" very soon. So beware and if you see it being marketed as a "brand new " resort - its not really "brand new" - just new under this name... cheers!

Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Given the circumstances of how we arrived at the NH Royal Beach, we had a wonderful time.

Traveling with my BF, as well as my brother and sister-in-law, this resort was not even in the running when we were considering where to vacation n PC. We booked at the Catalonia Royal but one week before our trip we (and as it turns out, many others) were bumped to the NHRB. After relying on the reviews (and forum posts) of my fellow TA brothers and sisters, we began to look forward to our trip. We were not disappointed.

The resorts proximity to the airport meant we were there within 15 to 20 minutes after our arrival. After check in we headed to our rooms to drop off our things. Our rooms were located on the bottom floor facing the service road that staff use to travel to the restaurant. This was disappointing. It had the typical musty smell. I couldn't find the recommended damprid so brought an air sponge purchased at Wal-Mart, which seemed to do the trick. Being smokers who do not like to smoke in our room, we used the patio frequently. While staff passing by were always friendly, there was a constant parade so there really was no privacy. The buffet and restaurants are at the end of the block, so we also had constant cooking smells wafting up to our room. We made inquiries with Leonardo at reception about a room change and after the second night, we were moved to room 4250 in the opposite building block. Ahhh...this was more like it! On the second floor and now centrally located, we had a lovely view of the lazy river and alot more privacy. You really are a ninja, Leonardo!

The resort is picturesque; the lazy river that winds around the centre is bordered by gardens that are well manicured. The beach...I have not previously been to the DR so I was blown away by the soft white powder texture of the sand and the turquoise colour of the ocean. The ocean was cool and inviting after baking in the hot sun. Yes there is seaweed. It didn't bother me in the least. Step over it and move on people!

The lazy river really is fun. We didn't bring or buy anything to float on but would consider bringing something if we return to this resort. It was great to slowly wind around and chat with other guests as you go. While there is a swim up bar at the end closest to the beach it (wisely) has its own pool and is not connected, so the river stays lazy.

Food and drinks are plentiful and well prepared. The buffet had a different theme every night and we all found something enjoyable. We tried three of the al a cartes; El Mortero (on the royal side), the Tapenaki and Cinque Terre (on the arena side). The food was good at all. The tapenaki restaurant was alot of fun. We also paid extra for an all -u-can-eat grilled lobster dinner on the beach. The lobster was delicious, the service was great and the setting couldn't have been better~awesome experience! My sister-in-law can't eat lobster so they prepared a steak for her that was perfectly cooked, tender and juicy. The servers at all of the restaurants were great, and really took care of us. Yakline at El Mortero was a stand out and included us as family. Happy, Happy! Be prepared for smiles and jokes and occasionally, to get up and dance with the staff, when the mood strikes.

While we don't know Spanish, my Italian background came in handy as they are similar. Some of the staff only speak Spanish but there are many who speak multiple languages so you will get by. Learning some phrases (cinecero por favor!) really comes in handy and seemed to be appreciated. The google translator app didn't hurt either.

A tip for great pictures~when facing the beach the block of rooms on the right (closest to the beach) has an open area on the third floor (above the coveted suites) that overlooks the beach where you can take amazing pictures of the ocean and beach bar. Anyone can go up there, just take the stairwell at the end of the block, closest to the beach, and up three floors (you're welcome!)

We have two criticisms of this resort, the renovations of the entertainment area and the beach/pool-palapa/seating.

They started renovations on the entertainment area located at the lobby on the day of our arrival so there were several days of jack-hammering that echoed throughout the pool area all day long (but couldn’t be heard at the beach) and work has taken place well into the evening. It looks like they are building the foundation for a stage similar to the NHRA side. There is never a good time for improvements to take place at a resort, but you don’t expect it will happen during your stay. With the jack-hammering over, the sound levels are not that bad but there won’t be entertainment in this area for a while. The entertainment on the NHRA side was just a short walk away and was fun. There was a band that played by the lobby bar on our last night and they were great. Unfortunately, it was cut short by a downpour, but that was entertainment itself!

Getting up at an ungodly hour just to get a seat is not my idea of a vacation. My sister-in-law is an early riser (5:30-6:00) who was only able to secure a palapa on two occasions. On the second occasion one of the “reserved” palapas was hi-jacked by a gentleman who did not seem to understand, and pointed us in the direction of where to get towels…hmmm. Not being an early riser myself, I even got up one day but, at 6:30 was only able to secure chairs on the palm tree side. The pool side seating is seriously deficient and has plenty of room to be expanded. I watched a couple spread their towels out on the sand then pay staff to bring them chairs. Management needs to address this issue to ensure that all guests have access to comfortable seating and sufficient shade from the strong Caribbean sun.

While not allowed (by security) into the area where you sit, there are the aggressive salesmen who want you to go shopping down the way. It’s located in a dilapidated building to the right (facing the beach) of the resort. The salesmen are aggressive and can be intimidating initially but, eventually bartering for their goods was fun! Don’t be afraid to talk them down to a quarter of their price. It is a game~they appreciate a good barter and will shake your hand when you secure a good price. They are good people who are just trying to make a living.

We were able to go on PC Mike’s tour and that made our vacation special (review to come). We did not partake of any other excursion except to take the shuttle over to the shopping mall. The shuttle does not run frequently so we paid for a taxi on return ($8.00 for a 2 minute ride – no bartering).

Did we have a good time? Absolutely! We certainly weren’t about to let minor annoyances get in the way of a much-needed vacation. Will you have a good time? Definitely, just bring the right attitude (and a whole bunch of sunscreen!) Will we go back? Overall, the resort is great. This is my first trip to DR so I would certainly consider other options that would more closely match my needs before returning here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Secrets Royal Beach? Share your experiences!