This hotel is fairly new and has very modern and elegant decor. Overall everything was top notch other than a few things that made is less than perfect.
Service is excellent. There are tons of people constantly working on something - cleaning, serving, maintaining etc. Everybody is very friendly. Lots of attention to detail - which was more than we expected. At restaurants we never had to wait for anything - our drinks were replenished immediately and without us asking. Everybody was dressed up well and very professional. It was truly a pleasure.
Cleanliness - hotel was super clean and very well maintained. Whether inside the room or outside in the hallway or outdoors. Looked like it was just washed all the time. Landscaping was top notch. Cleanest hotel I've seen.
Food was great. There are 6 or so a-la-cart restaurants excluding the buffet. Some are inside the resort but most are in the sister resort - NH Real Arena. But they are very close, so practically all in same resort. Food selection and quality was excellent. Service is great and very friendly and professional. Even the buffet was very nice - indoor and outdoor section right by the beach. That was our favorite eating area. The variety and quality of the food was amazing - I'm sure even will please the picky eater.
Entertainment - NH royal beach is the quieter section than the NH Royal Arena where most of the entertainment is (restaurants, disco, bowling etc..). However, most of the entertainment in Royal Arena is kind of cheesy and we preferred our quieter side - though it had its own very nice entertainment - a very cool live rock band every night!
Pool was very nice - lazy river style. Very clean and quiet. The section by the swim up bar was a bit more rowdy with the drunk crowd - but that's part of the fun.
Most disappointing element was the ocean at the beach - it was FULL OF SEAWEED. Quite disgusting - swimming was like in a swamp. Very unpleasant - we only went in the water if we got too hot in the sun. Otherwise it was pretty disgusting. If you go para-gliding you will be able to see from top and notice that the seaweed covers huge amounts of areas of all the surrounding water by the beach. I understand that there may be little that can be done to the seaweed that's in the water , but there was tons of seaweed always washed up on the shore - in huge amounts. And nobody was cleaning that. That was major disappointment for us. (Another thing - which didn't really bother us - but should be noted - is that beach is quite noisy with activities. There are helicopters, tons of boats (speed and party boats) and other flying objects constantly in sky or water and very close to shore. So if you are looking for a quiet beach - this is not it. Though it is entertaining so didn't bother us.)
The beach/pool chair situation - there is always a major problem finding available beach or pool chair with a shade. People reserve it for what seems like the entire duration of their stay - as if their daddy owns the resort. People put a shoe on top of the chairs over night to "reserve" it. Yes overnight - because we came at 6am once and everything was already "reserved"! The workers should instead remove all the chairs and rack them up overnight. And in the morning it should be first come first serve.
Organizational issues - such as airport shuttle - they told us we can check certain billboard for our airport shuttle the next day, but there were no announcements posted for us and we had to chase people to find out what's going on....
On a few occasions they say one thing, but that doesn't mean anything... So just keep that in mind.
Other than these few things that made the hotel less than perfect, we enjoyed the food, the service, the cleanliness, the modern facilities and the entertainment. It really felt like a luxury resort.
Oh and this hotel is changing its name to "Secrets" very soon. So beware and if you see it being marketed as a "brand new " resort - its not really "brand new" - just new under this name... cheers!
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Royal Beach Hotel Punta Cana
- Secrets Royal Beach Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated on the picturesque palm-studded, sugar white Playa Bavaro beach on the eastern coastline of the Dominican Republic, Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana offers adults all the privileges of Unlimited-Luxury®. Guests will immediately be embraced within an extraordinary environment where luxury illuminates every detail and our high level of personal service is unmatched. To ensure your romantic escape is everything you've imagined, every detail of your stay will be flawlessly provided and superbly attended to. From the fine quality linens to the daily refreshed mini bar and the unlimited premium brand beverages to the pool and beach wait service. You'll be immersed within a world of stunning architectural design coupled with resplendent views of the lush gardens, crystal-clear Caribbean Sea and dazzling swimming pools. This tranquil, romantic haven in Playa Bavaro is like nothing else you've ever experienced before. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Venere, Tingo, Orbitz, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Secrets Royal Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.