“Beautiful beach - accomodations need work” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Beautiful beach - accomodations need work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The beach area at this property was absoluely gorgeous. Water and sand is breathtaking. I got out to the beach chairs to reserve our seats by about 7am to make sure we got a good seat. They say this isn't allowed, but it wasn't enforced. Pools were very nice. However, the water was VERY warm - probably about 90 degrees - not too refreshing when you're hot and want to cool off. The grounds were beautiful - it seems that a lot of work is put is to maintaining the grounds - lush and tropical.

Service was also good. Lots of English-speaking employees who were very helpful and willing to accomodate. They all seemed to be very hard workers and took a lot of pride in their jobs.

In my opinion, the rooms need serious updating. The bedding seemed to be about 20 years old. Weird smell in both of the rooms (we had two adjoining rooms). Furniture was also very old. Robes were provided in the rooms - they were old and scratchy - could not use. The hallways of the building we stayed in (#93) were very worn - old, dirty carpet - saw several cockroaches. Yes, you are in the tropics, so I did expect some of this, but still not pleasant.

Food was below average. Very similar if not the exact same offerings from day to day - especially for breakfast and lunch. The ala carte dining options were okay - nothing to write home about. I didn't gain a single pound during our seven day vacation - so I shouldn't complain...but still.

Gym was very lacking. Had to take a shuttle to another hotel complex to get to the gym. There were two treadmills and a couple of bikes and weights. No more than about 10 people can be in the gym at one time. This was very disappointing.

Make sure to manage your expectations with this type of resort. If you are looking for high-end luxury - especially in your rooms/accomodations, this is probably not a god choice for you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

3,030 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We feel that we found our second home! It cannot get any better at this resort! We love it! Stayed in June 2014 for 10days and could have stayed for a full month. From rooms, food, beaches and exceptional people working to make our stay memorable, it was just fantastic. For families, I recommend you stay at Esmeralda. My daughter (9yrs old) loves it as well. It is a family oriented resort and our favorite waiters remembered us, that kind of shocked us. Thank you to all the personnel for making our stay once again memorable!! We will be back soon!! :)

Room Tip: any building you choose, the beach is walking distance!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear client,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience highlighting our rooms, food, beach and the exceptional people that work here, also for consider us as your second home. Please rest assured that your opinion made us feel so proud and I wish to have more clients like you!!

We are waiting for you and provide another excellent stay in our premises!!!!

Best regards,

Vianca Graciano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I travelled here and we thought it was a very clean, and classy Resort. The Esmeralda is attached to the Grand Bahia Principe Resort. It is it's own section and much smaller than the Grand Bahia principe Punta Cana/Bavaro. Very intimate more for couples even though there were children as well. If you are looking for couples only then the Ambar is for you. Located on the same resort but on the opposite side. (No kids allowed there ) food was good and we really enjoyed the a la carte restaurant Bella Italia. We had amazing anti pastos and a mean steak with fois gras. If you know good food, you will know what that is. The swimming pools are great with a swim up bar in the main one and two more private pools off to the side for a quieter time. The beach is AmAzzing!! Bavaro Beach is one of the best and we are frequent travellers who have seen many beaches. Clean clear water, powder white sand. The Esmeralda is part of the Luxury Bahia Principe chain and up there in quality and quantity of needs and service. We definitely recommend this resort to anyone and would go back. - Lexx & Kevin O.

Stayed June 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Just got back from a 2 weeks stay at luxury bahia and all i can say is that i highly recommend this resort!!!! Previously i've stayed at Riu Palaces, Princess Resorts, Grand Palladiums, Barcelo Premium Punta Cana, H10 resorts, Ocean Blue Resorts, Now Resorts, Iberostars, and i will not go back to any of those after visiting Luxury Bahia Esmeralda, this resort blows all the other ones away with their SUPERIOR customer service!!!! Osvaldy and Orlando at Los Geranios these guys should get an award for outstanding customer service. Ladies and gentlemen you will be pampered and well taken care of at this resort. I can only find one thing to complain about and that is the kids club, the one at Esmeralda is just a tent with toys, it basically sucks. So if you have kids and plan on leaving them there, i recommend you leave them at the Punta Cana Bahia kids club.
Food was good, tuesday night was lobster night. We did 3 a la carte reservations during a 2 week stay, Bella Italia, Asian Takara and one of the Japanese restaurants in the Punta Cana Bahia, we didn't do anymore reservations because the food at the buffet was very good, every night there was something different. There are 2 buffet restaurants, one is by the main pool right next to the lobby and the 2nd one Los Geranios is by the 2nd pool next to the spa.
Resort grounds are gorgeous, it takes an army of people to keep them that way and Esmeralda does an amazing job. Esmeralda is not a huge resort. Restaurants, pool, lobby and the beach are very close. So for someone that does not like those gigantic distances this place is for you. The other 3 bahias: Punta Cana, Bavaro and Ambar are huge. Service at punta cana and bavaro is not as good as it is at Esmeralda, but then you get what you pay for.
Rooms were super clean, you do get your very own personal butler which makes things alot easier. Jenny was ours, she brought levender and chamomile scented pillows for the kids every night. She did a great job with any request we had. I don't like this resort, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. We have made many friends here. We met a couple from France who come to this resort in January for 2 weeks and in June for another 2 weeks and this was their 22nd time. If someone comes back to the same resort 22 times then all i can say is that this place rocks. You will not be disapointed, enjoy your stay. This is 5 stars all the way. My 6 year old daughter loved it too.

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I have been to the Ambar side, 3 times in the last year but got a much better deal here.
Normally, the Esmeralda is more expensive and I did prefer the Ambar but since I visited this
property and was familiar with the layout, I chose it.
Staying here is like living in a tropical garden. The grounds people do an immaculate job!!
I also have to say the beach groomers do a fantastic job keeping the beach beautiful.
I stayed in room 92211. It was perfect! Normally, we all know that the late night partiers are loud and slamming doors, and generally show no respect to other guests... However, I really lucked out. All guests on my floor were very respectful and that made for a very nice sleep. Going normally to Adults only, ie Ambar, I did have concerns with Children being noisy and out of control; Not here. Again may have been lucky but they were so behaved and the parents very attentive.
I must have to mention the management. They were always present and walking around. This is a good sign of any hotel! They are proud of their product and they are out there and not hiding in the back room. I was very impressed about that!! I don't normally come out and say this but, here it goes; The Esmeralda is the best place I ever stayed in Punta Cana.. Yes, better than the Ambar. This place is a gem. It is also wheel chair accessible, even at the beach. You will not be disappointed staying here...I will see you again in September.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Caper,

Please allow us to reassure that we are proud to know that you consider us as your favorite Resort and the best place you have stayed in Punta Cana. As a repeater client your opinion made us feel proud of ourselves and the service we provide and also help us to maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Thank you very much for recommend us and I will be waiting for you in September.

Thanks for your loyalty and trust in our chain!!!!

Vianca Graciano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We arrived back from The Esmeralda about a month ago.
As a note we have also stayed at the Paradisus in Punta Cana as well.
First off the good.
1. The Beach is excellent.
2. Pools are also very good.
3. Breakfast was tasty and there is everything you could want.
4. The service by some extraordinary people.
(Cannot say enough great things about Charlie at the Front Desk. Superb problem solver and always got things done. Without him the front desk at check in would be a complete distaster)
(Also we really enjoyed Katy at the buffet lots of energy and very entertaining for the kids.)
(Lastly we also had the opportunity to speak to Obeliah who I believe is the Food and Beverage Manager. Her customer service was excellent, she was charming, helpful, and always looking for our feedback.)

The Bad.
Nothing really terrible. Though I will say that the quality of food is not up to par with other 5-Star properties we have stayed at in Mexico. Service seemed to be either very good or dreadful. Some real superstar people here and also some who seemed lost or apathetic.
Food is kind of like eating at a middle of the road family restaurant all week. Not overly tasty but I didn't get sick either. Had a Tuna dinner at I think it was the Italian restaurant and although the Tuna was cooked correctly it perhaps was the worst piece of Tuna I have ever had.

In conclusion the weather was fantastic. Beach was world class. The resort was good but not great. Probably won't go back but that has more to do with trying something new.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed a great Dominican vacation.

We are looking forwarded to seeing you in a year or two to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities

Regards from this tropical paradise!

Aynes de la Cruz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Amazing, Awesome, Outstanding, Exquisite, Fabulous. I think you understand what I am trying to say. We had everything but the red carpet, but even that was not needed because the Butler Service was "off the hook". We had a wonderful experience and plan to return very soon. We were treated like royalty.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Brian,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Resort for your first time coming to the Dominican Republic. It is a great compliment to read that your stay for you anniversary was more than amazing in a very safe and friendly environment. Posts such as yours motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Thank you for recommending us and it will be a pleasure to cater you once again!

Always at your disposal,

Aynes de la Cruz
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!