“Great Resort and Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #13 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“Great Resort and Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Two employees in particular made our stay even more enjoyable: Nicanor, who greeted us when we arrived, checked whether our room was ready, and ensured we were attended to throughout our stay, and Manolo, who was an excellent, respectful and friendly bartender.

The beach is gorgeous, the resort is extremely clean, and all the amenities made the vacation even more luxurious and relaxing than we had expected. We'd go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Anbaylin,

Posts such as yours give us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers. Nicanor and Manolo, will be delighted with your recognition.

Thank you for your great comment and looking forward to seeing you soon in Punta
Cana!

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (989)
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here and found it to be good for the price. The grounds were very clean and you could tell they spent time making sure it was kept that way. The same goes for the rooms themselves as we found them to be very clean.

I would give a warning to those who are considering getting married here. The gazebo on the beach is surrounded by beach chairs with only a little bit of space and a small fence to separate resort guests and wedding party. We watched part of one wedding and resort guests kept getting in the way of the proceedings (walking between the photographer and the wedding party, leaning over the rope, using flash photography etc)

The beach was very nice and we did not run into any problems with bugs. Everything other people have said about the chairs is true. We got to the beach at 8:30am and the almost all of the first 3 rows were claimed. We were there for a little over 2.5 hours and not a single chair claimant around us showed up to use them. By 11:30 it was almost impossible to find a chair due to all of the sunbathing towels.It really is something the hotel needs to address.

Overall the food was good although the buffets could be very hit and miss. It was not uncommon to get a piece of meat that was dried out or chewy and room temperature. Still the selection was very good - just grab a fresh item if you have the opportunity. We did find the restaurants that required reservations to be, generally, very good. Service was typically excellent with wine or water glasses rarely getting more than half empty. There was some inconsistency with this too though as one morning we asked 3 times for water and still had not gotten any by the time we finished (The juice at the buffet sufficed)

The same inconsistency was found when asking staff members a question. You could ask 5 people the same question and get 5 completely different answers. I will also echo the advice of some others and say that knowing some Spanish is very helpful. This was not an issue for us but my wife helped as an interpreter more than once

I will note a couple of other issues: Our maid completely ignored our Do Not Disturb sign when she saw us leave the room. We were just going down the hall for 5 minutes to visit another room quickly before going back to shower and had to ask her to leave the room. If a Do Not Disturb sign is placed on the handle it should honored.

Also - on two occasions we overheard some very rude comments made by some staff members. Perhaps they are not used to guests speaking Spanish but we heard one 'gentleman' make an assumption that a guest's mother was not married to his father. In another instance we overheard two other staff members make a vulgar observation about a guest in a bathing suit.

Overall the experience was good and the interactions with staff members were usually positive. That said the hotel had some inconsistency and customer service issues that pushed it close to a 3 rating.

I would stay here again but the issues encountered would make me consider staying somewhere else

Dear Matt,

I am sorry for the difficulties and disadvantages that you mentioned that were not to your liking in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. We respect all opinions expressed by our guests, which help us to improve every day more.

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations. I really hope to see you soon in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Always at your disposal,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hubby and I went this January to escape the polar vortex. We stayed at the Esmeralda which is the segment a few steps from the beach. The resort was huge and beautiful. The buffets were very impressive. However, we were the mosquito buffet on our first night too. We bought insect repellant at the resort store for $9 (1oz). Our room safe was broken and it took a while for the front desk guy to believe us and send a repair man. He initially brushed it off by saying we do not read instructions that's why it doesn't work and left the desk. Well, it was broken after we found someone who believed us and it was replaced promptly.
I also met a few employees at the resort- at the restaurants and at the pool side who treated me very differently when I was with my older Caucasian husband and when I was alone. They treat me differently because I am Asian. I speak many languages, one of which is Spanish. I address them in English, the waiter tapped another guy and said that I was a Chinese factory worker that was saved by a white guy that's why I got to the resort. I let that slide and never tipped them when I left the resort. The others that treated me well I tipped generously- special mention to Victor, our amazing personal butler. I bet they will flip over if I had told them my husband does not work because I earn 8 figures in US dollars and that's the reason why we can afford a luxury vacation at the last minute.

Dear Margot,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. I regret the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

Please let me inform you that our resort is located in the tropics and the presence of mosquitoes is inevitable despite our daily fumigation program.

On the other hand, let me explain we are in a multicultural environment both for what concerns our staff and customers. We serve and assist visitors from all over the World and do not admit making any difference among them.

Best regards,

canton ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

After reading many reviews on Trip Advisor, we are so happy that we chose the Bahia Principe Esmeralda!!!! What a beautiful, very clean resort with lovely landscaping. About 30 minutes from the airport to the Punta Cana Resort, and then a short golf cart ride to the Esmeralda lobby. Check in was quick and friendly. We had emailed the resort 1 week prior to request a room in building 90, 2nd or 3rd floor and pool facing view, which was exactly what we received. The room was very nice with a jacuzzi tub and great, large shower with rain shower and hand held shower heads. Our maid, Marcela, was the best we have ever had anywhere. Room was kept spotless, mini bar restocked every day, and she was very thoughtful and thorough!! Our balcony faced poolside and was relaxing to enjoy the morning sun. We also had a great butler, Viktor. This part of the resort had 2 pools, 1 with a swim up bar, and a pool that had 3 jacuzzi's. The beach was absolutely gorgeous with clear blue water. We walked the beach in both directions every day, it is an endless walkable beach. Every morning, workers raked the beach so it was very clean!! There were rows and rows of papalas and also many palm trees. I did get up early every morning(6:30 to 7:00) to save chairs, never a problem at the beach, but the pool did fill up. The food was above average for buffet style, we ate at 6 different buffets. We also ate at Mikada (our favorite) and Bella Italia (great chicken dish stuffed with cheese and spinach). The snack buffet closest to the beach was also a great lunch place in your swimming suit. The coffee was by far the best I have ever had. I was also excited to see Pepsi products. All water and ice cubes in the resort are filtered, so no worries there. We did however use bottled water to brush our teeth and kept our mouths shut while showering. The shuttle system was very convenient to travel around the other 3 resorts, to the shopping area, small casino and entertainment pavilion. We visited every lobby on a different night to have a drink and relax to various music. The Esmeralda and the Ambar (adults only) are closest to the beach, while the Punta Cana and Bavaro are in between these resorts, narrower and go back from the beach. Could be a 15 minute walk to the beach from some rooms, but the shuttle is available. Googlemaps is a good tool to explore the resort. We also checked out bicycles for an hour and rode around the grounds. There are many planned activities throughout the day, bingo, yoga, pool games etc, so you can keep busy or just be beach bums :) All staff was friendly and pleasant. We speak English, so yes there was some language barrier, but the few spanish words we knew where enough to get us by, and learned a few more from some of the staff.

We definitely recommend this resort and hope to return back in the future!!!!!

Mucho gracias to the staff at Esmerelda :)

Dear RB,

We would like to thank you for recommending us and for sharing your great experience highlighting our friendly and helpful staff. We really appreciate your comments.

I invite you to come again to enjoy more days in this paradise!!

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Medford Lakes, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

After having a lousy experience at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana, I met my finance at the Bahia Principe Esmeralda. What a beautiful property. Very clean. Beautiful large rooms. The lobby was beautiful. The pools and beach were beautiful. The service was excellent. The Dominicans are a warm and welcoming people. The only negative is that if you are a "foody", your not going to enjoy your experience. The breakfasts are great. Lunch was bad buffet. Dinner ranged depending upon the restaurant you were able to get a reservation. The restaurants were too brightly lit so lacked ambiance. While we wouldn't return, we had a great time. Just wish the food was better.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have access to the pools, restaurants and beach. You can't go wrong in any...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Nancy,

I would like to thank you for considering us as a beautiful hotel with the natural warm that characterized the Dominican People.

Our customer´s comments are very important for us for that reason I apologize for not being able to cover your expectations in the food concept.

We are always at your disposal,

Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Mixed reviews with the luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. We chose the resort based on trip advisor comments. We were hoping for great food and great service. This resort was #9 and the Riu Palace was #29 and you can’t compare the two! It was an okay resort. I would book it again if I got a spectacular deal. However I wish I chose the Rui.

The weather and beach were terrific. We were disappointed with the food and service. The food at all the buffets are all the same and they are mediocore. (For those of you that are health conscious they have a few options – everything is loaded with salt and oil) We walked through the Riu and they had a lot more choices – and plentiful!
We were not told we needed to book all of the ala cartes in advance so we ended up having to settle forgetting them all at 9pm. Carlos booked them for me (I would say helped book them but that is a stretch – he is one rude miserable man) I watched him another day get angry with other customers too. The service staff run around like in circles and forget what you asked them to do. (but most are friendly) We did go to a couple of the restaurants early and they did let us in. We booked dinner at the Italian restaurant – and we had to pay extra for the steak, filet mignon (which was excellent). I don’t understand when you are staying at a luxury hotel why there is an additional charge.
Our room was lovely, the pools are lovely and the grounds are immaculate. We loved sitting on our porch before dinner. If you have any mobility issues make sure you ask for a ground floor room and have it close to a pool (or beach if you prefer)
If you are staying at the Esmeralda and prefer a quiet pool there is a small one there however we found the pool over at Ambar and preferred it to any of the others.
Make sure you go to see the acrobat show at the theatre it was fabulous!! Nice to have a live band in the Ambar one evening so we could dance under the stars – we could never stay up late enough to get to the disco!!
**bring bug spray - my husband had long pants and he was fine but I was bit in the evening (think they were mosquitos)
Ambioux and Jose were the best service employees! Both went over and above to make special arrangements for our rooms and transportation.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues make sure you let them know and ask for a ground level room close to the...
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for mentioning the best service employees you have had with Ambiorix and Jose, who will be proud with your good comment.

We feel sorry to hear that our food and service has not reached your expectations. I would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the difficulties you experienced.

We really hope to consider coming back to one of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Our first visit with my two sons was great. That was February 2012. We decided to return on our own in February 2013, and the experience was not as good. The customer service was very much lacking. Our request for room was not granted, that is understandable as they don't guarantee requests.(our request was poolside view). When we requested a different room they kept wasting our time by telling us to come back in an hour or two....like they were going to give us one. But the kicker was when we were told they didn't have one and right in front of us they told another guest,who just arrived,to hold on he would get them a better room. I said we had been requesting another room for 3 days and you just told us there was nothing, yet you tell this guest you have a better room for them. The guest then replied, well we were here last year to which I replied so were we. Very poor customer service! Anyone who has been there knows that people come and go everyday, there are 6 buildings with poolside rooms, I am sure it wasn't too difficult to grant. Very simple request results in negative review on customer service.
Although the customer service was lacking for the room request, the resort was very nice, food excellent and and beautiful grounds...just too bad they couldn't meet our expectations.

S and T

• Stayed March 2013
Dear S and T,

Thank you very much for highlighting the good aspects you mentioned.

I would like to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced and that we were not able to meet your expectations during your second visit.

In the same way, we think it is important to clarify that room’s assignment, like the same changes are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

Best Regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!