“Nice resort, but had higher expectations. Mediocre Food, and terrible reception service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I recently came back from Bahia Principe Esmeralda in DR. This wasn't my first DR visit, but I certainly had higher expectations after many reviews and pictures. I booked my trip with cheapcaribbean, and on arrival there was some confusion with transfer to the hotel (can't blame this on Esmeralda). BTW, DR collects $10 per person at the airport, therefore bring cash. After waiting for about 30 min, we were on our way to the quick getaway. Hotel is located about 30 minutes from the airport. There were frequent road works and detours, so the hotel might even be closer than 30 min.

HOTEL
One must understand that Esmeralda is a part of a cluster of hotels - Gran Bahia, one of the nicest, along with Amber. The property is huge! If you stay at Esmeralda, everything is a walking distance: pools, buffets, beach, however staying at some other resorts like Punta Cana, one might have to ride one of those carts to the beach. Our bus dropped us of at Punta Cana resort, and then we had to take a shuttle to Esmeralda. At the front desk, we were given a welcome drink, along with a travel package and a key. No explanation of where anything is, simply were told – everything is in the package, therefore my first impression was slightly disappointing. Didn’t seem welcomed, very impersonal. Then we had to take our own luggage to the room, because I didn’t want to wait for it to be delivered. Btw, it took us quite some time to find where we had to go, because as I mentioned earlier, no one even pointed out where our building was, luckily some workers on the property were very helpful, and not only showed us were to go but also assisted us with the bags. I’m not going to describe the resort, as pictures can tell the story itself. If you want to be close to the beach, lobby – do not stay at building 97.

ROOM
Very spacious, clean. A welcoming gift which included bottled rum and 2 t-shirts – very nice touch. Shortly after, someone arrived with neatly packaged fruit basket. In the closet we found 2 pairs of slippers and 2 robes. Otherwise, everything seems standard. Bathroom had a Jacuzzi, which we never used. Shower stall, with a glass door that would not close, therefore towel had to be placed on the floor to absorb water. 2 sinks. Plenty of little bottles with shampoo/conditioner, shower gel, bath sponge, etc. To use the light in the room, the key must be inserted in the controller box by the door, therefore make sure to ask for 2 keys.

FOOD
One of the most important things for me! Disappointing. It wasn’t bad or limited selection, don’t get me wrong, I just expected better quality. It was mediocre. I never wanted to go back for seconds. Out resort had 2 buffet, but I think they serve the same food, one just smaller. With Esmeralda wrist bands we could dine at any buffet, except Amber.
The food presentation was impressive, especially for dessert and appetizers, but it just didn’t taste amazing. Many options to choose from, including soups (they always had gazpacho among other options), kids section, vegetarian, pasta, meats, fish, salads and make your own salad section, and melted chocolate tower. One of my expectations was shrimp and possibly a lobster night. In the 5 day that I was there, seafood (besides fish) never made it to the buffet. I also made sure to check out the buffet, even if we had reservation to the alacarte restaurant (I did mention food is very important to me). Plenty of fruit – including cantaloupe, melon, watermelon, papaya, passion fruit. I loved the papaya, present almost during every meal. Occasional mango

2 restaurants on the property – Italian and Asian. We were able to get a reservation at the Italian restaurant. The buffet bar is similar to the usual buffet, but the entrees were actually delicious. We ordered steak, stuffed chicken, and even asked to split a third entrée (lobster pasta) – all 3 were delicious.

A la carte restaurants
Italian – see above
Le gourmet – French – located at Bavaro or Punta Cana resort – therefore you’d have to take a cart, make sure to ask where you have to wait for that cart, as pick up is not at the lobby (Note for the management) – food was good there as well – We had lamb, steak, and fish – never asked for a third entrée, but very nice gesture  There was no buffet at this restaurant, as everything was a la carte
Mediterranean – la pescatoire? – I wanted to go to the main Mediterranean restaurant, but unfortunately it wasn’t available during out short stay. This was my least favorite. Lobster dish was decent. Steak was good. Seeing a cockroach crawling near out table, which was situated near the buffet section kind of killed my appetite. When the attention was brought to the waiter, he simply walked away. Another waiter acted like it was no big deal, and simply kicked it off the wall. God knows where that bug went.

DRINKS
Also disappointing. My favorite was passion fruit margarita, which was served few times in the main lobby, near the buffet restaurant. Most of the cocktails I’ve tried were too sweet, too much syrup used. Even mojito didn’t taste good, because they don’t use real juice, they use frozen lemonade. I’m not a big drinker, but I’ve noticed that at Esmeralda you can get drinks like shots of tequila, baileys, kahlua, frangelico, while at Punta Cana resort those drinks are at the extra cost.
The resort also had a coffee machine with multiple choices such American, latte, cappuccino, mocha, etc
INTERNET
It’s free at Esmeralda, and only works at the lobby. Most of the time, it would take me 10 minutes to log in, especially in the evening. When asked for help (Carlos at the front desk), he just said, try again later. Not very helpful. At Punta Cana resort – internet is only 60 minutes per day.

BEACH
Amazing. Plenty of chairs and huts available. I’d get to the beach by 10 am, and there are still few huts available, to be close to the water, one must wake up before the break of dawn. People still reserved seats, but it’s hard not to. You’re not going to pick up your belongings if you are walking away for 30 minutes to grab a quick lunch. It’s quite possible that some reserved the seats early morning, and probably went back to sleep. Lol By the pool, lounge chairs are always available. Beach itself was very clean, water was clear too, for the most part, although after rain, it’s expected to have some debris. No seaweed in the water, therefore no water shoes needed.
Non motorized sport I think is included. Parasailing is $100 for 2 (rip off). They also have a banana boat, but I never asked for the price.
Not sure if food is allowed at the beach, as I’ve never seen people bring plates from the nearby café. I guess its close enough to eat and come back.

Entertainment at night
Nothing at Esmeralda. 2 theaters located at Punta Cana resort, so you must take a shuttle there. Tropicana Theater features musical shows, presentations at 915, followed by audience based shows at the other theater, close to casino at 1030, which features the usual Miss Bahia, Best Couples, etc – pretty entertaining, at least we got lucky with some funny drunk contestants.

SERVICE
Reception service is the worst! No assistance on arrival, but not a big deal. Departure was the worst. Check out is at 12. After reading few post, I learned that it’s possible to extend the check out to 1 pm at no cost. The workers will give you hard time, but we were still able to extend it. Maria, Laura and Carlos were useless. Very rude. Not helpful. Maria didn’t even speak English. No help with finding out the pickup time to the airport. Usually, the resort would post a table which would show the pickup time based on the departure flight. Nothing like that existed at Esmeralda. All 3 workers, mentioned above, simply told me to go to Punta Cana resort to figure it out. They wouldn’t even offer to call the desk there. After I suggested it, they did manage to call for us, unfortunately nobody pick up on the other side. So I had to rush to another resort, which in total wasted 40 minutes, only to realize there is no one at the desk at Punta Cana, and to hear that I had to go to Bavaro resort to speak to someone there. How is that convenient? I don’t even know where that resort is. No map provided. No shuttle service. Not even help with directions. Eventually, we were able to figure out how to get in touch with a representative at Bavaro to figure out the time. This experience really left a sour taste in my mouth, not to mention the stress I had to encounter and loss of time at the beach.
Management – please have a talk with Carlos. He could benefit from a hospitality class, as he has no manners. His attitude is not appreciated.
I forgot the name of one of the workers, I think he’s name was Hector, he wears a beige uniform, with a hat, and helps with luggage and shuttle services. He was very helpful, sincere and genuinely nice.

SALES PRESENTATION
BEWARE – this resort offers timeshare like presentation. Do not waste your time, unless you’re planning to invest in the vacation package. It might be worth it to some. We got tricked into attending. David, the young fellow worked at Esmeralda, mentioned that he has a presentation that we have to attend. Never mentioned it’s a promotional sale. Simply said that we need to show up, and we will get gift (choices included beach bag with hats, towel and 2 t-shirt, coffee and liquor package, and 1 week of free internet). Someone, neither of us realized what we got sucked into until we arrived at the presentation center. We should’ve just asked to be taken back to our resort, but we didn’t want to be rude. Still should’ve left, as the presentation didn’t take 60 min as promised (more like 1.5 hrs) and the gift wasn’t even worth it. Also sorry we wasted Olga (the presentation lady) time, she seemed very nice and sweet, and did a great job explaining everything. David also told us to lie during the presentation, so he could get some points. Now I wish I didn’t. I genuinely wanted to help the guy out (he told us a sad story about working hard, and collecting enough points can get him a day off), but if I wish he’d told us it was a sales promotion. Wasted 2 hours, that could’ve been spent at the beach.
Overall, I’d probably never stay at Esmeralda again. The resort itself is very nice, it’s the service at the reception that ruined my experience. I probably would check out other Bahia resorts. If you booked a trip to Esmeralda, don’t let anything negative in my review ruin your vacation. Just avoid the reception service, and you’ll have a great time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel.

Regarding your comments about our staff, allow us inform you that we constantly monitor our employees through our Human Resources Department. Your point of view has quite surprised us since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about their friendliness and attentiveness.

We deeply apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort so that the corresponding attention is give to the matter.

Vianca Graciano
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This resort has 7 hotels in one. It is a small village itself. They have many restaurants, 2 gyms, many pools, shops... They were cleaning all day long. Staffs are friendly and helpful. The variety and selection of food was amazing. You can start with healthy juice in the morning, nice buffet-style lunch and fancy dinner. Don't forget snack and tea time with Cappuccino.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad you find worth to highlight our authentically friendly and helpful staff, amazing cleanliness, and the variety of selection of food.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Kind greetings,

Vianca Graciano
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were fortunate to be able to travel to the Dominican Republic and stay at the Bahia Principe Esmeralda from Nov 8 to 15. The resort was quaint, decorated with almost plantation style buildings and wrought iron railings. The rooms themselves were very clean but some of the construction workmanship could have been better. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and maid service excellent. The garden grounds were wonderfully maintained and gave a cozy feeling to the resort. The Esmeralda is actually a part of a much larger resort but is located right next to the beach in a smaller grouping of buildings and several pools. While staying at the Esmeralda, you are given access to the amenities of the entire Bahia compound. The pools were sparkling clean and relatively quiet as compared to it's 'sister' pool just a short walk away. Based on our long walks, many of the other pools were much busier with 'animation' teams rockin' the place with games and dancing! The white powder beach was just beautiful, carefully cleaned and maintained each night. The water was warm and a lovely azure blue, perfect to cool off in and perfect to walk in with bare feet! The hotel offered yoga and stretching classes on the but they were hosted by uncertified people and very very low key. We were able to enjoy a massage at one of the Bahia Spas and it was awesome with a friendly, professional staff. The food at the restaurants was excellent with lots of variety of vegetables, fruit, cheese, meats, breads and dessert. The a la cart restaurants were also very good. If you stay at the Esmeralda, you have access to these restaurants each night of your stay if you wish. We booked our a la cart restaurants for the week the first morning we were there and were not disappointed. We especially enjoyed the Don Pablo Gourmet. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Esmeralda and plan to travel back to the DR in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to know that you liked our beautiful Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection and to hear that you enjoyed a wonderful getaway.

We really appreciate your review as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.We would be enchanted to have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana

Barnoldswick, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Myself and wife went to Esmerelda on the 14th Oct for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. It was HOT and very humid but wouldnt put us off going back at the same time of year.
What can i say about this hotel, amazing. The staff,The grounds, The resturants are brilliant.
The pools were lovely with the added pool bars.
The beach is literally 1 mins walk from the pool.
We've decided to go back in 2015 and already on the countdown.
The al la carte resturants were all good,but the Don Peblo was the best.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

For all our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection team is an honor to read that you enjoyed a perfect honeymoon.Posts such as yours motivate us to continue striving towards excellence. For all is wonderful to read that we exceeded your expectations.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and celebrate with you your first anniversary.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Dominican Republic.

Greetings,

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My daughter, and I from Canada went here beginning of Nov. It's my 3rd time to Punta Cana and this is my favorite resort. It's quaint, quiet, small enough that if you have trouble walking, everything is close enough to get around. Its close to the beach and everything. You feel a bit pampered compared to the main resort because there are little touches that set you apart. Sorry for the novel but here goes:

Pools: If you want to enjoy the more fun pools, its literally right next door. If you want quiet, the 2nd back pool of Esmeralda is much quieter. They have nicer chairs than the main resort and they have little cabana's which are great for sun/rain and more private. There was absolutely no having to save chairs poolside EVER which was not the case for the main resort. The front pool was more kid friendly. If you want to go shopping or go to a different entertainment area than the Esmeralda, just hop on the tram that runs between the Esmeralda and the main resort and it takes you right to the main lobby. Pool bars at each and every one.

Weather: We were mortified that the weather forecasted thunderstorms every single day but thankfully it only rained one full day. The other days it was either over night or an hour and then gone so don't fret if the weather looks like it might be bad.

Service: Starting from Charli serving us drinks at check in to the amazing staff at the buffets, service was impeccable. Cinthia greeted us with a smile and hand sanitizer every time you entered the buffet (love the sanitizer idea) and Luis stood out amongst all the staff for great service from pulling out our chair, making straw hearts, high fives, just super friendly and very attentive to us. All staff say Hola as they walk by and service was great everywhere.
Poor Service: We didn't get a wake up call one day so I recommend you set alarm too. We almost missed our excursion. Also, the staff everywhere are so friendly EXCEPT the women serving drinks in the lobby. It's almost as if you are bothering them to ask for a drink. If you don't tip, you feel the coldness from them. No smiles or anything. This was our only noticeable lack of service from the entire resort. Don't let that scare you away though, every other area is awesome service.

Food: Awesome. Not bland at all and sooo much to choose from for every meal. 4 restaurants at this resort (+ buffet) but you could also go to the main resorts restaurants too. We went to the steakhouse and the Italian but we weren't that impressed. You still have to get up and do the buffet for salad/dessert and I was hoping to choose from a menu for full sit down service. It was still nice to have a different atmosphere and dress up a bit more though. They had a little mariachi band come around to the tables for Mexican night. So fun. They mixed the food up a bit each day so you didn't feel like you were eating the same thing and I was impressed to see the head chef out checking to make sure the buffets were set up to standards. My favorite was the donuts for breaky and the bagels were so fresh, topped with mamosas. Yum! The snack bar at the beach is so cute with curtain top and an open breeze to the beach. Again, amazing service with staff on you with drinks as soon as you sit down. Want a yummy drink, try the Miami Vice, mmmm! Capuccino self serve bar in lobby too which was a nice touch if you wanted a cappucino after dinner. This resort has linen napkins and fancy knives, the main resort has paper napkins and regular knives. Lil differences that we noticed but make you feel special.

Things to do: We liked that this was a quiet resort but you still have fun so close by. We really wanted to paint pottery but couldn't find anything like that and staff didn't seem to know if it was available. There are scheduled events each day but we only saw them at the main resort next door. There is volleyball, darts, bingo, fun events like Mr. Bahia Principe, etc. There is a schedule. The entertainment was OK from karaoke to the circus show but go to the big resort for the better entertainment. The Esmeralda had a live band singing one night. Nice touch and they were great. For excursions, we did the OUTBACK SAFARI, which is an amazing trip to do. It gives you a flavor of the island, not just the resort and it ends in boogie boarding, really fun. We visited a school (bring school supplies, they are in need, ie. pencils) a typical house, learned about cigars, cocoa, coffee and much more. Our guide, Rudi was super fun & very informative. He made the trip extra special. We also did the catamaran trip with speed boats back. Very relaxing and then a fun ride back.

Grounds: Clean and someone was always painting or scrubbing, fluffing cushions and changing the fabric, very clean. Very impressive.

Rooms: Spacious, clean, they refill jumbo water bottles, pop, booze and potato chips in your minifridge daily. Lots of English speaking t.v. channels. Only complaint would be some dampness/water damaged wall in the bathroom (not quite mold) and some sludge around the bottom of outside of the shower, but just a bit and again, I am picky so if it didn't bug me...The shower itself was clean and no broken tiles or anything. We were in room #92006 which is the 3rd building back from the beach but still so close to everything. The construction is at the very back so slightly noisy for the back pool but not really because they have music playing all the time. Didn't even notice it much. I wouldn't want a room back there though. Building #90,91 and 92 didn't hear any of it.

Bugs: I hate bugs so I was not happy that we got major bug bites down our legs and ankles. I've been told they are sand fleas. We were right in the sand making sand castles so if I knew in advance I wouldn't do that again. We checked the bed out really well and didn't see any bugs. Definitely lots of mosquitos at night so bring your bug spray. It's the tropics, you cant help the sand fleas or mosquitos. We were on ground floor and so I was worried but again, no bugs in our room. My only complaint for the resort would be some ants around the back pool. None at the front pool or anywhere else that we saw.

I never thought I would return to a resort, but this is one I would return to in a heart beat, but bring the bug spray!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

For all our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection team is wonderful to know that this resort in Dominican Republic have been your favorite and absolutely the best one.

All our staff, will be proud with your acknowledgements and to know that they contributed in creating you a wonderful week.

Please feel welcome to contact our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your next visit; we will be at your disposal for anything you may need.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Warm greetings,

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were a group of 8 and weather was just amazing! New building is being built and no noise. As a big group, we had no choice for reserving restaurants...always full. Great beach area but the volleyball was a disruption because it was to close to the people. Great sport but should be placed in a less crowded area. A big thank you to William Castro for an excellent service at the buffet and Sandra at the lobby bar. Also, Carlos. At the snack bar was very pleasant and would quickly arrange to accommodate us.

Room Tip: We had room 91011, 1st time on ground floor, facing pool bar and I would recommend it.