“Amazing Resort - We had a great holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #13 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Halifax, Canada
“Amazing Resort - We had a great holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I visited the Esmeralda from March 16-23, 2013 and had an amazing vacation. We left our young children at home with their grandparents and had our first holiday with just the two of us in a long time.

Below are some comments on our vacation that we hope will help those planning a vacation at the Esmeralda.

1. Our room was clean and tons of room, my wife loved the large bathroom with separate shower and jet tub. The maid was consistent when she cleaned the room, late afternoon and that worked great and she always stocked the fridge with water and beer, we don't drink pop so just requested extra water. We were also told to bring small gifts for the maids to leave on the pillow, with a tip, every day. We did this and our maid really appreciated it. When we arrived at the Punta Cana hotel on the first day, we got dropped off at the front and were immediately loaded onto a shuttle to take us to the Esmerelda. No issues at all getting there.
2. We Checked in at 9:30PM and the room was waiting and check-in went very smoothly. Because of our late arrival, we also had a late flight out when we departed. The Esmerelda provided us with a courtesy room to shower and get ready, prior to catching our shuttle to the airport. This alleviated a lot of stress getting cleaned up after our last day on the beach/at the pool.
3. Shuttles - we used them a lot and found they worked to go north and south but if you wanted to go to the east/west it took a little longer or required some walking but that was a good thing.
4. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and there were workers always pruning or watering. We brought snacks on our trip (granola bars, almonds etc) and shared them with the workers and they were so happy. Our understanding is most of the men in green uniforms are from Haiti and do not have much, so any little gift/gesture of food or soda was very much appreciated.
5. My wife and I alternated between the main pool and the beach every second day. I love the beach and she loves the pool so we compromised. The pool was nice but I wish there had been more umbrellas as i like the shade. Other than that pool was excellent and the pool side bar was very good as well. The beach was the nicest beach I have ever been on and I am from PEI and have also traveled to Mexico and Bermuda. I loved that there was an abundance of cabanas for shade but still plenty of room for my wife to sun bath. Down close to the water, there was lots of room to walk and the water was amazing. My only disappointment was there was no snorkelling off the beach simply because there was nothing to see and limited visibility due to the waves. I brought my own mask and snorkel and they went un-used after the first day. I was told down the beach there was some things to see but I didn't venture down. The water at the beach was amazing, no seaweed, moderate waves and a great temperature. FYI we only saw towels being removed from the pool cabanas and under the large umbrellas. Even if you got to the beach/pool late, you could always find a spot, it just wouldn't necessarily have any shade. At the beach i never saw towels removed but would have no problem if they did this. At the beach we were offered Drink service each day and had no trouble. The Esmeralda beach section definitely is not as crowed as the rest
6. We saw 3 shows and two were excellent and one was good. The Michael Jackson show was the best and yes you do have to get there a little early to get a seat, especially a good one. The circus show was also excellent though not quite as crowded. The third show we saw was an international dancing show with couples dancing different types of dances. This show was ok/good but we were pretty tired that night. There was another show we heard was very good (Boogie Nights) but we missed it as it was the night we arrived.
7. Drinks were excellent. My advice is take a bubba cup to keep your drinks cold but to get them to make the drinks in their cups and pour the contents in to the Bubba. The bar staff are very generous with the booze and even more in the Bubba cups. Also I always ordered the premium rum off the back bar and had no problem getting it and well worth the special request and always resulted in a tip for them.
8. Restaurants - As recommended, we made our dinner reservations for the a la cartes 2 weeks prior to heading down for our vacation. We ate at a different restaurant (a la carte) every night and did not end up having a buffet supper. Our favourite meal was at Don Pablo, but we really like El Olivio, The Japanese restaurant, and the Garden Grill. Every one of our supper meals was very good to excellent. We had reservations for 6pm every night and we would recommend eating early to ensure fresh food and great service. I don't drink wine but always had a beer or two and didn't have a chance to finish a glass before another one was waiting for me as a refill. My wife always had a glass or two of the house wine and said it was good, similar to other house wines at any restaurant. Enjoyable enough though, that she did not feel the need to upgrade to the other wine. I can't say enough good things about the restaurants and it makes the Esmeralda well worth the extra to be able to have access to them nightly and to treat yourself to the superior service and food.
9. The breakfasts were very good, especially once i found the peanut butter. All i need is toast and peanut butter, fresh fruit and occasionally a fried egg and i am pretty easy to please. We ate at the same place each day and always found breakfast very good. Only thing is we are both tea drinkers and sometimes the tea water wasn't that hot but they always refreshed it if we asked.
10. We ate every lunch at the restaurant between the beach and pool. I would not even call this a complaint but I did get a little tired of the lunch buffet, but I think the same thing would happen if I ate at the same place here every day, you just get tired of eating out. I did always find something to eat. I looked at lunch as gap between a good breakfast and something to tide me over to a great supper.
11. We walked to the market down the beach and it was interesting. You certainly have to have thick skin and be able to walk away but there are some good things at prices that were much less than on the resort. Now having said that, there was a market that set up on the Punta Cana property (i think) one night with outside vendors. We were told they do this every15 days and you can barter with these guys, which had similar stuff as the market down the beach. I would still go down the beach to visit that market but ask if they will be setting up on resort during your stay. We checked out the shops and vendors by the casino but did not find the selection and the prices were much higher than down the beach the special market. At the market on the resort i got a beautiful painting (not print) and everyone at my office who has seen it loves it. Very colourful painting of a group of small boats tied up together at sea, a wonderful souvenier and memory of our trip. My wife picked up a ton on jewelry.
12. I played 3 rounds of golf at the Punta Blanca course and had a great time. I am an avid golfer and the course was in great shape. It had pretty wide open fairways with little water or trouble but i expected that from a tourist course. Plus after not playing since October the forgiving fairways probably helped me. As part of the green fee you were provided water, pop, coffee and a sandwich. Because I played 3 times they also included lunch afterwards but i only used it once because I would rather go back to the resort and eat with my wife. They would not reduce the fee even though I didn't want or eat the food. Only other thing was i played with a great guy from Connecticut USA all three rounds. The tour companies from the US get a special deal that they can play for half of what I payed from Canada which I did not think was fair. He was given so many rounds for each night stayed and because his wife did not play he could use hers. So those two rounds he paid only for the cart which was half my average round cost. For the 3rd round he had to pay more but still less than what I paid. I guess they know the Canadians will come regardless but have to work a little harder to get Americans there. Overall it was great and still worth the money and the shuttle to and from the lobby was always on time for pick-up early in the morning and ready as soon as we wanted after the round.
13. Sports - my wife and I played tennis a few times, nice courts and lots of choice for court times, other than between 7am-10am< when it was coolest. We played later in the morning and didn't mind the heat, that was why we were there. I also tried the archery which was only ok and the kayaks at the beach were fun in the waves. I have kayaked a lot and had a good time but strongly advise if you are a novice, do not go too far especially if you have a child with you who doesn't paddle that hard. I saw quite a few parents really struggling and worried that they should not have been out as far as they were. The boats are made for fun and pleasure and do require a lot of effort. they do have boogie boards at the beach to use but only a few and you need a $20 deposit which I understand. I think they should have more, there were only 4-5 adult size ones and they did not offer the use of fins with the boogie boards which was disappointing.
14. I looked for bikes to ride around the resort but was unsuccessful. I did find the ones that are like large scooters that you can rent but not plain bikes, maybe i missed them.
15. Bring lots of sunscreen, when yo think you have enough pack an extra 2 bottles. The sun is hot and their bottles are very expensive and you don't want to run out.
16. We booked with Air Canada Vacations and the transportation was great both ways. Only issue was they were supposed to have a small welcome reception/information meeting but we were not able to find them. We left after waiting 25 minutes.
17. Bank Machine - it blew our minds that there was not a bank machine in the lobby of the Esmeralda. My wife had to go looking around the resort and when she found the first one it did not work and interac didn't work so she had to take an advance on her credit card. Also it dispensed pesos and not US dollars just in case you were wanting dollars. I can understand the pesos but not having a bank machine in the lobby seemed a bit strange for a high end resort who wants you to spend money.
18. We loved the size of the resort, large enough for me to wander and sightsee and small enough on the Esmeralda to feel secluded. I witnessed the security at the beach insist on a bunch of people from one of the other sister resorts remove themselves from the Esmeralda beach. It was kind of funny because the people were being so rude but security stuck to the position and eventually the people were escorted. The staff do want to ensure that you have a superior vacation.
19. I checked out the kids play area and spoke to a family with two sons, who said they felt the options for kids were vast and the facilities were very well run. There was a kids' club, a water slide park, mini golf - where the kids all appeared to be having a great time. Next time we will definitely take our kids with us, especially now that we have been there and know how things work, we feel very comfortable taking our kids next time.
20. Beds - we found the beds a little hard but nothing that caused us to not be able to sleep, just harder than most hotels I stay at.

Overall we had a amazing trip, loved the resort and will definitely be back. I had a few comments above for some things they can improve on but nothing that would prevent me from coming back or recommending it to friends, which I already have done. I always found the staff great, my wife speaks French so even if the staff could not speak English, though tried really hard, we often were able to communicate in French or the staff would go find another staff member who could speak English or French. It is their country and we were happy to be their guests.

Hope this helps you plan you trip. I haven't ever written a recommendation on Trip Advisor before but spent so much time reading about resorts before our trip that I had to reciprocate.

Cheers

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 91 and it was great, centrally located but i think they all are. We were on t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Andy,

We really appreciate this detailed review, we sincerely appreciate all feedback. It is a great compliment to know that our staff ensured that you have a superior vacation.

Thank you for recommending us with others on TripAdvisor. Please be assured that it will be a pleasure to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities with your kids.

Warm greetings,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,009)
  • Polish first
Labrador City, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We just came back from Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda...and it was amazing!!!
This resort was beautiful,clean and the grounds are amazing, the food was fantastic and the super friendly staff will keep us coming back to this resort.
A big "thank you" to Victor our butler for making our vacation so wonderful...he even planned a special evening for us...look for him he is one of their best!!!
Our room was big and very comfortable the cleaning ladies where always kind and friendly.
Restaurants were so awesome there is so much selection...a big shout out to Luis our singing waiter,Wander,Clemente,Raundy and Tomas.(these guys go out of their way for you)
Pools are great and the bartenders are super friendly and fun.(get up early to get a good spot by the pool)
Beach is absolutly breathtaking, it is clean and the water is clear.
Nighttime entertaiment was great...go check out Micheal Jackson show...Wow
Every night at the bar they always had live entertaiment to relax to and have a few drinks.
Thanks to Estebon and the front desk staff they where always friendly and answered our questions.
Don't forget to go to the Spa...you will leave relaxed.
This resort makes you feel so special, the service is like nothing else we have ever experienced, the staff are so wonderful!!!
See you guys next year!!!
Tracey,Jody,Nathan and Kyle
Newfoundland and Labrador,Canada

Room Tip: Building 94 was close to the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tracey, Jody, Nathan and Kyle,

Victor Wander, Clemente, Raundy, Tomas, and Esteban, will be very proud with your acknowledgments about their service, which made you feel so especial. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

You are welcome to contact us for your next year visit.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Whitby, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Recent stay at Bahia Principe Esmeralda on Mar. 31 to April 7th. Wed night my girlfriend and I went to dinner and came back to our room to find the safe open and money missing from my wallet. We called Security who came and took a report and they can tell when the safe was last open and who was the last person(s) in the room. Unfortunately I did not lock the safe properly and it was open and the last person in the room was an authorized person. The Customer Service person I was dealing with called me a liar as I told him I had lock the safe and therefore I was also lying about the missing money - and he was not going to take responsibility for his staff - He was very very rude to me - his attitude to me was too bad so sad - I wonder if I were a man if I would of got the same treatment. I will never go back - a word of warning - make sure your safe is lock.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Joan,

All our personnel is well checked every time they are coming in or getting out of the Hotel, as there is a specific staff entrance. After conducting the appropriate investigations on our part, and having found no signs of violation of latchkey or safe, there is no evidence that any unauthorized personnel actually entered the room, which is why we cannot proceed to blame anyone.

Please be advice that our Security Department operates 24/7, in order to guarantee the security and well-being of our distinguished customers.

Kind regards,

Oak Creek, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from Punta Cana. We were there from 4/3-4/7. The room and amenities were great, the buffets were above average, the staff was friendly especially the staff at the pool bar-Angel and Nestor were great bartenders, super friendly with a great disposition. I would recommend trying to make your dinner reservations by email and ensure you get a response back so when you arrive, they are there otherwise very hard to get reservations to the restaurants. Good place to relax!

Room Tip: Ask for Villa 90 or 91 which are closest to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Lydia,

We are very pleased to read that you had a good vacation in Punta Cana with great amenities, buffets above average, and friendly staff. Thank you for mentioning Angel and Nestor who will appreciate your nice impressions.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Cornwall, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I travelled the week of March 23rd- March 30th 2013. This resort is everything it claims to be. It's extremley clean, the food was good and the staff are very friendly and helpful. A special thank you to consierge " Victor" for setting up our room with champagne and suprising us with lavender scented pillows. I'll do a review of the resort by sections...

Check in- Check out: There was a little bit of confusion when we got there, apparently we didn't have some peice of paper they were looking for. Some kind of confirmation, which we were never provided with from our local travel agent. A bell boy saw us looking confused and promptly told us to go have a bite to eat and he'd have everything resolved in 20 minutes. And sure enough he did. Check out was incredibly easy, we dialed 0 had a bell boy pick up our luggage, had a light breakfast and cought the trolly to the main Punta Cana lobby where the bus picked us up to head to the air port. ( the punta Cana air port is ridiculous for departures FYI. it was quite the experience)

Rooms & resort facilities: This resort was beyond beautiful,the staff are ALWAYS working tirelessly cleaning, painting and ladscaping. The cleand our room 3 times a day which i found excessive, but it may be bc we always tipped and brought presents for the maids. The fridge is stocked daily with drinks, beer and chips. Rooms are very large and the bathrooms are very large to. Rooms look exactly like the photos. We loves that there was a flat screen TV with Satelite, we watched english movies when we needed to escape the heat for a bit. The beds are quite firm. Hotel bars were increadible, extremly whide selection of name brand booz and they wre generous with it.

Food: you have the choice of two buffets for breakfast, 3 for lunch and access to all 14 a la cartes for supper. Breakfast was amazing!!! You name the food and they had it every single morning, mimosas and bloody maries every morning as well. Lunch i found a bit disapointing but i am an extremly picky eater so i blame myself not the resort for that. For the a la cartes i emailed them 2 weeks before we left and pre booked 6 resservations. Upon arival we met with "Jose" are guest services and he had all our tickets for every reservations i requested. This man works tirelessly. his english is perfect and he helped us out numerous times during the week with different things. The one a la carte i insist you try is Garden Grill. My husband and i both ordered steak, two different cuts, and it may possibly be the best steak we've ever eaten.

Pools & Beach: the resort has two large pools and one adult only 'hot tub' section. They were always clean and in amazing repair. Both have swim up bars with a wide selection of drinks. The beach was incredible. a bit crowded and noisy with kids but the water front itself was flawless. Huge waves to play in and no seaweed at all. You can walk for miles in either direction. it is sometimes hard to find a palapa close to the beach front or by the pool, but we always managed to find a good spot farther back with out waking up at 5am to reserve one. ( seriously who does that?!?)

All in all i highly recomend this resort for families with young children. The staff were always playing with them and trying to help out when a baby was fussing. It was a bit busy with kids for us and we would stay at the Ambar adults only side next time for sure.

You will not regret a trip to this incredible resort. The lobby at night is the best, they come around with fresh made chocolates every night, and waitresses to get you anything you desire.

Room Tip: Every room is in close proximety to something, iw ouldn't say any building had better rooms or l...
Dear Krysten,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to the good service from our employees. Jose and Victor will appreciate your nice comments. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

Thank you for your recent review and looking forward to seeing you soon at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar!

Always at your disposal,

g
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had a great time, but know what you’re getting. The weather and beach and grounds are perfect. The food… not so much. Perhaps leaning toward bad. Though the special restaurants were better. But the buffets? Ummmm. No. The rooms were very nice and kept very clean. The front desk was not super helpful or even nice actually, which was strange as the rest of the staff was particularly friendly. The butler service, for instance was more helpful than the desk. And they did so with a smile. Especially Yuleyda. Super cheery and very helpful. Good luck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you valuable time to share your comments and experience with us. Your feedbacks help us evaluate our performance.

We are pleased to read that you had a great time. Yuleyda will be delighted with your nice comment.

Warmest regards,

Grand Bend, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and spent 2 wonderful weeks at this newest part of the Gran Bahia Principe Property and were once again delighted with our stay. We have vacationed in almost all of the Resorts that make up this amazing collection of Vacation Properties. This was our 8th time in 10 years
The Buffet Food Amazing and with a Change in theme each evening, as well as many standards you never got bored. The 3 specialty items that were served by one of the chef's was always superb. Our favourite a la Carte Restaurant this year was Takara (Japanese) a combination of Buffet and off the menu.
Service was wonderful - keeping in mind your need to be on a slightly more relaxed Caribbean time.
The staff was extremely helpful and always willing to chat, even with the language barrier in some cases, with our little bit of Resort Spanish and their willingness to learn we got along famously with all these incredibly hard working people. A shout out to our wait staff, Mary Lou, Raphel, Yimi, Micheal, Juan and supervisor Ben, just to name a few.
The Room was spotlessly clean and our wonderful house keeper Yubelkis Martinel greeted us each day with such warmth and kindness not to mention a wonderful towel animal or two, Flower petals decorating the bed/bathroom and balloon arrangements. Such a pleasant surprise each day. Bring lots of American one dollar bills for tipping.
The Beach is perfect the pools endless and every variety from peaceful to right in the middle of the action. You find your favourite area and just simply relax :)

Dear Guest,

It is grateful to read that you spent 2 wonderful weeks with your husband in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. We are also very pleased to know that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the good service from our employees.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!