“A quality all-inclusive Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #9 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal, Canada
“A quality all-inclusive Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Luxury Esmeralda GBP Hotel and it was far bettet than I expected. I visited many All-incl over the years and the Esmeralda has a certain quality that I found that is worth mentioning. Great Capuccino Bar in a relaxing environment (with soft music always playing). Access to all the others restaurants in the resort for Luxury visitors and not for the regular Gran Bahia principe clients (best being 1- Don Pablo 2- Santa Fe 3- Garden Grill) and a great onsite Buffet resto with outdoor seating at Esmeralda. Worth mentioning is that the Esmeralda Pool and Buffet and the room we stayed in (bldg 95) were minutes away and well located. Beach is only a few minutes further , so no hassle to get there. Place is well kept (almost too well), and the Lobby BAR stocks good varierty of brand liquours, not available at the regular Gran Bahia. WI-FI always available and Pool around Esmeralda has waiter service throughout the day, no need to get up from your chair.
Night time take the Trolley to the shows and hang-out at the square, it's all fun and really great if your young. The shows were not spectacular , but I have seen worse and they were somewhat entertaining , some nights better than others.
The downside of this resort is the abuse of Esmeralda clients that reserve their chairs around the Pool by placing their towels and never showing up until way later in the day. FInally the Beach is nice but around the Esmeralda section there were too many umbrella's and therefore too much shade and not enough of view of the SAND which is what we like to see and what they promote on their Brochures, but it was fully covered up by Palapa's and umbrellas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to find out that you find worth to mention our quality, which helped us go far better than you expected for an all-inclusive resort. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

Regards from Punta Cana,

3,082 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Polish first
Rockwall, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were lovely and luxurious with hydro massage tub! Restaurants had delicious food! The beach was the white sandy beach that I love to walk on. The staff was very accommodating. We had two rooms. The house keepers did all the little extras to make it romantic fir my husband and me like placing rose petals to make a walkway from the door to the tub with the water drawn for a tub for two when we came in from the beach one day! The only thing missing in our room here that the Bahia in Cayo Levantado had was the bidet and loofah sponge!

This place was immaculate and maintained with excellence! 24 hour room service!

I would love to vacation here again!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Susan,

It is a pleasure to read that your stay became a wonderful family vacation. For our housekeeping team will be a compliment to know that with their little extras, they make it romantic for you and your husband.

We would love to cater you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, so you can enjoyed the beautiful white sandy beach and all of our services.

Best regards,

Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay; I would have likely given it a 5 out of 5 had the wedding / wedding facilities been more to our taste (like those at the GBP Tulum in Maya where we got hitched). They did a fairly porfessional job of running it, however, the location was not exactly private. If you are interested in putting on a show then you will be more than happy.
ROOMS: very clean, very nice with a large bathroom and all expected amenities. service was good - especially after a buck or two tip.
FOOD: great selection and very tasty buffets (if you stay at the Esmeralda, you have access to the other hotels on the property). The steakhouse was very good; Itallian was really nice - the staff were amazing and will make you want to come back. there is a brand new lunch buffet in the beach that has different food than the regular buffet and is well worth a try. on a side note a number of the 25 people we went with suffered a bout of sickness while there (there is a pharmacy on site with helpful staff) however the front desk claimed that the origin was traced back, through themselves and other hotels, to a certain flight which a few of those sick were on.
GROUNDS: typicall of GBP hotels and well kept. Pools virtually everywhere, all providing great service; some possesssing a far more peaceful environment than others.
BEACH: Fantastic beach with lots of shade and sun. Great sand and very calm "ocean" water. If you are looking for more excitement than the esmeralda beach can afford, just walk down to the beach in front of the Ambar section for your 18+ section activities. A little tip here and there keep the serving staff close. Those not affraid of long walks down the beach can go to the beach market.
GOLFERS!!!!! The best part about the DR is the golf. There is a course next door; it runs about 100 bucks and is worth the money, however lacking a little in the "ocean vista" department. If you want to golf, book through your tour rep to actually get a better deal than i could find on my own. Punta Espada (Nickalus design) is pretty amazing but a bit pricey at the "especiale deal" of 285 p/p. We found Corales to be just as nice, and a little less busy (no slouch at 7650yds from the tips, Tom Fazio design), at 180 p/p (both prices including transport, food, drinks, golf and rentals - great clubs for righties, not-so-much for lefties unless you like nike). Both are closer than Casa de Campo and are nicer and much newer with the ocean side golfing you go to the tropics for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor and for mentioning our clean rooms, great food selection, fantastic beach, and for considering that the best part about the Dominican Republic is the golf experience.

We hope to welcome you and provide you once again a very comfortable stay.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently stayed at the Esmeralda resort and loved it (February 20 - March 6th, 2013). The Reception Personnel were very efficient and very informative. A special thanks to David in Reception for his friendly and much appreciated assistance in tracking down our nephew staying at the Punta Cana resort. Our hotel room was situated in Building 91 on 2nd floor (very near main pool, lobby and beach areas). The room was huge and the housemaid cleaned and tidied it each day. The washroom was spacious with a very comfortable shower stall, bathtub and had two sinks. Our mini- fridge was stocked each day with hard and soft drinks and snacks. The grounds around this resort are well kept and beautiful to look at. The buffet and restaurants are well runned and Staff very courteous and efficient. A special thanks to Marilyn in the Jasmin Buffet for her kind assistance and her friendly and charming character. There are many à la carte restaurants and had no problem making reservations for them. Our favorites were the Japanese (Maiko) and the Asian (Takara). . The food served at all the restaurants was amazing...always a large variety and my husband just loved all the seafood. The alcohol and non-alcohol drinks were a-plenty...never any shortage at the Bars. A special thanks to Butler J.D.Jenny for the bottle of very cold champagne we found in our room...we enjoyed it immensely after a day spent at the beach. Also a special thanks to Daniel, the activity person, who livened our time spent on the pool and beach areas with the Horse Shoe, Bocci and Dart competitions. My husband even won two medals!!! We would return to the Bahia Principe Esmeralda hotel and resort again and will recommend it to our family and friends.

Italo & Maria

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Italo & Maria,

We appreciate your recognition from our personnel. David with his appreciated assistance in tracking down your nephew, Marilyn with her kind assistance and charming character, Jenny with her special bottle of champagne, and Daniel who livened our time spent on the pool and beach, will be proud of their effort in providing you a very comfortable vacation.

We would like to thank you for recommending us, and it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Regards from Punta Cana,

Midland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As the title says, this was a first for us and we have nothing to compare it too. That said, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at the Esmeralda. Staff were excellent as was our room. Very comfortable throughout our stay.
The buffets and the a la Carte restaurants were - for the most part - very good quality. Keep in mind we are very picky about food so that's really a compliment. Everything was very clean and well cared for at this resort.
The only disappointment were the excursions were the staff seemed to be on a mission to ensure we had enough to drink. We took the sailing/snorkelling trip which has heavy on the booze and the Bavaro VIP - see the local attractions which was too long and I wouldn't suggest it for anyone

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Resort as your first all-inclusive vacation. It is rewarding to know that you enjoyed yourselves at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda, and it is a great compliment to know that you considerate our gastronomic offer is good quality.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was visiting this hotel as a potential wedding venue for a party of about 60-70 people so I focused a lot on their grounds and quality of food/drinks. I was there from March 4-7th.

The resort is beautiful, clean, very quiet, and the people are nice. The beach is also beautiful with huts over the chairs for people who want to relax and not get a sun burn at the same time. I actually like the overall shade at the resort because it allows me to work on my tan properly. I hate having my shoulders sunburned from just walking. Because Punta Cana is very close to coral reefs, you will never get super clean water. Keep that in mind.

Some reasons why I took off some points is that the food is ok, nothing extraordinary. The buffet on Esmeralda's side are pretty small compared to other resorts but the items that they do have are good. They make excellent deserts and breads. The have the best house wine (carbenet sauvignon) that I have tasted at a resort. Since they only have two restaurants for dinner, you will find yourself going to other restaurants from bahia principe including Ambar, Punta Cana, or Bavaro sections. Then you ask, why pay more to stay on this side? The rooms are nicer and you have access to the entire Bahia Principe resort (except Ambar buffet because they are both similar).Two of their employees informed us that the Bavaro and Punta Cana people have to stay in their sections so that's something to consider. The overall quality of the food at the restaurants was also ok. You do have to make reservations ahead of time; before 3pm for the same day and before 6-7pm for the following night. The appetizers at the restaurants aren't good at all but the main dish is good. Sadly, they don't give you enough of the main dish to satisfy your hunger so you do have to eat the appetizer and desert. They don't allow you to get both soup and salad which is a little sad. It's all-inclusive right? DON'T EAT THE FRENCH ONION SOUP AT THE FRENCH RESTAURANT AND THEY DON'T HAVE SUSHI AT THE JAPANESE RESTAURANT. Their soup is basically chicken bouillon with onions and sliced bread: no wine, no cheese, and improperly cooked onions. I did have GOOD seared ahi tuna for dinner at the japanese restaurant so we were a little confused why imitation crab rolls with a ton of rice was what they served in their appetizer buffet. Oh, and they have soup named "5-spice with apple" or something similar, but that was actually miso soup. It was good so i'm not sure why it's called that. The service overall is good, not excellent, but some do give excellent service.

Their choice of alcohol is good I think. They do offer options for people who want to drink better stuff. For example, I saw a glass of Johnny Walker Blue for like $20, but no cigar shop nearby to enjoy it with. (by the way, I don't drink johnny or smoke). They do have "mamahuana", black label, and Jose Cuervo, to name a few.

They have the main pool and the smaller Jacuzzi pool for adults. But it's like 1 foot deep at the low end and maybe 2 feet or so at the deeper end where you would sit down. They do have a pool bar but nothing on the beach. You would have to go to the Punta Cana side to get drinks on the beach. There don't have too many vendors on the Esmeralda side, which is nice but they do try to sell you their Privilege Club though so watch out for them. I also heard someone selling a swimming with the dolphins trip when I was at the adult pool but I pretended to sleep so that he wouldn't bother me, it worked. I saw people on the pool at 8am so it was hard for us to get chairs one day at around 3pm. There were plenty of beach chairs though.

You can't get dropped off at Esmeralda's lobby because they don't have a road that get's there for the public. We were dropped off at bavaro and a trolly took us to Esmeralda but they took 10-15mins to pick us up. tsk tsk. The advantage of this design is that Esmeralda's main lobby and rooms are near each other and the beach. You don't have to use the trolly unless you want to go to the main lobby, which is maybe a 10-15 min walk from the beach to the main lobby. I didn't watch any of their shows because they were in the main lobby and I didn't want to go that far.

Their beach gazebo for weddings is at the Punta Cana/Bavaro side. Right next to the people and potentially men in speedos. The garden gazebo is also in that section but next to the Punta Cana or Bavaro pool. There is a walkway that divides the gazebo from the pool but otherwise not private at all. Because of this, we will not hold our wedding there. The food was also a negative but I'm sure they would bake an excellent wedding cake. We didn't see conference rooms so I'm not sure if there is any indoor space for weddings.

Overall, I would go back to Bahia Principe. Probably Ambar though because I don't have kids (yet) and their lobby and pool was a lot more lively than esmeralda. Ambar had music going on while esmeralda had nothing; background music maybe. For me, quiet is good in the rooms but not in the bar. Now if you want a quiet environment, then esmeralda is perfect.

Sorry, I didn't post any pictures...I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet. Contact me if you have any specific question.

Room Tip: Building 91 is across the lobby and right next to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed a relaxing stay, and that you founded here the best house wine that you have tasted at a Resort.

Please allow us to inform you that we organize indoors and outdoors weddings. Indoors weddings could be planned to take place in a restaurant terrace, our new Convention Center, or in a conference room.

Always at your disposal,

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our vacation was November 10th - 14th, and my boyfriend and I were long due for a vacation. After many, and I mean MANY, months of researching and scouring over hotel reviews on tripadvisor, I finally decided on booking the GBP Esmeralda. I probably was a bit excessive in my research.

Before my trip, I read all the forum posts and took some people's suggestion to email the staff ahead of time to request rooms and book restaurants. They were so responsive and helpful, and I got all my request fulfilled.

Everything was clean, staff was friendly, buffet was good for an All-Inclusive. I will note that our safe was not working, and we didn't get an umbrella in our room like others did; however, it wasn't anything that interfered with our trip much. It rained a little during our trip but usually only for an hour or so when we weren't outside. Unlike some of the reviews, we left our passport and cash in our room while we were out. They were hidden around but still safe. Nothing was taken! :)

My boyfriend and I enjoyed the buffet more than the restaurants. The food in the restaurants were not that great and service was pretty slow in some. We booked 3 dinner reservations at Don Pablo, Maiko, and Bella Italia. I'd say the Bella Italia was the better of the 3, but the buffet was definitely better than all.

The hotel is right off the beach, and we were always able to find loungers. One time, a staff member even saw us looking for empty loungers and went and pulled us up some with a table. It was so nice of him, and the gesture was definitely noted and appreciated.

Overall, the hotel was wonderful, and I left with nothing but great memories. Now, every beach vacation I take and all-inclusive hotel I stay in will have to live up to this trip and hotel.

P.S. Don't forget to bring lots of small bills to tip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Britnhi,

We are very proud to know that we have provided you and your boyfriend a wonderful relaxing vacation. It is appreciative to read that you left our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda with great memories.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!