“Beware: Privilege Club” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Thorold, Canada
“Beware: Privilege Club”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nov 25 - Dec 2 - 2012 (Air Canada Vacations)

My spouse and I were married at this resort in 2010 and decided to return for our 2nd Anniversary with another couple we recommended this resort to. We arrived and to our exact expectation, a bit of a wait for the luggage trolly and of course when it got there, we were all packed in like sardines, overcrowding to the point where the vehicle slammed and scraped on each and every speed bump.

Arriving at the Esmeralda lobby was a bit of a shocking disappointment. There were no smiles on the faces of reception. We approached Olga to check in, who just pointed her finger towards another employee, keeping her eyes on whatever she was already working on. The employee we were referred to had our names on a familiar envelope with our room already written on it. We had emailed the resort several times to request a room in building 90 - (where we had previously stayed) - our requests were very ignored. We were assigned building 92 and were told our room would not be able to enter the room until 3pm. We observed nearly every other guest who arrived with us, were escorted to their rooms-- including the couple travelling with us, which of course, took our luggage into their room.

Despite the inconveniences and our requests not being met, our room was manicured very nicely each day. There was this and that missing from the fridge - although we'd leave money on our bed every day as an incentive for the maids to take care of us. The rooms, bartenders, and waitstaff at the restaurants really did make this trip. Particularly Sandra - she was beautiful, attentive and made sure we never got to the bottom of our drinks without bringing another. And Hector at the Don Pablo - he went great lengths to ensure our satisfaction with our drinks, and dinner courses, we felt like royalty.

****IMPORTANT--- BEWARE: THE PRIVILEGE CLUB****

It was not until day 2 that this trip turned pretty sour. We were approached by an employee for what seemed to be innocent small talk - asking us if we were enjoying ourselves, and if we were returning guests and how our travelling couple were enjoying their stay. He brought us over to a table and gave us some sunglasses and the Bahia "Sun". He explained some "giveaway" which we looked at eachother and immediately knew what this was all about and we tried to back away. He pitied us into committing to a 1 hour meeting regarding a Privilege Club vacation package in exchange for a free gift, we just wanted him out of our hair so we let him put our names down for the next day.

The following morning we were tired, hungry and just down-right dreading this meeting - we were in no mood to argue and object to their offers. We tried to fox our way to the Jasmine restaurant, doing EVERYTHING we could to stay out of sight of these guys, but as luck would have it, we were tagged at the steps by the same guy.

We told him we were unwilling to go at this point and he stood there, staring at us - in this ... repulsive, drawn-back, belligerent stance, and has the nerve to say, "You just go - for me, so I get my points. You promise me 1 hour last night. But don't say to anyone I told you this."

Angrily, we fell victim to the pity - again. We went down the stairs into what you could figuratively describe a SHARK TANK. We were grilled with questions, benefits, perks, and sales pitches. We were taken on a tour of the SAME ROOMS we stayed in, and were brought back only to speak with the sales manager to object to his offers also. We got our free gift (a towel, 2 hats and a bag) and got out of there, exhausted and extremely upset at this point.

The remainder of the week was spent avoiding that corner of the lobby, and observing their same tactics in action with other unsuspecting guests.

One of them tried to rope in our friends and at this point we've just had it. We angrily demanded they stop their harassing and the representative spit some angry words at us in their mother tongue which struck laughter with the other representatives.

This was an absolute repugnance to us, and in result the Privilege Club has landed this resort on the bottom of our list for vacations and we will not be returning or investing in the Bahia Principe chain of resorts or its "affiliates" in the future.

If you are headstrong enough to ignore the daily harassing, you'll enjoy the benefits of this resort.

Room Tip: Building 90, 91, 92 are closest to amenities of Esmeralda. You can attempt to request a room, but do...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Resorts for your 2nd anniversary. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

We think is important to remark that our check-in time is at 15:00h and check out is at 12:00h. We would like to inform you that room’s petitions are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Please be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of the Privilege Club and we will give the proper attention.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially our nice rooms and our bar/restaurants staff. Thank you for mentioning Sandra and Hector, they will be delighted to learn of your comments.

We hope to welcome you once again at one of our Hotels and be able to show our quality of service and customer satisfaction, commitment of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resort, and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I left my apt at 6am this morning and barely had time to catch breakfast at the airport. We reached the hotel at 3:30pm. The car service dropped us off at the main Grand Bahia entrance and we had to wait almost 30 MINUTES for the little carts to take to the Esmeralda.The front desk staff at the Esmeralda was dealing with a visibly upset gentleman who looked ready to blow a fuse. So we were asked to go and wait by the bar which most of us 1st did but since it was obvious no one was going to check us in from there, we all came back to the front desk. By now, it's past 4pm, i am hungry and exhausted. We were asked to provide our printed vouchers but I only had the email confirmation with all the relevant info. After some huffing and puffing, we are told to email it to the Helpdesk. I do just that thinking I'm finally going to get some food and lie down a bit. Well no, my confirmation email is actually a link to the booking agency and the front desk can't open up the Internet to see my reservation details, which by the way I had already shown them from my iphone. So back to 'I need a printed voucher'...really?!? In 2012 at a 5-star hotel?!?
By now I'm near tears from exhaustion and hunger. But luckily I am soon I'm given a room and a bracelet.

Next, we go to book a reservation for the a-la-carte restaurants. OMG! The girl behind the desk had the most nonchalant- I don't care- we're all booked- attitude. Thank God, someone who appears to be her supervisor comes in and saves the day. I wish I had remembered his name because he was really nice. To my defense, I was really hungry. (It's now 10pm and I'm still hungry...but more about that below).

Around 6:15pm, we are taken to the restaurant by the nice man who helped us get that reservation in the 1st place. We get seated and 1st thing I notice is that our table cloth has red wine stains. I'm so hungry, I decide to let it slide and just enjoy my food! We place our order (with a waiter who seems to be in a rush- he was actually tapping his feet) and start with the salad buffet - which was OK. And then we wait, and wait and wait for our appetizers. At 7:51pm, we finally get our appetizers (we sat down at 6:35pm). Tasteless. I discreetly flag down the manager and let him know about our situation, telling him I hope the main meal would be a better experience. He apologizes and takes note of all my issues. The main meal is served 10 minutes later but they had mixed up our order. My mom had ordered chicken, they gave her steak, I had ordered one type of beef, was given another. They quickly corrected my mom's order but by then we were beyond our tolerance limit for the day. We still tried to eat but the food was so bad, we just got up and left. I took the time to update the manager who looked very distraught at our situation and invited us to come back the next day as a courtesy. I actually feel bad writing about this because he seems like a really nice guy but his staff needs serious training! And they should get a new chef.

This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. The level of service I experienced today was at best that of a 3 star (and that's by Caribbean standard). Last year I stayed at the NH Real which is less fancy but the staff there made me feel so welcome that after all this, I was tempted to see if they had a vacancy.

I REALLY hope the rest of my stay is better because I am super tired and desperately need some relaxation. Plus, the hotel looks really nice.

Will update my post again in a few days to let you know how it ended.

• Stayed December 2012
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

In relation to your observations about printed vouchers, please allow us to remark that it is an internal policy, in order to guarantee the tours operators billing information.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive from our staff members. We assured you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel.

Your point of view has quite surprised us since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about their friendliness and attentiveness. We strongly believe that our guest’s satisfaction depends of their daily performance.

Regarding your comments about your restaurant experience, we apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager and our Food & Beverage staff to give the appropriate measures to ensure guest satisfaction.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at The Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

O'Fallon, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

just returned from d.r. on Nov. 29. the Esmeralda is the newest of the bahia principe resorts. as such the facilities are great. .the food is another thing. the buffet is the worst i have ever tried to eat at, like i said, tried to eat at. it was just downright bad. the only thing good was the breakfast because you could have eggs made any way you wanted. this is a group of 5 resorts grouped together so you can eat at any of the specialty restaurants at any resort. we tried 2 during the 5 nights we were there. although the food was much better at the specialty restaurants you still have to watch what you order.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the pools other wise you face another room in the next building which comp...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We regret your observations about our food concepts, but please allow us to inform you that our menus are done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. In the same way, we will look for new alternatives to improve our services.

Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort for their analysis in order to improve the points you mentioned. We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Please don't reply with saying anything to the effect of "this is quite the contrary to what we have heard from our guests".

1- called down to your room service three times. The first time the order was disgusting. Pink burgers aren't a delicacy. The second time the order never came. The third time we were scolded over how much food we ordered. We got back from an excursion late and were hungry. I shouldn't have had to explain myself.

2- your pool towel boy needs manners. I was scolded for going back three times in one day. Does he think I'm hoarding them?

3- my room smelled like mold.

4- mini bar was refilled twice during a 7 day stay. Even after I called. Two days I got chips. Thought I'd get two bags every day? Never got diet Pepsi after day two.

5- never had my room cleaned at 5pm before. What a hassle.

If I was a VIP would I have been treated better? No wait, I didn't want to sit through a time share meeting for an hour during my vacation. It was an unpleasant experience even walking through your lobby because we were harassed each and every time.

I will never return to your chain of resorts. I got nothing your resort advertised. Oh wait. I got two chocolates one night.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Your point of view has quite surprised us since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive cordially our guest feedback, as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service.

We have contacted you in private asking for you to please provide us your contact information in order for our Esmeralda Hotel Manager address you directly, and this way analyze each of your observations.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel, and we hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and be able to change any negative perception you may have.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first time to Punta Cana but 2nd time to a Bahia Principe property. I just want to start out saying the area is very beautiful and it was very hot. I did a lot of research and decided on this resort due to the positive reviews but I guess you can't always get lucky.

I emailed the resort before our trip requesting either buildings 90,91,92 facing the pool as I didn't want to be near the construction. When we got there we were put into building 94 directly across from where they were working. My husband went to the front desk and requested to be moved. We were told no problem for tomorrow as we have a lot of people leaving and will have rooms open. We went back the next day and were told by Estaban that we were not going to be moved as they have more people coming in that day. My husband said we were already there why can't we have another room that was empty. He said that he has to accommodate the people who emailed requests first. I told him that I didn't get my request so why should everyone else? I was pretty much told by him too bad not his problem, didn't want to help. Fortunately a nice woman at the desk named Fiordaliza said to us to come back at 12pm and she will put us in building 92 facing the pool. Needless to say he got a big tip from my husband.

After moving to the new room it was much better. The only thing is my son missed the maids making the animals out of the towels, they don't do that here but no biggie. The room was kept clean the only problem we had with the cleaning ladies is that they put a small bag of chips in your fridge and my son would have them for a snack at night. One night he didn't eat them and the next day when we were at the pool and our room was cleaned they took them!

The food was good, no complaints about that. Didn't do any a la cartes as my husband just wanted to do the buffet. The girls at the Jazmin door were always so nice when we came for breakfast and dinner. The wait staff were hit or miss, mostly miss until the last couple of days were got a waiter named Francois that would get our drinks for us as we sat down as he always remembered. Try to sit in his section if you can. I saw a few complaints about meat being under cooked but I didn't have any problems except in the morning with the bacon, it wasn't cooked enough for me.

The pool was nice, mostly spent the afternoons there and the beach in the morning. The beach is absolutly beautiful with powder white sand and turquoise water. I never really sat in the Esmeralda section of the beach as it is too far from the water. Also I did see other people from the other parts of the resorts sitting there so it isn't really exclusive to the Esmerelda anyway. Once in awhile a waiter would come down the beach to ask you if you wanted a drink but I was never asked. I guess I looked like I wouldn't tip or something, who knows. Also when I was there they were doing construction at the restaruant right across from the pool so that was noisy.

We would sometimes go to the Punta Cana side for lunch as you could just come from the beach or pool in your swimsuit and eat. Just wear shoes, the Esmerelda side required you to wear shorts and shirts. We never really ventured to the Punta Cana side much except for the shows at night.

The shows were actually pretty good. My son who is a huge Micheal Jackson fan LOVED that show. We went early to get front seats and it was worht it to see the joy on his face as he watched it. At the end of the show we could go on stage and take pictures so my son really wanted to get a picture with him and Micheal Jackson. God you would have thought it was the real deal with all the pushing and shoving. My son who is 6 years old was shoved and push by all these adults who I have to say were french and russian. I have never seen so many rude people in my life. I now have a very blury picture of my son and Micheal Jackson with a ton of other people. The show was well worth watching but forget the pictures. A dancer from the show came and spoke to my son during the show to say he was a good dancer so my son sought him out and got a picture with him, a very nice young man.

Overall I love Punta Cana for the beaches and the hot weather. I would definitely not return to this resort or recommend it to anyone. The construction is ongoing as well and they have a lot to go. They are turning part of it into timeshares and I don't want to be there for that. I think I may have to talk my husband into retuning to Punta Cana but maybe someday he will cave and we can go back. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me as I didn't include everything in this review.

Room Tip: Buildings 90,91,92 facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Bahia Principe’s Resorts as your holiday destination.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Regarding your comments about your room petition, we would like to let you know that these are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially our good food and the service from the buffet. It will be an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments, especially to Francois. He will be very happy and delight to learn your comments.

Please be assured that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guest’s needs and expectations. Besides, now your concerns are ours, therefore it’s our sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to show you our commitment to excellence.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Me and my wife just came back from a week at Esmerelda and absolutely loved it. We stayed in building 93 (room 93006) and it was everything we expected and more. I had read earlier reviews about construction noise so was a bit concerned, and while you could see that there was building construction going on adjacent to the property, we never experienced any disturbance or noise. All the staff were courteous, the room was very clean and just like the picture in the travel book. The food was good and better than Cuba. The grounds were clean and beautifull. We constantly saw grounds keepers tidying up and cleaning the pool in the evening. There were lots of places to walk around if you didn't wish to take the shuttle carts provided from resort to resort. We walked on the beach, which was always clean, with only a bit of seaweed first thing in the morning. So all around great place to vacation, would highly recommend it to anyone. The entertainment was fantastic on the beach and on the pool.

Room Tip: Very highly recommended
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for highlighting the good aspects such as courtesy staff, good food, clean grounds and fantastic entertainment. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda and continue providing the most memorable vacations.

Manalapan, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my first last and trip to this resort with my family. There are many wonderful parts but the negatives out weigh the positives.

The property grounds are quite beautiful and large. The problem is the resort is too large. To take a tram to get to the mini golf and tennis and the casino makes it unappealing. This property at the present time had but a single a la carte restaurant on site and thus tram travel was needed to get to any other restaurant.

The rooms are spacious and housekeeping was attentive. I would recommend building 90 or 91 with a pool view on the second or third floor.

The food at the buffets was diverse and tasty, though more European in appeal. In addition, they seemed incapable of preparing the steak anything except raw. Even when the food was sent back at the buffet, the outside was chared with raw centers. Do not miss the thursday seafood buffet!

The front desk was efficient and pleasant.

The beach and pools are clean and getting a chair with an umbrella was not an issue. Prior comments about once a day towel changes are incorrect.

The Wi Fi is free in the lobby, though you can only face time, not Skype. There are 2 computers available for usage when available. There is also unlimited Wi FI for $40/week per device.

Now the bad.

The customer service in the buffet restaurants was completely lacking at each meal. It was a chore to get drinks or refills. While they were efficient in cleaning the tables, one could wait 15-20 minutes for drinks each time. My wife was made to feel that she was asking for gold when she requested soda at breakfast. The chefs at the buffet were also not accomodating by nature. While we were all careful with avoiding any fresh greens/salads/water, this allowed all of us to leave unskathed by the frequent GI distress that others report

The property is adding an Oriental Restaurant (a la carte) on the ground which will be good since getting to the other restaurants was diffcult or impossible. The Italian restaurant on the grounds was very average. The Gourmet restaurant though was excellent.

In keeping with the failing to understand customer service, my wife was just about reprimanded when she asked about paying for resort photos with the parrots with my children that were taken. She asked about charging them to room and was spoken to quite rudely.

There are friendlier family resorts to visit. If I return to DR, the Iberostar Grand was much nicer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Regarding your comments about buffet restaurant´s service, let us inform you that your point of view has quite surprised us since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about their friendliness and efficiency. We have spoken to our Food & Beverage staff and management with regard to your experience, and the appropriate steps are being taken to ensure guest satisfaction.

Please let us remark that our food is subject to strict supervision. Significantly, the health and welfare of our guests are our priority and we follow a strict program of cleaning and constant monitoring of all quality standards in our hotel.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

We are glad to find out that there were some aspects from our services you find worth to mention, especially our grounds, lovely pool, lovely beach, nice room and good food.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!