“Great relaxing vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection

Save Saved
You added Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Crta. Arena Gorda - Macao, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #11 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Great relaxing vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I thought the place was gorgeous, the staff is amazing and friendly, rooms are very clean, food is okay and always fresh, although you will get sick of it after a while.
We picked the "Esmeralda" resort, because we were looking for more quick, relaxing vacation, and that it was. The Esmeralda resort is more family/couple friendly, if you want more of the younger crowd Punta Cana would be the place. However few other reasons why we decided to stay at Esmeralda was because it had it's own private beach only Esmeralda guests are allowed to stay there, also you are able to have book a la carte (restaurants) for every evening. You are also able to go to Punta Cana buffet and eat there. It is a step up from Punta Cana resort. It is a bit pricier however if you like the extras it is definitely worth it.
The staff was great they were very accommodating and friendly, they always seem to go out of their way to make your stay there unforgettable. Ramon Diaz was fantastic, if you have a special request he is the guy to talk to. The front desk Andy and Esteban were very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were always clean which was nice, always fresh towels.
The weather was great it only rained once and for few hours, and we went mid-September which is their hurricane season. I had a good experience and would definitely recommend this place as a more of quit, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Client,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together during your last stay with us.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that your wonderful comments will be forwarded to Ramon, Andy and Esteban.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

3,161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

To me the sign of a great holiday is whether you would go back. We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and we would go back there again in a heartbeat. HOWEVER, while the Esmeralda had some fine things to recommend it, we found there were more things we did NOT like. First, if you are using frequent flier miles to get to the DR, you can't get to Punta Cana so you are forced to fly into Santo Domingo and take a 3 1/2- hour taxi ride to Punta Cana - each way. Since that meant cutting our trip short by a day to take a taxi back the night before our flight in order to make a 7 am departure, I was hoping they would let us check out early (which I called about a week before what would have been our check out date) but was told they charge two nights to check out early. So we would pay $500 to get $250 back - outrageous! We instead stayed at Esmeralda until 7 pm on Saturday, took ANOTHER 3 1/2 hour drive and got a hotel near the Santo Domingo airport at an additional expense to our trip. By the way, I highly recommend Dominican Shuttles for transportation. Dependable and cheaper than the others - $349 round trip - with door to door service. Considering the fact that next to our building (#93) they were adding three more buildings of rooms and another pool - because those new buildings would be much farther from the beach - we had a LOT of construction noise during our entire stay there (we kept laughing at the signs on every floor asking you to speak quietly...wouldn't want to drown out the drills and hammers).

I agree with muppetto's review that this place has NOTHING to do on property except swim and lay in the sun. They have some beach yoga and stretching. I will say that the beach for this resort has the cleanest sand I have seen anywhere - they rake it every morning so NO SEAWEED (it's pristine). You have to get up early to reserve a chair. If you go to the beach cafe be prepared to wait a LONG time for a beverage. We finally got up to serve ourselves and were scolded by the wait staff who STILL didn't bring us even a water. The food at beach cafe and the resort's buffet is OK (some hits and some misses) with not much variety but some weird choices. Lunch meat and salad on all three buffets - breakfast, lunch and dinner. And I guess they have NEVER heard of salad dressing - ketchup and mayo were the only condiments (I saw someone actually put ketchup on their salad). The Don Pablo restaurant at the Anbar resort has great lobster but their desserts were dreadful - one was like a Hostess Ding Dong. But you can only eat out once. We agree that the WORST was the wine - considered putting it on the salad since it was like vinegar (both the white and red). They need to go to Trader Joe's and buy some Two Buck Chuck!

I also agree with Heterodyne's complaint about the Privilege Club harassment as they followed us around to harangue us into coming to their guest appreciation event with free massages and cheap gift watches. (No we don't want to pay $21,000 for a time share and to be able to use the special lounges and beach areas...oh and free Wi-Fi). We would avoid going into the lobby when the Privilege Club desk was open (they also kept calling our room). BTW, the free Wi-Fi in the lobby for all guests is a joke. I tried to connect and went to the Front Desk when I couldn't get on and was told that the signal is really weak and I should pay for the Premium Wi-Fi. Since I couldn't get my email, my husband back in the states called the hotel front desk - they confirmed I was staying there but they don't have voice mail so he asked them to let me know he called (12 times in four days) and of course they never did.

Kudos to housekeeping. They kept our room spotless and filled the fridge with our favorite beverages - we started taking our own drinks to dining room since it's difficult to get them there. This is not to say we didn't tip ($50 a day from my sister and me) for drinks, bell staff, housekeeping and the dining room waiters and grill chefs. So we had hoped they would be more motivated - like the Jamaican staff. Also most of them are not friendly like Jamaica except the Front Desk, the seating hostess and housekeeping...the rest are surly and few speak English. The pools are immaculate BUT the Adults Only pool - which is three Jacuzzis in one large pool - see the large photo for this resort - it had more kids in it than the regular pool. It's not heated but doesn't need to since it's so warm out. The jets run for 15 minutes on then 15 minutes off then repeat. The cabanas there are great and we put our towels in one on our way to breakfast every morning. Since no staff members ever patrol this secluded pool we were forced to reports the kids in the Adults Only pool and incurred the wrath of the parents who wanted to hang out in this pool with their kids in tow since it was obvious we turned them in.

This resort is actually many Gran Bahia resorts on one large property so they DO have golf cart buses to take you from resort to resort. We ended up having to walk a lot (sometimes in the rain) because the drivers would say that the Esmeralda was on their route and it wasn't so after being on for a while they would drop us at the end of the long road that ended at the Esmeralda. We went to the main resort - Punta Cana - were the taxi drops you off since there are only roads for golf carts on the resort property. This is where most of the shops are. They have like a mini mall with kiosks in the center. The kiosks are run by Haitians and they are very much into the hard sell. We literally ended up running away as they wanted to charge us $121 for 3 items. Got them down to $40 (still too much) then they wanted me to pay a $5 tip to the guy who brought me over to their kiosk. Some of their necklaces look like plastic and not turquoise so after they assured me the stones were genuine, I asked if I could hold a match to them since only plastic would burn...no? Needless to say I did not buy the fake necklace. The GB Punta Cana is also where all the "shows" are. If you like lip-syncing, this is the entertainment for you. One night was a salute to the movies with lip-syncing to the Grease sound track, another night was a salute to Grammy winners, another night was a a salute to Michael Jackson - all the dancers are very, very good. One night had a circus theme and they rigged up a trapeze - that was probably the best show. I don't feel like we got to know any of their personalities as no one spoke ever except the the emcee who doesn't speak English.

After a great time at the Gran Bahia in Jamaica, we were very disappointed in this resort and will never return.

Room Tip: Find out if there is any construction on the property then ask to be far away. The buildings have no...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We think is important to remark that our check-in time is at 15:00h and check out at 12:00h. However, we offer a late check-out service which is subject to availability and has an extra charge. And if a guest checks-out early the Hotel does not charge any extra money for it.

Regarding your comments about our staff, please allow us to inform you that we constantly monitor our employees through our Human Resources Department as well as the Bahia Principe Quality Department, in order to ensure that we are providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people.

Your point of view has quite surprised us since it is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback about our personnel’s friendliness and attentiveness.

In relation to your observations about the food in our resort, we must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at the Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any perception you may have about us.

Kind regards,

DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Having stayed at a few all inclusives, I think they are more similar than different

The place itself is what I expected. Most importantly, it is warm, generally sunny, relaxing, lush, and tropical and offers the beach with lots of chairs and a number of pools.

I was there over Veteran's Day weekend 2012, and it was clearly the beginning of busy season. They opened an additional breakfast place, and they were filling in an additional pool.

What it is not is a traditional 5 star hotel. of course, it is not priced like one either.

Overall, I found the staff very friendly, but not that good at their job.

For example, I asked if they sold an English language paper - they said they would deliver one to my room. Never happened.

I asked for change for a US20 for a couple days - they never had it and wouldn't get it.
At lunch the first day I ordered a soda at the buffet - it never came despite the presence of dozens of people working under 100 tables - at a buffet.

Overall, the food was fresh and fair. It's not great, but it helps with not overeating despite the availability.

Don Pablo was better than I expected. El Pescador was basically another buffet - they call it Mediterranean, but they don't even seem to know what that means - there was a big sign about cod from the North Sea.

The web site said free internet - I mistakenly thought that would be in the room. Nope - that is $50/week. It is in the lobby only, and in the lobby is a pretty crappy connection.

I don't regret going, and it was relaxing, but I would never go back to this property, although I am sure others would be more of the same.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing better service for our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

Regarding your comments about our Internet Service let us inform you that in our All-Inclusive package we offer Wi-fi (no charge) in the Lobby area, but in other places, such as pools, beach and rooms, have an extra charge.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort.

Despite these inconveniences, we hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any negative perception you may have.

South Shields, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Sorry for the late review,but here goes. Stayed here mid-september for what was supposed to be an amazing 2 week holiday and it ended up being a total borefest. It was so boring we checked out after 5 days and relocated to the Iberostar Bavaro,what a great decision. Nothing wrong with the food.rooms.or service we recieved.just the lack of any entertainment gives the impression that this hotel lacks heart & soul.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

We regret to hear that your perception about entertainment was not positive, but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort and we will give the matters the proper attention.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Kind regards,

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

When you pay several thousand dollars for a vacation, you expect to relax, unwind and enjoy yourself -- you don't expect to get the sales pitch every few seconds.

Be warned! If you go to this resort, you will be HOUNDED by salesmen trying to get you to attend their PRIVILEGE CLUB timeshare/private resort sales meetings. Me and my partner attended the meeting, after being promised a free helicopter ride for attending a 'one hour seminar' on the "Privilege Club". We attended, primarily to shut them up but also because we were told that we didn't have to sign up, and it would be 'low pressure' and there was 'no obligation to buy'.

Our room was then deluged with phone calls, confirming that we would be showing up, confirmations of our appointment times left on our beds, and other materials left in our room.

When we showed up, we were given the rockstar treatment, doors held open for us, a little flag with our country on it, and were plied with booze. What was described as a seminar was actually a one-on-one sales pitch with a very nice woman who used every Dominican sales/pressure/guilt trip in the book to plunk down, at that very moment, $21,000 to this company. When asked to see a copy of the contract or some time to research, we were told this was a 'limited time offer' and we could not have any time. When we said "no thank you," the nice saleswoman was replaced with a large, intimidating bald man with tattooed hands and gold glasses asking why we were wasting their time. When we demanded to leave, a third man (who was obviously American or Canadian) came over to once again convince us to give him $21,000 for this 'wonderful deal'. When we said no the third time we were ushered out (no one holding the door for us, the door slammed in my partner's face), we were given a bottle of rum, some honey and a cigar, and then ignored as we trudged up the stairs, no helicopter ride was in our future.

Even though we endured the 'seminar', the salesman kept hounding us every time we passed through the lobby, it got so bad that we ended up avoiding going anywhere near the lobby for the remainder of our trip.

The staff were very friendly, our room was well stocked with towels and cleaned, but others in our party hardly got service and had to borrow towels from us. The buffet restaurants were good, but the a la carte restaurants sucked with pretentious food and bad service. The grounds were beautifully kept, and the pool and beach were great. The concierge was helpful, and the shuttle buses were on time and never had an issue. One of the members of our party was wheelchair bound, and she seemed to get great service (the resort was also accessible for the most part, except for some issues with the pool)

The Privilege Club stuff was ridiculous, and is why I would never return to another Bahia Principe resort. Having the option to buy into their private property stuff is fine, but making a high pressure and intimidating sales pitch as part of the resort experience is low rent, cheap and not worth my money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

We regret to hear that your perception was not positive but be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort.

Despite these inconveniences, we hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any perception you may have.

Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was my first time at an all-inclusive resort and I have to say I was very impressed. The hotel was very close to the airport (about a 20-25 minute drive). The rooms were extremely clean, the staff was excellent, and the options for activities/dining really exceeded my expectations. I can absolutely see why this was rated the #1 hotel in the Punta Cana area, which was the main reason why I booked it. This is a resort I would absolutely go back to, you have a choice of 6 different hotels in the complex and are given the flexibility to use all of the facilities on each as well as a private beach. However, I think the Esmeralda given its location and proximity to the beach was the best choice. It is a little more secluded than the other hotels which are either at the front or middle of the complex and although it is not the “adults-only” hotel there the families that were there were extremely well behaved. The service was fast and efficient no matter if I was at the concierge, front desk, one of the restaurants or on the beach. The staff really pays attention to its guests and makes sure the experience there is one that you will not forget. I would recommend booking the Esmeralda whenever in the Dominican Republic, it was a great value for everything you receive!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from the entire team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays especially because of the good service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations and it is wonderful to know that you are considering visiting us once again.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon!

Regards from Bavaro.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is my 7th trip to the Caribbean in recent years and my 2nd to this resort. This is the only resort that I have visited twice because it is the best so far. My wife and I took my parents and they say it was their best vacation ever. I have also referred a few friends to this resort and they have thanked me and described it as their favorite holiday.

G:
Beyond good are the beaches of Punta Cana - truly amazing. If you haven't been there, you must go to believe. The added benefit of the view of the ship wrecked Russian ship is the icing for this resort.
The service - the resort was much busier this visit and the service was only "amazing" as opposed to "unbelieveable" like it was in the first visit.
The room was my second favorite that I have stayed in in the Caribbean (first being Cuba - Cayo Ensenachos). The Esmeralda suites were beautiful and brand new and very close to the beach. If you are booking though, do request an upper floor as I am betting the view of the ocean would be amazing. We were on the main floor and had no complaints as we had a a view of the pool and the beautiful gardens.
The beauty and upkeep of this resort is easily the best I have visited. In spite of all of the expansion and renovations going on, we were never disturbed as they are very careful to not impact the guests.
The food was excellent in both the a la cartes and the buffets. I especially enjoyed building mixed salads out of all of the fresh vegetables available.

B:
I have a few very minor complaints / suggestions. First, the resort needs more kayaks as there are always people waiting. Even implementing a simple booking list would help in this regard. Being told to hang around and check back every hour is not conducive to enjoying a relaxing vacation. My wife and I love to do the 2 person Kayak but were never able as there was only one of these available. We did do the 1 person kayaks after hanging around and waiting and thoroughly enjoyed.
The shuttle service is not as good as it was the first visit. With the resort being so large and busy, the service was not regular enough and the shuttles would often be full leaving you to wait another 10 or 15 minutes. By adding a few more, it would make the people flow much better.

U:
Nothing - this resort is spectacular. The Dominican people are amazing. Will likely return a third time in next couple of years.

My ranking of places I have visited:
Punta Cana (Gran Bahia) 10/10 first visit - 9.5/10 this visit

Extreme Dune Buggy - was awesome
Deep Sea fishing - not great
Horseback riding rancho Dominicano - was awesome
Outback Adventures - was very good

Hope you find this review helpful and truly hope you are able to visit this amazing place. Feel free to msg me with any questions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you could enjoy a nice time together during your last stay with us.

As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It is thanks to guests like you, that our Company has reached the success and gained prestige through the last years.

We thank you for taking your time sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!